Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Proposal - NPHET (all 30 something of them) and the cabinet forego their massive bloated salaries until hospitality reopens, and donate it to hardship funds to help the workers out of their job.

See then if we get an end date.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

Proposal - NPHET (all 30 something of them) and the cabinet forego their massive bloated salaries until hospitality reopens, and donate it to hardship funds to help the workers out of their job.

Yup,stick the 38 of them on pup and see how long it takes for the projections to change downwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭brickster69

Not to mention a 140,000 at the grand priz

Arghh come on now. That does include the drivers and mechanics as well.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They'd have enough funds in reserve to weather a good few months on zero salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1409877490781364224

Interesting tweet

I wonder why the government didn't think about that?

Their excuse would be, what if the worse case scenario happens, 10 weeks may not be enough time.

But it's a risk you would have to take, if the models became close to reality, you would be forced back into harsh restrictions.

I wish they would model the next 3 weeks, see if they can even get close to being anyway accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

We have now got to a stage where NPHET are making stuff up to keep pubs and restaurants closed. That's the reality.

Originally I thought they'd do everything they could to keep things shut for the summer but I now think they may see how gullible the Irish people are and may aim for the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

TefalBrain wrote: »
    We have now got to a stage where NPHET are making stuff up to keep pubs and restaurants closed. That's the reality.

Originally I thought they'd do everything they could to keep things shut for the summer but I now think they may see how gullible the Irish people are and may aim for the new year.

I give them until August bank holiday at the latest before things turn ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I give them until August bank holiday at the latest before things turn ugly.

Sure after the that things will need to remain closed so that the schools can return

It's already in NPHETs letter

"A high level of transmission in late summer could have significant impacts on the reopening of schools and the tertiary education sector in Autumn.

However, it remains critical that we continue to protect the progress made over recent months, and continue to protect those most vulnerable to the severe impacts of COVID-19 and our core priorities of protecting health and social care, education, and childcare services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

People questioning the models must not be following other countries tbh.

We could have 10,000 cases a day at some stage and 1% hospital admissions seems to be the likely rate . That would mean 100 hospital admissions a day. That is plausible.

Hopefully we can get the vaccines rolled out. Its a bit concerning that their is no data on the J& J efficacy against the delta variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Oh look, there’s Wembley on the tv - home of the ‘Delta variant’.

How is Wembley stadium the home of the Delta variant? Or do you mean the UK generally?

How is the UK the home of the Delta variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

wadacrack wrote: »

We could have 10,000 cases a day at some stage and 1% hospital admissions seems to be the likely rate . That would mean 100 hospital admissions a day. That is plausible.

Hopefully we can get the vaccines rolled out. Its a bit concerning that their is no data on the J& J efficacy against the delta variant.

So we could have similar rate with 4,000,000 vaccines administered as we had 0 vaccines administered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I’ll bite. What country are you basing projections of 10000 cases a day in Ireland on?

George Lee making me lol on 9 ó clock news. Madman, completely bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

How is Wembley stadium the home of the Delta variant? Or do you mean the UK generally?

How is the UK the home of the Delta variant?

Yes the U.K. had 22,000 cases yesterday & 20,000 cases today. It is the epicentre of Delta in Europe.

There are 45,000 bodies sitting in Wembley despite this. We barely allow 5,000 at Croke Park.
    How is Boris going to reopen fully on July 19th despite the Delta variant circulating?
    How do the U.K. & NI have indoor dining open right now with Delta in circulation?

The answer to all of the above is vaccination & antigen tests too in use in many European countries. NPHET seem to think they don’t count or exist in their modelling. We’re either going to live with Covid or we’re not. What we’re doing at the moment is indebting ourselves with billions & dividing society in the process.

A Government minister stated he’d like an independent review of NPHET’s modelling. 15 minutes ago - it was clarified that was his ‘personal opinion’.
    Who got him to make that clarification? Why would the modelling not be independently verified along with observation of real world data all around us when the decisions being taken have such huge consequences.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1232045/?__twitter_impression=true

TefalBrain wrote: »
    George Lee making me lol on 9 ó clock news. Madman, completely bonkers

Advocating another lockdown ffs does the ex-TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Anyone else think the delay of freedom day in England gave our lot this idea? They seen it was largerly tolerated in England so lets do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its crazy to think that we could be in a very different situation right now if the so called leader of this country had the balls to say four simple words to one of his supposed advisors:

"Show me your workings"

Martin used to be a teacher, no? He should understand that concept you would imagine, so it continues to be very clear who wears the pants in that relationship.

Advocating another lockdown ffs does the ex-TD.

He's just trolling at this stage but it's the older people I'm worried about listening to his incidious bs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A Government minister stated he’d like an independent review of NPHET’s modelling. 15 minutes ago - it was clarified that was his ‘personal opinion’.
    Who got him to make that clarification? Why would the modelling not be independently verified along with observation of real world data all around us when the decisions being taken have such huge consequences.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1232045/?__twitter_impression=true

He clarified his statement or his career would follow the same path as Dr. Martin Feely for looking for clarity behind the models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

gral6 wrote: »
    Paul Murphy was calling for curcuit breaker hard lockdown today.

I'd say FF/FG are delighted to hear that. "You may think we are doing a bad job, but look at what's available in the opposition".

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Swaine wrote: »
    Anyone else the delay of freedom day in England gave our lot this idea? They seen it was largerly tolerated in England so lets do the same.

Everything is open in the U.K. and has been for ages. The tolerance you're on about is over the ENDING of all restrictions aka normal life once again. Those things no longer exist here anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Messi19 wrote: »
    Everything is open in the U.K. and has been for ages. The tolerance you're on about is over the ENDING of all restrictions aka normal life once again. Those things no longer exist here anymore

I'm well aware of the various differences hence why I said "freedom day".

You missed my point completely. :rolleyes:

So we could have similar rate with 4,000,000 vaccines administered as we had 0 vaccines administered?

The hospitalization rate would be closer to 10% with no vaccines

Spoof 1 : you can enjoy indoor dining again soon folks.
    Fact, only some can.. Incentive..take your vaccine if you want to have some normality. This is due to not only lack of uptake in Ireland but in other countries.

Spoof 2 : As EU citizens we can enjoy being part of Europe with the new green card system, holidays are that little bit closer now. Disincentive : pay 2000 Plus if you want to go on holiday this year and cannot prove it was essential. PCR test are not acceptable and antigen tests are not credible... per person

Spoof 3 : we are all in this together. We are not..Prohibition Indoor dining establishments must police and only admit citizens who have been vaccinated. It's against the law to admit those who are not or who cannot prove they recovered and obtained natural immunity.

I'm happy that the Gov and Co have lst the room, it took a while but the mask has indeed slipped and it seems like Tony has a job to do, get jabs in everyones arms ASAP at the cost of our country..there will be no economy or country to save..he needs to understand the term pyrrhic victory..

I’ll bite. What country are you basing projections of 10000 cases a day in Ireland on?

Scotland is one. They have a higher percentage of people vaccinated too. Look at the growth rates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The hospitalization rate would be closer to 10% with no vaccines

Hospitalisations are currently at 1% with vaccines in the UK.

Death rate is 0.1 per 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Scotland is one. They have a higher percentage of people vaccinated too. Look at the growth rates

And have they brought back any restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

215 in hospital and 20 in ICU

Cases really are a poor measure at this point.

• Advertisement

And have they brought back any restrictions?

That's not the point I'm making. I had said that that NPHET's modelling is plausible. The numbers today were if indoor dining was open on July 5th

Advertisement