Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nuts102 wrote: »
    They are following the science so I don't see why they would open up because people are fed up.
    They are following a set of projections which could prove to be wildly wrong! It's not people being fed up, it's the uncertainty it brings to a very wide range of other economic activities and of course increasingly government finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

They are following the science so I don't see why they would open up because people are fed up.

The science points to:

1. Vaccinated people are protected from the virus and the variants. In three weeks time the vast majority of over 40’s will be fully vaccinated.

2. Antigen tests do have a role to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

VinLieger wrote: »
    Of course there's nothing wrong with being a teacher, but we don't need a teacher we need a Taoiseach

Martin is not a teacher. He’s not registered. He’s a politician since the late 1980s.

God knows what some of you on here thought of John Major .... who left school at 16.

A person’s intelligence or leadership abilities are not reflected by their job description and those of you on here slagging off NPHET should investigate the qualifications of its members

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In my view:

- delay in indoor hospitality by a few weeks was probably on balance the correct decision.
    - the next 2/3 weeks will see the vast majority of 40 plus fully vaccinated.
    - the new arrangements for those less than 35 on vaccinations will also have an effect.
    - we are on the home straight.

Despite all this, NPHET overplayed their card on the modelling. Same as they did on masks and have done on antigen tests.

The problem with over playing the card is that people loose confidence and trust in what they say .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The problem with over playing the card is that people loose confidence and trust in what they say .

Indeed. Even McConkey recognises this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I find this Twitter page decent most days but he does spout doom and gloom. It’s 48 in hospitals and forgets to mention that there’s no discharging at the weekends!

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1411624297567764480?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Martin is not a teacher. He’s not registered. He’s a politician since the late 1980s.

God knows what some of you on here thought of John Major .... who left school at 16.

A person’s intelligence or leadership abilities are not reflected by their academic qualifications and those of you on here slagging off NPHET should investigate the qualifications of its members

NPHET are being "slagged off" for their behaviour, their overzealous focus on data models and seeing case numbers as the only measure of how many will end up in hospital. 400-500 cases a day for months and we have 14 in ICU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

A person’s intelligence or leadership abilities are not reflected by their job description and those of you on here slagging off NPHET should investigate the qualifications of its members

People are slagging off NPHET because almost every other country in Europe and every state in the usa is getting on with it and living with covid and NPHET lack the ability to move on.

Not sure what qualifications has got to do their failings tbh.

is_that_so wrote: »
    NPHET are being "slagged off" for their behaviour, their overzealous focus on data models and seeing case numbers as the only measure of how many will end up in hospital. 400-500 cases a day for months and we have 14 in ICU!

I understand some of the frustration.

Martin is a member of a cabinet of 15. He has one vote when decisions are taken like lockdown. Let’s discuss the professions of the other 14 ... shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

is_that_so wrote: »
    That so-called tsunami is based on something we are not doing next Monday and one might argue yet again that the next two weeks are crucial. They are for two reasons, one is to see how UK data goes, which is where our projected numbers are coming from, and the second is to go hell for leather on vaccinations this month so that the available pool shrinks substantially. Now there is no great confidence that July 19 will mark a difference in approach but no appreciable increase in hospitalisations should put the government in a better position to make decisions.

Just 2 more weeks

Promise

• Advertisement

I understand some of the frustration.

Martin is a member of a cabinet of 15. He has one vote when decisions are taken like lockdown. Let’s discuss the professions of the other 14 ... shall we?

You seem to be upset because you are a teacher and you perceive your profession is being sagged off or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There's science and then there's Irish science.

zackory wrote: »
    You seem to be upset because you are a teacher and you perceive your profession is being sagged off or something?

Not upset at all.
    It’s just a stupid comment from people who lack respect for teachers and who know little of how politics actually happens.
    We don’t have one Fuhrer teacher at the top making all the decisions

The real issue is that all of the restrictions and lockdowns should be voted on by every member of Dáil Éireann.

But, like everything else in Ireland, we don’t have a proper democracy.
    In Ireland the executive controls the legislature. Completely backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I find this Twitter page decent most days but he does spout doom and gloom. It’s 48 in hospitals and forgets to mention that there’s no discharging at the weekends!

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1411624297567764480?s=21

You'd get depressed looking at that page, nothing but doom and gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Not upset at all.
    It’s just a stupid comment from people who lack respect for teachers and who know little of how politics actually happens.

The real issue is that all of the restrictions and lockdowns should be voted on by every member of Dáil Éireann.

When I'm not upset about something I too go on long tirades and rants to show how totally not upset I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Mclysath or whatever her name is peddled out again by RTE to maintain maximum fear and compliance. After the year people have put in, they are a complete and utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not upset at all.

I dont lack respect for teachers who teach what they are qualified to teach
    What bothers me is our system of having politicians with no qualifications to lead a country . We get people like Norma Foley then having the arrogance to think she is somehow qualified to be a M of Ed because her daddy was a politician and she is a teacher .
    We have TDs with no qualifications in leadership or leading a country in a crisis .

Any idea what number of tests we are doing and what is the % of positive tests?

What bothers me is our system of having politicians with no qualifications to lead a country . We get people like Norma Foley then having the arrogance to think she is somehow qualified to be a M of Ed because her daddy was a politician and she is a teacher .
    We have TDs with no qualifications in leadership or leading a country in a crisis .

That's politics.
    The voters choose who they want as their TDs and the rest they have no control over.
    Look at the UK - a former journalist sacked twice for lying is PM (and that's just the start of it).

Politicians are mainly actors anyway - the representatives of the people sent out to explain to the masses the reason for someone else's decision (in our case NPHET)
    Sure they have power in that the permission for that final decision rests with them if they've made it to the cabinet. . . but don't expect any politician of any party to know the intricacies of a once in a century pandemic viral outbreak with vaccine rollout. You ain't gonna find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you get a qualification in leading a country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are following the science

Citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Allinall wrote: »

Start off by leading a council

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Allinall wrote: »
    One of those Soc&Pol degrees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Any idea what number of tests we are doing and what is the % of positive tests?

Only info we have is here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-test-and-trace-briefing-01-july-2021.pdf
    125k tests, 2.7% positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Wolf359f wrote: »
    You can sequence till the cows come home, but if you don't act on it, it's kinda useless.
    In the grand scheme of things, we're not too far behind on the sequencing of cases (10% vs 5%). I'm actually surprised how few cases are sequenced in other countries.

You know what happens in the UK when the targeted sequencing shows outbreaks. They turn up in dozens of vans and go house to house testing whole areas, every house, shop, factory everyone. It's like something out of the movies. Hundreds of them.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/surge-testing-for-new-coronavirus-covid-19-variants

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Just listened to Paul Reid on the radio, with the latest vaccine roll out (Romania source and younger groups etc.) we are looking at 68% of adults vaccinated by end of July and any adult that wants to be vaccinated can be done by end of August.

We need a dynamic plan, if this schedule is still in place on 19th July then everything should be allowed open with restrictions on capacity, occupancy and a selft declared "I am vaccinated" protocol for entering premises etc.

There is simply no justification for prolonging this now, unless the arrival of vaccines slips (unlikely) and if it does we roll the plan back a week or 2.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

zackory wrote: »
    Just listened to Paul Reid on the radio, with the latest vaccine roll out (Romania source and younger groups etc.) we are looking at 68% of adults vaccinated by end of July and any adult that wants to be vaccinated can be done by end of August.

We need a dynamic plan, if this schedule is still in place on 19th July then everything should be allowed open with restrictions on capacity, occupancy and a selft declared "I am vaccinated" protocol for entering premises etc.

There is simply no justification for prolonging this now, unless the arrival of vaccines slips (unlikely) and if it does we roll the plan back a week or 2.

Fully vaccinated or one dose?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fully. 68% currently have one dose

68% full vaccinated, and if everybody else is done end of August that would mean almost everybody will have one dose by end of July.

There is simply no basis for continuing with the current level of restrictions.

NPHET should be told to meet again tomorrow, and give recommendations based on the latest information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see on the Glastonbury Covid thread they are talking about someone called Christina Pagel, who is she? I googled and she is a mathematician professor and apparently has something to do with campaigning for an extension to the UK 19th July opening.

74A51E52-FB99-4864-8F81-9EC5035FE0B0.jpeg.bc8cf8151f54f78769e830e8db5fd099.jpeg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement