Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

seamus wrote: »
    We can all invent stories that make our point for us.

If the business took a booking for 12 and didn't make the vaccine requirement clear at the time, and didn't take a deposit, then more fool them.

I'm taking a scenario and all of a sudden I'm hans Christian Anderson??

yeah Ok Shamless, I mean Seamus, we can all invent figures/stats to make our policies too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

is_that_so wrote: »

Dont see anything wrong with that, obviously just wasting there time offering appointments that these people clearly will not take up. So move on to those that do want it anything that speeds up the process is fine in my book.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1410251593702912003

There's an abundance of caution, and then there's...this.

I take your caution and raise you more caution:

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1410264840011145228

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

AdamD wrote: »
    I take your caution and raise your more caution:

??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

If the business took a booking for 12 and didn't make the vaccine requirement clear at the time, and didn't take a deposit, then more fool them.

Aren't you flip flopping on this . I'm sure you said a few weeks ago this wouldn't be brought in as it was totally impractical .

Now it's being brought in it's the right decision ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I take your caution and raise your more caution:

What do they mean he "rejected" the idea

Shouldn't the rejecting be done by the government i.e. the people we ****ing elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Aren't you flip flopping on this . I'm sure you said a few weeks ago this wouldn't be brought in as it was totally impractical .

Now it's being brought in it's the right decision ?

A load of posters here we're saying they'd rather wait longer like we were doing and open indoors fully rather than have a pass system like other countries. Now we're waiting even longer and are going to have a way more restrictive system due to no antigen testing and they think that's a reasonable and logical thing too. It doesn't matter what NPHET say theres a cohort on here who will eat it up and look for their gold stars from Tony when it's all over.

Klonker wrote: »
    A load of posters here we're saying they'd rather wait longer like we were doing and open indoors fully rather than have a pass system like other countries. Now we're waiting even longer and are going to have a way more restrictive system due to no antigen testing and they think that's a reasonable and logical thing too. It doesn't matter what NPHET say theres a cohort on here who will eat it up and look for their gold stars from Tony when it's all over.

I think you will find the posters you are talking about are civil servants

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/nphet-would-have-recommended-indoor-dining-stay-closed-until-end-of-september-or-beyondbut-for-vaccine-pass-says-cmo-40598801.html

NPHET would have recommended keeping pubs and restaurants closed for indoor dining until the “end of September or beyond” had they not proposed a vaccine pass, the Chief Medical Officer has told Opposition TDs.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/nphet-would-have-recommended-indoor-dining-stay-closed-until-end-of-september-or-beyondbut-for-vaccine-pass-says-cmo-40598801.html

NPHET would have recommended keeping pubs and restaurants closed for indoor dining until the “end of September or beyond” had they not proposed a vaccine pass, the Chief Medical Officer has told Opposition TDs.

It's just ego out of control . It's happened for months . When questioned double down . I'm the sheriff around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

From a practical point of view evidence of vaccinations makes the most sense as a short-term measure if NPHET are adamant about indoor being unsafe.

We can argue for the next few months about antigen tests, or wearing an onion on your belt, or whatever other alternative people come up with, but that's of no use to businesses who otherwise will not be allowed open - they are being very badly led by those who think they can pressure the government into ignoring the health advice.

At the moment we have too many people who are being unrealistic about what the government can do in the face of clear medical advice, have too many random ideas about what they would do and think we should spend weeks debating this, and are rejecting all other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭prunudo

Have they been invaded by Isag or something. I knew they were over cautious before but they seem to be taking it to another level the last few days. Somebody needs to take them down a peg or 3, have got way to big for their boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

People will lie on the phone about all being vaccinated.

Taking deposits now to enforce Covid rules.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

should have been chewed out of it and told to come up with workable solutions (like the rest of europe) or a least had his salary cut to PUP levels.

instead of this every time i worry i call for a lockdown, i cant work with people like that. give me solutions! not problems i have loads of those !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

zackory wrote: »
    People will lie on the phone about all being vaccinated.

Taking deposits now to enforce Covid rules.

Christ.
    I wonder if restaurants are more nervous of poor online reviews or this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the man who wrote a report into how to restrict alcohol in Ireland which as a result led to minimum pricing among other things, was considering recommending an indefinite closure of pubs beyond September.

No, that cant be right !

Klonker wrote: »

And now they want everybody to pay a deposit before they go out and if they are not all vaccinated or somebody forgot their proof or whatever they lose the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't sound like me, open to be proven wrong though. I do say a lot.
    I said if it was brought in, it would be on a trust basis because we have no actual way of policing this. That will still be the case on the 19th as far as I can see.

We'll end up with a system where you declare that you're vaccinated, or you have a test done and the business can choose to let you inside or not.

Insurance/Elf & Safey will mean that businesses will do this and will turn away anyone who says they're not vaccinated.

It's far from ideal, but coupled with the usual health measures it'll do fine up to the end of the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

hmmm wrote: »
    From a practical point of view evidence of vaccinations makes the most sense as a short-term measure if NPHET are adamant about indoor being unsafe.

We can argue for the next few months about antigen tests, or wearing an onion on your belt, or whatever other alternative people come up with, but that's of no use to businesses who otherwise will not be allowed open - they are being very badly led by those who think they can pressure the government into ignoring the health advice.

At the moment we have too many people who are being unrealistic about what the government can do in the face of clear medical advice, have too many random ideas about what they would do and think we should spend weeks debating this, and are rejecting all other alternatives.

But these are being used in other countries...

NPHET/The Government have consistently shown no appetite to try and make things work. Its too easy for them to just say no.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tony Holohan should not be rejecting ideas. Tony Holohan should be outlining advice (privately) to Government whose job it is to reject ideas.

This has gone beyond too far now. The Government are reliant on a doctor and are running the country on whatever he decides, whereby all his concerns are on one single issue which is the transmission of one virus. There appears to be no consideration for the financial side of things either, everything comes down to "Covid infections".

The main thing that worries me is how accepting of this the Irish public have become. This is absolutely outrageous.

Could you imagine the reception in 2018 if we had shut down indoor hospitality out of concern for flu infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I just realised that (aside from some recent Gourmet Tart baked goods) it's been over 16 months since I've eaten a non-home-prepared meal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's just ego out of control . It's happened for months . When questioned double down . I'm the sheriff around here

The game was up when Tony came back on that Sunday night last October and we went from sorta Level 3 to Level 5 restrictions overnight without question from government apart from Varadkar who was forced to bow down to Tony in the following days. There has been just one man in charge of national policy in this country since that moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder is this going to be another one of these ridiculous messes like MHQ where NPHET get the blame for "blindsiding" the government, only on review to find out that NPHET have been recommending a "vaccine pass" for months and been ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

is_that_so wrote: »

Interesting they publish it the day after saying AZ and J&J will be given to young people. Reminds me of the take it or back of the queue attitude to the over 60s

Insurance/Elf & Safey will mean that businesses will do this and will turn away anyone who says they're not vaccinated.

What has insurance / health and safety got to do with it.

And no, every business will not turn away every person who is not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wonder is this going to be another one of these ridiculous messes like MHQ where NPHET get the blame for "blindsiding" the government, only on review to find out that NPHET have been recommending a "vaccine pass" for months and been ignored.

None of their previous letters to government mentioned a "pass" that I can recall. All the letters are openly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

But these are being used in other countries...

NPHET/The Government have consistently shown no appetite to try and make things work. Its too easy for them to just say no.

keeping this closed means you cant be proved wrong, the meaningful xmas was ridiculous giving people a 2week splurge after months of lockdown and unrestricted international travel (at least from the uk if the town i live in was anything to go by)

then when it goes wrong go out and blame everyone, so now the default is keep it closed , how long they think they can keep borrowing money for this makes me wonder, i wouldnt be surprised to see us careering to imf2.0 under martins leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

zackory wrote: »
    And now they want everybody to pay a deposit before they go out and if they are not all vaccinated or somebody forgot their proof or whatever they lose the deposit.

Then you let the ones in who didn't forget. Restaurants work ar reduced capacity, and if a table doesnt show up, they should righty keep the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Look on the brightside. . . The EU digital travel scheme opens tomorrow Europe wide for every EU country except one!

Oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

hmmm wrote: »

Have a day off

Advertisement