Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes it does. Before covid, you could be inches away from someone else's face on a crowded bus. We cannot go back to that again.

We done just fine without masks for thousands of years didn’t we?

By all means wear a mask until the day you die but don’t push them on others even after this pandemic has ended

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

User1998 wrote: »

By all means wear a mask until the day you die but don’t push them on others even after this pandemic has ended

I think sticking a mask in your bag for when the bus/Luas is crowded during winter isn't a bad idea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Cork2021 wrote: »
    In my reality now people I work with including me will be fully vaccinated in the next 6’weeks or so. Masks shouldn’t be relevant then… that’s my opinion, I think it’ll need to be part of a vaccine bonus

Fully vaccinated - just like the 30% who died from the delta variant :

UK : "Unfortunately 42 deaths from the delta variant, of which 30% (12) are among fully vaccinated & 17% among partly vaccinated (21 days after 1 dose)"

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Remind me of your role besides making offensive comments behind an anonymous profile online that serve to display your deeply felt prejudice against those in the health service... And anyone else that disagrees with you?

I'm sorry you felt offence. I have always been someone who viewed the non celebrated health staff as being undervalued and certainly deserving of more from the public purse. I've witnessed great care and frankly superhero levels of care from from the least celebrated.

I'm addressing my post to YOU. Who came anonymously to a forum, as I did. You allude to being a professional, but what? Surely if you are a nurse you aren't giving doctor and above level advice? Maybe you revealed some skillset that I missed?

I find it horrible that you suggest care is provided based on who wears a mark, this was tried a few times....

I can just photocopy my mates papers ? Better than a digital version for those of us who won't be vaccinated :)

Hmm, if only there was some method of checking did the name on the letter match the individual. Some sort of identification, maybe call it ID for short. It’s not like pubs haven’t been verifying the same for years.

The other issue is those who were fully vaccinated outside the state. How do they gain access to services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Hmm, if only there was some method of checking did the name on the letter match the individual. Some sort of identification, maybe call it ID for short. It’s not like pubs haven’t been verifying the same for years.

The other issue is those who were fully vaccinated outside the state. How do they gain access to services?

They don't bother. This isnt Stalins USSR.

Get out of here with your papers and your 'requirements'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

User1998 wrote: »

Spanish flu was only 100 years ago and they needed masks back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Realistically, do you think pubs would ask for a vaccination letter, ID, and then check and refuse entry if the name on the ID doesn't match with the name on the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭VG31

They did but mask wearing didn't remain after the pandemic ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

VG31 wrote: »
    They did but mask wearing didn't remain after the pandemic ended.

This pandemic will end too, but let's just see how the next few weeks pan out as the UK volunteers itself to test the waters.

We're still not quite at the same level of vaccines, but the gap is closing fast.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    Realistically, do you think pubs would ask for a vaccination letter, ID, and then check and refuse entry if the name on the ID doesn't match with the name on the letter?

Some will, some won’t, they will agree to it if it means opening however

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    They don't bother. This isnt Stalins USSR.

Get out of here with your papers and your 'requirements'.

My papers? my requirements? Calm down would you, I was only explaining how the combination of a letter and I’d could easily be used to identify if a vaccine letter was actually theirs. It’s not like requiring id to access a particular product or service is anything new.

“Bloody USSR requiring ID to buy a pint or open a bank account”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

kieran26 wrote: »
    Free Antigen / PCR tests for staff until they are fully vaccinated. if its good to gain entry as a customer it should be OK for staff too.

But isn't there concern that vaccines don't stop people spreading the virus? Testing the staff doesn't protect them..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jimi H wrote: »
    I was just reading about sky reporter Enda Brady. Marathon runner, healthy etc, had one jab of AZ and tested positive. Anyway his symptoms are quite severe and struggling to breathe. (I know it’s a few days old but I’ve been avoiding Covid news) I’m assuming most recent cases are not as serious or has there been any info relating to those who are testing positive in Ireland or the UK?

This thread is .. not great

https://twitter.com/EddieRobson/status/1411594953705332736?s=19

Lumen wrote: »

Oh my god, the poor chap struggled to finish a beer while watching the football. How will he ever go on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Questions that are pondering in my mind tonight …. If the UK population have survived massive hospitalisation and deaths by week 5 following their “freedom” day will all supporters of NPHET finally agree that their modelling and doom forecasting was and IS false ?

Will the Irish government at that stage thank NPHET for their assistance over the last 18 months and disband/decommission them (as their continued service is no longer relevant as the emergency is no longer in existence) . ?

It could be the perfect opportunity to form a new temporary group of medics /economists/ social cohesion etc experts with equal stakes to propel us back to real normality and see the back of this horrible period.

Conversely, I’d be willing to accept I’m wrong if in 5 weeks the UK has huge deaths and hospitalisation havoc to contend with. I’d gladly offer my congratulations to NPHET for correctly spotting the dangers of the delta variant and saving many lives by advising a cautious reopening.

Let’s mark this …….. 19th of July 9am
    5 weeks from now.
    Return ……. 23rd of August 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes it does. Before covid, you could be inches away from someone else's face on a crowded bus. We cannot go back to that again.

Lol, I hate to break it to you but much of the world has already gone back. Was at a crowded gig last week, no social distancing at all, few masks, queueing up at the bar without stickers telling you where to stand etc, just like the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

ShooterSF wrote: »
    But isn't there concern that vaccines don't stop people spreading the virus? Testing the staff doesn't protect them..

So don't open anything ever again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

dalyboy wrote: »

It could be the perfect opportunity to form a new temporary group of medics /economists/ social cohesion etc experts with equal stakes to propel us back to real normality and see the back of this horrible period.

Would be chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm by no means comparing this to flu but if you get a flu aren't you 'flattened' for a few days to a week? I probably wouldn't be even able to lift a beer let alone sit and watch the ball as this chap was doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

He found it difficult to drink alcohol when he was feeling unwell? I mean... I can't even...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShooterSF wrote: »
    You seem intent on just poking holes in what other people suggest. Do you actually have any proposals of your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

petes wrote: »
    I'm by no means comparing this to flu but if you get a flu aren't you 'flattened' for a few days to a week? I probably wouldn't be even able to lift a beer let alone sit and watch the ball as this chap was doing!

there is an expression that you know the difference between the flu and a cold if you spot a 50 euro note outside your window, if you get up to get it you have a cold, if you cant be arsed you have the flu

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks like the vaccine has done it's job so and he feels a bit crap. I think he'll be fine if the worst of it he can't have a beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Oh my god, the poor chap struggled to finish a beer while watching the football. How will he ever go on

It should really be added to the list of symptoms by the who

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

gctest50 wrote: »
    Fully vaccinated - just like the 30% who died from the delta variant :

UK : "Unfortunately 42 deaths from the delta variant, of which 30% (12) are among fully vaccinated & 17% among partly vaccinated (21 days after 1 dose)"

42 deaths in a country of 70 million where essentially all of the most medically vulnerable people are fully vaccinated. We are going to see deaths among the fully vaccinated, especially among the older immune comprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

petes wrote: »

It seems people aren't allowed to get ill anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I think people crammed on the Luas happened after that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

batman_oh wrote: »
    I think people crammed on the Luas happened after that no?

dublin trams started in 1871

first bus route 1925

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

UK scientific advisor Professor Neil Ferguson on yesterday's announcement.
    IMHO it sounds to me like the UK will be perfect breeding ground more new variants, and the UK risks throwing away all the World's sacrifices to date...
    Professor Neil Ferguson said: "At the peak of the second wave 50,000 cases would translate into something like 500 deaths, but that's going to be much lower this time, more like 50 or so.

"The challenge is, there's still the potential of getting very large numbers of cases and so if we get very high numbers of cases a day, 150,000 or 200,000 it could still cause some pressure to the health system.

"This is a slight gamble, it's a slight experiment at the moment, and I think it's justifiable and I'm reasonable optimistic, but policy will have to remain flexible.

"If we end up in something close to the worst-case scenario we and other groups are looking at, which I think is unlikely but can't be ruled out, then yes there will need to be some course direction later."

WHO's Dr Mike Ryan, in the same article:
    Dr Mike Ryan said not enough people have been vaccinated for any country to lift restrictions too early.

During a Q&A on Facebook with epidemiologist Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, Dr Ryan said that overall he thinks some countries have made "a very premature rush back to full normality".

"I think were are going to pay a price for that, because we are not there at vaccination, the variants are really there and we have not protected enough people," he added.

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0706/1233322-coronavirus-world/

Advertisement