Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

meh, no! you said "Nolan's tweet was ill advised, at least how he phrased it, but Lidl's initial tweet was also quite stupid", which, like many others, implied that Lidl started off the whole sham, when in fact it was Holohan sneering down at Lidl that actually started it, resulting in Lidl having a laugh at his expense, and then Nolan jumping on the anti Lidl bandwagon.

Lidl's tweet, had it originated the issue, would have been stupid. But as a retort to Holohan's sneering, it was quite reasonable imo!

Okay, I'll admit it. I didn't just say it was stupid, I said it was quite stupid.

You've got me bang to rights there mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Arghus wrote: »
    Okay, I'll admit it. I didn't just say it was stupid, I said it was quite stupid.

You've got me bang to rights there mate.

Well done. Clever answer go you! But you know you implied otherwise!

Like many others, you misunderstood the reason for Lidl's tweet, and thought it was the origin of the issue. That's fine. I'm not arguing with you, but to say their response to Holohan is "quite stupid" makes no sense.

Holohan said "Someone could go into the supermarket and buy a pound of sausages and charcoal for a BBQ, as well as a test".

To which Lidl responded, tongue in cheek, "Weekend Super Savers! Pick up a pound of sausages, charcoal for the BBQ and antigen tests for €31!".

You mightn't like their joke, but it was fair comment after the sneering they got from Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well done. Clever answer go you! But you know you implied otherwise!

I am aware and was aware that they were replying in a tongue in cheek fashion to Tony Holohan's remarks. I never misunderstood Lidl's reasons for their tweet. But yet I still found their tweet to be quite stupid. That is what I meant when I said it was quite stupid. I don't think his remarks were sneering in any way, he was just trying to outline a possible scenario, but something tells me we won't agree on that...

It's pretty clear cut. No need for implications or inferred meanings. And, to be fair, the origin of the issue is a supermarket selling antigen tests. Something tells me we won't agree on that either...

You can have the last word if you want.

Arghus wrote: »
    I am aware and was aware that they were replying in a tongue in cheek fashion to Tony Holohan's remarks. I never misunderstood Lidl's reasons for their tweet. But yet I still found their tweet to be quite stupid. That is what I meant when I said it was quite stupid.

It's pretty clear cut. No need for implications or inferred meanings.

Fair enough. I'll accept you at your word. You're a reasonable poster!

"not funny" might have been better! The reaction to their joke garnered a lot more positive feedback than Nolan's response anyway, we can agree on that!

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I don't believe Holohan mentioned Lidl in his original statement.
    The fact only Lidl went the Ryanair (jab and go) route and no other supermarket did, maybe he did mention Lidl by name?

Correct, don't think he specifically referenced Lidl. But he said "I'm very concerned about these tests. Supermarkets are free to sell what they sell, but it's what could happen. on the day that Lidl advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Correct, don't think he specifically referenced Lidl. But he said "I'm very concerned about these tests. Supermarkets are free to sell what they sell, but it's what could happen. on the day that Lidl advertised.

I think we can all acknowledge, the reasoning behind Holohan's statement. But Lidl were as bad as Ryanair with their reply. Completely uncalled for, I expect that from Ryanair (many people see through the drama they drum up) but from Lidl, I feel it was irresponsible. Nolan's tweet just added fuel to the fire.
    There's a valid reason for antigen testing and both sides have a point, unfortunately that was completely lost.

At least Lidl didn't do a special on Bleach after Trump's remarks so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I can't see International travel returning to normal for a good number of years until vaccines are distributed worldwide. More transmissible variants are becoming a problem. Delaying adding India to the Red list seems to be yet another example of the government acting too slowly. Hopefully the majority of the population are vaccinated before it becomes widespread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

wadacrack wrote: »
    I can't see International travel returning to normal for a good number of years until vaccines are distributed worldwide. More transmissible variants are becoming a problem. Delaying adding India to the Red list seems to be yet another example of the government acting too slowly. Hopefully the majority of the population are vaccinated before it becomes widespread here.

I think we'll have to make do with travel to EU countries and a few other designated safe zones, UK, USA Canada etc, for the rest of 2021, beyond that its anyone's guess. Long distance travel is a long way off yet without mhq's on either end imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

rusty cole wrote: »
    Fear that's what it's about. terrible really but as many psychologists have said, when you remind people constantly of their own mortality, they are open to anything, even authoritarianism. Murals and paintings of dictators have been proven to dumb down independent thought and exchange of ideas.
    those are the views of a Nobel prize winner by the way, not a keypard warrior before some get ready to pounce.

Instead of huge Kim Jong murals, we have front page media photos, TV interviews even on our light entertainment shows, constantly reminding of us of our own mortality..if this all died in the morning, some will still wear masks and that's not muscle memory, that's conditioning.

Finish this sentence, 'For the love of God, ..'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Junglejoe

Is it just me or is the picture confusing right now ?

The UK are concerned about the Indian variant

The US is ending mask wearing

I'm not quite sure what to think ATM ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Junglejoe wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the picture confusing right now ?

The UK are concerned about the Indian variant

The US is ending mask wearing

I'm not quite sure what to think ATM ?

Yeah a strange one . Considering vaccines work on the Indian variant the press conference from Boris seemed a bit OTT

Yeah a strange one . Considering vaccines work on the Indian variant the press conference from Boris seemed a bit OTT

Probably just Boris being Boris

Wasn't the HSE/NPHET doing similar putting out messaging designed to scare on a grand scale and slow down the spread

• Site Banned Posts: 21 greenfarm

The UK scientists have been ahead of the game for a while now and while we all laughed at them in December when they found a more transmissible variant that swept the globe we laughed it off as Brexit bluster from them

UK scientists are ahead of the US scientists again and the Indian variant must have vaccine resistance for them to scare the world.

Its headline news everywhere now, cant be for no reason

Honestly it feels like December right now and UK have warned the world once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm thinking the same. The number of cases of the Indian variant over there the last two weeks is equivalent to us having 50 cases last week and 100 this week. The panic over there seems excessive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

prunudo wrote: »
    I think we'll have to make do with travel to EU countries and a few other designated safe zones, UK, USA Canada etc, for the rest of 2021, beyond that its anyone's guess. Long distance travel is a long way off yet without mhq's on either end imo.
    This I think. We are seeing more transmissible variants, but so far the vaccines are performing well against them (and boosters will be available for vulnerable groups). I think travel between countries which are fully vaccinated will be fine, but you may see restrictions until countries reach those levels.

greenfarm wrote: »
    The UK scientists have been ahead of the game for a while now and while we all laughed at them in December when they found a more transmissible variant that swept the globe we laughed it off as Brexit bluster from them

UK scientists are ahead of the US scientists again and the Indian variant must have vaccine resistance for them to scare the world.

Honestly it feels like December right now and UK have warned the world once again.

Wasn't that the thinking all along though that the virus would mutate and become more transmissible

However at the same time it became less dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There's zero evidence that it's vaccine resistant.

Also the comparisons to December need to stop. It's like comparing apples and oranges and it's frankly ridiculous that it keeps being brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm thinking the same. The number of cases of the Indian variant over there the last two weeks is equivalent to us having 50 cases last week and 100 this week. The panic over there seems excessive to me.
    From what I can see the UK are going ahead with reopening irrespective, so the "panic" seems to be an effort to try and get people to voluntarily restrict movements rather than mandating it. The variant appears to possibly be more transmissible, and it's a bit of a race now to vaccinate as many people are possible before it gets a hold. This hopefully will be a short-term (but dangerous) problem for them and for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The issue is you still have people in their 20s and 30s unvaccinated with potential for them to become overwhelmed if variant is allowed to run wild.

• Advertisement

The issue is you still have people in their 20s and 30s unvaccinated with potential for them to become overwhelmed if variant is allowed to run wild.

More transmissible does not mean more dangerous.

And given that the more transmissible Kent variant did not hospitalize younger people (18-39) to a significant degree, I suspect the same is probably true for the Indian variant (which is a tweaked version of the Kent variant).

I think the risk should be taken seriously, but only for that reason - better safe than sorry.

In all likelihood, it is action "out of an abundance of caution", which will probably pose no significant risk at all given the current levels of vaccination throughout the population (plus existing acquired immunity).

Hmm well, where would we be without the UK next door to us leading the way

Pretty clueless here, at least we can copy them as usual

There's zero evidence that it's vaccine resistant.

Also the comparisons to December need to stop. It's like comparing apples and oranges and it's frankly ridiculous that it keeps being brought up.

Whitty basically confirmed AZ anyway looks like they are less effective against mild to moderate disease yesterday, while they should still be effective at preventing severe disease, he's worried.

That's Whitty own words, that's vaccine resistance in a nut shell for AZ, they still work brilliantly, just less brilliantly.

Instead of 95% efficacious, vaccines could be 75% efficacious using his wording against that vairant.

We will know more in a few weeks but it ain't looking good in my opinion, boosters will probably be needed faster than originally thought for AZ, he didn't metion mrna so presume they are still fine.

It rings like December for sure, Boris on the news flustered, people saying he's clueless, we will see

We having used Pfizer exclusively could be a massive plus for us, as they are making no npise about boosters, they seem confident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Junglejoe wrote:

Junglejoe wrote:

This is just lazy commentary

Aside from copying the UK which we always do

The other side of it as above is that the UK trying to be ahead of the curve would work to their disadvantage

We being behind can see their mistakes

Junglejoe wrote: »

Say what you want about UK, but scientifically they have some amazing minds and facilities in that country, that can't be denied

Ya whatever

Your reply reads as lazy too like

What's your counter point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Whitty basically confirmed AZ anyway looks like they are less effective against mild to moderate disease yesterday, while they should still be effective at preventing severe disease, he's worried.

That's Whitty own words, that's vaccine resistance in a nut shell for AZ, they still work brilliantly, just less brilliantly.

Instead of 95% efficacious, vaccines could be 75% efficacious using his wording against that vairant.

We will know more in a few weeks but it ain't looking good in my opinion, boosters will probably be needed faster than originally thought for AZ, he didn't metion mrna so presume they are still fine.

It rings like December for sure, Boris on the news flustered, people saying he's clueless, we will see

We having used Pfizer exclusively could be a massive plus for us, as they are making no npise about boosters, they seem confident

It appears from polish midea outlets, its people who have received there first shot of vaccination that it is less effective, those who are fully vaccinated it has the same efficiency .
    Seems to be a lot of top brass in Britain miss quoting the findings or putting there own twists on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Extremely accurate is how I would describe it.

Our genius advisers will dismiss the danger, then as numbers rise they will again blame partying or whatever term they invent this time.

They completely missed the increased transmissibility in December, and have again dismissed any risk this time.
    Utter incompetence

Every step of the way the medical “experts” here have completely messed up and failed to predict danger or variants.

“We are very concerned” indeed.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    It appears from polish midea outlets, its people who have received there first shot of vaccination that it is less effective, those who are fully vaccinated it has the same efficiency .
    Seems to be a lot of top brass in Britain miss quoting the findings or putting there own twists on it.

Yes that makes sense re first dose, hopefully its just that and more time is needed to get people fully vaccinated and that's why they are panicking.

Something is up anyway, UK scientists are no fools.

Advertisement