Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Looks like the vaccine has done it's job so and he feels a bit crap. I think he'll be fine if the worst of it he can't have a beer...

Isn't this what Holohan has wanted all along? The virus is now preventing people from drinking!!! Expect a letter dropping all restrictions before the end of the day and NPHET to hold foam parties in all major urban centres this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Skygord wrote: »
    UK scientific advisor Professor Neil Ferguson on yesterday's announcement.
    IMHO it sounds to me like the UK will be perfect breeding ground more new variants, and the UK risks throwing away all the World's sacrifices to date...

WHO's Dr Mike Ryan, in the same article:

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0706/1233322-coronavirus-world/

There are over 1 billion people in Africa with next to no vaccinations and no restrictions. There are over 1 billion people in India with limited vaccinations and next to no restrictions. Why are the WHO so worried about 70 million, mostly vaccinated in the UK easing restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

snotboogie wrote: »
    There are over 1 billion people in Africa with next to no vaccinations and no restrictions. There are over 1 billion people in India with limited vaccinations and next to no restrictions. Why are the WHO so worried about 70 million, mostly vaccinated in the UK easing restrictions?

Why don't you watch his press briefings if you want to know what he's saying. He and the WHO talk about the impact in Africa all the time! Or you could even read the article I linked to:
    Dr Ryan said with cases in the European region running at 500,000 a week and one million a week in all the counties of the Americas, the pandemic is not over.

He said that for a lot of the world "unfortunately, this thing is only getting started".

He urged patience and said there is the potential to end up in "huge trouble" with the Delta variant, which is much more transmissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Henry... wrote: »
    Would be chaos

It’s the only way humble imo.

If NPHET are proven to be not fit for purpose (ie Nolan’s modelling is proven to be a fantasy and the rest of NPHET endorsed it) there’ll have to be a new organisation formed to replace them.

The fact that at that stage (26th Aug) NPHET will have all but decimated entire industries on faulty modelling is one for the inevitable future tribunals.

Each component would have to have equal input and this time it’s to stay behind the scenes and only advise policy based on the informed opinion.

Lumen wrote: »

This guy was not fully vaccinated & had one shot of AZ.
    His reaction to infection from covid (not full jabbed) is exactly what is predicted.

Non story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Great to see the UK approach tbh. They are no longer scared and realise they have to live with covid in order to save their economy. Here we still are pumping our scare stories on the state broadcaster who's employees wouldn't know the first thing about hard times and running a business and are well paid to tow the government line.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dalyboy wrote: »
    This guy was not fully vaccinated & had one shot of AZ.
    His reaction to infection from covid (not full jabbed) is exactly what is predicted.

Non story

It was more the responses from people saying that they'd been double dosed and suffered badly (hence why I referred to the thread rather than the tweet), but where did you see that he was not fully vaccinated? I can't see any reference to that.

Lumen wrote: »
    It was more the responses from people saying that they'd been double dosed and suffered badly (hence why I referred to the thread rather than the tweet), but where did you see that he was not fully vaccinated? I can't see any reference to that.

My bad.
    I thought this was an update report on the camera man who had the single shot of AZ from last week.
    Your on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

User1998 wrote: »
    We done just fine without masks for thousands of years didn’t we?
    People said that to Edward Jenner too,
    I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

kieran26 wrote: »
    So don't open anything ever again?

Not at all. Just don't chuck ALL precautions because the customers are safe from the vaccine while the staff aren't. I think this could be a suggestion for the end of August if the hints are true that all adults will be fully vaccinated by then.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    You seem intent on just poking holes in what other people suggest. Do you actually have any proposals of your own?

Well I'm not a health expert but I would look to separate different indoor risks for a start. I don't think group gym, a meal, a sesh, a poker night, a game of snooker carry equal risks. At the moment everything is tied to the pub so it adds pressure.
    As for indoor dining and drinking I'd prefer to have them open with distancing etc. myself right now but I accept that nphet are more knowledgeable than I am on disease control. If they can't I'm generally opposed to opening for just vaccinated people because, in my opinion, it will be a heartache for staff. I might be wrong but here I think I have more experience than nphet. I definitely disagree with the owners of pubs who think that rule should allow us to go back to a free for all indoors while staff are still not fully vaccinated.
    I think I'm pretty consistent in my views here and they all stem from a staff first pov considering my career history and sure it probably adds a heck of a bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Great to see the UK approach tbh. They are no longer scared and realise they have to live with covid in order to save their economy. Here we still are pumping our scare stories on the state broadcaster who's employees wouldn't know the first thing about hard times and running a business and are well paid to tow the government line.

What’s more scary is they reckon 7 million people have not come forward for cancer/heart problems since this all began.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Correct me if i'm wrong but has a virus ever in history mutated into something more deadly ?
    Don't new variants of any virus always become more spreadable but less potent ?

Correct me if i'm wrong but has a virus ever in history mutated into something more deadly ?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/genetic-mutation-made-zika-virus-more-dangerous-study-says-1506621602

You can find other examples using Google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=more+dangerous+mutant+virus+before%3A2020-01-01

100%
    This is simply ignored by our so called experts though.
    Also ignored by our media.

I wonder why ????

No - evolutionary pressures will on average"tend" to less deadly through selective pressure, however mutations are random and do not have an innate direction

dalyboy wrote: »
    100%
    This is simply ignored by our so called experts though.
    Also ignored by our media.

I wonder why ????

So-called experts generally don't make statements with 100% certainty. This is an example of the oft-cited Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I hope England win the euro and their opening for all our sakes and sanity

cheezums wrote: »
    So one possible example. Out of what, thousands?
    You're a fast reader. How many pages of those Google results did you go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Skygord wrote: »
    Why don't you watch his press briefings if you want to know what he's saying. He and the WHO talk about the impact in Africa all the time! Or you could even read the article I linked to:

That doesn't answer the question though does it? The UK has a very low chance of birthing a new variant with its level of vaccination and tiny population in comparison to Africa and India where there are little to no restrictions, massive populations and limited vaccination.

Worrying about easing restrictions among 70 million mostly vaccinated British seems like a bit of a waste of time when there are billions of unvaccinated Africans and Indians operating under less restrictions

• Advertisement

That doesn't answer the question though does it? The UK has a very low chance of birthing a new variant with its level of vaccination and tiny population in comparison to Africa and India where there are little to no restrictions, massive populations and limited vaccination.

Worrying about easing restrictions among 70 million mostly vaccinated British seems like a bit of a waste of time when there are billions of unvaccinated Africans and Indians operating under less restrictions

I don't think you're right about this.

https://twitter.com/scottishwormboy/status/1411952287132618752

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Marty Bird wrote: »
    What’s more scary is they reckon 7 million people have not come forward for cancer/heart problems since this all began.

Tsunami of problems coming down the pipeline in that regard and yet some people are getting all worked up about a few hundred case numbers of what is basically now no worse than a common cold to the age group catching it.

You'd have to wonder whether a sort of collective Stockholm Syndrome is now occurring in large parts of the world and particularly Ireland.

Have we become too used to this restricted way of life? Are we too afraid at this point to take the masks off?

This was mild for the vast vast majority before vaccines. Even milder with vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭VG31

Germany should lift all remaining Covid restriction by end of August – minister
    Germany should lift all remaining coronavirus-linked social and economic curbs as soon as everyone has been offered a vaccine, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas was quoted as saying on Tuesday, suggesting that point should be reached next month.

Around 56.5% of people in Germany have received at least one dose and almost 39% are fully vaccinated, according to health ministry data.

“When everyone in Germany has received a vaccine offer, there is no longer a legal or political justification for any kind of restriction,” Maas told the Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

That should occur sometime during August, he added.

It would be good to start hearing this from Irish politicians. We're on course to have one of the highest vaccine uptakes in the EU yet there's still been no discussion of a timeframe for the return to normality. Having a clear end in sight would likely increase vaccine uptake even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mecrab wrote: »
    Having a clear end in sight would likely increase vaccine uptake even further.

This is one of the most disappointing aspects about the governments response. Communications recently have been almost a case study in how to put people off vaccines, rather than encourage people to get them.

They created a situation where it became almost reasonable for young people to think "why bother getting a vaccine", because they no longer have hope or trust that anything will improve once they get it.

All they needed to do was offer achievable targets such as "we reopen when X% are vaccinated" and you would have had a lot of people getting stuck in to get there as quick as possible.

Psychology 101, but then of course we have failed at the basics from the very beginning of all of this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is one of the most disappointing aspects about the governments response. Communications recently have been almost a case study in how to put people off vaccines, rather than encourage people to get them.

They created a situation where it became almost reasonable for young people to think "why bother getting a vaccine", because they no longer have hope or trust that anything will improve once they get it.

All they needed to do was offer achievable targets such as "we reopen when X% are vaccinated" and you would have had a lot of people getting stuck in to get there as quick as possible.

Psychology 101, but then of course we have failed at the basics from the very beginning of all of this.

We are administering every dose we get and there is already huge demand from young people to get it. The communications don't seem to be putting any body off the vaccine here.

But we have an incredibly high level of vaccine uptake, no? Especially in the young

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭poppers

if anything its encouraging people to be vaccinated. The pharmacy scheme is already booked out and has long waiting lists . Look at the vaccice thread here its all about when can i register get my shot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We are administering every dose we get and there is already huge demand from young people to get it. The communications don't seem to be putting any body off the vaccine here.
    But we have an incredibly high level of vaccine uptake, no? Especially in the young

I don't know how we could have incredibly high vaccine uptake among the young when they aren't eligible for it yet?

Regardless, I certainly hope that they do all take it as soon as humanly possible.

My point would still stand though, the government communication has been horrendous and I certainly hope we don't hear anything about delays relating to vaccine hesitancy among the last 20/30% on the back of it. It is only then that we would see the effects of this, not now when supply still doesn't meet demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The mix of unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, fully vaccinated and fully vaccinated with inadequate immune response means there is a selective pressure for a variant to emerge with vaccine evasion properties. One that can only infect the unvaccinated is at disadvantage. Any that has any sort of property that helps it infect the vaccinated will be advantageous.

It's an interesting question. There's no pressure in an unvaccinated population for an evasive variant to emerge. Sheer number of infections means it could. In the vaccinated population with a sizeable amount still unvaccinated there's greater pressure but far less numbers.

It's not an experiment a vaccinated society should be running. Especially in the UK where they have very good uptake. The unvaccinated will likely take a vaccine when it's offered to them. They're effectively gambling that it won't happen in the timeframe it takes to get everyone fully vaccinated. It's a gamble that potentially has global repurcussions if it backfires.

Advertisement