Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Be right back

Taken from the journal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

1086 positive swabs, 7.16% positivity on 15,162 tests. 7 day test positivity is 5.5%. - Monday, September 27th 2021

So you test half the amount of people you get half the amount of positives.

Trump was right all along

Yes, i do actually.

Thats how I know how much they are getting paid in the vaccination centres, I know how many hours they work,thirteen hour shifts isnt unusual.

I know they are involved in swabbing work too though I havent been told how much they are paid for that.

The point is nurses are making a lot of extra money, one of the few groups in society in this happy situation.

They absolutely do not need extra money or extra annual leave.

They need to get a grip now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That would be 'some 'nurses , physios ,pharmacists etc .

Not all the nurses in the fvckin country ,and more likely than not, those who were mad busy working in Covid wards and ICU .

Your misinformation and begrudgery continues ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That is probably the end of the contact tracing for kids and the subsequent testing that followed that. They have accounted for 40% of cases recently.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying people shouldnt be paid for taking on extra work.

Twenty eight euros an hour is very good money, how much does a health care assistant who does the heavy lifting in the hospitals get per hour.

They are entitled to be paid for their work and their qualifications but they should not be demanding a bonus for the job they signed up to.

There will be thousands of people queuing up at the magic money tree and there will be no end to the money spent.

Meanwhile the family carers who had family members dropped back home at the start of the pandemic are earning buttons for the trojan work they do,these people had no respite at all for months on end and if anyone gets a bonus it should be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nurses ? I think you mean some nurses because it sure isnt all nurses

oddly enough I too know many nurses , most are absolutely exhausted from their shifts and can only do the hours they have to . Depends very much on where they work as you must know

Thats it exactly.

The hospital staff in the early months of the pandemic had very little to do.

The hospitals had emptied the beds and off loaded the elderly to nursing homes.

The nursing home staff did most of the trojan work and not many nurses volunteered to go and help them. We wont hear much about this now though.

Over half of the people who died of covid died in nursing homes, I think this is accurate.

Anyway I think its best to put it behind us now, no need for any bonus payments or any bank holidays or any commemorations,best to just look forward and move on with our lives, concentrate on the living and let the dead RIP.

I agree with every point you make there .

The fact that some can make money on overtime at this time does not take away from the trojan work and necessity for respite and more money for family carers.

I don't know if there is a personal issue there for you ,not my business , but it is not the fault of a workforce that has been driven very hard through the last year and seven months .

Good news is it's nearly over now .

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

"Do not address me again, ever"

LOL.

I was replying to somebody else then you butted in with your tuppence worth, nobody forced you to wade into the discussion.

The donning the green jersey is a coming from the media, as reported in the Irish Times below,not me.

There are concerns among Government officials that other groups of State employees including some civil servants and gardaí may also look for similar benefits. Workers at Dublin BusIrish Rail and Bus Éireann – part of the State-owned CIÉ group – who are represented by the National Bus and Rail Union have also sought 10 additional days leave for “donning the green jersey” and keeping buses and trains operational during the pandemic.

• Advertisement

Another inaccurate post lauding one group and knocking others .Completely untrue but it is too tiresome replying to these ridiculously inaccurate posts .

You addressed me and said I was talking about " donning the green Jersey . " You have only clarified where it came from after being called out on it .

Is that your strategy to lie about a poster and see if you can get away with it ? Seems pretty cowardly to me .

If you weren't trolling, why did you post as if that s what I had said ?

Disingenuous post implying that a poster said something they did not , in order to attack.

Yes that I think that is the definition of trolling alright .

Reported .

These threads make one realise the amount of pure head-the-balls in this country

I was replying to "Jim Hodge" and I used the term "donning the green jersey" in my reply to him and nobody else.

You then waded into somebody else's discussion where the term had already been used and now you decide, after the fact, that it was being attributed to you.

Indeed. Loads of people are making a killing out of this while others go around uttering "we are in this together" 20 times a day as if they are saying the rosary.

I think this shows that not only are you making comments that can be construed as " trolling" you're now behaving in a cowardly fashion trying to wriggle out of it .

Not worth another post in reply to this . Move on to someone else for a change .

Christ!

I was replying to somebody else, I used the term "donning the green jersey" a term that has been bandied about in the media as well recently. Clearly you missed it in both incidences.

How you have come to the conclusion its all about you is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would the world be like something from Mad Max if we didn't have vaccines ?

Reckon the towel eventually would of been thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

I have no idea how much a nurse earns, but as in all professions, you'll find good and bad. I can only go by my own experience, it's easy to criticise from the outside. I spent two weeks in hospital with pneumonia in the middle of all this madness. The only thing I would say is, the nurses and doctors on my ward, however much they were being paid, were not being paid enough, and I wouldn't begrudge them a penny of it.

It's not a job I could or would do, but I have the greatest respect for them. What they had to do went far above and beyond nursing, and they had some very challenging patients. Some people seem to think that the nurse is their personal servant, and the attitude I saw towards nurses from a couple of patients was embarrasing and demeaning. I couldn't have got better care and it's only when you are in hospital that you appreciate the care you're given, and the job that nurses do, no one could pay me enough!

The health service is a shambles, but in my opinion the blame for that lies with successive governments and bad management, take a look at what they are earning! Hopefully I won't end up in hospital again,but if I do, I know I'll be in good hands. I too criticised the hospitals, the waiting lists, clinics, people on trolleys, but I couldn't fault the care I was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This is a discussion board, so your comment holds regardless of what particular poster you're replying to.

But well done. Another discussion derailed.

And someone wondered recently why this thread had lost it's impetus?

I'll leave you to it.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Pandemic is over. You can get out from under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The polarisation of views on Covid has led to serious problems. Up until March 2020, I always thought Ireland was a reasonable place to live. No extreme polarised views such as those emerging in the U.K., US and parts of Europe.

I sincerely hope the behaviour of certain media ‘personalities’ & how on Earth ISAG got & continued to get open ended airtime to drive the rational debate as to the Covid threat off a cliff, is investigated in time. Coupled with that, the misery coming from NPHET press conferences was a hard watch along with the cheerleading by George Lee, even when trying to gain some basic facts.

Looking at international data, the Covid threat has declined hugely in countries with high vaccination rates of efficacious vaccines. There will still be breakthrough infections, tragedies and illness. But it’s continuing to remain manageable in the interim and ultimately, Covid is going nowhere. Winter will tell a tale too & Dec \ Jan which is traditionally Ireland’s peak winter illness season.

It seems NPHET and Ireland suddenly realised they’ve bills to pay & had lost all sense of reason in their Covid approach. I’m so relieved to see society reopened, children in schools, people out living. Families reunited & travel back to some degree once again. Many people seem angry & intolerant towards any future measures, how the pendulum swings.

Some people who bought into the endless negative ‘advice’ & Dr Tony’s famous worrymeter are now feeling betrayed re the contact tracing issue in schools, and the reopening of society at large. I’m delighted children’s education will get a fair chance this year, they’re far behind and there’s huge gaps in their learning after the last 18 months. I think people need to be reassured that they can live again. Elderly & Vulnerable can be offered boosters if needed. On boosters, certain pharmaceutical companies (Pfizer) undermined their own vaccines in the rush to launch them to wealthy countries en masse. An ethical question needs to be asked of this, any scientist would know antibodies will not remain forever post vaccine but our memory cells will do just fine. This could be an issue for vulnerable but looking at the news today, Pfizer are now launching a new ‘tablet’ Covid treatment which could ultimately be the way forward. Live and let live!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Goldengirl and @Nyero give the sniping back and forth a rest please. Put each other on ignore if you have to

Who's worrying about reopening of society at large ?

Noone here .

Again that is an untrue , exaggerated and distinctly unpleasant post !

But sure carry on , somebody might believe it .

I see RTÉ had something called "cocooned" on tonight. I assume its a sequel to last years epic blockbuster "Letters from lockdown"

Then Claire Byrne will give a section of her show tonight to talking about how great "cocooned" was.

I suppose these wasters will want their 10 days holidays for services to the nation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

She's now on the box talking to the people about their "little trips" away since lockdown was lifted. Why do people tall to the elderly like they are 2 year old children????

Now talking to a reporter who has been investigating the anti everything group that were involved with the now deceased Joe McCarron , Common Law Society .

I would think that is very much in the public interest .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Unfortunately there are some people I know who are finding it very hard to readjust back. They’re still terrified of Covid and it’s threat + are not behaving in a rational way at all.

Advertisement