Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

zackory wrote: »
    Cases and deaths should explode in Europe soon, based on Nphets modelling.

I'd place a bet that nothing even approaching NPHET's worst case numbers will happen anywhere, but I doubt I'd be able to find a bookie stupid enough to take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Can we put NPHET on PUP payment as they have issued their recommendations to government? What the point of having them on the full pay now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ficheall wrote: »
    I was looking at worldometers. I guess it includes more countries? Your graph does show a different picture.

Just looked, Russia and UK the top two increases in cases. Russia heavily skewing both given numbers involved, particularly around Deaths.

The Russian vaccine rollout have been awfully slow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

rusty cole wrote: »
    so according to Leo, t his system will be lawful. It's not now but when they pass the legislation, it will be..are they having a laugh??

It's currently unlawful to collect our first born but if you make it legal, then of course it is lawful, that's the point..where do we stop writing new draconian laws to seperate society, this is absolutely shocking stuff to read..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/restricting-indoor-dining-to-vaccinated-people-will-be-lawful/ar-AALCczy?ocid=entnewsntp

Not sure when you stop writing new draconian laws but I'd say when your popularity is at the point where people call you by your first name only is not the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

And there is social distancing in pubs, they can also be mandated to leave doors open for ventilation, add in the vaccinated people in each group and the risk is greatly reduced.

Paul Moynagh spoke about installing air monitors as a basic tool to start. If the air is too stagnant ventilation is required (open windows, doors etc). Seems a very reasonable and easy measure to install and reduce risk along with possible antigen tests being used but sure Snake Oil and common sense....

• Advertisement

Very concerning day for the country when our future Taoiseach is talking about how things will be lawful when they make them law...

We desperately need there to be some form of opposition to all this madness. But no political party seems to be willing.
    The media seem to be 100% behind NPHET. No big organisation is making enough noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very concerning day for the country when our future Taoiseach is talking about how things will be lawful when they make them law...

We desperately need there to be some form of opposition to all this madness. But no political party seems to be willing.
    The media seem to be 100% behind NPHET. No big organisation is making enough noise.

Media is 100% behind NPHET and every political party is in NPHETs pocket. There is nothing other than lone voices out there who are easily dismissed as cranks and tinfoil hatters by politicians and media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I think they have the graph upside-down.

Cases continue to collapse in mainline Europe if you ignore Spain/Portugal.

Austria reported 29 cases yesterday and they have almost twice our population, but you cannot eat indoors without proof of a test/vaccination there. Hungary is down to 34 cases.

So basically its safer leave the country than stay here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

rusty cole wrote: »
    so according to Leo, t his system will be lawful. It's not now but when they pass the legislation, it will be..are they having a laugh??

It's currently unlawful to collect our first born but if you make it legal, then of course it is lawful, that's the point..where do we stop writing new draconian laws to seperate society, this is absolutely shocking stuff to read..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/restricting-indoor-dining-to-vaccinated-people-will-be-lawful/ar-AALCczy?ocid=entnewsntp

So they have to pass legislation to make this lawful? Could they not pass legislation for mandatory hotel isolation for every passenger coming into the country and try and work at keeping the infection out?

Look at how European countries were added to the list for mandatory hotel quarantine but were removed within days. They could have made that lawful as well. But no.

Now they want to it lawful to separate vaccinated and non-vaccinated people. It won't work out to well like the mandatory hotel quarantine they made a shambles of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Media is 100% behind NPHET and every political party is in NPHETs pocket. There is nothing other than lone voices out there who are easily dismissed as cranks and tinfoil hatters by politicians and media.

Anyone who opposes or questions is doing so for "political purposes".

This is all Martin & Varadkar ever say when asked to account for their decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Working at the Irish Open golf. Had to do a PCR test yesterday. Book in with one of the biggest countrywide privates testing outfits. In and out in 10 min. No bother. Got results in morning. Negative.

Massive flaw in system. Never asked for ID. Wasn't overlooked. It's not even part of their process. WTAF! Anyone could have gone in and impersonated me if I was riddled but needed a positive test. Unbelievable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They aren't shackled to the UK + their BoJo the clown corona-circus like Ireland is.

IMO July/August tourism from UK and NI should ensure their "Delta" variant dominates completely here just as it does in the UK.

I expect rest of Europe will be slower to suffer from their incompetence and stupidity than we are, similar to situation with "UK" variant after Christmas.

They probably have more time than us to get their fully vaccinated % up IMO...so expect what happens in UK is less of a problem for (edit: most!) of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He's just out to face the barrage of abuse over this and explaining how they will implement what NPHET are forcing them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

If Michael McNamara wanted to run a few like minded TD's - I would vote for them in a heartbeat. He's the only TD, bar a few others independents consistently calling out what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

If Michael McNamara wanted to run a few like minded TD's - I would vote for them in a heartbeat. He's the only TD, bar a few others independents consistently calling out what's happening.

They are all trying to gauge public opinion on this, once the public changes mood the politicians will quickly jump boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

After the last 24 hours I think we can all agree that this thread should be moved to the conspiracy theory section lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The UK generated a perfect storm
    1. Poor vaccination levels in minority groups
    2. Left the door wide open to India for weeks and given the UK-India historical connections the UK was where people with money or family ran to, see 1
    3. AZ as the primary vaccine, while a great vaccine you need to double dose to beat Delta and even then Pfizer has the edge
    4. Dragged out the Pfizer schedule to 12 weeks as well
    4. The UK attitude of over promise, they have gotten very lax on basic precautions and pubs are open and the next step is stage 0, every restriction gone. Utter madness

We are not in a great place but we are in a much better position.
    1. Pfizer is the primary vaccine
    2. Almost 100% take up across the entire population offered, ahead of almost the entire of Europe and this is what will save us as we will get very very close to 100% coverage in risk groups
    3. We haven't gone mad with opening up
    4. If the NHPET projections are based on the UK growth rates the projections are junk

Central Europe while mostly open as a few massive advantages
    1. They have very low and failing case levels so Delta will take while to get stuck in
    2. Mostly ahead of us in vaccinations but a small %
    3. They eat outdoors in the Summer anyway...
    4. Due to the hesitancy they opened up to all 18+ and this means you have more even distribution of vaccinated people which breaks the chain of transmission. Ireland probably has the lowest % of under 30's in the EU with a jab and the numbers show covid is running riot in the 18-25 age bracket.

So we are basically playing a herd immunity strategy for under 30's this Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Relax brah wrote: »
    After the last 24 hours I think we can all agree that this thread should be moved to the conspiracy theory section lol

Why?

And there we have it. Pray tell why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Let's assume the current government goes the distance and the pandemic and lockdown are firmly behind us. Would you still?

• Advertisement

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Why?

Some people had the temerity to question NPHET so obviously they are tin foil hatters. NPHET are infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sure look when NPEHTs even optimistic scenario is off the wall and doesn't come through that will hopefully be the end of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

seamus wrote: »
    Looks, let's simplify this. I know most of these comments are in bad faith, but sure lookit.

Imagine the risk of getting covid was on a scale of 1 to 10. 1, where you're standing alone minding your own business outside. 10, where you're snogging someone with a recent positive swab. Everything adds or removes risk points from the scale.

Indoor settings with randomers, adds 6 points. Outdoor settings with randomers, adds 1 point.

So a cinema is 7 points.

Add social distancing, take away 1 point. Add masks, take away 1 point. Add ventilation/HVAC, take away 2 points.

So the cinema is actually 3 points.

A pub indoors, is 7 points. No masks, no social distancing, no air con. Add alcohol, +2 points.

9 points for indoor drinking.

Outdoor drinking, is 2 points. Add alcohol, +2 points. Brings it up to 4.

A gym, 7 points. With social distancing & HVAC, 4 points.

Don't take this is as an example of a perfect weighting system, or starting throwing in "what about pubs where they have all the doors open and fans blowing", it's just examples of why the risk profile of various indoor locations differs. And why alcohol and indoors is vilified.

Thats why indoors is only opening after all those other things. Only being allowed open them to unvaccinated until we reach herd immunity is nonsense.

Where's NPHETs projection of we open indoors from 19th July? Surely that would of been reasonable. And wheres the projections now we can use other vaccines for under 40s? And where was the projections if we kept indoors closed or only to vaccinated? Absolutely no projections. It's actually insane. This decision isn't based on modelling, it's based on what NPHET want. Even without Delta they'd have done this.

You used to be a reasonable informative poster across all the forums on here before this. Not so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

As this has gone on, threads that were sent to that forum are more likely to be sent back here than the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

George Lee on RTE news there absolutely revelling in this ****! Talking about the Nphet modelling as if it were gospel, says that people will be frightened by the high figures in weeks and months to come and hopefully will reduce contacts - which the government want!

Did I miss the memo that the vaccines don't work or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And there we have it. Pray tell why?

Because it is all they have.
    Smug dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They are all trying to gauge public opinion on this, once the public changes mood the politicians will quickly jump boats.

Disagree, hes had some clangers himself but he's been against many of the restrictions even when the public mood was for them. I respect that at least.

And then have it moved back when everything comes true again?

Hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

What I cant understand is if this delta variant is as transmissible as NPHET claim why have they allowed hotels to stay open and serve patrons indoors.

Surely the first thing you would recommend is close all indoors dining and indoor hotel stays.

Its crazy unvaccinated people can book a stay in a hotel but cant use a local restaurant.

ITS GUBU 2021 style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Big day tomorrow everybody - the 1st of July.

We will finally be able to see if NPHET's round of modelling for July was accurate and maybe that will help us see if their modelling this time is worth listening to.

What was the prediction for July again? Oh right, 7000 cases a day. Yep, 7000.

Fergal Bowers on May 1st - "NPHET modelling to Govt this week suggested Covid-19 cases could rise to 7,000 a day in July if there was a significant increase in social contacts."

Advertisement