Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lockdown to protect the testing centres!!!

There will also be a clappy event tonight in honor of the frontline testing heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Got myself 100 tests, great bargain, thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

eigrod wrote: »
    McConkey on Clare Byrne spreading panic about the Indian variant in the UK and how it is infecting vaccinated people. He is a disgrace. You can hear the excitement in his voice because he has a platform to spread his fear and she is barely challenging him either.

Yes even the bog standard one will infect the vaccinated too, he shouldn't be allowed on. I see on Sky News now that 4 people in the UK have died from the new Indian variant, they give no mention of age, underlying conditions or if they had previously been vaccinated, no doubt this will be bumped up in the news here today...
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-four-people-in-the-uk-have-died-with-new-indian-variant-while-risk-levels-remain-low-data-shows-12306192

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That says to me that they expect the trace & testing systems to be up sooner rather than later.

They initially decided to open them to all walk-ins, but then someone called out that they expect to have these systems up and running in a matter of hours, which would result in some chaos.

Walk-in testing, however haphazard, is better than no testing at all, so I can't see them just not doing any tests for a couple of days while they try to get back online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Interesting comment and in general he's right, usually we've been a few weeks behind whatever the CDC go with

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1393165572003749891?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interesting comment and in general he's right, usually we've been a few weeks behind whatever the CDC go with

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1393165572003749891?s=19

Yes we are near end game, they may hold until those in their 40's are all vaccinated. I can see US travel fully opened up for us in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

Has the north put restrictions on cross border travel? I had a booking up north for Monday and received a phone call today to cancelled due to no non essential cross border travel being permitted.

seamus wrote: »
    That says to me that they expect the trace & testing systems to be up sooner rather than later.

They initially decided to open them to all walk-ins, but then someone called out that they expect to have these systems up and running in a matter of hours, which would result in some chaos.

Walk-in testing, however haphazard, is better than no testing at all, so I can't see them just not doing any tests for a couple of days while they try to get back online.

Would have thought the same myself Seamus.

Latest:

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1393168512957521929?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

techdiver wrote: »
    Has the north put restrictions on cross border travel? I had a booking up north for Monday and received a phone call today to cancelled due to no non essential cross border travel being permitted.

Strange as thought there was no rule preventing travel on the Island at the moment that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Amirani wrote: »
    Agreed on the all the above.

Anthony O'Connor sums up a bit of the Mina nonsense here: https://twitter.com/Antcon7062/status/1392942440340930565?s=20

Certain segment of Irish people have decided that Mina is this guru who must be correct, likely because of the Cambridge tagline. I've a doctor friend who's also doing fellowship in Harvard and working in Brigham (same as Mina). They're one of the most impressive people I know, but they're not automatically right on everything health-related, nor would they claim to be.

Mina wading into some Twitter dialogue that he has less than half the story on is no better than Nolan's ill-judged Tweet.
    Oh is this attention seeker back from his latest saga of deleting his account?

'Blueshirts'. Yeah fantastic for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AdamD wrote: »
    Oh is this attention seeker back from his latest saga of deleting his account?

'Blueshirts'. Yeah fantastic for discussion.

He's like a quantised twitter account you're never sure if he's there or gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

Strange as thought there was no rule preventing travel on the Island at the moment that I'm aware of.

Got an email saying "based on N.I. Government advice, travel from the Republic should be for essential travel only".

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

techdiver wrote: »
    Got an email saying "based on N.I. Government advice, travel from the Republic should be for essential travel only".

Doesn't sound right. I'd be keeping an eye to see if your booking pops back up for double the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Seems they’re now concerned about the Indian variant in the UK. Lots of coverage on 4 deaths being linked to it today on BBC/Sky News

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Seems they’re now concerned about the Indian variant in the UK. Lots of coverage on 4 deaths being linked to it today on BBC/Sky News

General theme of the day is that it is much more transmissable, but that the vaccines work just as well, and it is not more dangerous. So the solutions are regional surge vaccinations and surge testing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

425 cases.

4 deaths (1 Jan, 1 Feb and 2 in May)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭boccy23

Is there any place where we can track the ever changing monthly death totals?

Prof Nolan, "The epidemiological situation is stable and we're seeing the strong effects of vaccination in terms of reducing the severity of disease."

Prof Nolan, "The epidemiological situation is stable and we're seeing the strong effects of vaccination in terms of reducing the severity of disease."

he's all business after his failed stint in public relations :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

boccy23 wrote: »
    Is there any place where we can track the ever changing monthly death totals?

I don't know, but daily death figures are charted here:

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/cases/

Thanks to Shane for the great work on that website, I would encourage everyone to buy him a coffee if you can.
    https://www.buymeacoffee.com/shanehastings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-within-common-travel-area

Current guidance for travel into and out of NI. Non-residential travel expected to start from 24th May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

All data via user NoobGaming on Reddit Ireland

Pity to see two people passing from it this month at this stage of the game
    Some information from @gavreilly here:

Mortalities

• 2 in May
    • 1 in February
    • 1 in January

Cases
    • Half are under 29
    • 78% are under 45
    • 4% are over-65s

Previous Fridays
    • 07/05: 434
    • 30/04: 545

5 day average
    418 (Last wk: 416)

7 day average

430 (Last wk: 436)

14 day incidence rate

127/100k (Last wk: 130)

Hospital Numbers (From the data hub)
    • In hospital: 111 (+2)
    • In ICU: 39 (+3)
    The Vaccination Numbers for Wednesday have not been released yet, here are the Tuesday numbers for the time being:

Vaccines Tuesday 11/05/21 (From @COVID19DataIE here)
    • At least one dose: 1,408,105 (+31,522)
    • Fully vaccinated: 515,358 (+8,911)
    • Total: 1,922,913 (+40,278)
    • 16+ with at least one dose: ~36%
    • 16+ fully vaccinated: ~13.2%
    Here is a graph showing the change in eligible population vaccinated over the past week

Vaccine types
    More Vaccination stats
    • Daily average (last 7 days): 38,150 (Last wk: 29,062)
    • 7 day total (rolling): 267,047 (Last wk: 203,432)
    • Doses administered per 100 people: 38.63 (+0.81)
    The Positivity numbers for have not been reported yet, so here are yesterday's numbers for the time being:

Positivity rate (From @COVID19DataIE here)
    • 478 positive swabs
    • 2.42% positivity
    • 19,728 tests
    • 7 day test positivity is 2.4%

Christ George Lee is unbelievable here. Getting himself worked up over testing & the HSE systems being down. Being explained to him twice now that tests are available and the advice still remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Christ George Lee is unbelievable here. Getting himself worked up over testing & the HSE systems being down. Being explained to him twice now that tests are available and the advice still remains the same.

Himself & McConkey are driving me mad. I honestly think George isn’t very bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Himself & McConkey are driving me mad. I honestly think George isn’t very bright.

Both are completely on a wind up. Very easy to spot their trolling

Staines is the one I think is genuinely not all there in the head

And O' Neil has a bizarre fascination with publicity, despite being a very wealthy man

I'll be happy to never see them ever again after this is over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

ShineOn7 wrote: »

And George Lee is the Science correspondent in RTE so his link to Health is very tentative. He seems to have bullied Fergal Bowers in to the background once the pandemic became the big story in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

ShineOn7 wrote: »

And O' Neil has a bizarre fascination with publicity, despite being a very wealthy man

I'll be happy to never see them ever again after this is over

The problem is that these guys on a “wind up” are type of people who organised and advised on the appropriate response to covid in Ireland.

And George Lee is the Science correspondent in RTE so his link to Health is very tentative. He seems to have bullied Fergal Bowers in to the background once the pandemic became the big story in town.

george has a political science degree which he could not even use to his benefit when he entered politics, the very field he trained in.

It's known well as the dismal science and his only gift to science now is his sharpened arithmetic which has come on whilst he stands excitedly with his body count abacus in one hand and a hanky in the other.

• Advertisement

Well, that's a relief. Nobody could possibly have known this.

Thank you, Professor Nolan.

In other, related matters -- did any "journalist" attending the briefing cross-examine Nolan on the antigen question?

Advertisement