Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

greenfarm wrote: »
    Yes that makes sense re first dose, hopefully its just that and more time is needed to get people fully vaccinated and that's why they are panicking.

Something is up anyway, UK scientists are no fools.

Polish scientists carried out a full genome study of the Indian variant and carried out some sort of study on lab mice,they evacuated there ambassador and family and aides who were infected. there findings so far is it's transmission is prity much the same as the kent variant and minimal evidence of any reduction in vaccination efficiency.

Yes that makes sense re first dose, hopefully its just that and more time is needed to get people fully vaccinated and that's why they are panicking.

Something is up anyway, UK scientists are no fools.

Yes I agree with the statement that English scientists are some of the best, but at the moment glancing through English media too many contradictory statements been reported.
    For the kent variant, they all sang from the same song book,where as with the Indian variant they are all at odds with one another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Junglejoe wrote:
    What's your counter point ?

My point is that your comments are just a cliche at this stage. Easy to put out there. But when not backed up by any particular facts It s meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

ZX7R wrote: »
    Yes I agree with the statement that English scientists are some of the best, but at the moment glancing through English media too many contradictory statements been reported.
    For the kent variant, they all sang from the same song book,where as with the Indian variant they are all at odds with one another

Which would suggest they don't know yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So far it seems the Indian variant possesses the mutations for increased transmissibility but not vaccine evasion.

Should it have increased transmissibility vs the Kent variant, it makes reopening more difficult as more people need to be vaccinated to keep the R low

Should it be the same as or less than the Kent variant, we proceed as normal because that’s the baseline level we were assuming before.

Hard to believe it could be 50%+ more transmissible than B1.1.7. It’s quite likely the level of transmission is related to the environments it’s spreading in and mass introduction via travel recently.

We’ll wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Junglejoe

My point is that your comments are just a cliche at this stage. Easy to put out there. But when not backed up by any particular facts It s meaningless.

They're statements of fact

The UK is leading the way and we are just copying them and others

• Site Banned Posts: 21 greenfarm

marno21 wrote: »
    So far it seems the Indian variant possesses the mutations for increased transmissibility but not vaccine evasion.

Should it have increased transmissibility vs the Kent variant, it makes reopening more difficult as more people need to be vaccinated to keep the R low

Should it be the same as or less than the Kent variant, we proceed as normal because that’s the baseline level we were assuming before.

Hard to believe it could be 50%+ more transmissible than B1.1.7. It’s quite likely the level of transmission is related to the environments it’s spreading in and mass introduction via travel recently.

We’ll wait and see

All correct except, decreased effectiveness of vaccines to prevent mild to moderate disease was noted by Prof Whitty yesterday at press conference.

For 1st dose anyway, as another poster corrected me on.

It will be interesting what this leads to

Faster 2nd dose of AZ for UK's vulnerable?

All correct except, decreased effectiveness of vaccines to prevent mild to moderate disease was noted by Prof Whitty yesterday at press conference.

For 1st dose anyway, as another poster corrected me on.

It will be interesting what this leads to

Faster 2nd dose of AZ for UK's vulnerable?

I think the best country to look at re the Indian variant is Israel, of there confirmed cases 21 were imported.
    5 community transmission all have been found in the age group under 16 years of age. 4 fully vaccinated adults tested positive, importantly they were only tested due to been close contacts and never showed any signs of illness during the expected period for sickness to manifest.
    Phyisor representative in Israel states there vaccine is working against the Indian variant and contains no unknown mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ZX7R wrote: »
    I think the best country to look at re the Indian variant is Israel, of there confirmed cases 21 were imported.
    5 community transmission all have been found in the age group under 16 years of age. 4 fully vaccinated adults tested positive, importantly they were only tested due to been close contacts and never showed any signs of illness during the expected period for sickness to manifest.
    Phyisor representative in Israel states there vaccine is working against the Indian variant and contains no unknown mutations.

Have Israel had mandatory quarantine in the country for a few months?

wadacrack wrote: »
    Have Israel had mandatory quarantine in the country for a few months?

They only introduced mandatory quarantine for India two weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We'll have to just see I suppose. If it is outcompeting B1117, then it has to be slightly more transmissible, otherwise it just wouldn't take over.

What are the general R numbers for the mutations? We haven't heard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

No covid numbers today due to cyber attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

lukas8888 wrote: »
    No covid numbers today due to cyber attack.

It should be that way every week, numbers twice a week would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Good video on where we stand with the Indian variant

Vaccines are almost certainly less effective at reducing transmission of the Indian variant

The vaccines may be less effective against mild disease

but we don't think they're less effective against severe disease

all the evidence so far suggests there is no evidence of increased severity of illness or that the variant evades the vaccine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6oSJbBwbE

• Registered Users Posts: 45,627 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Numbers shouldn't be a thing in two months time hopefully. Don't be worrying about them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Given that a large number of slightly older candidates were given the AZ vaccine (no choice in MVCs), and still are, is the twelve week wait for dose no. 2 a bit far apart or what?

I understand the reasoning behind using AZ for over 60s due to the clotting issue, however it is the rather long interval between doses that concerns me a bit. Pfizer AFAIK is only a four week interval.

I do not claim to have any knowledge of how the vaccine intervals were decided upon, but just wondered why the disparity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Life is fun in the 2020's isn't it

Yup-let's see what we got --

Pandemic
    Ransomware threats multiplying
    Filthy Oceans
    Melting Glaciers
    Drought
    Robots taking over
    Food pumped full of chemicals and sugar-->Obesity
    China and Russia causing havoc
    US in a mess
    Overpopulation -->Migration pressures
    Conspiracy theories proliferating

A jolly jamboree of joy I think we can agree. :D

Carbman wrote: »
    Listen Chief. That post makes as much sense as most of your others.

Pure scutter

Very harsh, I regularly disagree with said poster but his post did not deserve your
    vitriolic response.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carbman wrote:
    Listen Chief. That post makes as much sense as most of your others.
    My name is not Chief. My post makes sense whether you like it or not.
    Carbman wrote:
    I have no manners
    Fix that last part for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Given that a large number of slightly older candidates were given the AZ vaccine (no choice in MVCs), and still are, is the twelve week wait for dose no. 2 a bit far apart or what?

I understand the reasoning behind using AZ for over 60s due to the clotting issue, however it is the rather long interval between doses that concerns me a bit. Pfizer AFAIK is only a four week interval.

I do not claim to have any knowledge of how the vaccine intervals were decided upon, but just wondered why the disparity.

16 weeks now

Carbman wrote: »
    Very well. Your opinion means nothing to me, Chief
    Classy,another new poster adding spectacular insight to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

16 weeks now

Either the first dose of AZ is super effective, or there aren't enough doses to go around for the second dose!

Seems quite a long time to wait to be fully vaccinated, if we ever get to the Green Passport stage at least. There must be a valid reason for the delay, but I sense that it is leading to a bit of crowing by those who got Pfizer, and who could blame them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Carbman don't post in this thread again seeing as all you're interested in doing is trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Where are people seeing that the 2nd dose of AZ is now 16 weeks ? I haven’t seen anything official about that .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Either the first dose of AZ is super effective, or there aren't enough doses to go around for the second dose!

Seems quite a long time to wait to be fully vaccinated, if we ever get to the Green Passport stage at least. There must be a valid reason for the delay, but I sense that it is leading to a bit of crowing by those who got Pfizer, and who could blame them.

The valid reason is the longer the space between doses the better the efficency as noted in trials

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Where are people seeing that the 2nd dose of AZ is now 16 weeks ? I haven’t seen anything official about that .

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity/

If you are aged 60 or over:

You should get your 2nd dose at least 12 weeks after your 1st dose.

If you are under 60 and at high-risk:

If you are under 60, you should get your 2nd dose at least 12 weeks after your 1st dose if you are at high risk of severe COVID-19 or very high risk of severe COVID-19

If you are under 60:
    If you are under 60 without a high-risk, or a very high-risk medical condition, you should wait until 16 weeks have passed to get your 2nd dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Great to see the number of serious cases in the vaccinated basically gone. Where I work it genuinely was a shocking scene in January. 2 wards recommissioned for Covid, a break out ICU full of dying covid patients.

Now there is one tiny ward with a handful of patients who aren't that sick at all.

Personally I find it amazing. I had the pfizer and I've been coughed and sneezed on a few times at this stage by confirmed positive patients and not as much as a tickle in my throat. God I hope it continues to work, and I have a feeling it will.

We don't regularly hear about the actual seriousness of the hospitalisations, that's good to hear - adds a bit more than just numbers hospitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »

We’ll wait and see

Hope so. I'd say 50% more transmissible is an overestimation. But I would GUESS that no matter how much more transmissible the Indian on is, even if its only a little bit, evolution will favour it to become the dominant strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity/

If you are aged 60 or over:

You should get your 2nd dose at least 12 weeks after your 1st dose.

If you are under 60 and at high-risk:

If you are under 60, you should get your 2nd dose at least 12 weeks after your 1st dose if you are at high risk of severe COVID-19 or very high risk of severe COVID-19

If you are under 60:
    If you are under 60 without a high-risk, or a very high-risk medical condition, you should wait until 16 weeks have passed to get your 2nd dose.

Thank you . So it will be mainly HCW’s who must wait 16 weeks so ?

Advertisement