Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,204 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

In a bizarre way, that’s quite good news!

Shows things are getting somewhat back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

How?

There was 2,000 in hospital with covid in January.

I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Has case numbers and deaths been announced or am I missing something.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has case numbers and deaths been announced or am I missing something.

No. Its late today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

379 new cases. 9 additional deaths

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

shinzon wrote: »

Shin

I hope the deaths are backlog, quite a lot there. RIP to the 9 who passed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How are these backlog deaths so delayed. Coroners report or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Vicxas wrote: »
    How are these backlog deaths so delayed. Coroners report or something?

The families have three months to report it.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/registering-a-birth-death-or-marriage/how-to-register-a-death-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Increase of 3 in ICU. George Lee will have a seizure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

shinzon wrote: »

Shin

7 day average in cases 418 it was 457 last Tuesday

7 day average in reported deaths 4 the same as last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Gael23 wrote: »
    Increase of 3 in ICU. George Lee will have a seizure
    He must be in a bad way indeed if he's having seizures as often as this joke is made.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Why do we have UAE on our MHQ list?
    Passengers using Abu Dhabi or Dubai (or indeed Doha in Qatar) as transit points when originating from variant of concern countries such as South Africa.

Quite a lot of Africa/Asian traffic uses Emirates/Etihad/Qatar Airways to travel to Dublin due to their extensive route network and connections.

Where the logic fails here is that quite a lot of Africa/Asia traffic uses KLM/British Airways to travel to Dublin due to their extensive route network and connections via London Heathrow and Amsterdam Schiphol, but the UK nor the Netherlands are on the MHQ list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Why do we have UAE on our MHQ list?

Transit hub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

About time for some proper questions of those who have avoided a certain origin/GoF topic for 15 months while ordinary people suffered across the world. We cannot afford to have no stone unturned for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Transit hub

That’s not a good enough reason. Many transit hubs are not on the list. It’s not fair in people who live there or come in from countries not in the list (Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is anyone seeing an update on Twitter etc of when the reported 9 people passed?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Is anyone seeing an update on Twitter etc of when the reported 9 people passed?

Probably the same pattern as other backlogs.

1-2 a month for the past 3-4 months.

speckle wrote: »
    About time for some proper questions of those who have avoided a certain origin/GoF topic for 15 months while ordinary people suffered across the world. We cannot afford to have no stone unturned for future generations.

I would ask the question why certain individuals appear to want China to be the cause. Throughout human history there have been countless pandemics. On the balance of probabilities this is likely to be like all the others. Natural

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So I know two 58 year olds, that both got their texts today, having registered whatever day the 58 yr old day was.

One northside, one southside, 1 Aviva Pfizer, 1 Helix Pfizer, both getting jab on Friday.

I posted this on vax thread, but for info here too.

• Advertisement

I would ask the question why certain individuals appear to want China to be the cause. Throughout human history there have been countless pandemics. On the balance of probabilities this is likely to be like all the others. Natural

Raind..did you actually watch it... It was mainly discussing the USa?

Raind..did you actually watch it... It was mainly discussing the USa?

Admittedly I only listened to the first sentence before passing judgement. On listening to the full video it is now clear that I was 100% correct in my initial assessment and Rand Paul is expertly playing the fiddle of those triggered by “China”. Essentially he was just short of saying “you can’t prove it didn’t come from the lab therefore it did”

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

Throughout human history there have been countless death by natural causes.
    Balance of probabilities showing in that directions, but what about bullet hole in the head?

Admittedly I only listened to the first sentence before passing judgement. On listening to the full video it is now clear that I was 100% correct in my initial assessment and Rand Paul is expertly playing the fiddle of those triggered by “China”. Essentially he was just short of saying “you can’t prove it didn’t come from the lab therefore it did”

The discussion was about faucci et al. funding gain of function research via a back door into potentially deadly viruses via the One Health Alliance organisation when it was banned for a period of time in the USA whether this funded research was there or any other country is immaterial to me as we have had just too many accidents and accidental virus escapes from these sort of labs whether or not sars coV2 can be added to that list or not...

Sounds like you are possibly more triggered than people like myself who can look at the fundamental broader issue of the potential downsides of these particular labs disregarding who or what poltical side the question is coming from? These questions need to be asked full stop. Maybe I do you a deservice in stating the above being implied in your response?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How?

There was 2,000 in hospital with covid in January.

I don't get it.

According to the news, it's due to staff deployed at vaccine centres.
    The union said 376 patients were on trolleys this morning - the highest figure since 5 March 2020 before the pandemic was confirmed.

The INMO claimed the redeployment of nursing staff to vaccination duties had triggered the closure of scaling back of certain day services, resulting in additional pressure on emergency departments.

zvone wrote: »
    Throughout human history there have been countless death by natural causes.
    Balance of probabilities showing in that directions, but what about bullet hole in the head?

The approach been taken by some is the victim must have been shot because there was someone in the city with a gun, even though there is no evidence of a gunshot having taken place

The discussion was about faucci et al. funding gain of function research via a back door into potentially deadly viruses via the One Health Alliance organisation when it was banned for a period of time in the USA whether this funded research was there or any other country is immaterial to me as we have had just too many accidents and accidental virus escapes from these sort of labs whether or not sars coV2 can be added to that list or not...

Sounds like you are possibly more triggered than people like myself who can look at the fundamental broader issue of the potential downsides of these particular labs disregarding who or what poltical side the question is coming from? These questions need to be asked full stop. Maybe I do you a deservice in stating the above being implied in your response?

It was all about planting the seed, getting Fauci talking about virus research and maybe even get something quotable for future use when some darker insinuations can be made.

And the question as to whether labs should be conducting research into the evolutionary pathways of potentially dangerous virus so as to better understand the potential risks that will come down the track and hopefully develop the tools to avoid/prevent them in the future. Sounds like a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Caught an hour of the Brit Awards tonight. Nothing like it’s heyday of Jarvis Cocker running onstage to moon during Michael Jackson’s performance, but it made me feel positive watching it.

4000 audience in the 02 Arena, all gathered together with no masks or social distancing, though negative antigen tests required beforehand. It just felt like a proper live music event, and I’m sure it was an amazing feeling for those in the audience to be back in that kind of environment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Caught an hour of the Brit Awards tonight. Nothing like it’s heyday of Jarvis Cocker running onstage to moon during Michael Jackson’s performance, but it made me feel positive watching it.

4000 audience in the 02 Arena, all gathered together with no masks or social distancing, though negative antigen tests required beforehand. It just felt like a proper live music event, and I’m sure it was an amazing feeling for those in the audience to be back in that kind of environment again.

Did Philip Nolan give the ok for the Antigen tests?

• Advertisement

It was all about planting the seed, getting Fauci talking about virus research and maybe even get something quotable for future use when some darker insinuations can be made.

And the question as to whether labs should be conducting research into the evolutionary pathways of potentially dangerous virus so as to better understand the potential risks that will come down the track and hopefully develop the tools to avoid/prevent them in the future. Sounds like a terrible idea.

And should that stop the questions being asked re gain of function research anyway? Not sure what you mean... is gain of function the terrible idea? Because I am getting tired of billions pumped into GOF on behalf of a tiny minority of scientists to the expense of other scientific research where it could make a huge postive difference for humankind.

The risks out weigh the benefits imo. I would like to see a worldwide moritorium with serious consequences for non adherance and grants redirected more postively. First up protecting habitats of bats! :D

Will we ever learn that nature holds many keys for healing... in which many treatments for illness already have been found and are still being found today but at the rate of its decimation possibly not in the future.

Start scientifically/medically researching the illnesses we have already before trotting off making new dangerous ones. Are these GOFscientists mad or deluded... or power/ego/cash hungry or just down right dangerously stupid?

Advertisement