Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Well, there's no right answer to this stuff. 67% of people have a first dose, 44% 2 doses. These numbers will be 80% and 70% by end of July, that's a big difference. I think it makes sense to wait a few weeks. I think it would be hugely dispiriting to reopen and then have to bring restrictions back, like they are doing in Portugal right now.

I know people are sick of hearing just a another few weeks. But another few weeks at this stage makes a big difference at the rate we are vaccinating.

But it is not just a few weeks. It is almost 3 weeks until the date that the government confirmed that they'd have a plan in place. When they plan to implement that plan is another matter. I'd assume maybe after the August bank Holiday based on our form. Then there is no date at all mentioned for the unvaccinated.

When we reach July 19th, who is to say that NPHET won't update their models and predict 16000 cases a day when schools reopen if we allow indoor dining?

I know that sounds ridiculous. But NPHET have done this time and time again. Why not do it again in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Bsharp wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

I take your point and largely agree. My position centred around getting the right people vaccinated as part of any strategy. However, what you've described above is not what was presented, discussed or agreed between NPHET and the government; from what I can gather anyway.

Agreed, the whole discussion centred around vaccine passports for indoor dining (a mad idea). I'm hoping we'll have a bit more clarity in 3 weeks and things will look a lot different.

By the way, antigen testing is just as good as being vaccinated for indoor dining (and probably better)- the vaccines are not 100% effective at stopping transmission ( maybe only 70% or so with the delta variant)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Wasn't this revised downwards with the lower delivery volume?

No, using AZ and J&J for younger people should get us back to those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

No, using AZ and J&J for younger people should get us back to those numbers.

Ah, I hadn't considered that. Exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

People are being lied to by those who claim that other countries have reopened indoor dining without restrictions. There are lots of restrictions, and many countries require evidence of vaccinations. It's an obvious step we should have planned for months ago.

Some countries may allow antigen tests (I've no objections to them), but we can't go picking and choosing the weakest restrictions from across Europe and demanding this be implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote: »
    People are being lied to by those who claim that other countries have reopened indoor dining without restrictions. There are lots of restrictions, and many countries require evidence of vaccinations. It's an obvious step we should have planned for months ago.

Some countries may allow antigen tests (I've no objections to them), but we can't go picking and choosing the weakest restrictions from across Europe and asking for them.
    And a step the government also said they were not going to make policy some months ago, so somewhat moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

How long do people think cafes and small restaurants will ask for proof of vaccination ?

A week ? 2 ?

Who gets called if they don't ? The guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

How long do people think cafes and small restaurants will ask for proof of vaccination ?

A week ? 2 ?

The first weekend.

Then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

Well, there's no right answer to this stuff. 67% of people have a first dose, 44% 2 doses. These numbers will be 80% and 70% by end of July, that's a big difference. I think it makes sense to wait a few weeks. I think it would be hugely dispiriting to reopen and then have to bring restrictions back, like they are doing in Portugal right now.

I know people are sick of hearing just a another few weeks. But another few weeks at this stage makes a big difference at the rate we are vaccinating.

From what I've seen the restrictions in Portugal are quite light touch, and they have had several months of relative normality before this.

If we had to go back to a month of outdoor dining at weekends in September, or 2 metres between tables or whatever its a lot better than our stay closed just in case our crazy models are right strategy.

A week ? 2 ?

Best to wait and see what type of regime is imposed first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

is_that_so wrote: »
    And a step the government also said they were not going to make policy some months ago, so somewhat moot.
    That's all very well, but the only other alternatives are to ignore the medical advice (not going to happen) or force businesses which could open to remain closed.

I'm still of the opinion that a few weeks will buy us enough time to get the most vulnerable fully vaccinated, but guesses about the future are no way for businesses to plan.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Best to wait and see what type of regime is imposed first.

I think it's pretty straight forward what it will be if implemented . Something you show on your phone or can print off with your name and status on it

A week ? 2 ?

And will they turn away a party of 6 on a Saturday night if 1 member forgot his paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

A week ? 2 ?

The first 5 customers through the door,after that,**** it

That's all very well, but the only other alternatives are to ignore the medical advice (not going to happen) or force businesses which could open to remain closed.

I'm still of the opinion that a few weeks will buy us enough time to get the most vulnerable fully vaccinated, but guesses about the future are no way for businesses to plan.

The next 3 weeks are crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Some countries may allow antigen tests (I've no objections to them), but we can't go picking and choosing the weakest restrictions from across Europe and demanding this be implemented.

Usually its proof of vaccination or a negative antigen/pcr test. which is the fairest way as long as the antigen tests are free as the vaccines are free. This is the least discriminatory approach. I still have my doubts as to the need for it as by the time they have figured it out every adult will be vaccinated and the need won't be there.

I think it's pretty straight forward what it will be if implemented . Something you show on your phone or can print off with your name and status on it
    Yeah, I can see a word with F in it and staff just saying you're grand. Few shops forced their staff to address people without masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

zackory wrote: »
    And will they turn away a party of 6 on a Saturday night if 1 member forgot his paperwork?

I can see it now,the most eager member of staff striding down through the restaurant shouting

“Papers,Papers,”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I’d say you’re spot on about waiting a few weeks - even if it doesn’t get enough people vaccinated, we’ll have a clearer picture of what’s going on in the UK with Delta.

We seem to have inexplicably decided to do a u turn on our stance on vaccine certs and are now going all in on that instead.

It's not nonsense. Its just a new concept. Once its accepted and normalized it will be just like needing a ticket to get into a gig. There is plenty of kids in those setting stamping tickets etc.

Just like seatbelts, the smoking ban, masks etc, people will eventually just get on with it.

tony knows how many people a year die in car accidents from not wearing belts and drink driving.
    Tony does not trust an irish man to use an antigen test for fear a negative test means go for the and multiply the virus. next Tony will be telling people to self administer sobriety tests daily if they drive a car..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

According to the CMO, they would not recommend indoor dining until end of September at the earliest but for vaccine passes.

So that’s all of July, August and September with continuing vaccinations before NPHET would recommend a return to indoor hospitality in any form.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Name one country in Europe that doesn't allow indoor dining with an antigen test?

Picking and choosing the weakest? You actually can't be serious.

zackory wrote: »

can you imagine taking a booking for 12 and the birthday boy is 21 that night.
    they all arrive and upon questioning, all but the guest of honour are vaccinated...gas stuff...struggling business loses 12 guests in one swoop!

so I suppose at time of booking you'd have to ask, are you all vaccinated?? listen to how bad that sounds....any which way you look at it.

Sorry mate

You had covid 9 months and 1 day ago

Show yourself to the door

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1410251593702912003

There's an abundance of caution, and then there's...this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sure what's another few billion in pup payments?

Seriously that article is an insult, they have to go

Well at least we can know by watching every other country in Europe if they are right or wrong.

If he gets it totally wrong it will be a case of the boy who cried wolf next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rusty cole wrote: »
    can you imagine taking a booking for 12 and the birthday boy is 21 that night.
    they all arrive and upon questioning, all but the guest of honour are vaccinated...gas stuff...struggling business loses 12 guests in one swoop!

so I suppose at time of booking you'd have to ask, are you all vaccinated?? listen to how bad that sounds....any which way you look at it.
    We can all invent stories that make our point for us.

If the business took a booking for 12 and didn't make the vaccine requirement clear at the time, and didn't take a deposit, then more fool them.

• Advertisement

how would you prove you had it?

At XMAS Tony said Covid was so prevalent that if you have symptoms, assume you have it. So if that's the case and most stayed home and recovered, how do they prove the had it? the system was overwhelmed and it even broke down.

Couldn't you just say, I had it and recovered? you cannot retroactively take a test
    what do you do there?

see below

https://www.thejournal.ie/flu-like-symptoms-covid-19-5316051-Jan2021/

Advertisement