Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Vudgie wrote: »
    I’m always amused at woefully unqualified people making general statements like these without any evidence etc just because it’s what they feel.

While I agree with you there, it doesn't help when some of our " eminent scientists " are spouting unverified sxxx on the airwaves every day ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Like Sweden, not too much more.

Certainly wouldn’t be bodies piling up in the streets like the media would have you believe.

There is no real evidence that lockdown achieved much at all other than destroying business, the economy and neglecting people with illnesses other than Covid.

People only think that lockdown works because cases tend to go down after lockdown. But that’s because the illness has peaked and dies off itself.

Closing business when there is no evidence that cases are even occurring is just the government and NPHET looking like they are doing something

A fascinating example of the lengths people go to in order to justify a pre-existing opinion.

If you were to believe this quote Government's imposition of a lockdown is timed to coincide with a virus peak in order to make it look like lockdowns work.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sweden's death toll was multiple that of its neighbours - who did lockdown.
    Without lockdown, our death toll would have been multiples higher.

Lockdown had nothing to do with what happened to people with illnesses other than Covid. Please show how health services such as cancer sceenings continued uniterrupted in Sweden, for example. Or economic activity.
    You won't be able to - because they did not.
    They are two entirely separate things.
    You don't know what you are talking about.

These posters are coming back with last year's arguments , when they did not have much to say ( on this thread anyway !) when the proverbial was hitting the fan after restrictions lifted at Christmas .
    Nothing new in their debate , just usual stuff about Sweden and lockdown , which frankly is irrelevant now we are getting vaccinated .

Could we have done some things differently ? Yes ,but essentially we have done what the majority of the world has done to a greater or lesser extent .

Some want no restrictions , be grand sure

There's a thread for that somewhere ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Turtwig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity if there were zero restrictions and no social distancing. Everything continued like 2019. What do people think our deaths would have been?

I have a question.

What do you think our deaths would have been had the government not implemented lockdown, if social distancing measures were advisory only, but then the government had aggressively targeted nursing homes and health care settings with measures to protect the residents from covid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

So RTÉ are still giving airtime to ISAG on national radio, in relation to our travel policy why?
    What has Aoife McLysaght got to do with travel policy here? OR even Covid for that matter? What are her qualifications to be given a national platform on this. Claire Byrne's shameful support of this group needs to be reeled in and investigated.

Tomás Ryan has been on an ISAG video this morning stating he has NO DATA but that Covid could cause Autism in pregnant women...total scaremongering.

Isag are a bigger danger than some of the conspiracy theory goons out there.shameful stuff again from Clare Byrne today giving mclysaght free reign spouting absolute drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Turtwig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity if there were zero restrictions and no social distancing. Everything continued like 2019. What do people think our deaths would have been?

It's hard to know, because no restrictions doesn't mean nobody follows social distancing of their own accord. Sweden may not have had so many government level restrictions but mobility data showed Swedes behaved very sensibly all the same throughout the pandemic, and not that dissimilarly to other Europeans who were under lockdown orders.

I think we can safely say Ireland's deaths would have been about 5000 more than now without restrictions, but probably wouldn't have gone much above a total of 15,000 without restrictions. But then again in such a situation it could have easily resulted in an overrun ICU capacity which may well have exaggerated those deaths further again.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    10,000 - 13,000 is where I would have put deaths with no restrictions.

Based on
    7000000 over 65s -According to official statistics 35% of this age group have caught covid.
    Thats 245,000 people.

Death rate in confirmed cases is anywhere from 1.8%- 5%

At 1.8% it gives us 4410 deaths , at 4% it give 9800 and at 5% it gives us 12250 deaths.

Interesting statistical tactics to try and apply the population death rate to the over 65's and still try to present the conclusion as credible.

Death rate in confirmed cases in Ireland in over 65's is 14%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Meaningless going on a single day's results. Their 7 day average for deaths is 44.

Too early to draw conclusions yet but it may indicate that vaccination is having the expected results. They have 74% with at least a single dose.

And just to update your error. They didn't report zero that day, but 28 and 42 yesterday.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It's hard to know, because no restrictions doesn't mean nobody follows social distancing of their own accord. Sweden may not have had so many government level restrictions but mobility data showed Swedes behaved very sensibly all the same throughout the pandemic, and not that dissimilarly to other Europeans who were under lockdown orders.

I think we can safely say Ireland's deaths would have been about 5000 more than now without restrictions, but probably wouldn't have gone much above a total of 15,000 without restrictions. But then again in such a situation it could have easily resulted in an overrun ICU capacity which may well have exaggerated those deaths further again.

We were at the max limit ICU capacity end of January to February . And that was extended capacity .
    If lockdown hadn't happened the situation of ambulances waiting in the carparks with sick patients would have been a reality , everyday .
    I don't think the majority of the Irish people would have been in favour of a situation like that running on for too long .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

gozunda wrote: »
    Except it isn't.

The advice on not having to wear masks is for those who are fully vaccinated (except places where individual states dictate otherwise)

Currently about 37% of people are fully vaccinated in the US ...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/05/14/996879305/confused-by-cdcs-latest-mask-guidance-heres-what-weve-learned

Yeah I know what the advice is. I understand the English language but thanks for clarifying lol.

Just going by what I see all around me, which is more and more people not wearing masks everyday. Bars and restaurants packed. I highly doubt it's vaccinated people only, it's an honor system, no proof of vaccination required. That's why I said it's "effectively" over, not "officially".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Interesting statistical tactics to try and apply the population death rate to the over 65's and still try to present the conclusion as credible.

Death rate in confirmed cases in Ireland in over 65's is 14%

Ok well show me where you are getting your figures from then?? Because you arent backing anything up with your own data.

Its all well and good trying to dispute my figures when you havent shown us a differing set.

We`ve had 225,000 CONFIRMED cases - for transparency that what we`ll use - not wishy ,washy could have , would have cases. 225,000 is an official figure.

So show me where Im incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Professor Niel Fergusson says the Indian variant is not as transmissible as first feared and it is not resistant to the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

503 cases no deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭corkie

Gael23 wrote: »
    503 cases no deaths
    No reported deaths due to cyber attack.

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1395047352826802179

As of midnight, Tuesday 18th May, the @hpscireland
    has been notified of 503* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

38 in ICU. 101 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data validation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

corkie wrote: »

Nice bug number of deaths to frighten us to come then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nice big number of deaths to frighten us to come then
    Along with a huge backlog!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

corkie wrote: »

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Goldengirl wrote: »
    We were at the max limit ICU capacity end of January to February . And that was extended capacity .
    If lockdown hadn't happened the situation of ambulances waiting in the carparks with sick patients would have been a reality , everyday .
    I don't think the majority of the Irish people would have been in favour of a situation like that running on for too long .

Exactly, most of our data in terms of CFR over the past year has to take into account that anyone who needed healthcare managed to get it, and while there are numbers for hospital and ICU admission, you'd need to also get data on GP care and COVID centres that were set up in Primary Care Centres to provide care pre-hospital.

Obviously it's all hypothetical and it would be hard to work out what may have happened had the health system collapsed, but just running with CFR and multiplying for a higher % of the population catching it doesn't give an accurate prediction.

This is why the "we locked down for a virus with a 99.7% survival rate" you see bandied about irritates me. Granted, it would have had to have been brutal from 80-100,00 deaths, but this was a time when very little was known relative to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Nice bug number of deaths to frighten us to come then

If someone doesn't understand that 7 day's worth of something is more than one day and gets frightened, not really the government's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭corkie

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Where does it say that?

It doesn't but Death reports haven't been included since before the 15th May.
    Them not announcing them doesn't mean there is/was none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

The daily deaths reported in the past few weeks seem to be meaningless in the sense that the actual dates of death were often weeks or even months previously. I may have the exact numbers wrong, but about 2 weeks ago there was one day when 8 deaths were reported, approximately 3 in each of January, February and March. Against that there are no doubt a few deaths occurring this week which will not get reported until June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Reading through there and noticed Two horrible cretinous pricks being mentioned. Ryan and Aoife Mylysaght are worse then Staines and Killeen. No morals, Whatsoever. Scaremongering. When watching the video the two of them looked a bit unhinged to be honest.

https://twitter.com/niall_boylan/status/1394960983177715716?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Reading through there and noticed Two horrible cretinous pricks being mentioned. Ryan and Aoife Mylysaght are worse then Staines and Killeen. No morals, Whatsoever. Scaremongering. When watching the video the two of them looked a bit unhinged to be honest.

This picture sums it up. Lockdowns don't effect this people. Out of touch with most people in this country.

https://twitter.com/aoifemcl/status/1259185744318468100

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wadacrack wrote: »
    This picture sums it up. Lockdowns don't effect this people. Out of touch with most people in this country.

Picture sums what up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Haha finally putting a face to the name of that Tomas Ryan guy. Looks like one of those grow your own aliens. Just add water and unfounded speculation.

Exactly, most of our data in terms of CFR over the past year has to take into account that anyone who needed healthcare managed to get it, and while there are numbers for hospital and ICU admission, you'd need to also get data on GP care and COVID centres that were set up in Primary Care Centres to provide care pre-hospital.

Obviously it's all hypothetical and it would be hard to work out what may have happened had the health system collapsed, but just running with CFR and multiplying for a higher % of the population catching it doesn't give an accurate prediction.

This is why the "we locked down for a virus with a 99.7% survival rate" you see bandied about irritates me. Granted, it would have had to have been brutal from 80-100,00 deaths, but this was a time when very little was known relative to now.

Agreed.
    A lot more would have not made it if unable to access oxygen and monitoring in the younger / under 50 age groups too .
    It is not only the older people who got very sick .

D.Q wrote: »
    Haha finally putting a face to the name of that Tomas Ryan guy. Looks like one of those grow your own aliens. Just add water and unfounded speculation.

This is funny .
    But the level of hate for these ISAG people knows no bounds here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

wadacrack wrote: »

Look at the date it's May last year when Covid was not as bad they are in the back garden doing nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Look at the date it's May last year when Covid was not as bad they are in the back garden doing nothing wrong

I think the point is that they are grand in lockdown.... working from home, sitting out in their garden, enjoying life etc... compared to the people with no job, garden to sit in or life to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ryan has been a laughing stock for ages now, that video doesn't surprise me one bit. He and his ISAG cronies are a disgrace.

Advertisement