Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Would you think there'd be that many though?

Was at a MVC today twice, morning and evening, and I saw lines of hundreds of young people queuing for their first shot of mRNA. Can't imagine it would be much different any other place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mammy just texted me afraid of the lambda variant, from hearing about it on a WHO briefing. She's fully vaccinated but now worried.

When will this nightmare end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I don't think it's a smart thing to do but a positive swab is the quickest route to vaccine passport. Register today for a first shot in two to four weeks time followed by a second four weeks later and a further two weeks wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ruth123456

Can anyone tell me when indoor exercise classes will be allowed?

I’ve been thinking for a long time who ISAG remind me of.. and you’ve nailed it. The Iona Institute mark II. A group of self declared experts with friends in high places in society that RTE seem to have on speed dial.

(yes I know this one claims not to be a member of ISAG, yet shares their views, constantly pushes their message, and is cc’d on their “strategy” emails).

• Advertisement

A well thought out post using detail, both personal and broader to put forward an excellent point. The comparison to the Iona institute is particularly apt. I only watch rte when there is a match or particular event to catch up on so will admit to not knowing how the message is being delivered most of the time. I have regarded what isag have been pushing as fringe as the vast majority of people I know do not express the isag agenda and official government and nphet policy has not adopted their position either. As such when I see the invective directed towards isag I don’t get the point as they have no influence. The opposite side of an irrelevant coin to Dolores Cahill if you will, except with a sincerely held position that has allowed groupthink drag it down a rabbit hole. I will accept others feel they are driving an agenda and feel the same way watching rte as others do seeing Cahill, Cummins et al. and their nonsense being parroted

Iona are a heavily funded Catholic Church lobby group with links to extreme Christian fundamentalist groups. ISAG are a group of well meaning people caught in groupthink

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Summary of some research into recent large scale events.

Herd immunity is an abstract concept according to dodgy maths Nolan on morning Ireland just now.so even if everyone is jabbed we’re still shagged.no ending of this bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Herd immunity, long Covid and vaccine passports are methods of coercion more than anything else.

I think we need to accept that the vaccines alone will not eliminate Covid. But that wouldn’t help uptake I guess.

This is one perspective - Transmission and symptomatic infection are only reduced by 50% at best according to Health Ministry in Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-uk-data-offer-mixed-signals-on-vaccines-potency-against-delta-strain/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@lee_baby_simms wrote:

vaccine passports are methods of coercion

There's no such thing as a vaccine passport. If you mean the restriction of access to indoor hospitality to the vaccinated, at this point that's a reasonable health measure to partially protect staff who haven't had a chance to get vaccinated yet, similar to the way we restrict smoking in public places to outdoors.

If it goes on past mid-Sept (the point at which all consenting adults will be fully vaccinated) that's another matter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I doubt it tbh. There's no doubt a bit of "meh" around whether they catch it, but I see no indication that they're having "covid parties" to deliberately catch it. In terms of the digital cert, full vaccination is the gold standard that will guarantee the ability to travel abroad. Merely having recovered without being vaccinated will still limit your travel options.

Yeah, this is my feeling on it too. After an initial big jump we've apparently plateaued. Which can really only be explained by vaccinations. We may see another bump after indoor dining reopens, but it's looking very unlikely that we'll hit the 4k cases/day equivalent of the UK spike. 2k might be the peak at this stage, if even that.

If it goes on past mid-Sept (the point at which all consenting adults will be fully vaccinated) that's another matter though.

I feel like we might be surprised just how quickly things start moving on the lifting of restrictions when we get to the end of August and we're touching 90% of adults vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So with this delta variant 'rebound' - are the vaccines a waste of time??

look at the UK numbers have hit the roof🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I don’t understand why they dont open pop up vaccination centres in high infection areas at this stage

My daughter lives in London in a high case area . In April the cases rose and people were not applying online . They opened a pop up and put it on Facebook and anyone over 18 could just turn up . It worked and people just walked in and got it .

The same happened in areas in Canada and they moved in and vaccinated the whole town in a week .

Surely Donegal could do with similar now

@seamus wrote

Yeah, this is my feeling on it too. After an initial big jump we've apparently plateaued. Which can really only be explained by vaccinations.

Vaccinations and restrictions. Remember that the UK Delta wave kicked off immediately after re-opening of indoor stuff on May 17th, at which point they were only 30% fully vaxxed.

The recent good weather might have helped us too.

One neat idea is that the required one-dose vaccination rate to tame the virus pre-Delta (low to mid-50s% for UK and Israel) is now the required two-dose vaccination rate with Delta. A number of countries are approaching that 50-something-%-fully-vaxxed rate now.

The next two weeks are crucial, LOL.

That sort of targetted vaccination response doesn't work so well with SARS-Cov-2 because the time to decent immunity is about five weeks, compared to (say) 10-14 days with measles vaccination. By the time the population have developed decent immunity from vaccines the outbreak has burned itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It did it Canada . They locked down the town and people stayed in and the whole town had two doses within four weeks . They also allowed no visitors and no one out . It happened in a large ski resorrt where people from cities were bringing covid in so the stopped all in coming traffic for 6 weeks

now I am aware that is most likely would not work in Donegal as towns merge into each other . In Canada towns can be an hour or two drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The next variant should be called the WTF variant. Suits the situation we're in IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Deaths are on the floor. The vaccines work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

The graph is crazy when overlapped with a lag, huge increases in cases, minor increase in deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It's too early to say we've platued as much as I hope it is true. A few more days and we'll have a much better idea.

I don't agree on the indoor stuff causing the UK Delta wave, sure we've our own one now and we haven't reopened it. If we did reopen indoor dining on 5th July as we were supposed to indoor stuff it would of been blamed for the increase of cases we've had since but it can't be blamed for it now. It possible would have more of an increase if we did reopen it but we don't know that. The UK has almost consistently had more cases than us pro rata throughout the pandemic even when restrictions are similar. Behaviour analysis has shown that Irish people have been generally a lot more compliant with restrictions than our UK counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This vaccine passport stuff is a nonsense.

I know at least 10 people who are fully vaccinated that have got Covid in the last month, so could have had a 'vaccine passport' to get in places but still transmit Covid to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If we've plateaued, then we have plateaued at about a quarter of the number of cases (per capita) that the UK did, without having taken any mitigation measures. This would indicate, as Lumen suggests, that the opening of indoor dining at a lower level of vaccination was the primary driver of the UK surge. No open indoor dining and a huge surge in vaccinations would explain our case numbers being 75% lower than theirs. Yes, behaviourally we have traditionally fared better than the English in particular, but not 75% better.

Any road, it's academic. Hopefully both states are peaking and we're truly entering the final furlong of this clusterfuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The UK made the correct decision a few weeks back by letting people enjoy the euros and get on with life. Cases are completely irrelevant now as it is no more than than a common cold to the unvaccinated under 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Or you know the UK were in the Euros and doing well in it and as a result huge amounts of parties and resulting in covid cases. Similar to how Scotland spiked a week or so after that England game. I think it's got feck all to do with indoor dining as even if it was closed and they had the same measures as here, people were going to party with the Euros no matter what restrictions were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Anyone following this page on Twitter??

seems real… but obviously still have some doubts.

Good page for realistic stats on our hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Some consultant, applauding colleagues that are sharing their Covid certs to the public in protest of the restaurant restrictions. I find it very odd.

And seems to belittle the Covid admissions of the youth, only needing oxygen as if it were a thing of nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's far too early to be jumping to conclusions about a plateau, we've had a couple of days of slightly lower than could have been expected cases given the recent trajectory, the significance of that won't be immediately apparent. It really is still early enough days.

I, personally, don't think it's anything more significant than the extremely good weather leading to people doing things almost exclusively outside and a proportion putting off going for tests because of the sunny weather.

It's a pause, we'll be back to growth soon enough again. I'd be very, very confident of that.

Advertisement