Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting reverse psychology. Though I'm not sure the majority of people need to be babied like that.

His theory - I presume also pays some credence to infection rates otherwise it somewhat smacks of simply playing to the mob.

Odd thing is that the US overall have had fairly patchy and light restrictions with high case numbers and deaths

And yet after an initial high demand for vaccination - some there don't seem to want to be vaccinated

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/health/2021/05/05/covid-19-vaccination-demand-us-slows-outreach-efforts-intensify/4924019001/

The healthy majority didn't need to be sacrificial lambs for a tiny minority either. It's rather simple, if you browbeat the public relentlessly with excessive restrictions eventually some will openly rebel. Fourteen months of "concern" becomes irritating white noise, and many have adjusted by blocking it out entirely. Life must go on, social distancing and masks will become an afterthought before long as vaccines make their mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Interesting reverse psychology. Though I'm not sure the majority of people need to be babied like that.

His theory - I presume also pays some credence to infection rates otherwise it somewhat smacks of simply playing to the mob.

Odd thing is that the US overall have had fairly patchy and light restrictions with high case numbers and deaths

And yet after an initial high demand for vaccination - some there don't seem to want to be vaccinated

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/health/2021/05/05/covid-19-vaccination-demand-us-slows-outreach-efforts-intensify/4924019001/

It will come, the younger attitude is that if enough of you are taking it I will be fine, hopefully they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It’s extremely disingenuous to say the US overall had light restrictions and high case numbers/deaths. A lot of those high numbers came from states with harsher restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The healthy majority didn't need to be sacrificial lambs for a tiny minority either. It's rather simple, if you browbeat the public relentlessly with excessive restrictions eventually some will openly rebel. Fourteen months of "concern" becomes irritating white noise, and many have adjusted by blocking it out entirely. Life must go on, social distancing and masks will become an afterthought before long as vaccines make their mark.

Yet the majority are indeeed those who have observed restrictions imho.

No-one I know has been "brow beaten". Most can make up their own minds regarding the potential risks of infection and benefits of vaccination for all. A global pandemic is not "white noise" no matter how it is spun. And the "rebels' are generally the same social media warriors regardless of what is going on in the world.

But yes we know restrictions overall have kept the infection rate down whilst we roll out vaccinations. And from there things should be better. Its not rocket science tbf

It’s extremely disingenuous to say the US overall had light restrictions and high case numbers/deaths. A lot of those high numbers came from states with harsher restrictions.

Thankfully that bizarre idea has been debunked many times already.

But yes overall the US overall had light restrictions and high case numbers/deaths

And you may as well try and argue that Dublin is a different country to Cork or Kerry or Galway...

Let me guess - we will be presented with Florida and one or more hand picked states as "evidence" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thankfully that bizarre idea has been debunked many times already.

You may as well try and argue that Dublin is a different country to Cork or Kerry or Galway...

Very different, more like comparing Sweden to Ireland, many states had very different approaches

Very different, more like comparing Sweden to Ireland, many states had very different approaches

Massive difference trying to fudge things by comparing a state to an entire country or an entire country to a state...

But some do seem very found of fudging things tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

As of 8pm

In hospital 114 (increase of 3)
    In ICU 32 (decrease of 2 and no deaths)

Last Saturday 8pm

In hospital 122
    In ICU 41

Massive difference trying to fudge things by comparing a state to an entire country or an entire country to a state...

But some do seem very found of fudging things tbf.

It's somewhere in between, but my statement is closer than you comparing cork and Dublin, states have different laws etc.

It's somewhere in between, but my statement is closer than you comparing cork and Dublin, states have different laws etc.

It is more correct to say some states may have some significantly different laws with regard to covid etc. But that does not change the fact that overall the US as a country has had light restrictions and high infection / death rates compared to those countries which have had more consistent restrictions

• Advertisement

It is more correct to say some states may have some significantly different laws with regard to covid etc. But that does not change the fact that overall the US as a country has had light restrictions and high infection / death rates compared to those countries which have had more consistent restrictions

You have edited the post I originally replied to and already edited this post before I saw it so you are backtracking, American states are not comparable to Dublin and Cork no matter how much you edit, they have different laws, different views and the power to take their own approach in America, also if you look at the fact that they are struggling to get people to take vaccines their politics and culture are issues.

You have edited the post I originally replied to and already edited this post before I saw it so you are backtracking, American states are not comparable to Dublin and Cork no matter how much you edit, they have different laws, different views and the power to take their own approach in America, also if you look at the fact that they are struggling to get people to take vaccines their politics and culture are issues.

Htf could I materially "edit a post before you saw it" and you don't know if I fixed a spelling or similar? But more importantly what "backtracking" exactly?

The reference word is 'overall" no amount of "but Florida" or otherwise changes that. Or are we just going to be pedantic?

Edit: I edited this post post to fix my grammar. Is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What timeline needs to be put on the removal of face masks in public? Once you have openly offered and potentially provided everyone do you just then decide to open it all up weeks later. Anyone not vaccinated can do their own prevention methods like staying indoors forever if they wish, home delivery of food is available etc. I don't think we should allow any unvaccinated person arrive in the country unless they have private health insurance coverage for treatment here.

Htf could I materially edit a post before you saw it? And what "backtracking" exactly?

The reference word is 'overall" no amount of "but Florida" or otherwise changes that...

The post I quoted originally is now changed, if you felt it was correct why change it? as for why you edited the last post I don't care and probably shouldn't have referenced , good night.

The post I quoted originally is now changed, if you felt it was correct why change it? as for why you edited the last post I don't care and probably shouldn't have referenced , good night.

Changed how exactly? The point remains overall the US has had high infection / death rates and None of that changes the fact that  overall  the US as a country has had light restrictions and high infection / death rates compared to than countries which have had more consistent restrictions.

Changed how exactly? The point remains overall the US has had high infection / death rates and None of that changes the fact that  overall  the US as a country has had light restrictions and high infection / death rates compared to than countries which have had more consistent restrictions.

I think I probably agree with you on many issues, the fact that this is maybe the tenth post on the fact that you regard the the variance in restrictions/approach in different states of the US to being similar to Cork and Dublin says alot about you, realistically that statement is not defendable, yet still it goes on rather than say you made a mistake, keep digging.

I think I probably agree with you on many issues, the fact that this is maybe the tenth post on the fact that you regard the the variance in restrictions/approach in different states of the US to being similar to Cork and Dublin says alot about you, realistically that statement is not defendable, yet still it goes on rather than say you made a mistake, keep digging.

That's the thing - I don't. If you misread my comment regarding the "overall" rates of infection / deaths in the US - then that's something else. But no matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Anyone following Texas?? I know you can’t quite compare regions but it’s strange how well they are doing considering they have pretty much abandoned everything since March...Not suggesting we do what they do but it makes for interesting reading...

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/14/texas-coronavirus-mask-order-abbott/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyone following Texas?? I know you can’t quite compare regions but it’s strange how well they are doing considering they have pretty much abandoned everything since March...Not suggesting we do what they do but it makes for interesting reading...

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/14/texas-coronavirus-mask-order-abbott/

It's not mentioned in the article, but Texas is at about 40% first doses, and about 10% confirmed cases per capita cumulatively. Assuming the cases are underreported, they might have 60% with a good degree of immunity.

For Ireland those numbers are more like 25%, 5% and 35%. So we're barely half way there. Plus unknown effects of weather and variants.

Not long now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Probably half pissed while entertaining...

Restrictions are only for the plebs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Philip Nolan’s tweet is very odd. How is an antigen test snake oil?

His attempt at humour just comes off as arrogant and unprofessional.

I can see GPs not liking antigen kits as they erode a revenue stream for them but overall I would have thought them to be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I can see GPs not liking antigen kits as they erode a revenue stream for them but overall I would have thought them to be a good idea?

They don’t like them because they think people will be complacent if they get a positive test. Strange that they have been used in countries like Germany.

I can see where they are coming from, but I do recall they had the same view in respect to mask use until around June last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

They don’t like them because they think people will be complacent if they get a positive test. Strange that they have been used in countries like Germany.

I can see where they are coming from, but I do recall they had the same view in respect to mask use until around June last year.

But why snake oil? That implies antigen tests are a scam.

At some point we’re going to have to take the stabilisers off and get on with life, I would have thought these antigen kits could be a valuable tool for people wondering whether their head cold is just that and being able to plan accordingly.

To me this is just another example of our health officials not having a huge amount of faith in the public’s ability to exercise personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

At some point we’re going to have to take the stabilisers off and get on with life, I would have thought these antigen kits could be a valuable tool for people wondering whether their head cold is just that and being able to plan accordingly.

To me this is just another example of our health officials not having a huge amount of faith in the public’s ability to exercise personal responsibility.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Check has he a vested interest in PCR testing!

It may be odd but then so was Lidl's tweet whose attempt at humour could also be deemed 'arrogant and unprofessional" for a supermarket.

I dont think it has anything to do with GPS "revenue stream". GPs refer patients for testing if necessary based on a medical diagnosis.

I believe the main issue is accuracy. But not of the Test itself - rather how / where it is done.

d41586-021-00332-4_18844374.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There are hundreds of companies out there selling antigen tests.
    They're concern isn't public health. It's making a profit.

People will assume they all work the same because they all have the word antigen on them. They don't all work the same. Some will perform better than others.

They trial their products on people with covid symptoms suspected as having the disease and come out with stats like 95-100 accuracy .

Studies on their use for the public show poor performance in people with no symptoms.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Check has he a vested interest in PCR testing!

Where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I would have thought these antigen kits could be a valuable tool for people wondering whether their head cold is just that and being able to plan accordingly.
    The problem is that people will use these antigen tests to decide whether their head cold is just that and use them to plan accordingly.

Except the tests are more prone to saying covid is a head cold than other tests are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

It may be odd but then so was Lidl's tweet whose attempt at humour could also be deemed 'arrogant and unprofessional" for a supermarket.

I dont think it has anything to do with GPS "revenue stream". GPs refer patients for testing if necessary based on a medical diagnosis.

I believe the main issue is accuracy. But not of the Test itself - rather how / where it is done.

d41586-021-00332-4_18844374.png

Ah come on.....People have low expectations of a supermarket chain when it comes to advertising. A person in his position has different standards to uphold.

You say doctors refer where necessary but the problem is if you go in with pretty much any ailment and it’s automatic PCR test- my wife had a bad gastric problem a couple of weeks ago and went to the docs, more because she was becoming dehydrated from not being able to hold fluids down- referral for PCR. I’ve heard a good few similar stories so can understand why people are somewhat sceptical about the status quo, especially when other countries are using antigen tests without ridicule from senior health professionals.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Advertisement