Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I was thinking "That's the first two consecutive days without Covid mortalities I can remember. Great stuff"

And then I remembered the HSE cyber attack

George Lee will be buying lube next week if 20 mortalities are all reported at once
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

galaxy12 wrote: »
    :):)
    HSE sorted it out now and finally I have my own results (I think)

Did you have to do anything, or did HSE manage to fix it on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Polar101 wrote: »
    Did you have to do anything, or did HSE manage to fix it on their own?

I did send an email to them via the HSE Twitter handle and called them twice explaining the test results of others I was getting and eventually got my own .

response was ..As the system its causing some problems with results I would contact the helpline again and explain you are still getting messages about this. they will be able to look into this for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hellrazer wrote: »
    No he wasnt spot on - he predicted 80,000 - 120000 deaths from covid.

There was no way we were going to get any where near these figures even with the country not locked down - Restrictions did not save 90 thousand people.

McConkey - the biggest doom monger of them all.

McConkey has for sure said some inconsistent things throughout, but he was referencing those kind of figures in terms of a possible worst case scenario, not that it was a certainty that those kind of figures were to be expected. He never said we are definitely going to have 80,000 deaths or more, he was making an assumption about the worst possible outcome.

It amazes me that so many people thanked your post, without really thinking about it. I guess if you just put the combination of "McConkey" and "doom" close together it'll get the thanks, even if the sentiments expressed aren't accurate or logical.

If someone asks you what is the worst possible outcome of a given situation, you outlining that isn't the same as saying you think it definitely will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    McConkey has for sure said some inconsistent things throughout, but he was referencing those kind of figures in terms of a possible worst case scenario, not that it was a certainty that those kind of figures were to be expected. He never said we are definitely going to have 80,000 deaths or more, he was making an assumption about the worst possible outcome.

It amazes me that so many people thanked your post, without really thinking about it. I guess if you just put the combination of "McConkey" and "doom" close together it'll get the thanks, even if the sentiments expressed aren't accurate or logical.

If someone asks you what is the worst possible outcome of a given situation, you outlining that isn't the same as saying you think it definitely will happen.

Yes, was amazed at the amount of people thanking this when it was clearly just anti McConkey. Must be a groundswell of dislike there for the man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes, was amazed at the amount of people thanking this when it was clearly just anti McConkey. Must be a groundswell of dislike there for the man

Well Samuel certainly enjoyed the limelight.his predictions were off the wall and sorry but he’s been wildly wrong before with his predictions for the sars virus in 08/09.plus some of his advice last yr on how people would avoid getting the thing were for the birds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I take what McConkey says with a pinch of salt as well: not outright dismissal, but a bit of scepticism. He was wrong on a few things of course, he's far from infallible.

But that old chestnut about him saying we'll definitely have 80,000 or more deaths is just plain false and it's always repeated ad nauseum like a trump card and gets oodles of thanks each time. And it's not true. I wonder how people can just thank and repeat that over and over again. Possible worst case scenario speculation, at a time when so little was known about the virus, not a cast iron certainty. There's a difference guys!

There are other things to call McConkey's credibility into question: for instance his disbelief that a vaccine was on the cards for ages, if at all, pretty damning tbf - but that old likely death figures charge is bogus. It just hurts my brain seeing that over and over again.

But, fck it saying this won't make any difference really. People just want to thank things they agree with, facts aren't important.

I take what McConkey says with a pinch of salt as well: not outrig6ht dismissal, but a bit of scepticism. He was wrong on a few things of course, he's far from infallible.

But that old chestnut about him saying we'll definitely have 80,000 or more deaths is just plain false and it's always repeated ad nauseum like a trump card and gets oodles of thanks each time. And it's not true. I wonder how people can just thank and repeat that over and over again. Possible worst case scenario speculation, at a time when so little was known about the virus, not a cast iron certainty. There's a difference guys!

There are other things to call McConkey's credibility into question: for instance his disbelief that a vaccine was on the cards for ages, if at all, pretty damning tbf - but that old likely death figures charge is bogus. It just hurts my brain seeing that over and over again.

But, fck it saying this won't make any difference really. People just want to thank things they agree with, facts aren't important.

Won't thank your post so ;)
    But I agree with it .
    So much as changed and moved on in the last year , don't think any one commentator or " expert " has been 100% right, on all sides .
    People tend to only remember the negatives that augment their own particular beliefs .

Hellrazer wrote: »
    No he wasnt spot on - he predicted 80,000 - 120000 deaths from covid.

There was no way we were going to get any where near these figures even with the country not locked down - Restrictions did not save 90 thousand people.

McConkey - the biggest doom monger of them all.

It is rather absurd that McConkey has persisted in the limelight this long, considering how wide of the mark he was last year. Forecasting deaths in six figures was reckless and irresponsible, exploiting an element of uncertainty to push himself towards the limelight. People understandably have grown wearied of his resolutely negative outlook, with the vaccination program proving a resounding success McConkey comes across as shrill to the point of desperation on national radio. In other words, the jig is up and the general public aren't beholden to an incoherent fear narrative anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Let's not forget that McConkey has been on the radio the last few months saying the vaccines don't work against the variants, despite there being zero evidence to back that up.

He's the definition of an attention seeking doom merchant. Roll on the day when he disappears back into obscurity where he belongs.

• Advertisement

Let's not forget that McConkey has been on the radio the last few months saying the vaccines don't work against the variants, despite there being zero evidence to back that up.

He's the definition of an attention seeking doom merchant. Roll on the day when he disappears back into obscurity where he belongs.

Don't think he is , anymore than any of them supplementing their already very large salaries by going on tv shows and radio.
    He is just saying what he believes and it is his educated opinion, whether we agree or like it , or not . That is why they keep paying him and others to talk.
    Luke O'Neill the same .
    Both have come out with some batsxxx stuff this last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I ignore them all with the exception of Kingston Mills. Balanced contributor.

Plus.....totally qualified to contribute:

Kingston Mills is Professor of Experimental Immunology, School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Trinity College Dublin (TCD). He is Head of The Centre for the Study of Immunology at Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute and Theme Champion for Immunology, Inflammation and Infection at TCD.

Azatadine wrote: »
    I ignore them all with the exception of Kingston Mills. Balanced contributor.

Yeah he's good and yet man EoinLavelle fromTrinity .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Yeah he's good and yet man EoinLavelle fromTrinity .

What a truly bonkers time we're living through when we all know every immunologist/virologist in the country. While we're at it I'll throw Paul Moynagh from Maynooth in the ring as being a good contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Have not heard much from Tomas Ryan for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Don't think he is , anymore than any of them supplementing their already very large salaries by going on tv shows and radio.
    He is just saying what he believes and it is his educated opinion, whether we agree or like it , or not . That is why they keep paying him and others to talk.
    Luke O'Neill the same .
    Both have come out with some batsxxx stuff this last year .

What he believes and his educated opinion has always been on the extreme end of worst case extrapolations.

The issue I have is that it appears to be ok to wildly overestimate impacts, that gets a free pass. We’ve seen it repeatedly with the four horsemen of ISAG. If you underestimate you are thrown to the wolves.

This is how McConkey framed swine flu in 2009:

‘‘Even if you erred on the side of caution and estimated that one million people got it, and that one in every 1,000 of those people were to die, it is like four jets going down in Dublin airport.”

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ireland-braces-for-1-million-cases-of-swine-fle-51861752-237652931

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McConkey and all the rest are the same as the celebrity economists we had back in 2009 about the economy. Back then too they had lots to say but no means nor inclination to do things. It's not that he or the others are right or wrong, it's that they don't know when to avoid microphones. It's not entirely their fault as they are on speed dial for media outlets but they have indulged in all manner of guesswork and added a dollop of whatever their own agenda is. Some of those claims have been quite alarming and they really don't have the PR skills to walk them back. Publicity of this nature is a boon for anyone with an opinion to share but people also have the right to challenge or even pour scorn on those opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

In 2009, I was told by an eminent doctor that 1 in 250 people in Ireland would die of swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

While India struggles with Covid and the Israel and Palestine conflict, we seem to be more concerned with a 99 flake shortage. Its a premium article now on the Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In 2009, I was told by an eminent doctor that 1 in 250 people in Ireland would die of swine flu.

I hope he referred to you by your title! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think the lack of daily swabs numbers, detailed case number breakdowns, hospital status report etc... Has almost killed off this thread?

Personally, I have not given covid much thought since the HSE hack and no longer being bombarded with stats... It is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

What he believes and his educated opinion has always been on the extreme end of worst case extrapolations.

The issue I have is that it appears to be ok to wildly overestimate impacts, that gets a free pass. We’ve seen it repeatedly with the four horsemen of ISAG. If you underestimate you are thrown to the wolves.

This is how McConkey framed swine flu in 2009:

‘‘Even if you erred on the side of caution and estimated that one million people got it, and that one in every 1,000 of those people were to die, it is like four jets going down in Dublin airport.”

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ireland-braces-for-1-million-cases-of-swine-fle-51861752-237652931

McConkey is a complete spoofer, 17 people died from swine flu in Ireland. Zero credibility and not just recently, he has demonstrated it consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

wadacrack wrote: »
    While India struggles with Covid and the Israel and Palestine conflict, we seem to be more concerned with a 99 flake shortage. Its a premium article now on the Independent

The indo is an absolute rag to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The indo is an absolute rag to be fair

And it was covered by The Irish Times, Examiner, RTE, Newstalk and others. I've no gra for the Indo but they were not unique on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You can cover other items of news. The world just doesn't stop spinning as normal if there's covid or trouble Palestine. It's nice for there to b some variety in the news stories and some local stuff.

The indo is a crapfest no matter what they cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And it was covered by The Irish Times, Examiner, RTE, Newstalk and others. I've no gra for the Indo but they were not unique on that one.

Good point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I for one am gutted by the news! Heard a story over the weekend about someone who was refused a flake! Dark forces at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I take what McConkey says with a pinch of salt as well: not outright dismissal, but a bit of scepticism. He was wrong on a few things of course, he's far from infallible.

At the end of November on Claire Byrne Live he cast doubt that the vaccines would be effective on the elderly and said they wouldn't have been part of the trials. This was at a stage when we knew a good amount about the trials and that the elderly had indeed been part of them and the vaccine was effective. The only question is whether he was deliberately misleading people (maybe to stop people from acting like the pandemic was over) or if he just didn't bother reading up. Either way it would lead me to not really put much value in what he's saying.

https://www.thejournal.ie/factfind-vaccine-trial-age-efficacy-older-people-5286119-Dec2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The indo are right, and what's more we need more detail, ie.

what are the hold ups,
    what is the delivery schedules for flakes over the next few months,
    who get prioritised for deliveries of flakes when they do come,
    do you need to register to express an interest in receiving flakes,
    how are other countries doing, do they have more flakes than us,
    are there other flake manufacturers coming on board soon?

We need to know such info, and we need it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The indo are right, and what's more we need more detail, ie.

what are the hold ups,
    what is the delivery schedules for flakes over the next few months,
    who get prioritised for deliveries of flakes when they do come,
    do you need to register to express an interest in receiving flakes,
    how are other countries doing, do they have more flakes than us,
    are there other flake manufacturers coming on board soon?

We need to know such info, and we need it now.

I've heard insinuations that people will be offered twirls if they can't be offered flakes.

Advertisement