Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

People in work look on the vaccine in a strange way ...they think I have done my bit , now open up , get back to normal ...to be fair this narrative was pushed during the summer ...the responsibilities don't stop with the two jabs ...personal responsibility and basic precautions are still needed ...today I witnessed vaccinated people back from drinking foreign holidays looking down their noses at a hand full of unvaccinated people ...

Th vaccine cert is a classic case of problem, reaction, solution. That person's comments about the unvaccinated is a classic case of divide and conquer. It's so easy for them. The majority keep falling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh you edited your post there too I see .

Yeah have explained why in my opinion it wasn't safe then but is now .

Irish Covid ..same as everybody else except we have our' let it rip 'now among those unvaccinated in the last week , ten days , but with more people protected now than others had during the summer.

Let's calm down here and see how this plays out .

Busy in hospitals but not crisis point yet ....

Extend the jabs to the over 60s and high risk , quickly and we might be halving these numbers in 3 to 4 weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Yeah outdoor stadiums it wouldn't really be necessary. Id agree it's a good middle ground.

I don't think current hospitalisation trends will be sustainable going forward but nor will restricitons on people's lives. Enforce the certs more widely and ridgidly, antigen dest more widely and if possible improve and concentrate on ventilation whilst removing restrictions. Then hopefully over time phase all these away too but who knows how endemicity of the virus will play out. And please end the depressing numbers announcement every day. Its like the angelus bells in this country.

Why could Denmark, with fewer people vaccinated at the time, drop all the restrictions, including those vaccine passports and masks? Are the vaccines different in Ireland? Is the science different in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

On the hospitals just looking at the 8pm HSE report 408 & 70 in ICU

So hospitals up 18 on last night. UHL alone accounts for 13 of those cases from 34 last night to 47 tonight. Everywhere else is pretty similar to last night

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

The capability of the health system is different in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Presumably because they have a health system that is fit for purpose . Not one buckling at every single joint and completely unfit for its population .That is the whole problem here , a health system that cant manage the numbers while other countries can

Yes agree . Those upset about the right to personal choice of those who don't want to take a vaccine , were the same who were banging on about businesses and hospitality being closed fir so long .

Now those same pubs and nightclubs are calling for the Covid certs to be continued so they can open up as planned .

And they should be opening up .

I'm gonna bite on this one. We should remove restricitons and probably even a month ago. But Denmark and Ireland are different in terms of incidence rates, hospitalisation numbers and health care capacity. We definitely erred on the over cautious side which has frustratingly been the case the whole pandemic but Denmark removed restrictions not too long ago relative to what we are aiming for, and in a much better epidemiological position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There doesn't seem to be any urgency in rolling out boosters. They've done a total of 9k since they rolled them out averaging ~1k a day.

Over the same period the age specific incidence rate in 85+ has nearly doubled and soon will pass the 18-24 group. Considering the 75+ are making up about 30% of hospital admissions, maybe the government/niac were too slow rolling them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do we really think NPHET's head man will reopen pubs fully & nightclubs Friday night week if there is a chance to delay it?

Like I said to you about EP last July, Ill eat my hat if nightclubs get the green light for Friday week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most people are vaccinated! What is the actual value of "rigidly" enforcing the cert?

Tbh I really don't think everyone else will be given that option, not for a long time yet .

Where did people hear that that was even being discussed ?

NIAC are examining the evidence for high risk individuals and over 60s , for a bit too long now if you ask me!

But even before this 'knife-edge' talk the plan wasn't full normality. It was 'apart from masks in certain settings'. As Dr Frost wrote on another thread, they never once said anything about going back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

What is the urgency for rolling out boosters Wolfey ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ok odyssey, in your world, it’s me a random boards poster causing the confusion & not our media, politicians and public health representatives. Despite the fact I just quoted the many people I heard over the last few days in the way they used the numbers.

Have you a source that it’s today’s ICU figures being quoted as to the percentage unvaccinated?

Oh no masks! And what is the government and the globalist great reset plan with the masks? To suffocate our brain cells to death so they can manipulate us and microchip us?....

The restricitons on our lives that the likes of you have been so paranoid about are literally fading away by the month and you're fixating on the one final piece of medical advice that will be left. Once they are gone too you'll be a cold lonely empty man shouting at a cloud.

The major difference between now and the 22nd will be nightclubs. Arguably the highest risk activity. Mostly young people go to clubs and they also have the lowest vaccine rates. Probably around 60-70%. Just enforce vaccine status in that environment in order for them to open it yet still maintain "caution" for their concerns. It may not be enough for nphet though and we know the govt won't go against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Absolutely couldn’t have said it better . Word for word id agree with everything you’ve said there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I think the argument I’m making is - with 92% of adults vaccinated. Why continue with the cert & segregation of society based on the vaccine. There is huge uptake & Ireland should have dropped these requirements long ago. There’s a certain cohort who won’t ever get it, there are others for medical reasons who cannot. Why not offer antigen tests and even PCR as options for people to enter venues, concerts, etc.

Do you think the remaining 8% should be forced to get it? Why continue with the cert in its current form unless this is the objective? The only other possibly I can see with such high uptake is an Israel scenario where people with two shots are not counted as vaccinated anymore & the cert is used to coerce people to get a third. Varadkar is on record today talking about ‘an extensive booster programme’ - this is a nightmare scenario and will actually damage uptake not help it. People will wonder what’s the point if so soon after their second, they’re been made to take a third off label and with no EMA approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Talk of boosters in an obese, wealthy Western country while poorer countries cannot even get first doses of vaccines to their vulnerable really is grotesque and despicable. I cannot take anyone seriously who even suggests boosters in this context. It says a lot that Israel is the country that gobbled up vaccines to jab themselves multiple times, hardly a beacon for moral, respectable humans to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

You do need a vaccine passport to enter outdoor matches and events in Scotland. My father can't go to the Celtic game this weekend as he was vaccinated here in Ireland not the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Agree there but I fear the powers that be don’t believe the certs will be strictly policed and that’s why there will be no change Friday week . As it stands now some check many don’t . It needs to be properly enforced and there is justified scepticism that it won’t be . At least I think that’s the reservations government have with reopening fully with vaccine certs .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

With Delta having a much higher threshold for herd immunity, it means by falling short of that, those immunecompromised people (who have very little immune response after 2 jabs) are left more exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

The day the re-opening plan was announced ^^^^

Oct 14th - 1627 new cases, 415 hospital and 70 ICU

Seemingly enough to throw the whole plan out the window, we are essentially back where we were five weeks ago, when everyone said they are not reopening fast enough; but now there is almost an acceptance of not re-opening.

Did find it eerily interesting that Donnelly predicted the peak in mid-october, are they trying to re-gain credibility in the modelling before a bigger announcement or something?:

From Sept 1st: https://www.independent.ie/videos/cases-will-peak-in-mid-october-says-stephen-donnelly-on-irelands-covid-transmission-40807509.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

WOW! So 30 extra in hospital in nearly 2 months and that's enough for a national meltdown and our leaders telling us the virus had taken an "unexpected turn".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Our problem right now (and since April 2020) is hospital numbers

Realistically what effect on hospital figures would mandatory vaccine passes on the doors of nightclubs have?

Nightclubs could likely have remained open all along and very few attendees would have required hospital treatment due to their age profile which is likely between 17-24.

The hospital and ICU beds are still not filling up with those in their twenties

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I wonder if many here are following the story about gas prices and the real big story of next year, which is a severe global fertilizer shortage.

When you consider the little hiccup that caused the Arab Spring, and this is not a little hiccup, next few years could be exciting political across the world.

As a farmer looking at it, it's already past need for a coordinated EU level plan.

The greatest damage and impact of COVID will become apparent as we move past it.

40% of Global phosphate will not be exported from China up to at least next June.

Other bans there are coming in to play.

The era of cheap food post WW2 is going to end next year, for probably a few years anyway, all the inputs in to crops are largely doubling in price this year and that's presuming one can even buy them.

Going to be very interesting.

It's Covid related in that the whole crisis has brought this on, or at least broke the camels back.

• Advertisement

Yes I get what you're saying but my thought process is that increased cases is what leads to increased hospitalisation. The link post been weakened post vaccines compared to pre vaccination but we all know its still there. Vaccines do dampen and reduce transmission. You're less likely to have covid if vaxxed, less likely to be symptomatic if you do catch it therefore less contagious, and even if symptomatic have a lower viral load and still less contagious than unvaxxed. Then the other vaxxed around you are less likely to catch it off you too. That's the logic of certs. They do lower transmission hence why we have 1800 instead of like 10/20k cases avg a day despite most of society open several months now.

The virus will circulate less in highly vaxxed high risk environments. It's not perfect it's not ideal but it's a way of opening these places rather than keep them closed. It was the same idea for pubs but it's not enforced.

Advertisement