Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No chance they'll implement the fully vaccinated only indoor scenario. That was just a spurious comment thrown in at the end to allow the more simple minded public digest the lack of plan amd complete can kicking thats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The current approach is casting lots of doubt on the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

What has happened to Irish Journalism?

Has one prominent journalist questions the data and models that Nphet have produced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Once you have enough money to book your family into a hotel for a week you can enjoy as much indoor hospitality as you like .. a nice swim in the pool a few pints before dinner a nice big indoor dinner and a few pints all the while looking out at the family that can’t afford the 2 grand hotel stay eating dinner in the pissing rain or sitting on a park bench eating sandwiches with no public toilets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Those modelling numbers effectively say 'anything might happen', rendering the model absolutely useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

Even if the 2100 deaths figure over 3 months happened its still about 1/4 of deaths that would normally happen.

I'm not playing this down and it's unfortunate for anyone who has lost someone to covid but at what point do we start living with this?

Going by 2014 stats around 80 people on average die every day in Ireland. Of the potential 20 covid deaths a day going by NPHET there is still a strong chance that people would more than likely have died anyway from other causes. Death is a way of the world.

Not being callous but we will jeapordise the future for almost everyone in the country for all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Ficheall wrote: »
    People on here who were saying "Look at (e.g.) Denmark - they have indoor dining - why can't we do that?"

Maybe they didn't know that was the case in Denmark . Funny you should pick up on that and not nearly every other country that allows it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Odd that there's no difference in the hospitalisation etc rates between their optimistic to pessimistic scenarios....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

kilns wrote: »
    What has happened to Irish Journalism?

Has one prominent journalist questions the data and models that Nphet have produced?
    The halcyon days of Vincent Browne seem like a distant memory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The halcyon days of Vincent Browne seem like a distant memory

We need to bring him out of retirememt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I do.

Fairly certain you did ridicule them yourself though!

All is forgiven now anyway;)

I did indeed. Happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

shockframe wrote: »
    Even if the 2100 deaths figure over 3 months happened its still about 1/4 of deaths that would normally happen.

I'm not playing this down and it's unfortunate for anyone who has lost someone to covid but at what point do we start living with this?

Going by 2014 stats around 80 people on average die every day in Ireland. Of the potential 20 covid deaths a day going by NPHET there is still a strong chance that people would more than likely have died anyway from other causes. Death is a way of the world.

Not being callous but we will jeapordise the future for almost everyone in the country for all of this.

Yes but at 2/3 times the average standard flu deaths per year the whole health care system would be completely overun if those figures became reality. Which is the bigger issue than actual covid deaths and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I feel sad for younger people , us older people will manage with sitting outside for a while . Younger people have waited so long for meeting up and chats and craic . They need the outlet of meeting in pubs and its once again taken from them
    All this will do is drive young people into houses , gathering in crowds on streets and by the canals etc
    Absolutely ridiculous thinking by out leaders now

M

US, Spain and Italy are all returned to relative normality, these were the global hotspots, they are using same vaccines as us, our approach is laughable.

harr wrote: »
    So on a family holiday for example the vaccinated parents can eat inside but kids have to stay in car park talk about killing the staycation mantra

I’m fully vaccinated but my husband isn’t. For our anniversary, I’ll take a window seat indoors and wave at him every now and then :D

M

Croke Park on All Ireland day might be open to 50 masked vaccinated people with this approach they are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1409851403024011267

No indoor dining until herd immunity? We have officially gone off the deep end

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Croke Park on All Ireland day might be open to 50 masked vaccinated people with this approach they are taking.

And 30 of them will be on the pitch with hurls and helmets

M

Reporters need to ask what the death figures are and why they are being hidden behind the IT hack.

For the day that's in it.

They think it's all over. It is now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

AdamD wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1409851403024011267

No indoor dining until herd immunity? We have officially gone off the deep end

Their behaviour is becoming more scary than the damn virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I’m fully vaccinated but my husband isn’t. For our anniversary, I’ll take a window seat indoors and wave at him every now and then :D
    Just find another full vaccinated fella to go with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

bloopy wrote: »
    Their behaviour is becoming more scary than the damn virus.

What are our options to push back against this? I've emailed TDs and just get the standard "following NPHET's advice" response that MM keeps giving. It feels like a waste of fecking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well folks, it’s been a tough 15 months, but I’d like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to the real heroes of the pandemic.

The ones who have kept their own jobs while calling for the closure of other people’s jobs and businesses.

You’ve played a strong part in making this happen.

Take a bow.

Great post. Nail on the head

We need to bring him out of retirememt

I'd love if Holohan had to face him.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

ypres5 wrote: »
    Tony doesn't like antigen tests, end of discussion.

Or alcohol. Don't be in any doubt this plays a huge part in his decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No chance they'll implement the fully vaccinated only indoor scenario. That was just a spurious comment thrown in at the end to allow the more simple minded public digest the lack of plan amd complete can kicking thats going on.

They will keep delaying week after week, saying they haven't figured out the solution etc... As you say kicking the can down the road.
    We must have delta+ variant in this country compared to the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

NPHETs model is ridiculous, their scenario of even with no Delta Variant, they predict 350 cases per day, despite figures consistently below this and vaccination rates continuing to rise.

Shame on all the Irish journalists who have allowed this propaganda to happen on their watch

edit: i have just read MM was asked would the info be allowed to be independently verified, he said no. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

I was deliberating for a long while about taking the vaccine, weighing up the risks an benefits, and this morning I made the decision to register for the vaccine, but after the announcements over the last few hours I think I am going to cancel it,
    Obviously the government and top health officials in the government have no confidence in the vaccines so what is the point risking any adverse effects against no benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

I was deliberating for a long while about taking the vaccine, weighing up the risks an benefits, and this morning I made the decision to register for the vaccine, but after the announcements over the last few hours I think I am going to cancel it,
    Obviously the government and top health officials in the government have no confidence in the vaccines so what is the point risking any adverse effects against no benefit.

Advertisement