Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

If your in you 20s an not likley to be fully vacinated for a while, you'd be better off going out today and getting yourself a dose of Covid. Good as new in a few days ( if any sympthoms at all, probably not) and you'll be allowed to have an indoor pint sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

kilns wrote: »
    NPHETs model is ridiculous, their scenario of even with no Delta Variant, they predict 350 cases per day, despite figures consistently below this and vaccination rates continuing to rise.

Shame on all the Irish journalists who have allowed this propaganda to happen on their watch

Yep. Some of them ask decent questions but refuse to push or challenge the guff they're served up in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

If your in you 20s an not likley to be fully vacinated for a while, you'd be better off going out today and getting yourself a dose of Covid. Good as new in a few days ( if any sympthoms at all, probably not) and you'll be allowed to have an indoor pint sooner.

Makes no difference, indoor pints/dining is off the cards for everybody at the moment until a date not given :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

People who voted for Fianna Fail.

How does it feel to see your party fcuk everyone under the bus because they're utter cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's hospitalisations and deaths we need to worry about now that we have the vaccines.

• Advertisement

It's NPHET we need to worry about now that we have the vaccines.

Fixed your post :D

I’m fully vaccinated but my husband isn’t. For our anniversary, I’ll take a window seat indoors and wave at him every now and then :D

:D:D

Thats funny and sad all at the same time .

Happy Anniversary

harr wrote: »
    Just find another full vaccinated fella to go with :)

Haha.

Then I’ll go home and give my unvaccinated husband a blow job cos that’s way safer than sitting beside him in a restaurant :D

Its so predictable at this stage.

Sad that some people were still saying its only another 2 weeks. We've made it clear today that indoor dining won't be allowed until herd immunity.

Forget about full stadiums, electric picnic, gigs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

US, Spain and Italy are all returned to relative normality, these were the global hotspots, they are using same vaccines as us, our approach is laughable.

Have various friends in the states mostly in NY and San Fran from my bartending days and they are all back to daily life. Covid isn't even in the conversation for most of them anymore. Restaurants, bars, nightclubs, sports events, house parties, weddings etc... all back to as was pre Covid.

Our approach here is absolutely pathetic and cowardly.

• Advertisement
    M

40,000 fans will be in Wembley this evening for England V Germany, we are being led by fools.

If I wasn't in college I'd be gone from this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

NPHETs model is ridiculous, their scenario of even with no Delta Variant, they predict 350 cases per day, despite figures consistently below this and vaccination rates continuing to rise.
    Not that I'm agreeing with their modelling, but based on the table, is their No Delta variant not 21000/~90 = 233 cases per day, which is well below what we've been having?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

More taxpayer money thrown at a sector desperate to re-open and could anywhere else in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Summer2020

It’s obvious they’re delaying opening pubs and restaurants to deter tourists from
    Coming this summer. Joke of a country.

M

Vincent Browne needs to come out of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

zuutroy wrote: »
    Those modelling numbers effectively say 'anything might happen', rendering the model absolutely useless.

It's like a weather forecaster saying that Tomorrow will be sunny, cloudy or stormy.
    Temperature will be between -10 and 40 c.
    Rainfall will be between 0mm and 100mm.
    Winds will be between 0mp and 100mph

If a weather forecaster came up with that forecast they would be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Shame on all the Irish journalists who have allowed this propaganda to happen on their watch

edit: i have just read MM was asked would the info be allowed to be independently verified, he said no. Shameful.

Shameful is right

No we can't question NPHET even with their absolutely BS modeling

Let's just accept that they are right

Martin is stealing a living when he just defer to Tony & NPHET

M

In the US they simply told people masks indoors were not mandatory for those vaccinated, no checks needed by anyone, it's self policing, those against vaccines can do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Absolutely gutted for certain restaurants and pubs who were hanging on by a thread. This was last chance saloon for them. They are done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cheezums wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted for certain restaurants and pubs who were hanging on by a thread. This was last chance saloon for them. They are done now.

seeing lots of places not reopened already. im suprised at how many have hung on this long.

still wondering how they justify the highest per capita covid borrowing in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Have various friends in the states mostly in NY and San Fran from my bartending days and they are all back to daily life. Covid isn't even in the conversation for most of them anymore. Restaurants, bars, nightclubs, sports events, house parties, weddings etc... all back to as was pre Covid.

Our approach here is absolutely pathetic and cowardly.

We love bad news / that’s why so many tune into late late etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Vicxas wrote: »
    People who voted for Fianna Fail.

How does it feel to see your party fcuk everyone under the bus because they're utter cowards

The problem is that the nPHEt monster is out of control

But it was allowed to grow

I’m convinced Charles Haughey, Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen or Enda Kenny wouldn’t have given them reins like Leo did last March

They can’t be stopped now, they won’t open indoor dining this year if they continue using imaginary metrics

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

What’s the plan for the epsilon variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll usually give NPHET the benefit of the doubt in that their primary purpose is public health and thus will be naturally cautious.

That letter from the CMO, is way beyond it though. There's cautious and then there's whatever this is.

I've only really skimmed it, but from what I can tell the thrust of it is, "The UK doesn't look great, the ECDC is pessimistic, so we have to consider the future of this infection to be entirely uncertain and proceed as if anything can happen".

In the models, the confidence margins are huge and the discussion has the word "uncertainty" liberally peppered all over it. The optimistic scenario suggests that we'd be up to 2,000 cases/day by the end of September, and still have a 2% hospitalisation rate.

The one big thing all of the models are basically ignoring, is the continued rollout of vaccines. It acknowledges that beyond September, all infections registered will likely only be in schoolchildren, but makes no allowances for the fact that as younger and younger people get vaccinated, the hospitalisation rate collapses. The transmission rate also drops off as children have smaller social circles and by all accounts spread the infection less. Positivity rates in schools have been consistently lower than the rest of the country.

By the time we hit 1,000 cases a day at the end of August in the model, practically everyone over 25 will be fully vaccinated. The models continuing ramping up the infections and hospitalisations like everyone is vulnerable.

This is the one, it's not going to go away, there's going to be ructions over the next two weeks. This is as close as we're going to get to a general election since last year IMO.

Indoor dining for vaccinated only until August is a good call. NPHET's requirement that "The planned easing of these measures should only proceed once a robust, non-reproducible and enforceable system of verification of vaccination or immunity status can be put in place to support this." is fvcking insane. The act alone of saying, "dining indoors is only safe if you're vaccinated" would be enough to smash the models without building a big red tape machine on top of it.

If I heard correctly, MM said that people with proof of previous infection will be allowed to dine indoors?
    I wonder will that give people an incentive to actually catch the virus? Or at least be less vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Absolutely gut wrenching news for many a small business. This will be the last straw for them. A know of one lovely couple who will now have to close their doors after more than 22 years in business.

Shame on this government, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's like a weather forecaster saying that Tomorrow will be sunny, cloudy or stormy.

I’ve seen it done

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

The vintners association and other hospitality industry representatives should refuse to engage with government over this, they’ve been led around by the nose over and over again. They are wasting their time talking to these idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Ah that's the way the do the weather forecasts here as far as I can see...........

Advertisement