Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 106 (up from 104 last night)
    ICU 34 (up from 32 last night - no deaths)

Last Tuesday
    Total 132
    ICU 39

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://covid19.healthdata.org/ireland?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

Oddly enough the COVID data projection feature on worldometer now uses the estimated figures by IMHE as the current death tolls for countries rather than official numbers. Seems kind of strange really, to allow a theory like that to be taken like official data for an important issue where verified rather than theoretical data should be prioritised ? Or is it thought to be a very accurate and reputable estimate?

Ireland's current death toll is 7200 by their count, as they estimate Ireland undercounted deaths by a bit over 2000.

Some very dramatic upward revisions in other places..IMHE projections now list Mexico's COVID death toll as 620k, just under 1 MILLION in USA!, 610k in Russia and 800k in India and 620k in Brazil, 200k in Iran,160k in South Africa, for example..

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://covid19.healthdata.org/ireland?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

Oddly enough the COVID data projection feature on worldometer now uses the estimated figures by IMHE as the current death tolls for countries rather than official numbers. Seems kind of strange really, to allow a theory like that to be taken like official data for an important issue where verified rather than theoretical data should be prioritised ? Or is it thought to be a very accurate and reputable estimate?

Ireland's current death toll is 7200 by their count, as they estimate Ireland undercounted deaths by a bit over 2000.

Some very dramatic upward revisions in other places..IMHE projections now list Mexico's COVID death toll as 620k, just under 1 MILLION in USA!, 610k in Russia and 800k in India and 620k in Brazil, 200k in Iran,160k in South Africa, for example..

That’s not worldometers. And neither are official or particularly reliable data sources

speckle wrote: »
    And should that stop the questions being asked re gain of function research anyway? Not sure what you mean... is gain of function the terrible idea? Because I am getting tired of billions pumped into GOF on behalf of a tiny minority of scientists to the expense of other scientific research where it could make a huge postive difference for humankind.

The risks out weigh the benefits imo. I would like to see a worldwide moritorium with serious consequences for non adherance and grants redirected more postively. First up protecting habitats of bats! :D

Will we ever learn that nature holds many keys for healing... in which many treatments for illness already have been found and are still being found today but at the rate of its decimation possibly not in the future.

Start scientifically/medically researching the illnesses we have already before trotting off making new dangerous ones. Are these GOFscientists mad or deluded... or power/ego/cash hungry or just down right dangerously stupid?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK285579/

A bit of perspective needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Good Morning,

Just wondering if the Geo Hive updates every Thursday for the previous 14 days or just updates fortnightly? Does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

""Effective today, Ontario will be pausing the rollout and administration of first doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine at this time," Williams told reporters on Tuesday.

Williams said the decision was made out of an abundance of caution. The blood clotting syndrome, while rare, can be fatal.

According to the Ontario health ministry, as of May 8, more than 853,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were administered with a rate of VITT of roughly 1 per 100,000 doses administered.

The ministry said there have been increased reports of VITT, with a rate of 1.7 per 100,000 doses administered, over the last few days.

Williams said the Ontario government is reviewing the data to consider whether to use AstraZeneca for second doses and is preparing guidance for people who received AstraZeneca as a first dose.

Williams said the decision to pause the use of AstraZeneca is also based on an increased supply of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and a downward trend in COVID-19 cases. The province has asked the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) to provide direction on the mixing and matching of different brands of vaccine for first and second doses.

"The National Advisory Committee on Immunization says people at low risk of COVID-19 should wait until they can get a dose from Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

Dr. Andrew Morris, an infectious diseases physician and director of the antimicrobial stewardship program at Sinai Health in Toronto, said given what we now know of the risk of VITT combined with greater supply of Pfizer and Moderna, and lower incidence of COVID-19 in most of Canada, the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine no longer outweigh the risks in most of Canada.

He said if COVID-19 hot spots in places like Toronto, Brampton, Winnipeg, and much of Alberta can't get enough doses of Pfizer or Moderna, then AstraZeneca still is a good choice there.

"Everywhere else, it no longer makes sense based on what we know, to give AZ vaccine," he said on Twitter."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good Morning,

Just wondering if the Geo Hive updates every Thursday for the previous 14 days or just updates fortnightly? Does anyone know?
    Most of it updates daily, some of it updates multiple times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Wow is right, food for thought for all the Zero covid, MHQ lovers:

https://twitter.com/rachsig/status/1392451275761983495

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OwenM wrote: »
    Wow is right, food for thought for all the Zero covid, MHQ lovers:

https://twitter.com/rachsig/status/1392451275761983495

I guess it depends on how much you value foreign travel. I'd be a little annoyed, but it wouldn't be a huge issue for me so long as everything was 100% fully open inside the country.

You'd want to see some form of plan in place though. Aussies and Kiwis will be watching Europe and the US managing to vaccinate the bulk of their populations inside 6 months, while their own governments are telling them it's going to be another 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

seamus wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how much you value foreign travel. I'd be a little annoyed, but it wouldn't be a huge issue for me so long as everything was 100% fully open inside the country.

You'd want to see some form of plan in place though. Aussies and Kiwis will be watching Europe and the US managing to vaccinate the bulk of their populations inside 6 months, while their own governments are telling them it's going to be another 18 months.

Don’t forget a large number there with families elsewhere . Thai , Filipino , Irish , Chinese and Indonesians

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Even as someone that's been quite content on this island, the thought that international travel (I know this is Australia) would remain heavily restricted well into the future would be both very disappointing and quite concerning - even if he's being honest.

Were such a policy enacted here, that would be the end of all travel related sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think it's often overlooked in this discussion just how many people have family members living abroad. Its not just about foreign travel for the sake of a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

The same person later tweeted this, so it's a big deal for some people:

https://twitter.com/rachsig/status/1392451818190344193

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

It might have been a small price to pay for relative normality over the past year, but when they see Europe and the US fully open AND able to travel abroad it mightn't seem so appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated
    Two wrongs...

It’s not about valuing foreign travel (or ‘holliers’ as some here like to say). It’s about seeing your family. Would never work in Ireland given that so many of us have family spread across Europe and the UK. AUS and NZ are a little more (though not entirely) self contained. Imagine telling everyone here that they can’t leave, or welcome anyone in, until 2023.

Utter insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ficheall wrote: »
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated
    Two wrongs...
    The education system has failed them completely. Still behaving like a bunch of 6 year olds!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ficheall wrote: »
    Two wrongs...

Thank you. The laugh really did me good. The world has a good share of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

AdamD wrote: »
    I think it's often overlooked in this discussion just how many people have family members living abroad. Its not just about foreign travel for the sake of a holiday.

While I agree totally with your point, it hasn't really been overlooked at all. It's been stated countless times in the argument that going abroad isn't always about 'holliers', but the same people refuse to change from this cobweb laden usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

448 cases and 8 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 86,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

paulie21 wrote: »
    448 cases and 8 deaths

RIP, is cases high expected with reopenings? I thought we would be lowering with vaccinated, shame more deaths

paulie21 wrote: »
    448 cases and 8 deaths

While people still like to see them, it's interesting to note how the daily cases now have secondary importance in comparison to the number of vaccinations.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP, is cases high expected with reopenings? I thought we would be lowering with vaccinated, shame more deaths

Case numbers with the re-openings won't really be seen for another week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Still only 2%

No issue at all

229 in Dublin, 38 in Meath, 35 in Kildare, 34 in Cork, 16 in Limerick and the remaining 96 cases are spread across 16 other counties

As of 8am today, 109 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 34 are in ICU. There have been 12 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours

Of the mortalities notified today:

3 occurred in March, 2 occurred in February and 3 occurred in January or earlier

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9919a-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-wednesday-12-may/

Reddit Ireland's Laura with the daily cases/vaccinations update

Could we see hospitals below 100 later tonight when The Doctor checks in? I hope so

New cases: 448

Denotified cases: 2
    Total cases: 254,013
    New deaths: 8
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,937

Of the 8 mortalities reported today
    • 3 occurred in March
    • 2 occurred in February
    • 3 occurred in January or earlier
    • Median age: 82
    • Age range: 40 - 92
    Of the 448 cases notified today
    • Male: 213
    • Female: 230
    • Under 45 years old: 349 (78%)
    • Median age: 29
    • Dublin: 229
    • Meath: 38
    • Kildare: 35
    • Cork: 34
    • Limerick: 16
    • Remaining 96 cases spread across 16 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Monday 10th May
    • Total doses: 1,882,635 (+33,888)
    • First dose: 1,376,583 (+29,022)
    • Second dose: 506,052 (+4,866)
    • Fully vaccinated (Second +J&J): 506,447 (+5,096)
    Vaccine Type
    • Pfizer: 1,245,913 (+12,420) - 37% of total
    • Moderna: 89,916 (+517) - 2% of total
    • AZ: 532,411 (+20,721) - 61% of total
    • Janssen: 395 (230) - 0.7% of total
    Cohort Breakdown
    Cohort 1 (Residents aged 65+ in LTCF)
    • Total in group: ~105,000
    • Total vaccines: 195,451 (-379)
    • Total with first vaccine: 110,641 (-392)
    • Total with second vaccine: 84,810 (-50)
    • 105% of total half vaccinated (-1%)
    • 81% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    More than likely people were assigned to the incorrect cohort
    Cohort 2 (Frontline Healthcare Workers)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 358,062 (+539)
    • Total with first vaccine: 260,035 (+243)
    • Total with second vaccine: 98,027 (+296)
    • 104% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 39% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 3 (People 70+)
    • Total in group: 482,327
    • Total vaccines: 772,306 (+4,517)
    • Total with first vaccine: 459,753 (+640)
    • Total with second vaccine: 312,553 (+3,877)
    • 95% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 65% of total fully vaccinated (+1%)
    Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 272,837 (+4,807)
    • Total with first vaccine: 262,323 (+4,079)
    • Total with second vaccine: 10,514 (+728)
    • 105% of total half vaccinated (+2%)
    • 4.2% of total fully vaccinated (+0.3%)
    Cohort 5 (All aged 60-69)
    • Total in group: 417,000
    • Total vaccines: 269,957 (+16,235)
    • Total with first vaccine: 269,865 (+16,223)
    • Total with second vaccine: 92 (+12)
    • 65% of total half vaccinated (+4%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated
    Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)
    • Total in group: ~350,000
    • Total vaccines: 2,807 (+22)
    • Total with first vaccine: 2,804 (+22)
    • Total with second vaccine: 3 (+0)
    • 0.8% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)

Cohort 9 (People aged 50-59)
    • Total in group: No figure given as far as I can see
    • Total vaccines: 10,854
    • Total with first vaccine: 10,848
    • Total with second vaccine: 6
    Other "Uncoded" Cohort
    • Total: 361
    • First Dose: 314
    • Second Dose: 47

Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 109 (-8)
    • ICU: 34 (-0)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    It was said way back last year that they would continue as long as people found them useful, now we don't. NPHET will, however, remain until Donnelly dissolves it.

Advertisement