Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

thanks Adamd and Vicxas hadnt thought of both those points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Johnny0toole mention on the previous page that only 8% of the adult population was vaccinated by 24th April. If that was the case, then taking April as a start point is of course going to include many people who had not had the chance to be vaccinated.

Similar to Fauci in the states saying 99.99% of deaths were in the unvaccinated - true because it includes deaths from before vaccines were even a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@wpd wrote:

155 deaths from covid since april 2021 however only 7 of these were fully vaccinated

given that over 70% of adult pop vaccinated how can this be, were the 148 deaths in 20 something year olds??

Well, we haven't had 70% vaccinated since April. 92% of all deaths occur in unvaccinated people 65+ and 97% of deaths are in people aged 55+. So although a considerable proportion of very old people were covered in April, the vaccine programme was really only beginning to touch on the 50+ cohort by the start of May. And you had the Astrazeneca gap issue. In reality there was a large chunk of relatively vulnerable people still waiting on full vaccination up to the start of July.

Also, these cohorts aren't completely, 100%, fully vaccinated. Even if 99% of over-65s are vaccinated, that leaves 1% who aren't. If there are 1m in that age group, then you have 10,000 people fully unprotected.

Up to mid-may we had 31,000 cases in over-65s, resulting in 4,400 deaths. That's about 1 in 7. If 5% of the unvaccinated 10k picked it up (500), then you stand to see 70 people die.

This is how we have 155 deaths since April.

Not at all. The last thing I do is trawl through past posts and posters to try catch them out, appearances are deceptive. I have zero idea as to what you work at or as to your profession, that's generally how questions work. I have no issue, I'm an engineer and don't see the issue in saying so and if you think I'm baiting you believe me, I've better things to do with my time. In actual fact if you were less circumspect and more logical, you'd understand that from the posts I have seen, you seem educated or well read. Ignore all you want , if that's how your process works. I asked because if somebody sounds like they know their stuff, no matter what side of the fence their on, I don't mind asking, let's just say I like to sort the WIKI wonders from those who actually understand general science even. There's loads of waffle getting thrown about by folks that don't know and organ from an organelle.

And to be fair, it's not your personal life, it's your profession, as to the nature of my enquiry but ok, I understand, no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The numbers add up alright. The majority of those deaths are from April/May when we didn't have the 55+ age groups fully covered.

What we have now are a thankfully very small number of deaths, even with 1500/1800 cases a day. The vaccines work better than we could have hoped. Unfortunately we have a government that doesn't work and needed a little breakeen instead of issuing guidance for the summer recess.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fair enough .

I did not get the impression you wanted to discuss anything and were being derogatory about 'education' etc .

ICU nurse . Dublin .

But not for much longer if I have anything to do with it , after the last 18months .

I only discuss what I can without revealing where I work or without breaking confidentiality of any of my patients, or colleagues .

Just because I disagree with you or Fintan, now and again does not make my posts illogical , btw .

We are all entitled to our opinions , but not to ridicule others or attack them for theirs .

I think all of us have been guilty of this at times when discourse gets heated , but having the grace to apologise and accept that others have different opinions is important, at least has been on this thread if not others .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Similarly I'm dubious about the uproar over the news during the week about the low levels of fully vaccinated amongst the Rotunda's patients.

Surely a lot of expectant mothers/parents are younger than 35, so many would only just be fully vaccinated around now. Yet it was being played out in the media as vaccine hesitancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Anyone got any predictions for easing of restrictions in September? Say the first week? Anything meaningful? Not hearing much in the media yet it appear 85% or more will be full vaccinated by then.....I appreciate nobody has a clue for September but no harm in guessing....

Also when they say ‘adults’ I presume that means anyone 18 and above?? Like what about 78% of people over the age of 18 currently vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

By the end of August they will have "a plan" - so by end of September there might be a 1000 limit at sports events, and the dancing ban will be downgraded to permit line dancing (with a mask)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Adults" in the context of vaccines is 16 and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If I recall correctly, Bodhrandude is a musician, so has absolutely been affected by the restrictions, don’t don’t let that stop you. I think he might even be living in Galway, so maybe what he saw in Galway in April annoyed him as he felt it would just increase numbers so we’d be in a even longer lockdown. Give him a break, fgs. The manner in which some posters have gone after him is frankly bizarre.

People are entitled to change their mindset in this ever changing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Given the confusion between laws, guidelines and advice, I decided to read up on the actual laws that are still in place under the Health (Amendment) Act 2020.

It turns out that the frontline heroes in An Garda Síochána are still legally permitted to enter your home so long as they say that they suspect that you're having a 'social gathering' containing people from more than 2 households (sCiEnCe) and either issue hefty fines or arrest people, or both.

I trust that the majority of gards wouldn't be caught dead implementing such extreme and over-the-top measures. However, is it not utterly fvcked up that they very easily could if they wanted to? As in, the additional powers granted to gards are still in place, including "arrest without warrant".

When do these emergency powers expire?

Slippery slope, innit? For example (and I'm no fan of the man) remember when the gards arrested Paul Murphy in what looked like a political move to decapitate the water charges protests? Well now they've got even more legal backing to act similarly and get away with whatever they like, whenever they like, say, in the event that you have unacceptable political opinions, or if you have several mourners visit your house for soup and sandwiches after the funeral of a loved one for example.

But hey, If It SaVeS jUsT oNe LiFe....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,313 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There could be trouble with this new roadmap especially with NPHET recommending some ludicrous stuff and the government untimely rejecting it

Will members go on twitter and complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Problem is most people support these measures (or at least they did at the time) - all you have to do is give people a scapegoat to direct their ire towards, and they will give you ultimate power.. in the name of "protection".

"Who cares if the guards are raiding peoples houses without probable cause or a warrant, sure they might be gathering illegally and spreading covid!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is it wrong to ask that randomly using upper and lower case letters in a pathetic attempt at mockery be an immediate banable offence, irrespective of the individuals opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What ludicrous stuff has been recommended to come at the end of the month ? You've a habit of jumping the gun well before anything is discussed or announced.

The last press conference they had was actually very optimistic and a drastic change of tone, more than once it was mentioned about removing restrictions and advice to government on how to move on from this now.

Do people actually listen to what's said or just complain without listening ? There's been some god awful press conferences that have been car crashes but multiple times it was referenced advice to government on how to move on from this, that's what looks like will be coming shortly, yet here you predict trouble, magic 8 ball ?

Gardaí still can't enter a private residence without a warrant for a house party.

Did you read the original act and that was it or any of the amendments that followed ?

1) Gardai can't enter your home without warrant. They can talk to you at the door as much as they want and issue fines etc at the door but unless you invite them in they can't enter because of a house party

2) Arrest without warrant isn't a covid rule. "You may be arrested without a warrant when a Garda, with reasonable cause, suspects that an arrestable offence has been committed and that you are guilty of the offence (Section 4 of the Criminal Law Act 1997)"

3) The definition of social gatherings is now updated https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7894b-post-cabinet-statement-resilience-and-recovery-the-path-ahead/#family-and-social-gatherings

4) The SI lapses in November and can be extended for a maximum of one 3 month period from that date.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should suggest that in the "Trivial things that annoy you" thread.

I possibly read out-dated SIs. Whichever were linked from citizens information website.

Thanks for the additional links, I'm relieved by your confidence and I'll give them a read and see if my interpretation is similar.

It was reveled that they wanted to stay at 25 for weddings and from looking at that it would not inspire confidence they would recommend anything major

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'm sure your aware weddings are at 100 now and that's nothing to do with anything to be announced at the end of the month which is what you referenced.

Your reason for justification is from May... come on 2 months ago, really ? That was the only time NPHET gave advice on weddings, end of May when the whole indoor outdoor debate was being had, everything since then has been a gov decision . Did you watch the last press conference at all

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭poppers

Fair play credit to all involved. Only for the scaremongering RE Astrazenca back in apr we would probably be finished by now.

My mistake

Sometimes the media can be as confusing, I don't get to watch the press conferences most of the time but see the soundbites from them

Delighted for the wedding arrangements as my sister can finally have her wedding this September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Exactly

NPHET have themselves gone for a 3 week hiatus now

IF they had any appetite for a relaxation and to bring us in line with the rest of Europe they would have done it in time for the final Summer month.

I've a funny feeling any event that serves alcohol wont be granted permission to go ahead anytime soon

Advertisement