Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Unsurprisingly, the "pilot" concert only produced one positive from antigen testing, and even that proved to be negative after a PCR test!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232987-pilot-festival-testing/

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭gral6

Unsurprisingly, the "pilot" concert only produced one positive from antigen testing, and even that proved to be negative after a PCR test!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232987-pilot-festival-testing/

What was the point of that circus? Still did not get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

zackory wrote: »
    If independence day goes ahead in the UK on July 19th then we could be looking at some kind of voluntary scheme that makes it look like we are all playing along.

This is why I'm in favour of bringing in some kind of passport cert for the pubs, cause it will be instantly ignored....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

This is why I'm in favour of bringing in some kind of passport cert for the pubs, cause it will be instantly ignored....

I was in a place the other day and they asked for tracing name and number and I was like "weird", so 2020.

No other place I have been in yet has wasted their time with that particular rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gral6 wrote: »
    What was the point of that circus? Still did not get it....

Nothing. There was no point to it.

A bunch of people went and sat apart from each other, the single thing they achieved was to guarantee that a virus could not be transmitted amongst them all.

The real world implication of this is: absolutely nothing. Zero relevance to any real world situation, and the complete opposite of a test to see what happens when people mix with others.

Moronic and a sad reflection of our response to this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was in a place the other day and they asked for tracing name and number and I was like "weird", so 2020.

No other place I have been in yet has wasted their time with that particular rubbish.

I'm actually quite fond of the QR tracing app they have in the UK, the one where all you have to do is point your phone at it and pretend to scan it. Then in you go, because nobody actually cares whether you did it right or not.

My phone doesn't have the QR scanner, but I took a picture of the code anyway just to make the waitress feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The authorities would be doing everyone a favour if they stopped reporting cases, and just reported deaths/hospitalisations and let people judge the situation on its merit.

Cases precede hospitalisations. If hospitalisations were a high % of cases reacting when hospitalisations start rapidly rising would be three to six weeks too late. Not only that but hospitalisations have a long tail.

Vaccines have weakened the % of cases that lead to hospitalisations and possibly even the duration of the stays. Regardless, cases are still the most valuable early warning metric until the pandemic is over globally. It's just up to us to adapt to the change in the significance of the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Turtwig wrote: »
    Cases precede hospitalisations. If hospitalisations were a high % of cases reacting when hospitalisations start rapidly rising would be three to six weeks too late. Not only that but hospitalisations have a long tail.

Vaccines have weakened the % of cases that lead to hospitalisations. Regardless, cases are still the most valuable early warning metric until the pandemic is over globally. It's just up to us to adapt to the change in the significance of the numbers.
    NPHET are using 2%-3% in their models, the UK, our model, is at 1.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That is a non runner and should never have been suggested.

Hospitality won't be paying for enforcers to stand at every entrance to execute this.

Hotels are already letting people in off the street for food and pubs are having lockins indoors, there is no enforcement of this.

Yup, pubs aren't even hiding it at this stage. Walked past a place yesterday and giant TV inside that you can see through the window showing the England game

titan18 wrote: »
    Yup, pubs aren't even hiding it at this stage. Walked past a place yesterday and giant TV inside that you can see through the window showing the England game

I doubt that NPHET will share their generous wages with struggling hospitality workers. We are all in this together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What county are you in? I've not seen this at all

Stheno wrote: »

Go to countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see RTÉ really have the finger on the pulse of the mood of the nation. Advertising a show next Monday night on how Covid affected Ireland's wealthiest rich list people. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

In my view:

- delay in indoor hospitality by a few weeks was probably on balance the correct decision.
    - the next 2/3 weeks will see the vast majority of 40 plus fully vaccinated.
    - the new arrangements for those less than 35 on vaccinations will also have an effect.
    - we are on the home straight.

Despite all this, NPHET overplayed their card on the modelling. Same as they did on masks and have done on antigen tests.

We have been waiting for the 'next two weeks' for 18 months now.
    The goalposts will just be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Just back from a lovely dinner with family and friends at the Grandstand restaurant in the Clayton Ballsbridge. We just walked in and got a table for 9 of us no bother at all. Feel sorry for small restaurants and pubs who are losing out on business because of these laggard Irish rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I’ve no doubt this has been answered but things changing so quickly so I am unsure and all the looking up I do is so grey, we’ve had a sudden family bereavement in london, my dads brother and my dad passed away some years ago. The death was non Covid related and I am the only nephew in Ireland so feel I should travel for a few days to pay condolences. I have had my first dose of vaccine. Could anyone please advise what I need to do to enter and exit london, it is only going to be for 3 or 4 days when they have verified the funeral. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I see RTÉ really have the finger on the pulse of the mood of the nation. Advertising a show next Monday night on how Covid affected Ireland's wealthiest rich list people. :pac:

made them richer I expect (as ever its rte so wont be watching )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

That’s almost certain given previous form.

Once adults are done we’ll be told we need to wait until children are vaccinated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/no-way-to-end-cycle-of-transmission-without-vaccinating-children-1.4611352

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

That’s almost certain given previous form.

Once adults are done we’ll be told we need to wait until children are vaccinated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/no-way-to-end-cycle-of-transmission-without-vaccinating-children-1.4611352

And then we have too wait tor the animals

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oakland-zoo-animals-vaccine-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aziz wrote: »

booster shot first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

is_that_so wrote: »
    NPHET are using 2%-3% in their models, the UK, our model, is at 1.6%

Last 4 weeks here 10062 cases, of which 198 hospital admissions: 1.96% admissions (going with a 1 week lag between positive case and admission, it's pretty much the same as cases haven't increased substantially)
    Maybe NPHET believe vaccinations case a higher hospitalization figure?
    I'm all for being cautious, but jesus it's has a big impact, at least use realistic figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Stheno wrote: »

I was in Kerry when that happened but I'm from Cork. I've seen 4/5 places between the village I was in in Kerry and some places in Cork allowing people indoors. One was a hotel but just allow people in anyway if not resident there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We have but this is to wait for data from the UK. The government are starting to diverge a little bit from NPHET. In the meantime keep an eye on UK numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I’ve no doubt this has been answered but things changing so quickly so I am unsure and all the looking up I do is so grey, we’ve had a sudden family bereavement in london, my dads brother and my dad passed away some years ago. The death was non Covid related and I am the only nephew in Ireland so feel I should travel for a few days to pay condolences. I have had my first dose of vaccine. Could anyone please advise what I need to do to enter and exit london, it is only going to be for 3 or 4 days when they have verified the funeral. Many thanks.

Maybe check the disclaimers or t&c's of the airports and ports, you may need to take a PCR or Anti-Gen test two days prior to your flight or voyage.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

namloc1980 wrote: »

Straight from the ghettos of Dalkey and Monkstown, it's been a hard year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Last 4 weeks here 10062 cases, of which 198 hospital admissions: 1.96% admissions (going with a 1 week lag between positive case and admission, it's pretty much the same as cases haven't increased substantially)
    Maybe NPHET believe vaccinations case a higher hospitalization figure?
    I'm all for being cautious, but jesus it's has a big impact, at least use realistic figures.

Are all the 196 in hospital being treated from having covid, or what % of those 196 are in hospital for something else and just happen to have a positive covid test at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

jackboy wrote: »
    Outdoor dining doesn’t work in Ireland as a solo option. Only useful as something alongside indoor dining.

My local just didn't bother opening today, what's the point for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Are all the 196 in hospital being treated from having covid, or what % of those 196 are in hospital for something else and just happen to have a positive covid test at the time?

The data on the hub used to display covid admissions but was changed to positive cases in hospital, so the figures they quote are just positive cases in hospital. Not strictly admitted because of covid.

I'd guess most cases detected in hospital (non admission) would have been down to hospital outbreaks, but they have all but been eliminated. That's not to say someone testing positive for covid after being admitted doesn't cause an extra burden on the health system.

But it's not like covid is rampant in the community, so I can't imagine there's that many out there being admitted for various illnesses and testing positive on admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Saw something similar myself today, but an "outdoor" portakabin thing beside a pub that was clearly an indoor location - packed with people.

No enforcement as ever in this country, so those businesses who follow the rules lose out - they can't open because the government are worried about the hundreds of cases we have currently, and meanwhile the cowboys carry on regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

You don’t need anything going over. Coming back you need a negative pcr, which has to be taken with 72 hours of your arrival in ireland. Factoring in the time for the results to arrive (you can pay extra for 24 hr), you need to get the test done 2-3 days before you return.

Advertisement