Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So I wonder if we'll get an Electric Picnic announcement despite the Ploughing being cancelled, maybe an Irish lineup with a few UK acts in there too. Main Covid thread drops off and Electric Picnic thread picks up. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,627 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have to wonder what boogie man people are going to rail against next when NPHET are no longer front and centre for them to aim their psychosis at.

have to wonder what boogie man people are going to rail against next when NPHET are no longer front and centre for them to aim their psychosis at.

Stephen Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This is escalating pretty quickly. Its a race now between the Indian variant and vaccination.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1394308159523762179

This is escalating pretty quickly. Its a race now between the Indian variant and vaccination.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1394321477340647425

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,252 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

wadacrack wrote: »

Escalating?

Last Monday they had 2357 cases.

Take a look at the last 3 weeks of cases there, nothing erratic about the overall cases at all. Around the 2k mark consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's a drop in numbers!

Escalating?

Take a look at the last 3 weeks of cases there, nothing erratic about the overall cases at all. Around the 2k mark consistently

Apologies I put the wrong tweet in that comment.

Apologies I put the wrong tweet in that comment.

And the majority are in areas where there's a greater number of the population that have recently celebrated Eid.

Doesn't take much to figure out why these areas are seeing a rise

There was a poster (on the travel thread I think it was) who was recently in Blackburn and described perfectly what was going on

Provisional cases given the limited IT functionality

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1394322690379501568?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Escalating?

Escalating downwards

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The key thing is whether the doubling in cases of the Indian variant in the UK are occurring in vaccinated population?

A doubling of cases as reported is exponential growth and could have serious ramifications. Especially if they relax restrictions too soon. However it would have more serious long term consequences for any reopening if the vaccinated are getting affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This cyber attack business is dodgy, could they target the covid app or other important departments that could affect vaccination queues and information and welfare payments.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This cyber attack business is dodgy, could they target the covid app or other important departments that could affect PUP or welfare payments.

Yeah could do, could target any department really. Covid app though is highly unlikely.

All departments though as far as I'm aware are having all of their systems throughly checked for any trace of ransomeware

And the majority are in areas where there's a greater number of the population that have recently celebrated Eid.

Doesn't take much to figure out why these areas are seeing a rise

There was a poster (on the travel thread I think it was) who was recently in Blackburn and described perfectly what was going on

I would trust medical professionals opinion on what's going on rather than some anecdote from some random poster in Blackburn.

It does appear that the vaccine works quite well so hopefully this will speed up the rollout in problem area's

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This cyber attack business is dodgy, could they target the covid app or other important departments that could affect vaccination queues and information and welfare payments.
    I removed the covid app from my phone as a precaution.
    I'm supposed to give blood on Thursday, got a phonecall today to say it's unlikely to happen because of the cyber attack

I would trust medical professionals opinion on what's going on rather than some anecdote from some random poster in Blackburn.

It does appear that the vaccine works quite well so hopefully this will speed up the rollout in problem area's

Well to entertain you with more anecdote my own family in greater Manchester have seen it recently amongst certain communities. Large gatherings in houses, refusal to wear masks

Can't say I'm shocked at a rise in cases in these areas because of it. What's happening on the ground to contribute to these cases arising is just as important

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Provisional cases given the limited IT functionality

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1394322690379501568?s=19

So from Saturday to Sunday, ICU remained at 42 and 1 additional patient from 109-110.
    Pretty good for a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Turtwig wrote: »
    The key thing is whether the doubling in cases of the Indian variant in the UK are occurring in vaccinated population?

A doubling of cases as reported is exponential growth and could have serious ramifications. Especially if they relax restrictions too soon. However it would have more serious long term consequences for any reopening if the vaccinated are getting affected.

Before we start referring to exponential growth ,the number of tests carried out needs to be taken into account, they are carrying out mass testing in the hotspots, some context of other numbers needs to be taken into account .
    How many tests were taken for example

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So from Saturday to Sunday, ICU remained at 42 and 1 additional patient from 109-110.
    Pretty good for a weekend.

Yeah decent weekend. Hopefully back sub 100 this evening and then whenever we get that update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

A mate of mine works at a vax center in South Yorkshire and he said to me about 70% of people attending are Indian / Pakistani's and half of those looked over 60 to him. No reason to doubt him and not surprised to be honest.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

So , the original Covid was 10 times more transmissible than the Flu
    And then the British variant was 50% more transmissible than the original
    And now the Indian variant is 50% more transmissible than the British variant

Whats next ?

The super-mega-turbo virus stalks the globe. The 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse
    are hitched to the Intergalactic Death Wagon and imminent doom awaits us all.
    Repent ye ,for the end is surely nigh. :eek:

Well to entertain you with more anecdote my own family in greater Manchester have seen it recently amongst certain communities. Large gatherings in houses, refusal to wear masks

Can't say I'm shocked at a rise in cases in these areas because of it. What's happening on the ground to contribute to these cases arising is just as important

Yea that just illustrates the opening up is risky at the moment with this variant. Which is why I said it a race now between the vaccination program and this new variant which at the moment is doubling every 4 days.

Good video here on it by John Campbell. He obviously know far more than any of us on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaefMrez9XA

That's wrong. The UK had 1300 cases on the 8th May. That's a doubling time of around 8 days not 4.

Yea that just illustrates the opening up is risky at the moment with this variant. Which is why I said it a race now between the vaccination program and this new variant which at the moment is doubling every 4 days.

Good video here on it by John Campbell. He obviously know far more than any of us on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaefMrez9XA

He repeats what's readily available online. Watched one before and said never again. Woeful. Another covid celebrity.

Anyway I won't get into the nurses qualifications, it's been done to death previously so I'll leave it at that.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 greenfarm

I don't know about the rest of you people but I find it hilarious at this stage

The race to get jabbed is worse than the homestore & more adds " when it's gone, it's gone " that played non stop for years

It's all I've heard all day on the radio, get the jab, get the jab.

Best artificial demand marketing campaign I have ever seen, I had the jabs already and feel like queing up again lol over that variant :pac:

He repeats what's readily available online. Watched one before and said never again. Woeful. Another covid celebrity.

Anyway I won't get into the nurses qualifications, it's been done to death previously so I'll leave it at that.

That's all any of us do, he comprehends the information and makes it pretty accessible for alot of people. You played down the UK variant I remember.

That's all any of us do, he comprehends the information and makes it pretty accessible for alot of people. You played down the UK variant I remember.

I asked for more evidence before jumping to conclusions, same as the rest of the scientific community were asking for. Bit of a difference, would you prefer I go full on scaremongering before knowing all the information. Evidence changes constantly, therefore opinions will change.

We've done this dance before so probably best we leave it there instead of derailing the thread because our opinions differ widely and that's fine but I respect your opinion, can't say it's reciprocated I think.

Some people are going to seriously struggle to adjust to life again if they jump up and down at every variant before waiting for further studies

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 21 greenfarm

You played down the UK variant I remember.

In fairness NPHET and many others did too, Luke O'Neill has some embarrasing tweets when you look back on them on UK variant, not to worry he kept tweeting, citied early study after early study showing the variant not being anything serious and basically said people in UK were acting the eejits and not following lockdown like they should.

Advertisement