Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I would not be too optimistic as number of vaccinated people may not change much in grand scheme of things. Take Seychelles where 62% of people got 2 doses and 68% with one dose and yet they do have a spike in cases and reintroduced lockdown.
    But since so many people already had it we may be close to gaining immunity anyway. Half of the cases do not develop any symptoms so their immune system is most likely working good and able to handle virus with ease. We need to focus on how to protect vulnerable people if it is at all possible.

Did you actually read the detail on the Seychelles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They're not winding down. They're just reducing the time sink that are the briefings.

Eskimo, relax: They're not going away just yet and their remit remains intact.

Very "they haven't gone away, you know" ish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

How much do members of NPHET get paid? It might be in their interest to make sure they’re not disbanded. Though they’re probably fed up with the whole thing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Very "they haven't gone away, you know" ish. :)

That might have worked if they were supposed to be disbanded. But, unfortunately for the gag, there's not such claim - just wishful thinking and misreading by some posters.

Drexel_3 wrote: »
    Were the hospitals in Seychelles seeing increases or was it just case numbers ?? Was it random testing or people reporting with symptoms for tests ? Genuinely curious

Seychelles are using Sinopharm which, like we've seen with Chile, is a vaccine with 50-60% efficacy at best.

So if you let the virus run rampant, even if 50-60% of the population is vaccinated, will lead to an inevitable surge in cases.

This is made worse if you consider how the population may feel extra confident by the fact most have taken the vaccine. But efficacy matters.

The Sinopharm vaccine has proven to be a half-measure at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ficheall wrote: »
    People keep bringing up this "unelected" thing re NPHET. What do they want - a "Vote for your favourite epidemiologist" poll on thejournal.ie or something?

People (not you, BH) who you'd swear had only seen the words "mean", "exponential" and "outlier" on the back of a packet of crisps, would certainly make an informed and useful decision in choosing who should be responsible for the statistical modelling of the pandemic.

I don't think you can win, if politicians make decisions about areas they aren't experts in people come rushing out to point out they haven't a clue..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

How much do members of NPHET get paid? It might be in their interest to make sure they’re not disbanded. Though they’re probably fed up with the whole thing as well.

They get paid in their day jobs. Membership of NEPHET is part of that for most of them so answer is nothing AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

People keep bringing up this "unelected" thing re NPHET. What do they want - a "Vote for your favourite epidemiologist" poll on thejournal.ie or something?

People (not you, BH) who you'd swear had only seen the words "mean", "exponential" and "outlier" on the back of a packet of crisps, would certainly make an informed and useful decision in choosing who should be responsible for the statistical modelling of the pandemic.

The issue is probably how almost every single political decision in this country has been made by or largely influenced by these people, who have one single remit and are not accountable for our economy or various other issues (even other health issues). They were not elected to make decisions regarding the governance of this country, our politicians were - and our politicians allowed NPHET to take centre stage repeatedly. When our politicians tried to fight back, this played out in the media as NPHET decided they were effectively running the country.

An example of this:

Housing has once again re-emerged as the most topical subject in the country and NPHET directly impacted our housing crisis by deciding that construction needed to stop for 4 months. How many homes did we lose from that alone, at a time when we couldn't afford to lose a single one? In the thousands for sure. How many other countries had construction stopped for months at a time?

Considering the fact that virtually every other country in the world saw fit to allow construction to continue even under the harshest of restrictions, and considering the fact that we are in the worst housing crisis in the history of the state - it is abundantly clear that nothing else, only NPHET's will, was taken into account with that decision.

I imagine people will be very happy to see the back of them for reasons like the above. The fact that their members are publically embarrassing themselves, like Nolan on Twitter, is just further evidence that they are not the deities that RTE and the media have tried to prevent them as.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Advisers advise, government decides. Like many things about this pandemic, it needs to be constantly repeated - but for many failed to sink in.

People should actually be embarrassed by their ignorance really.

Resign Professor Nolan, resign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

crossman47 wrote: »
    They get paid in their day jobs. Membership of NEPHET is part of that for most of them so answer is nothing AFAIK.

Oh right, I thought there’s be some kind of remuneration. If that’s the case then, fair play to them for giving up so much of their time over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If there had been no NPHET, what would the alternative have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Advisers advise, government decides. Like many things about this pandemic, it needs to be constantly repeated - but for many failed to sink in.

People should actually be embarrassed by their ignorance really.

Its amazing that this keeps coming up... its almost like people consider their government to be ineffectual... something *they* perhaps should be embarrassed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Resign Professor Nolan, resign.

What did he do? Not do? I thought he has been quite reasonable throughout. Him, deGascun, and Glynn have been reasonable balanced. Not got everything right but I get the sense they are human.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

What did he do? Not do? I thought he has been quite reasonable throughout. Him, deGascun, and Glynn have been reasonable balanced. Not got everything right but I get the sense they are human.

High threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Aye, a genuinely positive development. The insanity of an unelected special interest group placed front and centre before the media, sheep hanging on their word. Cringe factor dialled up to eleven, "concerning trends" this and "the next few weeks are crucial" that. Prevailing air of gloom over proceedings, tormenting the nation. The day is near when they finally vacate the stage, good riddance to the lot of them. And the knives will be sharpened for MM & Donnelly, no more ducking and dodging. Ballot box will sort out those who prolong closures and deepen the public debt.

Away back to the Restrictions Thread. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If there had been no NPHET, what would the alternative have been?

Just do exactly what the rest of Europe does but be months slower doing it

Which is what nPHEt do

Might need to get a PR manager to update social media in the absence of nPHEt though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Just do exactly what the rest of Europe does but be months slower doing it

Which is what nPHEt do

Might need to get a PR manager to update social media in the absence of nPHEt though

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting a tweeting PR manager instead of NPHET?

If you review the Antigen Testing Question, you'll see exactly why Nolan should resign.

Apart from being the most boring speaker in human history, that isn't enough to request resignation. His rebellion against antigen testing is, however, a justifiable reason for this organism to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

If you review the Antigen Testing Question, you'll see exactly why Nolan should resign.

Apart from being the most boring speaker in human history, that isn't enough to request resignation. His rebellion against antigen testing is, however, a justifiable reason for this organism to resign.

He did great work for promoting antigen tests. Lidl have prob done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

namloc1980 wrote: »
    On a different note on the link about Longitude 2021 being cancelled this bit:

"[Longitude 2021] was due to be headlined by Kendrick Lamar, Tyler, The Creator, and Megan Thee Stallion."

I felt so old (and I'm not that old!) as I've never heard of these. :o

Kendrick Lamar has been around for 10 years. I'd say most of his fan base would be late 20's early 30's. He actually sounds like a rapper from the late 90's. If you even have a fleeting interest in hip hop, Good Kid Maad City is an absolute classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How many homes did we lose from that alone, at a time when we couldn't afford to lose a single one? In the thousands for sure.

Number of news dwellings built
    2019: 21,000
    2020: 20,584
    2021: 15,000-20,000 (forecast)

Ireland should be building around 35,000 every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Turtwig wrote: »
    Number of news dwellings built
    2019: 21,000
    2020: 20,584
    2021: 15,000-20,000 (forecast)

Ireland should be building around 35,000 every year.

In 2018 there was a 25% increase on 2017 dwellings built. In 2019 there was an increase of 18% on 2018 dwellings built. I think it's fair to say we'll have lost about 10,000 dwellings between 2020 and 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Klonker wrote: »
    In 2018 there was a 25% increase on 2017 dwellings built. In 2019 there was an increase of 18% on 2018 dwellings built. I think it's fair to say we'll have lost about 10,000 dwellings between 2020 and 2021.

That's not necessarily the case. The construction industry has run into a worker, land and capital shortage that would've likely weighed heavily on output growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone have the 8pm hospital numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. How long after each final vaccine dose are the different ones fully effective? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anyone have the 8pm hospital numbers?

110 (up from 106)
    34 (no change, no deaths) ICU

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/anti-maskers-ready-to-start-maskingto-protect-themselves-from-the-vaccinated
    Two wrongs...

This made me laugh so much. I hope we get a badge to wear after vaccination. I want them to stay away from me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Chuzzle7 wrote: »
    This made me laugh so much. I hope we get a badge to wear after vaccination. I want them to stay away from me as well.

You do get a badge actually. I was wondering what to do with it but now I have the answer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You seem to have misunderstood the subtely to this situation. There's no "rebellion" against Antigen testing, it's just not being recommended in certain instances. NPHET/Ireland are in no way alone on this.

Having a position on something that is scientifically and medically equivocal is not a reason to resign. Science wouldn't exist if that was a thing, as by its design the scientific method involves following a hypothesis contrary to the accepted wisdom (null hypothesis). It appears you're not too familiar with this, so it's surprising you'd have such a strong opinion on scientific matters.

Advertisement