Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

We didn’t have a mask mandate until August 2020 and we were grand before the mandate. Nothing out of the ordinary will happen when masks are gone.

Except your now dealing with a more transmissable variant of covid id be very surprised if nothing happens when thats lifted but well see

Shin

For everyone and the record and the people who thanked my OP in particular.

While the hospitalisation rate appears low and the death rate very low and undoubtedly there is a dark figure that makes those numbers even lower...

My attempt at amateur statistics went fairly arseways, I definitely read that table wrong and my 0.0024% is definitely wrong, possibly by quite a bit. Quite embarrassing really, but fair is fair. I'd like to see myself as someone who thinks in facts and I certainly dont want to make up any 'facts' and when I get things (very) wrong I have to hold up my hand and say so.

Thanks to those who set me right.

Your method got very close to the actual rate, just the initial assumption was way off which can happen anyone. The uk figures point to a worst case, per nphet case model, delta wave death rate here of under 900

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah I deleted that post, the ‘good rant’ bit made me think you were the other poster.

I deleted it in about 20 seconds so clearly you were waiting for a reply though, odd.

Nope just seen the post that’s all.
    Anyway that’s me done.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0705/1233041-covid-19/

A letter will soon be issued to all fully vaccinated people so they can avail of the EU Digital Covid Certificate.

Digital……..Letter……..Jaysus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

We are promised an EU-based Covid Certificate (digital and paper forms) by July 19th. Surely this will serve the needs of most indoor diners. The stuff about everyone getting emails only makes sense if the EU Certificate turns out to be yet another HSE failure to deliver (probably aided and abetted by NPHET)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0705/1233041-covid-19/

A letter will soon be issued to all fully vaccinated people so they can avail of the EU Digital Covid Certificate.

Digital……..Letter……..Jaysus!!
    They could easily have sent the link through the SMS system they used for the vaccine appointments, I suppose it's other people's money they are dealing with.

They could easily have sent the link through the SMS system they used for the vaccine appointments, I suppose it's other people's money they are dealing with.

Yep, or could they not have used the HSE Covid Tracker app? Can’t imagine it would take much to update that to accommodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yep, or could they not have used the HSE Covid Tracker app? Can’t imagine it would take much to update that to accommodate.

Not much good when phones won't load the tracker app.

Personally I'd prefer a letter, as mobile phones in this area are very unreliable.

I only got the appointment SMS when away from home, due to poor network coverage.

M

I suppose once we have the travel App on 19th July I don't care how it's done once it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How so? It’s getting really tiring being held to last years lockdown rules when the majority are now vaccinated.

The vaccine does not stop you catching Covid, it stops a severe response to the virus, we should be governed by ICU and fatalities now of which there are extremely few! Here and in the U.K.!

Meaning that the vast majority of cases are in people with enough immunity to fight it off easily.

AKA - herd immunity.

Experts reckon between 80% and 90% of the population need to have immunity, either through vaccination or prior infection, for herd immunity.
    https://www.muhealth.org/our-stories/covid-19-vaccine-key-reaching-herd-immunity
    It has nothing to do with what cohort the majority of the cases are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

I was just reading about sky reporter Enda Brady. Marathon runner, healthy etc, had one jab of AZ and tested positive. Anyway his symptoms are quite severe and struggling to breathe. (I know it’s a few days old but I’ve been avoiding Covid news) I’m assuming most recent cases are not as serious or has there been any info relating to those who are testing positive in Ireland or the UK?

Experts reckon between 80% and 90% of the population need to have immunity, either through vaccination or prior infection, for herd immunity.
    https://www.muhealth.org/our-stories/covid-19-vaccine-key-reaching-herd-immunity
    It has nothing to do with what cohort the majority of the cases are in.

Yes as has been said, there are plenty of random links to different percentages. You’re one is to a hospital in Missouri.

The fact is, ICU remains very low and fatalities seem to be a thing of the past, therefore the vaccine has given the majority enough immunity to fight the virus.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not much good when phones won't load the tracker app.

Personally I'd prefer a letter, as mobile phones in this area are very unreliable.

I only got the appointment SMS when away from home, due to poor network coverage.

?? Won’t load the tracker app? You mean won’t open? It’s fine on my phone, and the vaccine cert will be on offline entry so could also go into an Apple Or Android pay wallet also. Once downloaded it’s there to be scanned.

Before all this I’d fly to the U.K. every 2 weeks for work, RyanAir tickets on my phone, never an issue.

Anyone that wants a letter can have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

I can just photocopy my mates papers ? Better than a digital version for those of us who won't be vaccinated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

I assume "a letter" means info on how to avail of the digital certificate - not an actual letter saying "To whom it may concern, This is to certify Polar101 is vaccinated, Best Regards Stephen Donnelly". A letter would be completely pointless and would only prove a person knows someone who knows how to photocopy stuff.

But then, you never know..

Polar101 wrote: »
    I assume "a letter" means info on how to avail of the digital certificate - not an actual letter saying "To whom it may concern, This is to certify Polar101 is vaccinated, Best Regards Stephen Donnelly". A letter would be completely pointless and would only prove a person knows someone who knows how to photocopy stuff.

But then, you never know..

Sorry to say that if you read the article, I hadn’t read it all myself, it’s a letter. A piece of special magic paper presumably to stop any loss or damage.

The article goes on to say:

‘Last week, NPHET said that indoor dining could only proceed when there is a "robust, non-reproducible and enforceable" vaccine pass system.’

‘Mr Martin warned it would be "a huge challenge in terms of meeting that criteria" from NPHET.’

A huge challenge that every other EU country has managed to implement as of 4 days ago!! Just embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Going to a restaurant will be like going through an airport lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I presume the card I got at the GP for full vaccination should be suffice too hopefully,

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I presume the card I got at the GP for full vaccination should be suffice too hopefully,

Highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I can just photocopy my mates papers ? Better than a digital version for those of us who won't be vaccinated :)

I would imagine like there will be something built into it like a hologram or similar.

I doubt you photocopy your mates car tax disc and stick it to the windscreen.

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely.

How do you mean, this is Ireland we're talking about, not another country, card was issued by an Irish GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Regarding what Winter 2021 will look like ...

Telegraph reporting on newly released papers from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) in the UK:
    - Criticised the UK for not keeping "baseline" restrictions such as face masks and working from home.
    - Sage say "it is highly likely that transmission will increase in autumn and winter".
    - Sage say stricter restrictions could be needed this autumn and winter, despite promises of an "irreversible" route out of lockdown.
    - The healthcare burden of other infections* is also an important consideration.

i.e work-from-home and face masks etc are likely to be reintroduced in the UK in the Autumn/Winter.

*The WSJ are reporting that there has surge in other respiratory viruses in the US as life gets back to normal and peoples immunity is low. Perhaps an early sign of a surge in respiratory cases this Autumn/Winter on top of some covid cases.

Difficult to see how Winter will not have some light restrictions like masks and work-from-home.

How do you mean, this is Ireland we're talking about, not another country, card was issued by an Irish GP.

And it's neither robust nor non-reproducible for a start.

M

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Going to a restaurant will be like going through an airport lol

Check in and check out of each place you visit, big trail left of where you were of an evening, the KGB would dream of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

When I was much younger we had these yellow laminated cards from the local Garda stations with our details, a photo, and a very convincing rubber stamp on the back. These granted access to the disco from the moment you got your first fake.

I can only hope its a similar omnishambles this time around with bits of paper and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

How am I making up definitions? Or are you one of those that seem to think if you’re vaccinated then you can’t get a Covid anymore!

Maybe research what immunity means, it doesn’t say it means the majority will not get a particular disease, it states it is when a majority have an immunity to a disease. Being immune to something doesn’t mean you can’t catch something, it means your immune system has the requisite antibodies to fight off a disease.

Also, don’t bother replying, you don’t bring anything to the topic, you just attack and throw stupid accusations.

Nice rant

Nice rant

More valid input I see!

When presented with facts you seem to just ignore them. The sign of a great intellect that is!

I take it you’ve run out of Google to dispute what I said and all you had was quoting myself back to me.

You must be great craic in…….well anywhere!

And it's neither robust nor non-reproducible for a start.

Tell me then, what was the point of been issued a vaccine card by the GP, what do you use that for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Tell me then, what was the point of been issued a vaccine card by the GP, what do you use that for then?

It was an appointment reminder same you would get at the dentist etc. and also a handy reminder for your own records of the dates and batch number should it be required.

• Advertisement

Turned on the Irish news for 5 mins and some expert is on. The general gist was:

The UK are mad for throwing caution to the wind.
    AstraZeneca is not as good against Delta.
    Antigen tests not accurate.
    We all hope to one day have some kind of normality again.

Negative rubbish

Advertisement