Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

RGS wrote: »
    The lidl ad was a reaction to houlihan make a narky comment about buying antigen tests in lidl with your sausages and bbq fuel.

Lidl responded and then nolan added his snake oil comment.

I think a lot of people on here don't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Are these official figures? Sorry for doubting you but I’ve seen nothing in the news on this - of course I could have missed it...I kind of thought those with underlying illness were kind of like quite close to being after people over 70 ie basically quite the top priority basically....I kind of thought/presumed there were pushing the whole 50-50 thingy as those vunerable shall we say were sorted....Ummmmm...

I have a friend who is 74 never been in hospital or had any illness other than flu he has no dedicated doctor so four weeks ago when they were vacaniting over 70s he phoned the covid vacannation centre, he told them his age and no doctor, the girl told him she would take his details including date of birth, pps number and mobile number and someone would contact him to date absoulately no contact it's a joke.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He said individuals have saved billions though.
    They have collectively.

Although, there are individuals who have saved billions by themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭User1998

Just watching Virgin Media News
    A piece about the reopening, and the description voice over it said '' people who have been lucky enough to have kept their job during the pandemic have saved BILLIONS and the retailers are hoping some ends up in the till''

How the hell could someone have save BILLIONS since Xmas Eve, or last March , WTF

Well €15,000 saved by 2 million people is €30 billion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I have a friend who is 74 never been in hospital or had any illness other than flu he has no dedicated doctor so four weeks ago when they were vacaniting over 70s he phoned the covid vacannation centre, he told them his age and no doctor, the girl told him she would take his details including date of birth, pps number and mobile number and someone would contact him to date absoulately no contact it's a joke.

Get onto a GP (any local GP) about that. This one needs a bit of pushing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Storm 10 wrote: »

Phone 1850 24 1850 and put your foot down and ask for a supervisor . Be heard

How Professor Nolan ever got a role in NPHET, I'll never know.

If you delve into his background, he is primarily an educational-research type academic. He practiced as an "intern" for 2-years in the early 1990s. Thereafter, it was Maynooth Presidency and so on. Whilst he may be good at statistics, so are many other people - and people with medical qualifications too.

His comment, a la "snake oil", exposes him for what he really is - a paper academic.

The Harvard Professor tore him to shreds - and with an abundance of evidence and logic too.

If Nolan cannot be trusted as something as obvious as antigen testing, then how can we trust him with more complex matters.

The arrogance with which he delivered the tweet was bad enough.

I'm not sure what motivated Nolan to deliver that tweet, but it's remarkable that it ever came out.

In my personal view, Nolan should resign. NPHET should be curtailed in its influence, and the Government should take back control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eskimohunt wrote: »

In my personal view, Nolan should resign. NPHET should be curtailed in its influence, and the Government should take back control.

Let's face it, you've been banging that drum for a year. You don't like the restrictions. We know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

eskimohunt wrote: »

I'm not sure what motivated Nolan to deliver that tweet, but it's remarkable that it ever came out.

I've no doubt that Tony told him to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think you are not alone . Many people think that the vulnerable groups are all vaccinated and this is far from the case
    Cohort 7 had barely started

Yeah I wasn’t being smart and it can be tough keeping up with all the news...I thought anyone with vulnerability was sorted at this stage and hence looking at 50-59 now....Of course you are going to get some people not sorted who should be sorted but it appears figures suggest it is not like just a handful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I have a hunch that sometime in late August early September we will be looking for people to vaccinate. Those that don't want it, those that missed their appointments, those that want to pick the vaccine and those that can't be bothered.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Let's face it, you've been banging that drum for a year. You don't like the restrictions. We know.

Not at all.

Restrictions are absolutely necessary in a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

As of 8pm

In hospital 104 (decrease of 12)
    In ICU 32 (increase of 1 no deaths)

Last Monday

In hospital 135
    In ICU 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

As of 8pm

Last Monday

In hospital 135
    In ICU 40

Amazing

If memory serves, around last July we dropped to just 50 ish in hospital

Even with the re-openings, I wonder could we hopefully see similar by this July

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A

With vaccinations ramping up, and respitory illness' a lot less transmiteable in summer, I would think so

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

thebaz wrote: »
    With vaccinations ramping up, and respitory illness' a lot less transmiteable in summer, I would think so

Probably even before July id say

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭poppers

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Amazing

If memory serves, around last July we dropped to just 50 ish in hospital

this day last yr there were 545 in hospital. id say we will be close to 50 before may is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was the original phased reopening in place this time last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was the original phased reopening in place this time last year ?

May 18th (phase 1)
    June 8 (phase 2)
    June 29th (phase 3)
    July 20th (phase 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

is_that_so wrote:
    Lidl announced an intention to sell them nationally so it was inevitable that a NPHET comment would be sought. There is nothing controversial in stating they are less reliable and are best suited to very specific circumstances.

Yes, but those reservations apply to the Antigen kits (and the people using them) bought a pharmacy as much as to the ones bought in Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

First Up wrote: »
    Yes, but those reservations apply to the Antigen kits (and the people using them) bought a pharmacy as much as to the ones bought in Lidl.
    Nobody is claiming they don't but the question was asked about the business with 143 stores nationwide, which people are far more likely to visit regularly. The media see a story they can run with and will keep it going.

is_that_so wrote:
    Nobody is claiming they don't but the question was asked about the business with 143 stores nationwide, which people are far more likely to visit regularly. The media see a story they can run with and will keep it going.

The media reported what was said.

And asked the question in the first place!

Did you want them to ignore the media question, refuse to answer or give their honest opinion on the question asked???

Jim_Hodge wrote:
    Did you want them to ignore the media question, refuse to answer or give their honest opinion on the question asked???

The response to the question singled out the Lidl test for criticism, for no apparent reason other than people could buy sausages at the same time.

The response to the question singled out the Lidl test for criticism, for no apparent reason other than people could buy sausages at the same time.

Did you hear the question? It referred to Supermarket sellers. How many supermarkets are selling them?

There are much bigger issues to get's one's knickers in a twist over at the moment. Take a few deep breaths and let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Well how long do you see the quarantine hotels in operation? Getting married next year and of course murphy's law its a quarantine hotel - Missus is devastated. Early enough now to search for another venue but not next year if it is still such. Hotel says they wont be but they would say mass!

Rx713B wrote: »
    Well how long do you see the quarantine hotels in operation? Getting married next year and of course murphy's law its a quarantine hotel - Missus is devastated. Early enough now to search for another venue but not next year if it is still such. Hotel says they wont be but they would say mass!
    Originally it was until June but that could well be extended. I'd guess at a further 3 months if they do and then an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

As of 8pm

Last Monday

In hospital 135
    In ICU 40

I really think covid is over at this stage as a serious thing here in Ireland. Because of vaccines it'll now be comparable to the flu with similar increases in Winter.

Hopefully the government and NPHET might speed up the reopening similar to last year. There's no reason outdoor dining couldnt open now and indoor in early June.

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    I really think covid is over at this stage as a serious thing here in Ireland. Because of vaccines it'll now be comparable to the flu with similar increases in Winter.

Hopefully the government and NPHET might speed up the reopening similar to last year. There's no reason outdoor dining couldnt open now and indoor in early June.
    That is dependent on how many people they get vaccinated, supposed to be 270K shots this week.

Advertisement