Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Rusty it’s all about the long COVID get with the program

edit sorry taxi that reply was for rusty’s post.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I read every bit of your post seamus

you didn’t answer my question I see and you were the one who initially started forecasting the future so I’m not sure do you see the hypocrisy in the lotto numbers comment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not great to be honest and in those larger countries, particularly France and Italy they have more powers at a regional level which also means they don't have a "standard" hospital/healthcare one either.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You'd wonder if we were a vaccine resistant country what would happen

Never open again?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Reasonably possible" means doing as much as can be done in relation to the size of the threat. In this case, temporary restrictions in anticipation of reaching some future milestone while providing support to those affected by them, is a reasonable measure to address threat. Indefinite, open-ended restrictions with no indication of how they might be removed, is not reasonable. Likewise harsh restrictions while hospitals are not in danger, is not reasonable.

End of "the emergency" comes when we get to the point that it's manageable. The sandbagging example is often used. You put sandbags out to protect peoples' properties from flood water. You close up your doors, everyone helps eachother out. That's an emergency. What if the flood waters never recede? What if the water level is now 2.5 inches higher on a permanent basis? Well it's not an emergency anymore. The threat still exists, but you have it under control. You still need the sandbags, but you need to start opening your doors again and carrying on with life and work around the flood waters. Eventually you might even just replace the sandbags with stone kerbs and have a Venetian-style thing going on.

Functionally that's the same here. When vaccination has reached the maximum level that we can achieve without getting the absurdity of painstakingly chasing down every possible recipient, then you have put out as many sandbags as you can, but the flood waters aren't going to recede. So it's time to just get on with life.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, what public health advice do you think he's not following by planning to work at an event in Northern Ireland?

ahhh yes long covid..what's it up to now 1 in ten or 2 in ten will certainly have it. Gosh aren't the football clubs and Olympians and tyson furys of the sports worlds just bricking it, now going by the math's, they are sure to get this debilitating career ending disease???

some clown shoe was wheeled out last night throwing out all kinds of "has been linked to" and "a recent study shows" nonsense hyperbole...primetime

No basis in science whatsoever..it's also amazing to me that all these boards are loaded with folks who don't understand basic chemistry, biology and even physics but dont let that stop them banging on about what they read on twitter minutes after a humanities graduate from RTE mansplained it to them..

ever feel shyte and ask the doc what's up and he says what??? oh you just picked up a virus...why??? because there are billions in your body and science has feck all idea what half them do.. we do know now some cause cancer and the so does some of the 3 pounds of bacteria in your system.

doctors are not even looking at differential diagnosis anymore because they get paid to just say, covid..and who can blame them when they're making a killing in some clinics.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

We would leaving on PUP till it runs out. Then, the hangover would be quite severe.

Simon harris was saying all women had the right to do what they wanted with their bodies, "my body my choice" was his phrase de jour.

The the same Govt passed legislation on coercive control in a relationship.

I find it ironic how the former ideal has been cast aside whilst actual coercion is being doled out in stealth whilst the "if you're not with us, you're against us" jargon is used to create conflict and even hate speech. If you're unvaxed as they say, you're part of the problem where as the vaxed are all piously part of the solution...

it's very tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Vaccine myths often spread because they speak to the fears people already have, and in some cases, that’s done with intention. 

Most of these claims have actually started from anti-vaccination advocates who have for decades spread false claims about vaccines and have spread confusion. The claims are deliberately misleading and take advantage of people’s fears.

This is why it’s so important to pay attention to where information is coming from and to do your own research through reliable sources.

The most reliable source of information is the CDC. The CDC puts out information in multiple languages and addresses each of these concerns.

Locally, you can reach out to your personal doctor and public health officials, as well.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. There is a lot of bad information out there, and knowing where that bad information comes from can help you get the facts you need to be safe.

With [a growing number] of the adult population vaccinated, we are well on our way to achieving herd immunity. But that can only happen if more people commit to protecting themselves and others — which makes debunking vaccine myths all that much more important and eventually will remove this division of society.

• Advertisement

It’s not in the spirit of the public health advice offered in the south of Ireland

I could not give a **** but the poster was holding those students in salthill to incredibly high standards when he shared a video of them

I would expect him to hold himself to the same standards

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@FintanMcluskey wrote

Ireland is months behind the rest of the world

In terms of easing restrictions? Dunno about that. I'm in France and a pass sanitaire is now required for all dining, indoor or outdoor, for anyone over 12. That means my kids can't eat out (unless I got them re-tested every couple of days), because Ireland hasn't yet introduced vaccination for their age group yet. Not even on an open terrace.

Most areas also have compulsory masking in all public outdoor places.

Now compliance and enforcement is another question (both seem a little lax to me, there's a bit of don't-ask-don't-tell for the dining) but there are signs everywhere about the pass sanitaire and lots of masks worn outdoors, except on the beach.

Why is not in the "spirit" of the public health advice though? You can:

• Travel to any county in Ireland
    • Have live music outdoors

I don't see him doing anything which is not "in the spirit" of the public health advice. He is working, outdoors, and will adhere to the advice.

Outdoor events are permitted in the Republic, by which by implication means that people are permitted to work at outdoor events.

Even going to the festival to enjoy it, is not against the "spirit" of the advice in the Republic, provided that you take appropriate precautions.

Seems like you're really grasping here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, the regulations are due to run to another few months so the government does. Yes, we're still in that emergency, the tail end of it IMO but there's nothing to be gained from just rushing out of it. I'll wait for the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Amazing given all that that Electric Picnic never happened.

That's a genuine post but c'mon now, a doctor of 40 years gave his expert opinion and his eminent career was finished. Look at the clout that man had.

Any joe off the street who askes a contradictory question of a GP will be told all interventions are on skype going forward, unless you get a jab, this is the reality. A lot of that bad information you say is out there, is on RTE and TV3. The likes of Luke O'Neil are just men, just men with ego's and faults. In the end they can say, that's where the science was at the time, but with the passage of that same time and as science evolves blah blah blah, it's all in the learning. He's enjoying the same fame, adoration and celebrity as Fr Brendan smith would have back in the day and it's power of persuasion.

If the media did their job right, then the science would, be subject to scrutiny and we'd be in a better place. Also there's a huge culture of do as we say not as we do that goes with it. On the science side, remember Walter freeman carried out scandalous barbarism in the 1950, lobotomizing thousands with an ice pick and hammer. He was fully supported and applauded my medics..One pick even broke off in a guys eye..but this was the science at the time..it later transpired he never even practiced surgery, he was a mundane psychologist.. wearing a white coat and being very charismatic can get you further that you would believe. Just google Hadacol... the media have made a huge mess of this..the same media that made andrew Wakefield a bloody hero of all things.

And in terms of Anti Vax, Tony Blair refused to state if his son leo had the MMR, while he was in number 10 in the midst of a measles resurgence.. he;s a charlatan out now calling for mass division on the unvaxed. once again, do as we say, not as we do!

no being obnoxious, yours was a nice post, im just giving some meat for my process.

Fair enough I must have misread the public health advice in the south

I assume a negative covid test will suffice to enter a gig with a few thousand in the Dublin this weekend

don’t think I’m the one grasping seamus

but your lack of consistency is amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 are injected into the arm to teach muscle cells how to make part of the spike protein of the novel coronavirus. Then, an immune response toward this protein is made, and if the virus gets into our body, our immune system is already trained to attack it.

mRNA is naturally made by the body, but that the mRNA from vaccines isn’t made in or going into the nucleus of the cells, where the DNA is actually contained.

In addition, the mRNA from the vaccines is destroyed by the cell after the instructions are read so there is no circulation of this inserted mRNA in our body, and we just have the developed immune protection.

We need to make clear that there are different types of vaccine efficacy, such as efficacy to prevent infection and efficacy to prevent symptomatic or severe disease.

1,819 new cases, 206 in hospital, 36 in ICU, 78% of adults fully vaccinated and we are at over 89% with at least one shot. All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Yeah, this is it - it’s rampant amongst certain groups. Since January there’s been 222,000 cases of Covid.

I’m wondering if there’s even a system in place where they can cross reference (from PPS numbers perhaps) to see who amongst those 222,000 have been vaccinated and who have not. Those who haven’t been vaccinated would also add to our immunity levels. There has been reports in the past week on the level of antibodies in each UK nation (from being vaccinated or previously infected) and they were 80-90%, which gave them greater confidence in easing restrictions. There’s been no mention of any such study here though.

• Advertisement

with respect, if you said it was injected into the deltoid, bicep, tricep, supraspinatus tendon etc, I'd be absolutely no more impressed with your introduction to vaccine efficacy 101. I know exactly what DNA and MRNA is I know all about it, not sure why my post asked for a breakdown or maybe you felt the need to peacock a little so we'd all be wow'd by your amazing knowledge..eggheads are looking for an other Irish guy I heard.

We are all well versed on efficacy against transmission Vs severe sickness, we are all bored of hearing sensitivity and specificity from would be egg headed class clowns like donneely too, it's no more impressive from him to recant sciencey jargon, like a snake oil salesman either. He should leave those things to the experts if they are even given their actual time in the limelight.

And if you know anything about the scientific method you'd agree this is a shyte show. of course I cannot say that without being asked if I subscribe to Gript.ie or paddy fuckin Cosgrave.

And on the vaccine being destroyed in the body, so are normal cells, they have a finite life span pre programmed and when they don't die, we call it a sarcoma or carcinoma....CANCER nothing is certain as these are still on trial. And yet many Cancers are going undiagnosed..isn't it one in 2 of us will have cancer now??? that's a long backlog list for chemo eh!!

has al the data that was pending been handed over from all the manufacturers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

That's the problem: perpetual crisis and emergency. It is quite likely that, come November, we'll be in a rising case scenario associated with winter and, although there will be comparatively minor effect on ICU numbers, they will rise too and this will be used as a pretext to extend emergency powers. I would like to think those who are predicting the opposite will at this point turn and oppose government policy but I fear this will not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Honestly, your post is just a lot of soundbites, it reads like some sigma six executive blurb. "Temporary restrictions in anticipation of reaching some future milestone while providing support to those affected by them". "When vaccination has reached the maximum level that we can achieve".

Which is the issue here, people won't stop fudging and just state some clearly defined metrics that they agree with. What is an acceptable vaccination level? How many deaths are acceptable? What date should we expect this to be over? Its hard not to believe that people won't clearly state their opinion because they don't want to have to acknowledge it when that KPI comes and goes without enough meaningful change.

Sandbags? This isn't March 2020, we know exactly what this virus is, we know who it affects the most, we know what those people need to do, we have real world data from countries ahead of us regarding what is going to happen next. By any definition this is no longer an immediate emergency and yet people still won't just come out and say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Grow a pair and state your own opinion, stop equivocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

He thinks Ireland is following the UK in this wave and coming out the other side but does not understand Ireland is 2 months behind in reallity.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The national framework for living with covid surely deserves another run out... Sure it didn't even get used the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It was a beautifully printed booklet in fairness. So we'll printed that you could've even wipe your arse with it, rendering it completely useless.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

This next plan is supposed to be really living with COVID, i.e. without all of the restrictions, and we do need one of those. People like to see plans even if they are not all that real, it gives an illusion of control. As for the iterations of the previous ones, well once they started the mix and match of levels that was gone but they were all about crisis management.

• Advertisement

Reality is a higher rate of vaccination than the UK and a completed programme by the middle of next month. We also have low hospitalisation rates and deaths so which reality are you talking about?

Advertisement