Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I asked for more evidence before jumping to conclusions. Bit of a difference, would you prefer I go full on scaremongering before knowing all the information.

We've done this dance before so probably best we leave it there because our opinions differ widely and that's fine but I respect your opinion, can't say it's reciprocated I think.

Its not scaremongering. I think its fair to say we have evidence that this variant is very transmissible and likely to cause another wave of some sort. The good news is the vaccine's are effective against it.

Yea that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Any county breakdown today?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Any county breakdown today?
    No county breakdowns until the hack is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was on shop street in Galway a short time ago, lots of people around but all being sensible. Nearly all the shops were open, buskers playing on the street.
    It was a really uplifting experience.

Good for you Eagle Eye!

553375.png

No offence Eagle :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Excellent thread on the B.1.617.2 variant by John Burn Murdoch of the FT.

Well worth a read.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1394359535754698755

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Do people actually get off posting this scare stuff that turns out to be nothing with one look at worldometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Do people actually get off posting this scare stuff that turns out to be nothing with one look at worldometer?

Funnily enough if you actually read it, it is saying the complete opposite. I mean, come on, it only takes a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its not scaremongering. I think its fair to say we have evidence that this variant is very transmissible and likely to cause another wave of some sort. The good news is the vaccine's are effective against it.

Yea that's fair enough.

I got told off a few weeks ago for raising concern about the Indian variant :confused:
    In fairness it was only a variant of interest at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

marno21 wrote: »
    Excellent thread on the B.1.617.2 variant by John Burn Murdoch of the FT.

Well worth a read.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1394359535754698755

Very interesting, thanks

So I wonder if we'll get an Electric Picnic announcement despite the Ploughing being cancelled, maybe an Irish lineup with a few UK acts in there too. Main Covid thread drops off and Electric Picnic thread picks up. :)

Have tickets still ..no refund !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »

At least you've got that option... have tickets for a gig in malahide since last year, pushed out to next year. At this stage I couldn't be too bothered going but they aren't even giving the option of a refund. Bloody pain

At least you've got that option... have tickets for a gig in malahide since last year, pushed out to next year. At this stage I couldn't be too bothered going but they aren't even giving the option of a refund. Bloody pain

Yeah , we have tickets for one in Trinity too and will probably be pushed out again to next Summer . They must have spent the money !
    We had forgotten until one of our lads was going on about Longitude and we are getting that refund soon , hopefully .
    He wanted to go to Belfast end of June but sure that was called off too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

Yeah , we have tickets for one in Trinity too and will probably be pushed out again to next Summer . They must have spent the money !
    I have tickets for Keane in Trinity from last year.
    It was bounced to July this year and now is at June Next year.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There has been interest this year in a mainly thoroughly Irish lineup, if mandatory hotel quarantine is still a thing for UK headline acts, but I believe there is a common travel agreement with the UK. Melvin Benn is interested in testing it, there is more than enough amazing Irish acts out there, speculation in the EP thread that U2 could be a possible headliner to help the festival stay afloat seeing that they did play Glastonbury a few years ago, so are open to festival performances especially after the lull of live gigs throughout the pandemic.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-2021-staging-a-covid-free-festival-is-possible-insuring-it-mightn-t-be-1.4564182

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

There has been interest this year in a mainly thoroughly Irish lineup, if mandatory hotel quarantine is still a thing for UK headline acts, but I believe there is a common travel agreement with the UK. Melvin Benn is interested in testing it, there is more than enough amazing Irish acts out there, speculation in the EP thread that U2 could be a possible headliner to help the festival stay afloat seeing that they did play Glastonbury a few years ago, so are open to festival performances especially after the lull of live gigs throughout the pandemic.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-2021-staging-a-covid-free-festival-is-possible-insuring-it-mightn-t-be-1.4564182

At this stage I don't mind if U2 were playing just want to go to a festival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No ploughing this year keep your social distance

• Registered Users Posts: 38,422 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hoping to go see Genesis in the 3Arena in September and this particular leg of the tour is Ireland and a number of UK dates (announced in March 2020 before Covid). Trying to remain hoepful it finally happens in September this year (rescheduled twice)

Elton John in December to but he's doing a whole European leg on his tour and quite possibly that could be rescheduled

Everyone has there own personal end to this and mine will truly be when I'm entering the doors of the 3Arena

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hoping to go see Genesis in the 3Arena in September and this particular leg of the tour is Ireland and a number of UK dates (announced in March 2020 before Covid). Trying to remain hoepful it finally happens in September this year (rescheduled twice)

Elton John in December to but he's doing a whole European leg on his tour and quite possibly that could be rescheduled

Everyone has there own personal end to this and mine will truly be when I'm entering the doors of the 3Arena

Have to agree with you there .
    When you can go into a crowd and sing and dance without worrying that is when it will be over... here's to that and hold that thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My moment when its all over will be when I go to the airport to pick up my daughter and my son and hug till we cant breathe anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Faugheen wrote: »
    I agree with everything you've said and, in the case of the last two sentences in particular, have been saying that until I was blue in the face.

It suits the government just fine to listen to NPHET when there's bad news to be delivered and point the finger at 'the public health advice'.

They lost a lot more than just cinemas and going to the shops. Long hours likely away from their families (in the case of Holohan and Glynn in particular), schools being shut impacting their children's learning both academically and socially etc.

The narrative that NPHET had 'nothing to lose' is bollocks and it deserves to be called out as bollocks. What the poster probably meant was they didn't lose their jobs but that's such a lazy argument. Loads of people kept their jobs during the pandemic.

No that's not what I meant at all.

NPHET exist to provide advice to government that minimises the health impact of the virus on the Irish population. Any advice they offer is solely through that lens and it is their only responsibility, if you were part of NPHET why would you offer anything but the most cautious and conservative advice? You wouldn't.

The only risk they face is from not being ultra conservative and cautious - Asymmetrical Risk. So no, it's not bollocks as you so elegantly tried to put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

At this stage I don't mind if U2 were playing just want to go to a festival :)

Think I'd prefer another year of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Think I'd prefer another year of lockdown.

I'd prefer listen to Jedward do a Drum and Bass performance for 5 hours straight while Twink recites the same Haiku's over and over, than have to experience yet another lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

greenfarm wrote: »
    In fairness NPHET and many others did too, Luke O'Neill has some embarrasing tweets when you look back on them on UK variant, not to worry he kept tweeting, citied early study after early study showing the variant not being anything serious and basically said people in UK were acting the eejits and not following lockdown like they should.
    Luke O’Neill is also the man who went on the Late Late Show early in the pandemic and told us there was nothing to worry about and we should just wash our hands. At the same time, Prof McConkey was saying we needed to stop flights, test and trace, quarantine etc to stop the spread and was being seen as overreacting by O’Neill and de Gascun. Hindsight very much shows that McConkey was spot on at the time, when we only had about 10 cases, or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Luke O’Neill is also the man who went on the Late Late Show early in the pandemic and told us there was nothing to worry about and we should just wash our hands. At the same time, Prof McConkey was saying we needed to stop flights, test and trace, quarantine etc to stop the spread and was being seen as overreacting by O’Neill and de Gascun. Hindsight very much shows that McConkey was spot on at the time, when we only had about 10 cases, or less.
    No point being "proven right" when the government of the day and NPHET itself are not going to take up that advice. The problem with McConkey et al is that they were never going to be involved in the things they claimed needed to be done and were by and large just talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

ICU numbers up by a third to 42.

Anyone shed light here, is it nothing to be concerned about?

ICU numbers up by a third to 42.

Anyone shed light here, is it nothing to be concerned about?

Roughly stable at 400 cases a day.

Over 2 million vaccinations to date.

Conclusion: there is nothing to be concerned about.

is_that_so wrote: »
    No point being "proven right" when the government of the day and NPHET itself are not going to take up that advice. The problem with McConkey et al is that they were never going to be involved in the things they claimed needed to be done and were by and large just talking heads.

Some might simply call them hurlers on the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

You should be able to request a refund through ticketmaster? I had kept my All Together Now tickets from 2020, but decided to get a refund earlier this year, even though it's not postponed (yet). No problem getting the money back at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread seems to be getting quieter and quieter, hopefully that's a good thing. Less news meaning more progress hopefully.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

So it's Luke O Neil and Professor McConkey is it?
    A little bit of Bias showing there no?

Advertisement