Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We have issues with hospital capacity every year, COVID or not. It will be under pressure again in the near future, COVID or not. What's the solution here? We keep a significant number of businesses closed or severely limited until our recurring healthcare system issues are resolved?
    I haven't a clue, what would you do?

And not something vague about improving the system, what solution could we implement in the next 3 or 4 weeks? (other than suspending all elective admissions).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I’ve felt that I’ve been extremely fortunate to be in Sweden since day one of this pandemic. But now I am starting to worry. Really worry. Indoor dining is open here (well it never closed) which means according to Nphet we are about to see 1.400.000 cases of covid before the end of September. Why didn’t I just move back home where I could have been protected by the all knowing, all powerful Dr Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, the numbers at the outset are fine, as is the rationale, it's just the models that go off on one (as well the enforcement recommendations)

As you say, the "Central 1" model seems about the most realistic - if we were to pause vaccinations. As it stands, 90% of the over-40s will be fully vaccinated by the end of the July. The cases could ramp up, but the projected hospital and death numbers to the end of September just don't add up unless you discount the vaccination programme completely.

That's the thing that I'm struggling with here, I just don't see any scenario playing out through the numbers by looking at other countries where the hospital and death numbers get anywhere close to the projections.

Cases could indeed increase but that link that gave cause for concern between cases and hospitals and sadly death just doesn't exist to the levels forecasted, especially not by the end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I’ve felt that I’ve been extremely fortunate to be in Sweden since day one of this pandemic. But now I am starting to worry. Really worry. Indoor dining is open here (well it never closed) which means according to Nphet we are about to see 1.400.000 cases of covid before the end of September. Why didn’t I just move back home where I could have been protected by the all knowing, all powerful Dr Holohan.

Just tell the swedes to dine in hotels instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

hmmm wrote: »

And not something vague about improving the system, what solution could we implement in the next 3 or 4 weeks? (other than suspending all elective admissions).

Use the private capacity sure we have spent millions on it and didn’t use it, pay it again to get all the ridiculous waiting lists down to zero sure we are shìt deep in debt now whats another couple of billion.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Okay saying it now! The letter is a joke! The CMO and NPHET have gone beyond reproach!

They won’t come out and talk to media yet when it suits them they’ll ridicule a whole population just because they can. They’ve been let do it!

Summer is gone for indoor hospitality and if anyone thinks otherwise your heads are fully in the sand. The vaccine passports won’t work. They’ll have fakes etc..

The modelling is off the charts and total fear and scaremongering. It undermines the vaccine programme and it’s playing us all for fools

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

"We are all in this together", until in fact we are not all in this together.

As i near my 50's in life it's with utter embarrassment i see the way this country treats it's young. Then again haven't we always.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, the numbers at the outset are fine, as is the rationale, it's just the models that go off on one (as well the enforcement recommendations)

As you say, the "Central 1" model seems about the most realistic - if we were to pause vaccinations. As it stands, 90% of the over-40s will be fully vaccinated by the end of the July. The cases could ramp up, but the projected hospital and death numbers to the end of September just don't add up unless you discount the vaccination programme completely.

and what about those who cannot or indeed may not want a vaccine?
    what are they to do? it seems to me that this is more like a reward system to get vaccinated or as Newstalk call it, the vaccine bonus. It wasn't long NPHET were saying kids cannot spread it or are not even in danger, just so they could open the schools. Now with I'll bet one month between reopening and schools opening, you'll hear the same shyte peddled out and in fact even more draconian two tier system offerings in the wings. I'd have never believed it a year ago and yet here we are, the stick to get jabbed when the carrot failed to work..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

This. Exactly this. My partner is in France with indoor dining etc. open, according to the NPHET model tens of thousands are going to die there between now and September.

I mean surely it cant be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I feel really despondent today . The realisation that we have a cowardly mickey mouse Government who don’t give a toss about anything or anyone is actually upsetting me . We are left to our own devices basically and no one leading or guiding us .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭amandstu

This on the RTE (Fergal Bowers) page.Anyone explain what that means?

The warning is that while infections would occur largely in younger, unvaccinated people, as the force of infection grows, significant numbers would also be seen in older, vaccinated people"

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0629/1232066-nphet-view-of-covid-threat/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

That's the thing that I'm struggling with here, I just don't see any scenario playing out through the numbers by looking at other countries where the hospital and death numbers get anywhere close to the projections.

Cases could indeed increase but that link that gave cause for concern between cases and hospitals and sadly death just doesn't exist to the levels forecasted, especially not by the end of September

Yes a very odd projection. There is no mention of what the numbers vaccinated are expected to be at end of September, for example. You would think that would be pretty fundamental!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Thoughts and prayers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Anyone want to scale up the figures to an EU level and see what they're in for in the next 3 months, for a laugh. They need to be warned.

amandstu wrote: »

The warning is that while infections would occur largely in younger, unvaccinated people, as the force of infection grows, significant numbers would also be seen in older, vaccinated people"

It means the vaccine doesnt work as we'd hoped it does and the worst could be yet to come with this virus.

If you believe NPHET.

Anyone want to scale up the figures to an EU level and see what they're in for in the next 3 months, for a laugh. They need to be warned.
    Are NPHET not warning them? They have information that hundreds of thousands of Europeans will die.

The letter discusses this. We still have a significant group of more vulnerable people who haven't received their second vaccination, so they become at risk if there is a significant spread in younger groups.

"(75% of 60-69 year olds and & 46% 50-59 year olds have not yet received
    second dose; cohort 7 not yet complete)"

Hopefully most of them will be vaccinated over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

default nphet stance open nothing, then if numbers go down "look how well we did". if they go up "its everyone elses fault"

i suspect numbers will probably rise now as people give up and have house parties and nphet will say "told you so"
    (

The letter discusses this. We still have a significant group of more vulnerable people who haven't received their second vaccination, so they become at risk if there is a significant spread in younger groups.

Has there been specific advice to this cohort to isolate seeing as they are so exposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What we've seen before, like Christmas. If enough younger groups get infected older people are at risk. Now we have 40%+ fully vaccinated so quite probably not true.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this was posted earlier but bemusement and anger at the dining passport idea in government.
    “This thing just fell out of the clear blue sky,” said one Government figure of the move to give only vaccinated people the privilege of enjoying indoor activities this summer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/analysis-move-on-indoor-dining-for-vaccinated-fell-out-of-clear-blue-sky-1.4606883

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

We have issues with hospital capacity every year, COVID or not. It will be under pressure again in the near future, COVID or not. What's the solution here? We keep a significant number of businesses closed or severely limited until our recurring healthcare system issues are resolved?

So forever, because it doesn't seem that the government is in any hurry to provide additional capacity to hospitals.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted earlier but bemusement and anger at the dining passport idea in government.
    It only fell from the sky if you were completely naive and more interested in vague notions of "fairness" than actual practical solutions to keep businesses open during a pandemic.

Crocodile tears the lot of them. We could have opened pubs and restaurants weeks ago to vaccinated people. Israel showed the way months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sounds like a volte face may be in the offing as regards this daft notion of declaring your vaccine status to restaurants. Regina Doherty and Alan Kelly both agreeing that even cabinet members are enraged.

More than that, there are quite obvious legal questions around it, does the Attorney General even sit at cabinet anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So this is in relation to herd immunity. Herd immunity only works when it's across the entire population.

There are about 1.25 million people over 60 or otherwise vulnerable. If they're 100% vaccinated, there are still some for this group for whom vaccination doesn't work, about 5%, I think. That's 62,500 people.

Herd immunity works because if that was the whole population, the odds of one of those 62k people becoming infected and passing it onto one of the other 62k, is pretty small.
    But that's not the whole population. If we say that there are 2m younger people who are not vaccinated (about 50%), than that 62k vulnerable people are completely exposed to those 2m unvaccinated. As the infection numbers grow in that 2m, the odds of one of the vulnerable becoming infected, increase.

So it's not a case that we can just let loose with the infection in younger people. There would be a knock-on effect to older/vulnerable cohorts. We have to achieve herd immunity across the entire adult population, or at least achieve significant coverage all the way down to the young adults.

It only fell from the sky if you were completely naive and more interested in vague notions of "fairness" than actual practical solutions to keep businesses open during a pandemic.

Crocodile tears the lot of them. We could have opened pubs and restaurants weeks ago to vaccinated people. Israel showed the way months ago.

In the article, which you clearly didn't read, it points out it is (now was) government policy not to use them domestically but you did get to page 9 of NPHET's letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Denmark and Germany have something similar in place, only they also allow a negative antigen test, alongside proof of recovery and proof of vaccination.
    That is fair, and workable.

You're right, we could have done that months ago - but we didnt. Because NPHET dont like antigen testing, despite it proving very effective all across the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

My point isn't that someone should magic up a solution in a few weeks, that would be unreasonable. It's that at some point, we have to accept that our hospitals will be under pressure sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Every adult in the country will be fully vaccinated by the 13th of September, assuming they actually want one.

This is a complete shambles by all involved, NPHET, Martin and Co. Nobody will ever be held accountable for this either, we are watching a car accident unfolding right before our eyes.

• Advertisement

That's some incredible ineptitude for the 50-59 years olds to be so far ahead of the 60-69 years olds at this stage.

Advertisement