Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

With no other data available these days, it's back to looking at GP Covid Survey data for me:

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-05-18_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

All looks ok - gentle trend downwards by the looks of things.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

L. Hindsight very much shows that McConkey was spot on at the time, when we only had about 10 cases, or less.

No he wasnt spot on - he predicted 80,000 - 120000 deaths from covid.

There was no way we were going to get any where near these figures even with the country not locked down - Restrictions did not save 90 thousand people.

McConkey - the biggest doom monger of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ICU numbers up by a third to 42.

Anyone shed light here, is it nothing to be concerned about?
    Hard to say without the data around it.

Nothing much to worry about in the other indicators.

It could be down to some kind of change in hospital policy and individuals who would previously have been kept in a covid ward in order to keep ICU beds free have been moved into ICU to provide them with better care and remove covid from the general wards.

Or it could be longer-running cases in the general wards getting finally transferred into ICU.

The overall hospital numbers aren't increasing, which suggests something else driving the ICU numbers, not just overall admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Got my covid test done yesterday and since the morning getting text messages from HSEcovid with results of other people who might have been tested . Called the HSE HelpLine and they said it will take upto 24 hours to find out the mix up.
    Since the. I've received another message with test results of a 7 ye old girl.
    Does anyone know whom to contact ?
    Obviously there is a bad mix up somewhere in their system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So it's Luke O Neil and Professor McConkey is it?
    A little bit of Bias showing there no?

Actually, original poster referred to Luke O’Neill and I responded in kind, I couldn’t remember McConkey’s first name (still can’t) , that’s all.

In terms of general bias, I’ll admit I didn’t like Prof O’Neill’s patronizing advice that we were worrying about nothing and just needed to wash our hands. Even then, I had a feeling he was minimizing the potential for the pandemic to become a worldwide problem and felt that Prof McConkey’s tone was more urgent. Back then, there might have been a window of opportunity for Britain and Ireland to partner up like Australia/NZ to limit the spread, but I accept that’s not a runner now. I also accept it was a big ask and wouldn’t have been easily achievable.

• Advertisement

In terms of general bias, I’ll admit I didn’t like Prof O’Neill’s patronizing advice that we were worrying about nothing and just needed to wash our hands. Even then, I had a feeling he was minimizing the potential for the pandemic to become a worldwide problem and felt that Prof McConkey’s tone was more urgent.

Luke O'Neill is desperate to become the Brian Cox of immunology.

He's irritating; an intellectual hemorrhoid.

Ignore him. Forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I got told off a few weeks ago for raising concern about the Indian variant :confused:
    In fairness it was only a variant of interest at that stage.

I have a feeling this could come to the fore soon, didnt say much myself as I dont want to come across as a Debbie Downer all the time! ;) Been watching some different sources on it and it seems like it could potentially result in a Christmas like surge where we opened up at the exact wrong time with the UK variant. As somebody said, its now a race to get the most amount vaccinated before it potentially takes off.

The potential positive is that most of the most vulnerable have some sort of protection from the worst of it.

I had a discussion with my wife earlier. I am cautiously optimistic in many regards, but I think it unwise to presume its all plain sailing from here. At least until next summer I would be factoring in perhaps rolling lockdowns (of different degrees). Preferably more comparable with Australia (less severe) and with a significant amount of Immunity and protection from the worst effects, hopefully the next year will feel like a breeze in comparison to last year.

I am getting a few things done to the house (cause its nice), to also make it a bit more comfortable for winter in case there is some further disruptions. The biggest mistake any individual or organization or government could make is presume the graph of COVID interference will only reduce continually. I would also hope that our government , this time, has somebody working on contingency plans beyond opening and closing the entire country. To go back to the last 5 months would be a damning indictment of how little they have learned/prepared/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭PopTarts

galaxy12 wrote: »
    Got my covid test done yesterday and since the morning getting text messages from HSEcovid with results of other people who might have been tested .

My partner was tested yesterday morning and nothing yet. You probably have it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Luke O'Neill is desperate to become the Brian Cox of immunology.

He's irritating; an intellectual hemorrhoid.

Ignore him. Forever.

But he's cool and trendy

Can sing a tune now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,252 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Walk in testing available at all testing centres

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1394651737512845313?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Walk in testing available at all testing centres

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1394651737512845313?s=19

That could lead to a serious wait for a test if you have an outbreak in an area

That could lead to a serious wait for a test if you have an outbreak in an area

No not really, close contacts & those who are symptomatic take priority.

It's while the referral system isn't functioning correctly.

PopTarts wrote: »
    My partner was tested yesterday morning and nothing yet. You probably have it :D

:):)
    HSE sorted it out now and finally I have my own results (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

galaxy12 wrote: »
    :):)
    HSE sorted it out now and finally I have my own results (I think)

Dont keep us in suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

US2 wrote: »
    Zero deaths in texas yesterday, 2 months after all restrictions, including masks were ended. Here in Ireland were told we still have to mask and distance even if vaccinated

Masking and social distancing is effectively over in the whole US at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

US2 wrote: »
    Zero deaths in texas yesterday, 2 months after all restrictions, including masks were ended. Here in Ireland were told we still have to mask and distance even if vaccinated

Meaningless going on a single day's results. Their 7 day average for deaths is 44.

Too early to draw conclusions yet but it may indicate that vaccination is having the expected results. They have 74% with at least a single dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Masking and social distancing is effectively over in the whole US at this point.

Except it isn't.

The advice on not having to wear masks is for those who are fully vaccinated (except places where individual states dictate otherwise)

Currently about 37% of people are fully vaccinated in the US ...

If you're fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as in, you've gotten all your shots and waited two weeks), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday, you can mostly go ahead and stop wearing your mask and stop social distancing — inside and out.

"Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance," the CDC now says.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/05/14/996879305/confused-by-cdcs-latest-mask-guidance-heres-what-weve-learned

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Meaningless going on a single day's results. Their 7 day average for deaths is 44.

Too early to draw conclusions yet but it may indicate that vaccination is having the expected results. They have 74% with at least a single dose.

Pfft, facts schmacts, a single data point selected to paint a particular story is much more valid than the full data in context

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement

Dont keep us in suspense.

Tested negative. All the others also tested negative :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭corkie

358 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed
    this number of cases may change due to future data validation
    102 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 39 are in ICU

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1394684544566104070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

corkie wrote: »
    358 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed

I was thinking "That's the first two consecutive days without Covid mortalities I can remember. Great stuff"

And then I remembered the HSE cyber attack

George Lee will be buying lube next week if 20 mortalities are all reported at once

Previous Tuesdays
    • 11/05: 379
    • 04/05: 383

5 day average

389 (Last wk:423)

7 day average

407 (Last wk: 418)

14 day incidence rate

121/100k (Last wk: 129)

Hospital Numbers (From @roinnslainte here)
    • In hospital: 102 (−8)
    • In ICU: 39 (−3)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Strange that 30% of current hospital numbers are in ICU. Must be the highest percentage since this began. Maybe due to some patients requiring many weeks of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    George Lee will be buying lube next week if 20 mortalities are all reported at once

15 months in and this line is still being thrown about, give it a rest will ya.

15 months in and this line is still being thrown about, give it a rest will ya.

Jaysus

Sense of humour much?

George Lee and RTE have mentally terrorized many for over a year now

"15 months" alright. 15 months of scaremongering and trolling under the guise of "reporting"

So no, I'll never tire of mocking Lee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

wadacrack wrote: »
    Strange that 30% of current hospital numbers are in ICU. Must be the highest percentage since this began. Maybe due to some patients requiring many weeks of care.

Yes .
    Unfortunately.
    But new Covid admissions to ICU have all but stopped .
    Still some patients being admitted to hospital in the 40 to 60 age group of unvaccinated but in very small numbers thankfully .
    It's totally different picture , from a Covid pov anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Jaysus

Sense of humour much?

George Lee and RTE have mentally terrorized many for over a year now

"15 months" alright. 15 months of scaremongering and trolling under the guise of "reporting"

So no, I'll never tire of mocking Lee :)

Whatever about his style of reporting, its the vision that you painted there that is sooo unappealing :D
    And at teatime, too .

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Whatever about his style of reporting, its the vision that you painted there that is sooo unappealing :D
    And at teatime, too .

:pac:

Sorry GG

(Hopefully you aren't having sausages)

Advertisement