Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

rusty cole wrote:
    Posters on this thread are correct when they say these guys are loving the power they have, but they're like corpse flowers the lot of them. now they're blooming and thumping out all kinds of stink!! they'll be back to normal and in the labs for another decade soon enough.

I'm not criticising NPHET. It's their job to advise. But the reaction to Lidl is strange. There have been warnings about the limitations of Antigen tests before but are they any greater for Lidl's as the one my local chemist sells for €18 a shot?

First Up wrote: »
    I'm not criticising NPHET. It's their job to advise. But the reaction to Lidl is strange. There have been warnings about the limitations of Antigen tests before but are they any greater for Lidl's as the one my local chemist sells for €18 a shot?

The over reaction from Nolan was based on the implication in the nature of the lidl ad - eg. get your charcoal, sausages and antigen test so you can safely have that barbeque.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The over reaction from Nolan was based on the implication in the nature of the lidl ad - eg. get your charcoal, sausages and antigen test so you can safely have that barbeque.

To say 'snake oil' about something is I would say pretty defamatory unless without great reason. He doesn't have anything close to it imo. I wouldn't be fully gone on a widespread use of antigen tests, but for a person in his position, of which he has very questionable qualifications for, to post what he did was utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Antigen testing are the new masks. There will be people on here nodding along with NPHET that antigen testing is not helpful, then as soon as they get in line with the rest of the world and say antigen testing has a place, the same people willing be nodding along that they are useful. Very same thing happened with masks. Do people really think we all won't be doing weekly antigen tests in our workplace later this year and all through next year?

Also I don't think comparing the positivity accuracy of an antigen to a PCR test is a good metric, isn't the problem with a PCR test that it's actually too sensitive picking up people who have recovered from covid. I think I'm right in saying that you can still test positive for covid on a PCR test up to 3 months after actually having the virus. What good is finding and isolating these people?

Did anyone wonder how the positivity rate of the pop up testing was around 3% or 4%? I know some actually had symptoms and they were in particular high incidence rate areas but still, do people actually think about 1 of 25 people in any area are positive for covid any single time and this long after our peak period in Jan and Feb?

Antigen testing will be particularly handy for companies and should be used now in all companies that can't work from home. Test once a week and if positive stay home and get an PCR test. What's the downside of that? NPHET seem to think if we test negative we'll be licking the faces off each other. They really have shown very little trust in people here even though we have been one of the most, if not the most compliant country in all of Europe in terms of following restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It was a joke in response to something Tony H said at a press conference last week. That's all it was, a joke by Lidl and a chance to get a little publicity for the product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

First Up wrote: »
    Lidl announced an intention to sell them nationally so it was inevitable that a NPHET comment would be sought. There is nothing controversial in stating they are less reliable and are best suited to very specific circumstances.

Klonker wrote: »
    It was a joke in response to something Tony H said at a press conference last week. That's all it was, a joke by Lidl and a chance to get a little publicity for the product

I did say it was an overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Antigen testing are the new masks. There will be people on here nodding along with NPHET that antigen testing is not helpful, then as soon as they get in line with the rest of the world and say antigen testing has a place, the same people willing be nodding along that they are useful. Very same thing happened with masks. Do people really think we all won't be doing weekly antigen tests in our workplace later this year and all through next year?
    I think it's the self-administration-coupled-with-a-lack-of-general-info-ness as opposed to the antigen-ness that people are wary of.
    Masks, rapid tests, mandatory quarantine - they all make sense and have been called for since the beginning - the issue, as with so much this past year, is the implementation and communication.

ah sure calling anyone's products "snake oil" is really going to send the oul shares up.. that particular remark was from an established medic to a supermarket in order to detract from their credibility. There's no red cross above your door so what your offering now is in line with homeopathy type of thing.

people need to stop taking these lads as being amazingly intelligent. They are prone to brain farts like the rest of us. You think a mouse in a lab does sums and hands them in? intelligence is measured in many ways from emotional even to a persons own awareness of their body in space. why do people think we call a clumsy person who bumps into things "stupid"... Educated on a field of expertise yes, not omnipotent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think it's the self-administration-coupled-with-a-lack-of-general-info-ness as opposed to the antigen-ness that people are wary of.
    Masks, rapid tests, mandatory quarantine - they all make sense and have been called for since the beginning - the issue, as with so much this past year, is the implementation and communication.

I remember the same discussions last year about "they don't recommend the general public wearing a mask because people would wear it wrong and it would give a false sense of safety and people would go BBQing with their friends with a mask on instead of social distancing". A couple of months later, we all had masks, homemade masks, masks under the nose, and it was considered as better than nothing and as an "extra tool".

What I dislike with the current NPHET/government is that they make (dumb) assumptions on what people would do. Let's not recommend the masks/antigen tests because people might use it impropertly ... Let's put a MHQ because people might not respect the home quarantine...

I have never seen any country run on the assumption that people are not going to respect the laws or that people are children that would make the wrong decision if they were given any choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Longitude 2021 was cancelled earlier

Did MCD really think a 40,000 capacity festival was viable this Summer?

The sceptic in me thinks they did very well with the interest made on millions of euros in ticket sales, before the inevitable refunds

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

ShineOn7 wrote: »

The sceptic in me thinks they did very well with the interest made on millions of euros in ticket sales, before the inevitable refunds
    With many banks now charging interest on holding deposits, i would think the most likely outcome will be ending up costing them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Most, if not all, banks are offering either 0% or negative rates on large deposits.

lukas8888 wrote: »
    With many banks now charging interest on holding deposits, i would think the most likely outcome will be ending up costing them money.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Most, if not all, banks are offering either 0% or negative rates on large deposits.

I wasn't aware. Cool

In that case MCD took a loss on this then. The artists probably didn't charge a deposit given the circumstances, but there was advertisement and administration costs

381 cases

No new mortalities

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-latest-figures-ireland-45-5433139-May2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Edit: That's both Ireland and the UK reporting no one passing from Covid on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wasn't aware. Cool

In that case MCD took a loss on this then. The artists probably didn't charge a deposit given the circumstances, but there was advertisement and administration costs

On a different note on the link about Longitude 2021 being cancelled this bit:

"[Longitude 2021] was due to be headlined by Kendrick Lamar, Tyler, The Creator, and Megan Thee Stallion."

I felt so old (and I'm not that old!) as I've never heard of these. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Also no deaths in Scotland or Northern Ireland

Reddit Ireland's Laura with all the stats, including Vaccination updates

Cohort 7 still an absolute clusterfúck by the looks of this and posts from others in the Vaccination thread

New cases: 381

Denotified cases: 1
    Total cases: 253,189
    New deaths: 0
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,921

Of the 381 cases notified today
    • Male: 192
    • Female: 188
    • Under 45 years old: 293 (77%)
    • Median age: 31
    • Dublin: 188
    • Donegal: 39
    • Kildare: 30
    • Limerick: 13
    • Cork: 13
    • Tipperary: 13
    • Westmeath: 13
    • Remaining 72 cases spread across 15 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Saturday 8th May
    • Total doses: 1,827,610 (+28,420)
    • First dose: 1,327,821 (+22,643)
    • Second dose: 499,789 (+5,777)
    • Fully vaccinated (Second +J&J): 499,929 (+5,780)

Vaccine Type
    • Pfizer: 1,243,762 (+10,602) - 37% of total
    • Moderna: 89,132 (+633) - 2% of total
    • AZ: 494,576 (+17,182) - 60% of total
    • Janssen: 140 (+3) - 0% of total
    Cohort Breakdown

Cohort 1 (Residents aged 65+ in LTCF)
    • Total in group: ~105,000
    • Total vaccines: 195,768 (+11)
    • Total with first vaccine: 110,914 (+7)
    • Total with second vaccine: 84,854 (+4)
    • 106% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 81% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 2 (Frontline Healthcare Workers)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 357,166 (+356)
    • Total with first vaccine: 259,510 (+130)
    • Total with second vaccine: 97,656 (+226)
    • 104% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 39% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 3 (People 70+)
    • Total in group: 482,327
    • Total vaccines: 766,248 (+5,312)
    • Total with first vaccine: 458,738 (+212)
    • Total with second vaccine: 307,510 (+5,100)
    • 95% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 64% of total fully vaccinated (+1%)
    Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total vaccines: 265,691 (+6,075)
    • Total with first vaccine: 256,051 (+5,636)
    • Total with second vaccine: 9,640 (+439)
    • 102% of total half vaccinated (+2%)
    • 3.9% of total fully vaccinated (+0.3%)
    Cohort 5 (All aged 60-69)
    • Total in group: 417,000
    • Total vaccines: 237,455,(+15,134)
    • Total with first vaccine: 237,380 (+15,127)
    • Total with second vaccine: 75 (+7)
    • 57% of total half vaccinated (+4%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated
    Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)
    • Total in group: ~350,000
    • Total vaccines: 2,773 (+8)
    • Total with first vaccine: 2,770 (+8)
    • Total with second vaccine: 3 (+0)
    • 0.8% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Other "Uncoded" Cohort
    • Total: 2,509
    • First Dose: 2,458
    • Second Dose: 51
    (Majority of these will be assigned to the correct cohort in tomorrow's numbers)

Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 124 (+8)
    • ICU: 31 (-0)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 15

• Advertisement

Reddit Ireland's Laura with all the stats, including Vaccination updates

Cohort 7 still an absolute clusterfúck by the looks of this and posts from others in the Vaccination thread

New cases: 381

Denotified cases: 1
    Total cases: 253,189
    New deaths: 0
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,921

Of the 381 cases notified today
    • Male: 192
    • Female: 188
    • Under 45 years old: 293 (77%)
    • Median age: 31
    • Dublin: 188
    • Donegal: 39
    • Kildare: 30
    • Limerick: 13
    • Cork: 13
    • Tipperary: 13
    • Westmeath: 13
    • Remaining 72 cases spread across 15 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Saturday 8th May
    • Total doses: 1,827,610 (+28,420)
    • First dose: 1,327,821 (+22,643)
    • Second dose: 499,789 (+5,777)
    • Fully vaccinated (Second +J&J): 499,929 (+5,780)

Vaccine Type
    • Pfizer: 1,243,762 (+10,602) - 37% of total
    • Moderna: 89,132 (+633) - 2% of total
    • AZ: 494,576 (+17,182) - 60% of total
    • Janssen: 140 (+3) - 0% of total
    Cohort Breakdown

Cohort 1 (Residents aged 65+ in LTCF)
    • Total in group: ~105,000
    • Total vaccines: 195,768 (+11)
    • Total with first vaccine: 110,914 (+7)
    • Total with second vaccine: 84,854 (+4)
    • 106% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 81% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 2 (Frontline Healthcare Workers)
    • Total vaccines: 357,166 (+356)
    • Total with first vaccine: 259,510 (+130)
    • Total with second vaccine: 97,656 (+226)
    • 104% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 39% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 3 (People 70+)
    • Total in group: 482,327
    • Total vaccines: 766,248 (+5,312)
    • Total with first vaccine: 458,738 (+212)
    • Total with second vaccine: 307,510 (+5,100)
    • 95% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 64% of total fully vaccinated (+1%)
    Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total vaccines: 265,691 (+6,075)
    • Total with first vaccine: 256,051 (+5,636)
    • Total with second vaccine: 9,640 (+439)
    • 102% of total half vaccinated (+2%)
    • 3.9% of total fully vaccinated (+0.3%)
    Cohort 5 (All aged 60-69)
    • Total in group: 417,000
    • Total vaccines: 237,455,(+15,134)
    • Total with first vaccine: 237,380 (+15,127)
    • Total with second vaccine: 75 (+7)
    • 57% of total half vaccinated (+4%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated
    Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)
    • Total in group: ~350,000
    • Total vaccines: 2,773 (+8)
    • Total with first vaccine: 2,770 (+8)
    • Total with second vaccine: 3 (+0)
    • 0.8% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Other "Uncoded" Cohort
    • Total: 2,509
    • First Dose: 2,458
    • Second Dose: 51
    (Majority of these will be assigned to the correct cohort in tomorrow's numbers)

Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 124 (+8)
    • ICU: 31 (-0)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 15
    Just what are you going to do to when Group 7 eventually finishes?! I guess you'll find further outrage elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

No NPHET presser conference this evening. We’re in a new phase. They’ll be on Friday afternoons once weekly from now on

No NPHET presser conference this evening. We’re in a new phase. They’ll be on Friday afternoons once weekly from now on
    They've been somewhat pointless for a good few months now, with the HSE briefings delivering far more useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Cant see anyone objecting to this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is it unusual to see increase of 8 on a Monday for hospitalisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just what are you going to do to when Group 7 eventually finishes?! I guess you'll find further outrage elsewhere.

Are you in cohort 7 ? Have you any idea how these chronically ill people are being shunted from billy to jack and still no information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Numbers will have dropped back down as the day has gone on.

Will be lower in the 8pm daily report.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There still could be hope for the Picnic though. :)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1391743882535346187?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1391743882535346187%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058079374page%3D37

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

No. That is the Monday 8 am data, so includes Sunday hospitalisations and very few discharges at the weekend. The Monday night number should be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The lidl ad was a reaction to houlihan make a narky comment about buying antigen tests in lidl with your sausages and bbq fuel.

Lidl responded and then nolan added his snake oil comment.

Advertisement