Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That death total is for a week and as has been said many, many times they have no control over when people report it, save an upper limit of three months. We should reduce that anyway.

When exactly people report it isn’t relevant, or shouldn’t be. They can retrospectively apply the dates to the calendar. It’s not a very complex task, as it’s thankfully not a huge number of people.

There’s no reason why they can’t give accurate data.

Also whatever about the complexities of verification and certification, there’s no reason why the data cannot be reported by hospitals in a preliminary format for simple statistical analysis. The official registration can happen later and any amendments to data made retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not all who died would have died in a hospital

Even so, the reporting system is unfit for purpose. It’s a civil registration system for the public record, not a statistical tool for rapid analysis of an ongoing issue.

We should be able to report data much more quickly, without needing to wait for formal civil registration to occur. It’s only aggregate, non-personal data to react to situation. That is quite different to a personal, civil recording and certification by the registrar.

Three months is ludicrous for what is simple and necessary data.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The reporting system also causes issues when it comes to Wills. Its just far too slow

• Advertisement

They should be easing off on that testing now, its a monumental waste of money.

The virus is back in a nursing home today, all residents snd staff fully vaccinated, there is nothing else we can do now,its survival of the fittest from here on in.

we are going to have to accept a lot of deaths snd it will be a long wintet.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Boosters will be needed there and quickly I would say

It appears to me the spike protein targeted vaccines do stimulate immediate antibody production, reason why the boosters are a good idea, but they doesn't seem to stimulate the T and B cell production that are critical for long term immunity as all antibodies will wane after several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭brickster69

It is a bit pointless now. May of been a good idea to ramp it up to the max when everyone was watching those bodies being set on fire in India in March or when the UK was going out of control in May. Something like " here lads, maybe it might be worth keeping an eye on this just in case it comes here and we can catch it early "

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Are there any plans for those who received the Janssen one shot to get a booster I wonder? I'd actually take a second Janssen shot either.

I think us poor Janssen recipients are often forgotten about 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I presume the booster programme will be for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Will we be watching bodies being burned on fire here too, like in India before?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am pretty confident that when deaths are reported they include little details like when the death was pronounced...

Reporting that it was a covid death and not tagging on the time/date of death when you are at it would be staggeringly incompetent, to the point that it is far more likely that they do have those details but are choosing not to report them.

It’ll be at risk and in chronological order based on when you got the vaccine, I assume. There’s not much point in boosting it for 6 to 8 months. So those of us who got it in July and August are likely to be offered it in Jan - March, while you might see older and more vulnerable people being offered it as soon as it’s signed off.

You’ve a risk at the moment that the most vulnerable are going to see the immunity fade sooner because they were vaccinated first in the queue.

No, but would certainly be in a better situation. Possibly no restrictions at all now.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

That post isn’t even deserving of a response

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I see Boris' let it rip policy paid dividends.

If the young wont take the vaccine then open the bars & nightclubs, we'll vaccinate them the old fashioned way

"Around eight in 10 young adults in the UK are now likely to have Covid-19 antibodies, new figures suggest.

The estimates, which are for people aged 16 to 24, range from 80.4% in Northern Ireland to 85.6% in Scotland, with 83.9% for Wales and 85.4% for England.

The presence of coronavirus antibodies suggests someone has had the infection in the past or has been vaccinated."

It will be 95% once the colleges and Uni's are back next week 🤣🤣🤣

Then bring in a Rona beer at half price in the student bars and that will take care of the other 5%

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

I would have thought that there are differences in antibodies between vaccinated and virus acquired? I'd would assume you would have antibodies against the actual virus from infection whereas from a vaccine you would only have antibodies against the spike?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why are deaths far more lately in Northern Ireland, compared to Ireland. Is it that up North they mostly used Astra? And that it's not as good a vaccine.

No idea, but doubt it is the vaccines because they actually have used more Pfizer than AZ overall. Probably more to do with restrictions being eased far earlier you would of thought.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,189 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A nursing home in the midlands has gone into full lockdown after more than a dozen residents and staff tested positive for Covid-19. Laurel Lodge Nursing Home in Longford Town has prohibited all visitations for the foreseeable future after between "14 to 15 cases" of coronavirus were detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Isn't this expected to happen now with the delta variant ?

Is anybody actually needing hospital treatment , presumably all fully vaccinated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

As nauseating and depressing as he is I saw Fergal Bowers tweet that soon there may no longer be daily public announcements on cases. Nphet plan to move away from public daily statistics and more towards having it posted purely online for whoever wants access to see it. Please let that happen...

... Though knowing rte they'll still probably dig up cases and announce them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

When will the day come where you dont have to isolate or get tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I believe the CMO commented on that in his latest letter, but little more than a review may happen. As the cases and positivity rates are still high enough it'll probably run for a fair while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

If fully vaccinated and displaying no symptoms that is already the situation. I have covid (fully vaccinated) and none of my fully vaccinated close contacts need to isolate or get tested. They can choose to get tested but unless they are symptomatic they don't need to isolate or restrict their movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As one would expect/hope, the reporting of deaths is rarely a box-ticking exercise. There does have to be a formal assessment by someone qualified to determine the nature of a death. Which takes as much time as it takes. It's not just a civil statistical exercise, there's a public health element to it as well, tracking the prevalence of illnesses within populations and looking for anomalies that could be linked to environmental factors (or serial murderers!).

So we can't fast-track the actual reporting of deaths, but we could in theory have done what other countries did, and have doctors report any death where they're reasonably confident that someone died of covid or suspected covid. We can then circle back to correct the record from the official data later on.

But that brings the crazies back into the fold; You're reporting deaths from Covid with no certified backing. You'll be accused of scaremongering and fake data. Now, one might argue that we should just ignore the crazies, because they'll always find a reason to complain. But by basing your reports and response to a virus on (effectively) anecdotal reports of deaths, you provide more wiggle room for people to dismiss the seriousness of it.

In terms of the overall question - covid deaths are indeed reported back to the actual date of death. The HPSC brings out reports showing the number of deaths by the date of death rather than the date of reporting.

The death reporting has always got around this apparent gap by saying something like, "We have been notified today of X new deaths from covid", rather than, "There were X new deaths today from covid". Weasel words, but the media at least started asking "when did they die", a few months back.

Eventually it'll probably be for anyone who wants one. I don't expect them to be pushing boosters though outside of the 60+ group, healthcare workers and vulnerable.

Yep, this is absolutely expected. The vaccines at approval were never tested to see if they prevented infection. Nobody ever claimed that being vaccinated would stop you getting covid. The data which came out after showed a decent amount of protection from infection, but new data now indicates that this appears to wane over time. Protection against serious illness and death remains strong. The latter is the only reason we ever vaccinated people. Protection against infection was a bonus, but not the end goal.

Before vaccination, this story would have been carnage. There are up to 114 residents in the nursing home, and presumably a similar number of staff. Delta has an attack rate potentially up to 80%, which means an outbreak at this nursing home could easily have affected 50 residents. And being elderly/vulnerable, your CFR is up to 50%. Which means one outbreak leads to 25 dead residents in the space of two weeks.

Whereas now vaccinated you have a small outbreak, from which there might be a death or two if they're unlucky. That's the piece that people are missing when they panic about this stuff. It is prudent for a nursing home or a hospital to lock down, it's not an indication of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Following a guy on Twitter, purely so you can be outraged by what he tweets and then share that outrage, is peak internetting. Nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I would LOVE that...Even give it a break at weekend...Or even cut it down just to hospital cases...Anything really would be welcome..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Nice assumptions. That's peak pettiness. I don't follow him but I seen it quoted from someone I do follow. And it's welcome and not so infuriating news from him, which is why I'm sharing.

Advertisement