Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

wadacrack wrote: »
    Scotland is one. They have a higher percentage of people vaccinated too. Look at the growth rates

A country with less restrictions than us and a bigger population have 3100 cases in a day and you’re using that to project 10000 daily cases here?

I genuinely don’t know what to say to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

duffman13 wrote: »
    215 in hospital and 20 in ICU

Cases really are a poor measure at this point.

Hospital numbers lag cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hospital numbers lag cases.

Yeah I know, they've less than 1% hospital admission lagging 3 weeks (usually suggested its a two week lag)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the 700k cases they predicted that would pretty much require a campaign of deliberate infection to ever come anywhere near that total.

A country with less restrictions than us and a bigger population have 3100 cases in a day and you’re using that to project 10000 daily cases here?

I genuinely don’t know what to say to that.

You don't understand the growth rate . That is why. I didnt project anything. I just stated that NPHET's modelling is plausible. Most countries are only at the start of the current wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,001 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Scotland is one. They have a higher percentage of people vaccinated too. Look at the growth rates

They had the equivalent of a Christmas day/St Patrick's Day last Friday though. Not a surprise cases would skyrocket after that match. We've nothing close to that coming up.

With the 700k cases they predicted that would pretty much require a campaign of deliberate infection to ever come anywhere near that total.

If people under 30 knew a year ago what nonsense was coming I'm sure plenty would've done it by now.

He said he did not have to use information phone lines advertised by the HSE because he had worked in the health system for 30 years and could pick up the phone to a number of professionals.

But he believed the Chief Medical Officer was the expert in this field and if Dr Tony Holohan said the vaccine was safe then it "was safe as far as I was concerned".

During cross examination Mr Bennett agreed there had been a series of newspaper articles about a controversy in Germany about the Pandemrix vaccine and that regular press conferences were held here to keep the public up to date about the pandemic.

He agreed that on 4 December there were newspaper articles about the virus peaking but the advice was to continue the vaccination programme because people were still getting sick. But he said the UK "was in treatment mode while Ireland continued to vaccinate".

It was put to him that it was still of significant value to continue to vaccinate and he replied, "that is what we were told".

He said a simple line on the information sheet given to parents that the vaccine had not been tested on his daughter's age group would have informed people more. He did not agree with HSE senior counsel Maurice Collins that to do so would have misinformed people. Mr Collins said to simply say that would have excluded all the other information which led to the vaccine's approval.

Earlier Mr Bennett said if his daughter had been in Newry rather than Naas, she would be well now.

"This is the only time I am ashamed to be an Irish man that I was not born in Northern Ireland, where there was a humane approach," he said, referring to the fact that mass vaccination had stopped in Northern Ireland in December 2009.

Mr Bennett said he believed it was a civic responsibility to get the vaccine to protect his children, family and community.

"We wanted to be responsible citizens," he said.

He said he heard the Department of Health Chief medical officer on the radio.

"I would have no reason to doubt him. The message was that the vaccine was safe," he told Mr Justice Michael McGrath.

He added that he thought it would be better to get it than not.

He said he has got the swine flu vaccine himself, but he was given the other vaccine which was available.

Mr Bennett said his family were "like mushrooms in the dark" and discovery of information and documents before the case has "brought a lot of information out".

You don't understand the growth rate . That is why. I didnt project anything. I just stated that NPHET's modelling is plausible. Most countries are only at the start of the current wave.

I understand the growth rate. I also understand that applying the growth rate from a different country and assuming that growth rate won’t drop is idiotic.

This is sheer disaster fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I’m afraid neither you or nPHEt don’t understand how the vaccine works

Luckily in every other country on earth, the people making the decisions do

We are just unfortunate in Ireland

• Advertisement

I understand the growth rate. I also understand that applying the growth rate from a different country and assuming that growth rate won’t drop is idiotic.

This is sheer disaster fantasy.

The growth of Delta has been pretty consistent in every country. I mentioned it weeks ago. I also said that its a race with the vaccines and infections and was called out on it.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1409975770898907139

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭klose

Currently enjoying a couple drinks in a nice hotel everyone spread out and a nice atmosphere, two days ago I was at a pub with plenty wedged under a big tent on top of one another. There's just no rhyme or reason to anything.

M

Why can we not have death figures, clearly they are being recorded, could they not give us a monthly figure? Why hide the most important data which actually matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Why can we not have death figures, clearly they are being recorded, could they not give us a monthly figure? Why hide the most important data which actually matters?

Because low death numbers won't suit their narrative.

M

Donnelly on Prime Time now waffling, if NPHET were advising on road safety they would be advising we close the roads in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Donnelly is just an embarrassment at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

That's not the point I'm making. I had said that that NPHET's modelling is plausible. The numbers today were if indoor dining was open on July 5th

The modeling numbers have never been right, of course they don't have to be, they just need to frighten the s**t out of cabinet Ministers.

The were pushing outlandish predictions back in March as a way to ensure we opened very little....despite the obvious increase in people's movement since February, the numbers have been steadily declining.

Now you either believe that lock downs are what is causing that or you don't, and you only need to look around the world at every where else to see we could achieved the same as everywhere else without destroying a huge percentage of our economy and further damaging people's mental and physical health.

This is going to cause a huge scar in the health of Irish people over the coming years, much bigger than the virus could have caused, and unlike the virus, this will impact all ages, from the mental health of young, old and everyone in between, to the now absolutely massive HSE waiting lists, not to mention the impact of the economic destruction of a significant part of our economy with certain permanent job losses and business closures.

All because our Government can't bring themselves to question the modelling numbers, that have been consistently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Donnelly on Prime Time now waffling, if NPHET were advising on road safety they would be advising we close the roads in the morning.

Only for 2 weeks

Just 2 more weeks, promise

M

If you were holding off on booking a holiday in Ireland it would make more sense to instead take a holiday anywhere else in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

Sarah is getting cross with him. She's actually leaning over the desk at him as the interview goes on.

• Advertisement
    M

I'd say schools won't be reopening in September at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ironically they might now get that. Remember the "Covid parties", if you told me kids were planning them right now I wouldn't be surprised, and frankly I couldn't blame them.

I'll say it again, it is a national ****ing disgrace what this country is doing to its youth.

The growth of Delta has been pretty consistent in every country. I mentioned it weeks ago. I also said that its a race with the vaccines and infections and was called out on it.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1409975770898907139

None of this explains where the figure of 10,000 cases per day in Ireland is coming from.

Even if that did happen, what happened to focusing on hospitalisations and deaths rather than cases?

If NPHET’s advice had been to see how things pan out in the UK over the next couple of weeks then open things up if it wasn’t bad, I could understand it. Instead, they just let Philip play with the computer again to see what big numbers he could come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Verona telling it as it is.

Miriam calling her a conspiracy theorist.

Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

NPHET are found out. They are finished

The modeling numbers have never been right, of course they don't have to be, they just need to frighten the s**t out of cabinet Ministers.

The were pushing outlandish predictions back in March as a way to ensure we opened very little....despite the obvious increase in people's movement since February, the numbers have been steadily declining.

Now you either believe that lock downs are what is causing that or you don't, and you only need to look around the world at every where else to see we could achieved the same as everywhere else without destroying a huge percentage of our economy and further damaging people's mental and physical health.

This is going to cause a huge scar in the health of Irish people over the coming years, much bigger than the virus could have caused, and unlike the virus, this will impact all ages, from the mental health of young, old and everyone in between, to the now absolutely massive HSE waiting lists, not to mention the impact of the economic destruction of a significant part of our economy with certain permanent job losses and business closures.

All because our Government can't bring themselves to question the modelling numbers, that have been consistently wrong.

Were quite accurate around Christmas. Other times not so much as restrictions were brought in.

Anyway no point arguing. Been over this at certain points before. I value medical opinions rather than some random posters on boards.

The most important things is to get this vaccine rolled out and hopefully we can move on past this awful time. But its not over yet sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

I'd like to see the growth/spread associated with NPHET's 700,000 cases mapped across Ireland, whilst taking full vaccinations and people who previously had covid into account, over the same period. It's hard to imagine how the hosts would interconnect to spread it given the above, our population density and normal daily movements. Based on the above, I don't believe it's any way near plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Ode to Nphet ala all saints,

Nphet f it have I ever felt so low
    When you gonna take us out of this black hole
    Nphet f it have I ever felt so bad
    The way I’m feeling, yeh you got me feeling really bad

But seriously I’m totally disillusioned in a country run by eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't think vaccine rollout is going to be enough to end this....does any one see Nphet being disbanded when the last vaccine is injected?

I think a mass movement of Irish people is the only thing that is going to end this lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ha

What a comparison

He's a fool and it's mad he's our minister for health

Advertisement