Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Does the antigen test that Lidl are selling make it clear that it should only be used by people who have symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Does the antigen test that Lidl are selling make it clear that it should only be used by people who have symptoms?

I highly doubt it, why would anyone with symptoms pay for a test when they can get tested free?
    And I'd hate to think of symptomatic people travelling to lidl to buy tests.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I highly doubt it, why would anyone with symptoms pay for a test when they can get tested free?

And this neatly sums up the redundancy of it all. I would be critical of the way Nolan worded his tweet, he should of explained what his issue with the promotion, but the sentiment behind the tweet, which was a reply to a Lidl promotion of the product was accurate.

To be honest, I zoned out of Philip Nolan’s bizarre ramblings a long time ago. It’s Like he uses his Twitter account to settle old scores, he’s done it a few times now - the restaurant cases, beef with Jack lambert, now this. A strange individual.

All this from the man who thinks the average school child only has “3-5” close contacts a day. He gets this from “thinking back to your own school days. From an education point of view, I can tell him he’s absolutely spoofing on this. Which makes me doubt the rest of his ramblings, including his modelling. Not sure why he has such a profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ok, that's a fair point, if they are only designed for when you definitively have symptoms, they may not be as "effective" if you are asymptomatic. But as others have said, why pay if you can get it free when you have symptoms. Though I guess you can get it free by saying you have symptoms anyway.

But are all antigen tests not like that? Or are some designed more for asymtomatic?

I wouldn't bother with one of these myself unless I had symptoms, but don't really see the big risk if someone uses it and if negative, takes normal precautions, but if positive, stays home.

• Advertisement

And this neatly sums up the redundancy of it all. I would be critical of the way Nolan worded his tweet, he should of explained what his issue with it was, but the sentiment behind the tweet, which was a reply to a Lidl promotion of the product was accurate.

The lidl tweet had all the hallmarks of a PaddyPower tweet. Nolan's tweet was just as bad. I can understand the reluctance for NPHET to recommend them for public use, but Nolan came across all wrong.

To be honest, I zoned out of Philip Nolan’s bizarre ramblings a long time ago. It’s Like he uses his Twitter account to settle old scores, he’s done it a few times now - the restaurant cases, beef with Jack lambert, now this. A strange individual.

All this from the man who thinks the average school child only has “3-5” close contacts a day. He gets this from “thinking back to your own school days. From an education point of view, I can tell him he’s absolutely spoofing on this. Which makes me doubt the rest of his ramblings, including his modelling. Not sure why he has such a profile.

Because of the 30 in class, I certainly didn't play ball with all 30, hang around in the yard with all 30, go to the 30 classmates houses after school etc....

No need to get personal

Wolf359f wrote: »
    You must have been that popular kid in class?
    Because of the 30 in class, I certainly didn't play ball with all 30, hang around in the yard with all 30, go to the 30 classmates houses after school etc....

I can say from the point of view as a teacher. Through group work, pair work, learning support groups, PE, yard, cramped class rooms, I can safely say I couldn’t find a child in my school that would only have 3 close contacts a day.

Nothing about popularity. Odd charge.

Ok, that's a fair point, if they are only designed for when you definitively have symptoms, they may not be as "effective" if you are asymptomatic. But as others have said, why pay if you can get it free when you have symptoms. Though I guess you can get it free by saying you have symptoms anyway.

But are all antigen tests not like that? Or are some designed more for asymtomatic?

I wouldn't bother with one of these myself unless I had symptoms, but don't really see the big risk if someone uses it and if negative, takes normal precautions, but if positive, stays home.

Most antigen tests are only recommended for use on those exhibiting symptoms (I think within first five days).

There is one product made by Ellume (Ficheall referenced them earlier today) that has good accuracy picking up asymptomatic positive cases that has FDA EUA but they haven't applied for EU authorization yet.

I can say from the point of view as a teacher. Through group work, pair work, learning support groups, PE, yard, cramped class rooms, I can safely say I couldn’t find a child in my school that would only have 3 close contacts a day.

Nothing about popularity. Odd charge.

No disrespect, but you refute the studies that were doing even pre-covid?
    You can hate Nolan all you like, but he doesn't actually conduct these studies. He probably has zero input into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's a bit confusing.

The tests themselves quote over 90% accuracy.

Holohan said the accuracy of these tests is "about 50 per cent in the hands of trained professionals".

Professor Mark Ferguson, director general of Science Foundation Ireland, and chief scientific advisor to the Government, said "taking the sample is very easy to do."

Who is wrong on the accuracy - does Holohan know something that isn't clear to me?
    And even if Holohan is correct on accuracy (and the manufacturers are not being truthful, or being economic with the truth), why does Holohan suggest it should be done by trained professionals, whereas Ferguson (and plenty others in the medical field) say it's simple?

But the actual Lidl test it has been confirmed is "one of 16 antigen tests approved in February for use in the European Union. It is in widespread use in France, Germany, Belgium and Bulgaria".

Now, just because our own HSE haven't given it their stamp of approval wouldn't be high up the list of most people's concerns, if other EU countries have approved it?

I already posted this.

d41586-021-00332-4_18844374.png

It's not the tests themselves so much. Rather who and where they are done.

Research indicates that Antigen tests done at home have a lower accuracy rate (<60%) compared to the same tests done by professionals. The tests may' be described as 'simple' but that does not mean there is not room for error or contamination of the result.

In many instances here and other countries these types of tests are used in Workplaces etc and are completed by trained professionals.

There is an additional problem that not all Antigen tests are the same. Some can detect low viral loads - others don't. So while an Antigen test may be approved- it does not mean its has the same accuracy as other Antigen tests.

Tbf - Lidl seem to be pulling a fly one using these tests as a means to promote its stores. If people want Antigen tests - Approved ones can be purchased cheaply online.

Exactly - himself, Glynn and Holohan have been granted an enormous platform by a meek government and subservient media. People waiting with bated breath for the pressers, such fawning behaviour is bordering on the ridiculous. Reminds me of a circus, with ever present clowns in George Lee and Zara King knowing their cues. NPHET should strictly be a background presence, their role is to advise not to lead. Somebody whisper that gently to MM, the shock might rattle the ticker. As a matter of fact, I reckon they are now an obsolete nuisance. We really don't need a daily briefing about case numbers, if the average age is 27 then totals of 500 or 1000 aren't going to make a ripple on hospitalisations/ICU admissions. Keep us up to date on vaccinations, stop banging about "concerning trends" in Roscommon because it doesn't mean anything to the wider public. As for the belligerent Nolan, the party's over for you sunshine.

Exactly - himself, Glynn and Holohan have been granted an enormous platform by a meek government and subservient media. People waiting with bated breath for the pressers, such fawning behaviour is bordering on the ridiculous. Reminds me of a circus, with ever present clowns in George Lee and Zara King knowing their cues. NPHET should strictly be a background presence, their role is to advise not to lead. Somebody whisper that gently to MM, the shock might rattle the ticker. As a matter of fact, I reckon they are now an obsolete nuisance. We really don't need a daily briefing about case numbers, if the average age is 27 then totals of 500 or 1000 aren't going to make a ripple on hospitalisations/ICU admissions. Keep us up to date on vaccinations, stop banging about "concerning trends" in Roscommon because it doesn't mean anything to the wider public. As for the belligerent Nolan, the party's over for you sunshine.

We haven't had a daily briefing in.... god it must be 8 months?
    Out 7 day average of cases is about 400, you saying 1000 a day average would be a ripple..... well, the last HPSC report
    has the daily average at 441 and average age at about 30, close to your 27.
    Based on that, 1000 cases a day would be 226% more admissions, 163 vs 369, hardly a ****ing ripple!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

what are people going talk about when its all over? cause its only weeks away, I guess some people so used to lockdown and some people really actually like the lockdown that it going be hard to change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

dockysher wrote: »
    what are people going talk about when its all over? cause its only weeks away, I guess some people so used to lockdown and some people really actually like the lockdown that it going be hard to change back.

I suppose the Boards Gigs and Events crowd will start talking about gigs and festivals again, likewise different Boards forums. Afterhours will be full of threads like the Covid Epilogue thread, there will be an Irish Pubs thread etc yadder yadder yadder. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

WeirdOccasionalCowbird-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The virus is the enemy not the Gov or NEPHET.
    Everyone is mad to get the "Ah ha Gotcha" moment to destroy their credibility and get rid of them. But who will replace them? Who will take charge and lead? Those that are shouting the loudest from the sidelines dont fill me with any great confidence. You'd think Ireland is the worst rated country dealing with it all by the way some people are reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Everyone is mad to get the "Ah ha Gotcha" moment to destroy their credibility and get rid of them. But who will replace them? Who will take charge and lead? Those that are shouting the loudest from the sidelines dont fill me with any great confidence. You'd think Ireland is the worst rated country dealing with it all by the way some people are reacting.

Their credibility was lost long ago imo. Ireland may not be the worst rated country dealing with it all, but it’s been pretty poor.

As to who will take charge and lead - well what usually happens when a government fails? Someone else steps up, no shortage of people waiting in the wings thinking they can do the job better. Maybe they will fail too, who knows, but I’d back just about anyone else to have a try at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Big day for a lot of business today.

Hope it goes well for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Not so strange, he's an academic and while it's a cliché that they have enormous ego's guess what, clichés are generally true. He has probably never felt so important or relevant in his entire life and is loving it.

He has such a profile because our sniveling government hide behind them, most especially Martin who is afraid of his own shadow and couldn't make a decision to save his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hopefully nobody. This level of power and intrusion into people's lives is unheard of in a modern democracy, hopefully we see the last of it by the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm Sunday

Total 116 (up from 114 8pm Saturday)
    ICU 31 (down from 32 8pm Saturday - 1 death)

Very small increase over the weekend. 8pm Friday - 111

Last Sunday
    Total 128
    ICU 41

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

but don't really see the big risk if someone uses it and if negative, takes normal precautions, but if positive, stays home.
    If this were how they were used, they would be of benefit, for sure, no-one would disagree with you on that. The concern is the people who absolutely won't take this approach, especially when they aren't aware this is how they should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ficheall wrote:
    If this were how they were used, they would be of benefit, for sure, no-one would disagree with you on that. The concern is the people who absolutely won't take this approach, especially when they aren't aware this is how they should be used.

Antigen test kits are on sale in pharmacies too but the only negative comments seem to be about the ones in Lidl.

What's the difference?

I'm expecting at least threads on things people miss about lockdown, what they're most enjoying about their new-found freedom, complaining about people taking non-government-precautions, what things are like covidwise in countries for travel, what people would have done differently had they known covid was going to last so long, and on business/health fallout.

Though "it's all over" in a few weeks seems wildly optimistic, even when restrictions are eased. 0f course, there are those who feel we should just have remained open throughout.

First Up wrote: »
    Antigen test kits are on sale in pharmacies too but the only negative comments seem to be about the ones in Lidl.

What's the difference?
    Are they self-administered?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

First Up wrote: »

What's the difference?

there in lidl (supermarket snobbism)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ficheall wrote:
    Are they self-administered?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What do you mean by it'll be all over in a few weeks? Won't be able to go to a gig or match in a few weeks. Will need a vaccine passport to go on holidays for the foreseeable future (which won't come into effect until June at the earliest and in the meantime there's the threat of a €2,000 fine for foreign travel at the moment). Just curious what you consider "all over"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Vaccine thread is blazing with optimism this morning including some figures on deliveries as we go on

354k+ vaccines being delivered on the week of the 24th being one highlight. While we’re lifting now we still have gears left to shift up into.

This will be us shortly

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1391502605378064390

I can’t wait to unsubscribe to all these threads soon.

Advertisement