Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It would be more helpful if NPHET focused on teaching people how to use the Antigen test instead of criticising Lidl for selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nolan's tweet was ill advised, at least how he phrased it, but Lidl's initial tweet was also quite stupid. But to think he should resign over that is plainly daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Arghus wrote: »
    Nolan's tweet was ill advised, at least how he phrased it, but Lidl's initial tweet was also quite stupid. But to think he should resign over that is plainly daft.

What was Lidl's intitial tweet? I saw the one about the sausages etc, but that tweet was a joke after Holohan had referenced the sausages and the barbeque no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

My understanding is Holohan made a negative comment at that weeks NPHET briefing re. the Antigen tests.

Lidls tweet was in reference to Holohans comment, worded similiarily.

Nolan then responded to Lidls tweet.

Whether you agree on his position with these tests, I dont think he should be getting into Twitter spats with a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I have nothing against NPHET.
    One day passes, then...
    The power got to Holohan and Nolan's heads.
    the terminal weight of their incessant negativity, cynicism, and general deflationary attitude.
    Resign Professor Nolan, resign.
    ...the most boring speaker in human history ... this organism...

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    My understanding is Holohan made a negative comment at that weeks NPHET briefing re. the Antigen tests.
    The negativity was moreso in relation to untrained people's administering and interpreting of the tests. He did say antigen tests had a role to play in the response to the pandemic.

Agreed on Nolan's tactlessness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ficheall wrote: »
    One day passes, then...
    Pot meet kettle...
    I don't think anything will be sufficient for eskimo until NPHET are ground up into salt for vinegary shoulderchips.
    That is pure gold :pac:

Quoted for ease of reference.

Pot meet kettle...
    I'm not sure I follow?

Are you looking for kudos for also being able to use the multiquote function?

Pot meet kettle...

Hypocrites have a blind spot called 'wilful ignorance'.

Hypocrites have a blind spot called 'wilful ignorance'.
    You'll be able to point out the hypocrisy then, I suppose?

• Advertisement

Ohio to give $1M away to 5 vaccinated adults, 5 full-ride college scholarships

https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/05/12/ohio-vax-million-covid-19-vaccinations-cash-college-scholarships/5059433001/

All these ridiculous incentives in the states to get people to take the vaccine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Pot meet kettle...

Not remotely the same. He just called out someone for beating the same drum day after day, and rightly so.

Nolan is learning fast that being an expert on medicine is not the same as moving into self promotion and ridicule using media. Now hes his own press agent with no filter, no editor and no sense..you see what youre seeing is a person being shown as stupid for making sweeping statements with dismissive tones..a brain fart and good enough for the condescending gombeen. Stick to your script and lane chief, leave the disinformation to rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Ohio to give $1M away to 5 vaccinated adults, 5 full-ride college scholarships

https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/05/12/ohio-vax-million-covid-19-vaccinations-cash-college-scholarships/5059433001/

All these ridiculous incentives in the states to get people to take the vaccine :(

Some who were going to get vaccinated in other areas probably will wait till there are incentives now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Paul Reid is back with the sports analogies. All is well.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Paul Reid is back with the sports analogies. All is well.

in the off chance that he's had a minor stroke, I will retract this remark.

Otherwise as far Reid is concerned.. never trust a man who both figuratively and literally speaks out of the side of his mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

One day passes, then...

I've nothing against NPHET as an organization supplying advice to Government. I don't agree with all their advice, but they have a right to exist.

That doesn't mean I can't underscore many of the core weaknesses of the organization - which are obvious to many.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    Nolan is learning fast that being an expert on medicine is not the same as moving into self promotion and ridicule using media. Now hes his own press agent with no filter, no editor and no sense..you see what youre seeing is a person being shown as stupid for making sweeping statements with dismissive tones..a brain fart and good enough for the condescending gombeen. Stick to your script and lane chief, leave the disinformation to rte.

Nolan's tweet was nothing short of unfiltered arrogance.

As I've said elsewhere, the constant focus and power of NPHET over the past year has cultivated precisely the kind of conceit and arrogance you'd expect; the kind that politicians all too regularly display.

Time for the rug to be pulled under NPHET and for Government to take a firm lead on the crisis. Now that almost 2,000,000 doses have been administered, it can't be that difficult to know what to do anyway.

I hope, tomorrow, that some journalist quotes the Harvard Professor - word for word - to Nolan and ask for his direct response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nothing against NPHET, but you don't like what they say, what they do, how they say it, how they do it and you're not fond of them as individuals and would prefer if they didn't appear in public. Aside from that - which is essentially everything - no problem.

This is so silly. Can you imagine the paroxysms of rage that would ensue if the body explicitly set up to oversee the response to the crisis never put themselves out in public and everything they had to say or recommend had to be mangled second hand by the likes of Donelley? I'm sure that would be really popular with everyone currently railing against them. Yeah right...

Let's just call that fantasy what it is: total horseshyte. People would be apoplectic if NPHET were advising the government and calling the shots, but also never appearing in public. Get real.

Like it or not, in the main, they've shown themselves to be better communicators and have a greater understanding of the fundamentals of what's going on throughout than our political class.When the chips are down I'll take Ronan Glynn's advice over Leo's or Donelley's. I'm glad they have a public profile, because otherwise we'd only have the government.

Having said that, I hope we see and hear less from them as the time passes and vaccinations continue to plough on, because that will mean normality is slowly asserting itself again. And I'm sure if you were to ask them themselves they'd be quite happy to revert back to semi obscurity once things are said and done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Like always, context is key. Lidl pushed a tweet promoting a BBQ along with their tests implying that you could take the test and if negative, carry on as if covid wasn't something to still consider. Go on have your BBQ with these tests, was essentially the message.

The real problem is one of human behaviour, if a rapid antigen test can't confirm with a high degree of certainty that you don't have it you still have to behave as if you do regardless of the result of the test. So while these tests do have a role to play, their utility is limited by their accuracy.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that as a result of lidls promotion, you have sick people using the tests instead of presenting for PCR tests. The worst of all, especially if they don't carry them out correctly.

Like always, context is key. Lidl pushed a tweet promoting a BBQ along with their tests implying that you could take the test and if negative, carry on as if covid wasn't something to still consider. Go on have your BBQ with these tests, was essentially the message.
    That was a tongue-in-cheek response to Tony giving the example of buying a bbq and sausages and a test, tbf. I doubt they would have pushed it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Simply businesses whom during the pandemic, showed an outright and distinct distain for the collective effort and people’s wellbeing be it through marketing, comments or deliberate actions of any kind etc... won’t see a red cent of my cash during my lifetime...

There is an airline I’m done flying with, a supermarket I’ll not be setting foot in... won’t make or break them but still ... not playing as a team when it mattered most and was needed most you be getting a red card...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The real problem is one of human behaviour, if a rapid antigen test can't confirm with a high degree of certainty that you don't have it you still have to behave as if you do regardless of the result of the test. So while these tests do have a role to play, their utility is limited by their accuracy.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that as a result of lidls promotion, you have sick people using the tests instead of presenting for PCR tests. The worst of all, especially if they don't carry them out correctly.

Context is absolutely key, like everything in this, it's just people taking opinions to either end of the extreme.

Absolutely nothing in this is perfect or absolute - test accuracy, government response, MHQ, etc., even vaccines. It's all a bunch of tools to help combat the pandemic, with the vaccines likely to end the actual pandemic status, as opposed to completely eliminating covid. The comment by Nolan was an interesting one, he's going off data in his remit to 'stop' covid, but it was a very unscientific tweet with 'snake oil' and of course it would rile people up.

When there is no absolute answer yet people want one, and NPHET are charged with managing/advising our response, there will of course be differences of opinions, mistakes, wrong calls, right calls, etc., but one thing is for sure it's a lot easier to sit back and criticise, I certainly do not envy NPHET members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

As a poster above has highlighted, Lidl's tweet was a tongue in cheek response to comments that Tony Holohan made. I think you already knew this though and intentionally ignored it to help make your point.

As to the rest of your post, I agree that we shouldn't use antigen tests right now anyway as a way of proving we don't have the virus but they can be used as a way of proven we do have the virus and then go for the PCR test if test positive. Can be used in workplaces where people can't work from home, it doesn't mean the social distancing aspects should be ignored. Explain to us how they should be used rather than saying we shouldnt use them as we'll take liberties on the back of a negative result. The public in general have been very compliant throughout this whole pandemic, I don't really see where all this mistrust comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Klonker wrote: »
    Explain to us how they should be used rather than saying we shouldnt use them as we'll take liberties on the back of a negative result. The public in general have been very compliant throughout this whole pandemic, I don't really see where all this mistrust comes from.
    You've hit the nail on the head I think. People are seeing these tests being used in other countries, and just hearing "no" isn't a sufficient answer. I don't see a problem with people using these tests before heading out to something where otherwise there wouldn't be a test (e.g. a family socially distanced barbecue), but I can see a problem if people are using it where they are symptomatic instead of getting a proper test.

The public health debate in the US is interesting as they are debating how quickly they can roll back restrictions, with an emphasis on doing it as quickly as possible. They recognise they will lose the public if they don't move fast to list restrictions as quickly as they have imposed them.

In fairness to NPHET I think many of them have recognised the same thing with the fairly abrupt change of mood music to talk about reopening, and also the recent letter encouraging people who are vaccinated to start living their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Klonker wrote: »

As a poster below has highlighted, Lidl's tweet was a tongue in cheek response to comments that Tony Holohan made. I think you already knew this though and intentionally ignored it to help make your point.

As to the rest of your post, I agree that we shouldn't use antigen tests right now anyway as a way of proving we don't have the virus but they can be used as a way of proven we do have the virus and then go for the PCR test if test positive. Can be used in workplaces where people can't work from home, it doesn't mean the social distancing aspects should be ignored. Explain to us how they should be used rather than saying we shouldnt use them as we'll take liberties on the back of a negative result. The public in general have been very compliant throughout this whole pandemic, I don't really see where all this mistrust comes from.
    I didn't know it when I saw lidls tweet first, and only learned of Holohans remarks later via this thread. Lidl didn't make a reference to give it context.

So don't make assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I didn't know it when I saw lidls tweet first, and only learned of Holohans remarks later via this thread. Lidl didn't make a reference to give it context.

So don't make assumptions.

Maybe listen to your own advice next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think people have vented their frustrations with this pandemic onto NPHET. Have they really been that bad throughout this? I don't think so. Nolan's tweet about Anti testing was ill advised however. In the whole they have been ok. As a previous poster has said the government and those with political power have shown themselves to be completely inept and out of touch with people in this country. No wonder the mental health of younger people in this country is at an all time low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement