Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Irish people have been nastily shaming those who broke these inane restrictions for well over a year now, why would it be out of bounds to do it now just because they are possibly connected to NPHET?

We can make jokes about traveller weddings but have to quietly ignore NPHET families, is that it?

I couldn't give a **** if a member of NPHET broke Covid rules. If its an adult, they've individual responsibility, different situation if it was the actual member of NPHET. Someone's cousin/brother etc might have completely different ideologies and opinions so hardly a stick to beat them with really.

Also McKenna is off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Irish people have been nastily shaming those who broke these inane restrictions for well over a year now, why would it be out of bounds to do it now just because they are possibly connected to NPHET?

We can make jokes about traveller weddings but have to quietly ignore NPHET families, is that it?

What is a NPHET family? Someone related to someone broke the rules?

Seriously so what. Unless it was a member themselves it really doesn't matter. I have a feeling this is nothing if it's a relative.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is Ewan McKenna. He's a lying piece of sh*t with a massive chip on his shoulder and he has been at this crap for years.

This is the same person who lied about what happened to Dublin footballer Johnny Cooper when he was stabbed and tried to put the blame on him.

This is the same person who tried to get two inter-county footballers kicked off their panel for going out on the tear before a Super 8s game a couple of years ago - which turned out to be completely untrue.

He's riling up everyone who are angry and people like you are falling for it.

He has nothing, but he lets on that he does and he brings family members into a conversation.

He claims to have 'morals' but yet he's teasing Twitter about these photos he has and the CMO about 'having an email'. If he's threatening members of NPHET with photos of family members when he actually has nothing, then he's a scummy bastard and so is everyone else who is blindly supporting this compulsive liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,416 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What is a NPHET family? Someone related to someone broke the rules?

Seriously so what. Unless it was a member themselves it really doesn't matter. I have a feeling this is nothing if it's a relative.

I couldn't give a bollocks about the rules. I'm just curious why those who should be held to a higher standard are instead apparently being held to a lower one?

Faugheen wrote: »
    He claims to have 'morals' but yet he's teasing Twitter about these photos he has and the CMO about 'having an email'. If he's threatening members of NPHET with photos of family members when he actually has nothing, then he's a scummy bastard and so is everyone else who is blindly supporting this compulsive liar.

I don't give a single **** about the messenger.

Why does being connected to NPHET mean it is out of bounds to highlight them breaking some rules?

• Advertisement

Basically the entire public has lost their f*cking minds over having a meal or a pint in restaurants. Cop the f*ck on, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah another Ewan McKenna supporter.

How about you 'cop yourself on' instead of showing support for an alcoholic who is looking for attention by bringing family members of advisers into public discourse? Especially when he has nothing.

Stop embarrassing yourself. If you can. And stop spreading lies about me.

All I did was call out your disgusting behaviour trivialising what happens in “gangland”.

I couldn’t give a toss about that journo or whatever he is.

But amazing to see you try to take some sort of moral high ground while labelling someone online as an alcoholic.

Do you get a kick out of that buzz of cyberbullying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Normal One wrote: »

Important to note that she's a zero covid lunatic, the equivalent of Tomas Ryan here.

I don't give a single **** about the messenger.

Why does being connected to NPHET mean it is out of bounds to highlight them breaking some rules?

I never said it wasn't out of bounds.

What is out of bounds is threatening the above when you have absolutely nothing, which is what this lying piece of sh*t has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This is Ewan McKenna. He's a lying piece of sh*t with a massive chip on his shoulder and he has been at this crap for years.

This is the same person who lied about what happened to Dublin footballer Johnny Cooper when he was stabbed and tried to put the blame on him.

This is the same person who tried to get two inter-county footballers kicked off their panel for going out on the tear before a Super 8s game a couple of years ago - which turned out to be completely untrue.

He has nothing, but he lets on that he does and he brings family members into a conversation.

It's really quite stupid as well.

Does he think that they are going to do a massive u turn because he has photos of Someone's family member.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Stop embarrassing yourself. If you can. And stop spreading lies about me.

All I did was call out your disgusting behaviour trivialising what happens in “gangland”.

I couldn’t give a toss about that journo or whatever he is.

But amazing to see you try to take some sort of moral high ground while labelling someone online as an alcoholic.

Do you get a kick out of that buzz of cyberbullying?

He is an alcoholic. He gets pissed and goes on tirades on Twitter. The man needs help and needs to stay off the bottle.

That doesn't make him any less of an 'odious' person, as he likes to say himself.

You call out my behaviour but yet you're happy for Ewan McKenna to spew his bile and say zilch on it. Good man yourself. Nice priorities there.

As I've said, Ewan McKenna has no problem spreading lies in an attempt to ruin other people's lives. To see some people in here lapping up this **** and defending it is shameful.

He has nothing, because if he had something he would have passed it on to someone else to take all of the heat instead of pretending to be this upstanding citizen on Twitter while whipping everyone else into a frenzy.

And people are falling for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

Anybody here who supports that is an out and out scumbag just like he is.

So much for supposed to be civil to other posters viewpoints around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Was really expecting you to have more dirt on him tbh

You poor thing.

Speaking as someone who lost a family member to COVID very early on in the first wave, we couldn't even have a funeral. They were brought straight to a crematorium and we couldn't even go inside. So I can quite frankly see through your faux-outrage about funeral numbers.

The suggestion is that it's a family member of a NPHET member. That's bang out of f*cking order bringing people who have no bearing in the conduction of the public health advice into this. It's proper gangland sh*te that is and to see people thinking it's ok to threaten people who are simply doing their f*cking job with pictures of their family member is below the f*cking belt.

NPHET advises, government decides. The problem here is we have a spineless bunch of idiots who are frightened of their sh*te of getting it wrong like they did at Christmas.

And now that scumbag (which you seem to be making excuses for) is going public about pictures he has but won't publish. He's a fool and he's playing on people's frustrations and anger for his own gain.

Morals my f*cking hole.

Lovely faux outrage from yourself there. You'd swear nobody else had to endure the harshness if restrictions during the darkest days.

Your words made it quite clear that your issue was that it was about a family member of NPHET:
    The suggestion is that it's a family member of a NPHET member. That's bang out of f*cking order
    Yeah I am.

Threatening a member of NPHET with photos of a family member has gone way beyond the levels of basic human decency.
    but to actively support some pr*ck who is trying to rile everyone up by insinuating he has compromising pictures of a family member of someone on NPHET? In what decent society is that in anyway acceptable? How??

Of course your words since make it clear that your actual problem is with McKenna himself, you have just dressed it up in fake outrage about this particular story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Fairly pathetic stuff even by the low bar Ewan sets.
    I'd say he's imagining himself to be some sort of Bond villian.

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1411071958612054023

Fairly pathetic stuff even by the low bar Ewan sets.
    I'd say he's imagining himself to be some sort of Bond villian.

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1411071958612054023

Wasting your time.

People here think it's perfectly fine what he's doing.

What is out of bounds is threatening the above when you have absolutely nothing, which is what this lying piece of sh*t has.

How do you know he has nothing?

Wasting your time.

People here think it's perfectly fine what he's doing.

I love your faux outrage

Wouldn’t think his dirt is up to much to be honest. If it was gold, he’d release it. Chances are it’s something borderline (if there even is something), and it could backfire on him.

A dangerous game. He seems to have lost a lot media wise so doesn’t have much to lose, a loose cannon. But they can do damage. Interested to see how it pans out.

Paddy Cosgrave did something similar with his big tease and reveal which only happened to be Martin telling a Garda to take off their mask. Which even though it was a minor thing surprisingly didn’t make much headway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

zackory wrote: »
    How do you know he has nothing?

So if some started tweeting we're all living in the matrix and some billionaire on planet delta is faking a pandemic to milk our tears to line his margarita glass, we have to prove that's false?
    Or do you believe that's true because they said that?
    Or can you prove that's false?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Wouldn’t think his dirt is up to much to be honest. If it was gold, he’d release it. Chances are it’s something borderline (if there even is something), and it could backfire on him.

A dangerous game. He seems to have lost a lot media wise so doesn’t have much to lose, a loose cannon. But they can do damage. Interested to see how it pans out.

Paddy Cosgrave did something similar with his big tease and reveal which only happened to be Martin telling a Garda to take off their mask. Which even though it was a minor thing surprisingly didn’t make much headway.

I think paddy cosgrave went further with claims about health care worker deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Normal One wrote: »

I think the TLDR is a bit misleading. Worrying stats on hospitalizations, comforting stats on death would have been my choice. Good thread and it will be interesting watching the UK over the next few weeks.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I think paddy cosgrave went further with claims about health care worker deaths.

Forgot that was him, too. The Martin story was what he used to launch his new website.

I’ve got to say, I’m surprised we haven’t seen a high profile figure caught out for something since Golfgate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'm not following this thing about the pharmacies not knowing/not having signed up.

Am I misinterpreting this on HSE website - it's been there for a few days?

Find a pharmacy giving the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine

Many pharmacies are now offering the Janssen single-dose COVID-19 vaccine to people aged 18 to 34 and 50 or over. Find a pharmacy to book your vaccine appointment.

https://www2.hse.ie/Apps/Services/PharmaciesServiceList.aspx

Is it that they are talking about 35-50 age group?

I had a look at the list earlier this evening when I first read of the announcement for 18 to 34 year olds. It looked like the list of participating pharmacies was still being populated.

You say that the vaccinated person over 80 is 6x more likely to die.

Didn’t the uk cmo say that last year every 1000 cases resulted in 60 deaths whereas now 1000 cases results in 1 death.

60 times less deadly

That stat would still allude to NPHET’s death projection being way way off regardless of less vaccines being administered here

Of course continuing the vaccinations is important, but reopening is just as important

Confirmed cases - 25% positive rate in spring 2020 in the uk with 4K cases per day, 1.5% positive rate now with 20k cases per day.

They were likely at 150k cases a day at peak of wave 1. That would be 6 deaths per 1000. Now it’s closer to 2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think the TLDR is a bit misleading. Worrying stats on hospitalizations, comforting stats on death would have been my choice. Good thread and it will be interesting watching the UK over the next few weeks.
    Is there any breakdown on who's being hospitalised, bearing in mind that the UK up to 25% hesitancy in some elderly groups? Would also say that there is more than a hint of setting out to frighten people and being utterly seduced by the the data. UK positivity rate BTW was down from 3.5% to 2.5% yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Micheal Martin has inadvertently admitted, it was all for nothing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...lity-1.4608222
    Defending the Government’s handling of the pandemic in the face of criticism from his party, he also said an average of 2,245 more people would have died if Ireland had followed the Swedish strategy which he said some people had called for.

Given the average median age of Covid death is, what, 83, and the vast, vast majority of those who have died of/ with Covid were already very seriously ill.....

....would I be correct in saying that the overwhelming majority of the 2245 people Micheal claims to have saved, have actually died anyway in the last 15 months? And that in the long term we will record higher deaths than Sweden because of cancer treatment delays?

Of the 2245 people, the stats suggest 1122 of them would be 83 years old and up.

Most of the rest weren't far off this age.

The majority of them already had very debilitating conditions and had not long left.

Have we tanked our economy, our social lives, our mental health, to save a group of people who have largely since died anyway? Cancers, sepsis, and the general accruement of ailments that come with advanced age?

Of course, there were fit, healthy 71 year olds who would have lived to 96 who died of Covid.

There have also no doubt been fit, healthy 27 year olds who would have lived to 96 who died of suicide due to the constant house arrest and the government refusing to even give a crumb of hope of a way out like Boris did.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Maxface

Still failing to see what the Governments actual plan is at this stage? Is there any? If the virus rips through the unvaccinated and the talk of getting children vaccinated next year, are we gonna still be at this until then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Micheal Martin has inadvertently admitted, it was all for nothing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...lity-1.4608222

Given the average median age of Covid death is, what, 83, and the vast, vast majority of those who have died of/ with Covid were already very seriously ill.....

....would I be correct in saying that the overwhelming majority of the 2245 people Micheal claims to have saved, have actually died anyway in the last 15 months? And that in the long term we will record higher deaths than Sweden because of cancer treatment delays?

Of the 2245 people, the stats suggest 1122 of them would be 83 years old and up.

Most of the rest weren't far off this age.

The majority of them already had very debilitating conditions and had not long left.

Have we tanked our economy, our social lives, our mental health, to save a group of people who have largely since died anyway? Cancers, sepsis, and the general accruement of ailments that come with advanced age?

Of course, there were fit, healthy 71 year olds who would have lived to 96 who died of Covid.

There have also no doubt been fit, healthy 27 year olds who would have lived to 96 who died of suicide due to the constant house arrest and the government refusing to even give a crumb of hope of a way out like Boris did.
    Have you citations for any part of that, or did you make the entirety of it up?

Advertisement