Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

rusty cole wrote: »
    Fear that's what it's about. terrible really but as many psychologists have said, when you remind people constantly of their own mortality, they are open to anything, even authoritarianism. Murals and paintings of dictators have been proven to dumb down independent thought and exchange of ideas.
    those are the views of a Nobel prize winner by the way, not a keypard warrior before some get ready to pounce.

Instead of huge Kim Jong murals, we have front page media photos, TV interviews even on our light entertainment shows, constantly reminding of us of our own mortality..if this all died in the morning, some will still wear masks and that's not muscle memory, that's conditioning.

There's alot of truth in the above. I would also add that in the 19th century and further back people the world over possessed much less fear around death and dying. People simply didn't fear death in the same way that we do in the 21st century. Any cursory glance at historical popular culture very much illustrates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Every two minutes!

Well I think most people would agree with about that, I mean if you're shop hopping, then why bother taking it off? but what I'm really talking about is people who drive to work or other journeys and automatically put on a mask in the car, even though they have no passengers.

This is the head scratcher for me, specially on a hot day when a face mask becomes uncomfortable very quickly in a car, so why do they wear them?

Looks like you'll just have to flag down some mask-bedecked drivers and inquire.
    This ask about the mask task could turn up some useful hitherto neglected sociopsychological facts -so don't forget to post your results here so the Boards theoreticians can do an in depth analysis of the findings .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Every two minutes!

Well I think most people would agree with about that, I mean if you're shop hopping, then why bother taking it off? but what I'm really talking about is people who drive to work or other journeys and automatically put on a mask in the car, even though they have no passengers.

This is the head scratcher for me, specially on a hot day when a face mask becomes uncomfortable very quickly in a car, so why do they wear them?

I am just wondering why someone in their own car going about their own business wearing a mask would bother you ?
    Why on earth would that bother you ? Its not like they are asking anyone else to wear one
    Maybe they are picking someone up around the corner , or have to pick up a parent to bring somewhere or many other reasons .
    I had one on recently chatting to my brother , hopped in the car and drove the whole way home before realising my mask was still on

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cant believe that this Indian variant is upto 50% more contagious than the UK/Kent variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am just wondering why someone in their own car going about their own business wearing a mask would bother you ?
    Why on earth would that bother you?

Doesn't bother me at all, not one jot, valid question though. If I was to get in the car now and head to Tesco would I put on my mask for the journey, no I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

alentejo wrote: »
    Cant believe that this Indian variant is upto 50% more contagious than the UK/Kent variant.

Life is fun in the 2020's isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/986433/13_May_2021_Risk_assessment_for_SARS-CoV-2_variant_VOC-21APR-02__B.1.617.2__20210513_v01.00.pdf

Here is the U.K. data that they’ve published on the Indian variant. They don’t actually know some crucial pieces of information as yet.
    1. B117 has run through the U.K. already so won’t be spreading as easily at this time due to some population immunity plus vaccination programme built up.
    2. Did the Indian variant spread more easily in India due to population demographics, behaviours and lack of a proper public health response.
    3. Crucially this link highlights that this variant is NOT as evasive against immune / vaccination response as B.1351.
    4. It also seems in graphs published at the U.K. press conference that vaccinated people are protected, and that those unvaccinated continue to spread it. Hence why they’re going to accelerate the vaccine programme in areas where the Indian variant is now prevalent.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0514/1221650-coronavirus-ronan-glynn/

It’s an interview for kids news, but Glynn is quite good here, as per usual compared to other figures. Shows a degree of empathy that other figures in the media around Covid just haven’t.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0514/1221650-coronavirus-ronan-glynn/

It’s an interview for kids news, but Glynn is quite good here, as per usual compared to other figures. Shows a degree of empathy that other figures in the media around Covid just haven’t.

Simon Harris was great with the kids too I must admit

Doesn't bother me at all, not one jot, valid question though. If I was to get in the car now and head to Tesco would I put on my mask for the journey, no I wouldn't.

And I might . So ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And the Uk variant was 70% more contagious than' regular' corona. It wont be long and it will be transmissible just by looking at someone from afar.

And I might. So ?

Enjoy wearing it.

But dare I say, there's no need to if you're alone in the car with no prospect of passengers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not "is", "could be".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Enjoy wearing it.

But dare I say, there's no need to if you're alone in the car with no prospect of passengers :)

I’m sure most people know that to be fair. I’ll often put on my mask in the house to go across the road to the shop. Sometimes throw it on before I get in the car if I’m going somewhere local too. I know it’s not necessary. I know plenty of people probably think im a raving looney. Couldn’t give less of a feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I’m sure most people know that to be fair. I’ll often put on my mask in the house to go across the road to the shop. Sometimes throw it on before I get in the car if I’m going somewhere local too. I know it’s not necessary. I know plenty of people probably think im a raving looney. Couldn’t give less of a feck.

If anyone says anything, just say "trust me, I'm a doctor" :pac:

Enjoy wearing it.

And I dare say we all know that .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Enjoy wearing it.

Thought I'd entered the Masks thread there...

Why does it bother you if I take a clean mask and put it on at home before driving to the shop and then taking it off when back home?
    It's handier, more hygienic and ensures I don't forget going into the shop.

What do you do? Take it out of the door pocket in the car, put it on outside the shop, take it off back at the car and throw it back in the door pocket or scrunch it up and put it in your pocket?

Do as you wish but just relax and accept everybody has their own reasons for doing what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Probably been answered already, but why do some people drive around in their cars wearing a mask?

Was listening to BBC news earlier as they talked to women who were instructed to wear masks while they were actually giving birth...

I wouldn't look for sense or reason when it comes to the hallowed face masks.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Thought I'd entered the Masks thread there...

Why does it bother you if I take a clean mask and put it on at home before driving to the shop and then taking it off when back home?
    It's handier, more hygienic and ensures I don't forget going into the shop.

What do you do? Take it out of the door pocket in the car, put it on outside the shop, take it off back at the car and throw it back in the door pocket or scrunch it up and put it in your pocket?

Do as you wish but just relax and accept everybody has their own reasons for doing what they do.

Doesn't bother me at all, see #1326.

Didn't stop you leaving it at that though, did it?

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

• Advertisement

You brought it up , no one else did . You asked why people wear masks in a car
    People answered you with possible reasons . But that wasn’t enough for you. You had to continue to dig and ridicule

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

425 cases
    202 are men with 223 are women
    78% are under 45 years of age
    4% are over 65
    The median age is 29 years old
    4 deaths (RIP)

You brought it up , no one else did . You asked why people wear masks in a car. People answered you with possible reasons . But that wasn’t enough for you. You had to continue to dig and ridicule

That's rediculous, I haven't ridiculed anybody, all I'm saying is we don't see many (lone drivers) wearing masks in cars, but when we do it just sparks off a question.....

Sorry if I've upset anybody's sensibilities.

Apologies.

Movin on . . .

That's rediculous, I haven't ridiculed anybody, all I'm saying is we don't see many (lone drivers) wearing masks in cars, but when we do it just sparks off a question.....

Sorry if I've upset anybody's sensibilities.

Apologies.

Movin on . . .

You couldn't make this stuff up. :D

Go over and asked in the dedicated Mask Thread. There are experts on the matter just waiting for your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alyssa Milano shows hair loss due to COVID19

https://evoke.ie/2020/08/11/showbiz/...ue-to-covid-19

I think she was telling the truth as someone also who has it I am experiencing hair loss, lots of shredding when brushing and combing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nphet-s-philip-nolan-says-criticism-of-his-snake-oil-tweet-is-fair-enough-1.4565635?mode=amp
    National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) official Prof Philip Nolan has admitted that describing the Lidl antigen test as “snake oil” was “not my finest moment in pandemic communication”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Arghus wrote: »

and you understand now that the tweet you had previously referred to as being the cause of things, was a joke response to Holohan rather than what you originally suggested?

I found his acknowledgement that it was “not my finest moment in pandemic communication”, undermined by a lengthy outline of why he was right anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

and you understand now that the tweet you had previously referred to as being the cause of things, was a joke response to Holohan rather than what you originally suggested?

All that I suggested was that it was stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Arghus wrote: »
    All that I suggested was that it was stupid.

meh, no! you said "Nolan's tweet was ill advised, at least how he phrased it, but Lidl's initial tweet was also quite stupid", which, like many others, implied that Lidl started off the whole sham, when in fact it was Holohan sneering down at Lidl that actually started it, resulting in Lidl having a laugh at his expense, and then Nolan jumping on the anti Lidl bandwagon.

Lidl's tweet, had it originated the issue, would have been stupid. But as a retort to Holohan's sneering, it was quite reasonable imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

meh, no! you said "Nolan's tweet was ill advised, at least how he phrased it, but Lidl's initial tweet was also quite stupid", which, like many others, implied that Lidl started off the whole sham, when in fact it was Holohan sneering down at Lidl that actually started it, resulting in Lidl having a laugh at his expense, and then Nolan jumping on the anti Lidl bandwagon.

Lidl's tweet, had it originated the issue, would have been stupid. But as a retort to Holohan's sneering, it was quite reasonable imo!

I don't believe Holohan mentioned Lidl in his original statement.
    The fact only Lidl went the Ryanair (jab and go) route and no other supermarket did, maybe he did mention Lidl by name?

Advertisement