Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Supermarkets can REFUSE service to unvaccinated customers in Frankfurt

Are these the type of ‘common sense’ measures you’re talking about? Honestly refusing to allow unvaccinated people to shop in a supermarket and buy food? This is very dangerous path being trodden now, things like medical trials, analysis of data, heck even EMA approval all seem to be gone out the window as a requirement to administer booster mRNA vaccines. Do you honestly think the boosters will stop with ‘healthcare workers & over 60s? Yesterday they were just for over 80s and immunocompromised.

If getting 92pc of population to take vaccine isn’t enough, what will be?

This is a good article but it is behind a paywall. If we cannot reopen as it stands, when can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

You're speaking rather soon, aren't you? Hungary has one of the worst death rates in the world. Why would we want to be like them?

Sweden's latest daily death figure is 30.

We have not gone through a Delta winter yet. And there is a new super Delta variant emerging out of Scotland, AY 4.2, believed to have a transmission advantage over "normal" Delta in the 5-20% range.

It seems obvious to me that the people who actually want to move on with life are those who accept that life can only move on if we put in place a sustainable framework to do that.

Those who want 2019 normality are wing and a prayer merchants.

Well it seems strange to me how that many or most of those who want an end to all common sense public health measures do so under the cloak of "libertarianism".

One of the core tenets of libertarianism is that businesses should be able to refuse entry to anybody for reasons they don't have to disclose.

So if you're a libertarian, you should have no problem with the unvaccinated being refused entry to supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Plenty of countries have moved on. Why should we accept measures "for the foreseeable future"? What makes us different? Seriously what's the end game here, life has to move on at some stage

That's more sloganeering.

Italy, France and Germany to name three have more common sense public health measures in place than us. We're currently about the same level as the Netherlands, where cases are rising significantly.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=chart&time=2021-08-14..latest&country=IRL~DEU~ITA~FRA~NLD~GBR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Refusing people entrance to a supermarket so they can buy food to eat is nuts just because they haven't been vaccinated. It's stuff like that that would make me decide not to get vaccinated in future. I want no part in a society like that. It looks like the fascists are going to take this pandemic and run with it to create the society they want.

I personally wouldn't be in favour of refusing the unvaccinated access to supermarkets, but calling people "fascists" isn't doing much for your case, especially given the well documented involvement of actual fascists in the anti-vaccine "movement" both in Ireland and worldwide.

It's the sort of comment that leaves me fairly unsympathetic to people who refuse to be vaccinated, against all evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cherry pick all you like but as I said, plenty countries have moved on.

We have one of the highest vaccination rates on the planet, there's precisely zero reason why we can't move on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,413 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

We have a million and a half unvaccinated people to continue driving this pandemic all winter.

Have a look at what's happening elsewhere. Have a look at The UK. The unvaccinated are driving it. And great as the vaccines are, that means there will be significant spread into the vaccinated, especially among the elderly.

I mean why do you think hospitals in Limerick are cancelling procedures already? This is only October 16th. We have five months of winter ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Rise in numbers last year at this time. Probably due to schools, colleges opening and people back from holidays. This time we have 90% vaccinated but we have Delta. Probably best to re-open now and let Delta 'vaccinate' whoever, let it peak and it will run out of room to expand. Masks to stay indoors and vaccine certs for many places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭amandstu

So that gives a 30/67/3 percentage breakdown in ICU of the vaccinated/unvaccinated/part vaccinated cohorts

What would be the corresponding breakdown of those cohorts in society in general ?( for over 12s)

Something like 90/10 /80?

Anyone know,or can work out the right figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well matters have turned so conclusively that we are more likely to be seen as serving the health service than the health service serving us..

It's one hell of a slight of hand to convince the masses that the populace is not much more than a burden on the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well the Health service would run so much better without so many sick people!

Its something like 90 to 92 percent fully vaccinated but there is a margin of error as figures on total population arent exact daily considering immigration and emigration.

Plus some people may have been vaccinated abroad

Rather soon? We're almost two years into "just two weeks to flatten the curve".

In your opinion, is life the avoidance of death from covid? Is that all it is? Does seeing people's faces, which has been the norm for centuries, important at all?

Lord Sumption talks about life being more than the avoidance of death, but it's actually the avoidance of death from covid. That's all we ever hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Colleges , communions , weddings , funerals , christenings , people just loving living again .

I actually think we are doing ok to be honest

As I suspected, the tone on this thread has changed completely.

Just a few days ago the pro restrictions posters were telling us that we were paranoid. There was no way we’d be delaying anything.

Now we are trying to justify ongoing/permanent restrictions.

For the overall sanity and well being of this country, I’d very gladly accept a higher death toll now than more years of restrictions.

It’s a sad state of affairs that we need to travel abroad for gigs etc and then come home and need to mask up and show papers to have a tea.

Shame on anybody supporting more months of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Just a few days ago the pro restrictions posters were telling us that we were paranoid. There was no way we’d be delaying anything.

The people in favour of restrictions told us the thing they were in favour of wasn't happening and we were crazy for thinking they were right.......

Yep, about the level of reality I've come to expect here.....

Surprised you are not gone into hiding after your posts over the last few days…

• Advertisement

Me? I'm in the pub, sitting at the bar watching the boxing, like a good *checks notes* pro restrictions poster....

I have never seen so much glee about the potential that everything won’t go ahead as planned. The prospect that the source of the daily frothing rage may be taken away was really hitting some people hitting so hard, that they are greeting the hint that they may not with an exuberance that lets their true wishes come to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You do know that people are entitled to have a different opinion to you dont you ?

That's politer than me, I'd call them borderline sociopaths who would gladly see society crumble so they could be right on the internet who'll be desperately scrambling to explain how were still locked down when restrictions are lifted on Tuesday.

On boards anyway, I'd call them much worse to their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

On boards anyway, I'd call them much worse to their face.

Careful Jack, you've an internet hardman who's drinking pints on your case

And he likes a bit of boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sunday papers starting to filter out with the front pages.

The times gets there first this week.

They say,

Government sources saying what the government want do is reopen nightclubs with vaccine cert, remove caps on stadiums ( indoor isn't mentioned but with clubs open you'd assume it carries through to the likes of 3arena etc) & remove caps on weddings.

Return to the office to stay in the phase it's currently in, but really it wasn't changing much anyway from what I can see, most places have gone hybrid anyway.

Government sources (rather oddly I think) are putting the case increase partially down to more people having head colds and going for tests to then return postive results that otherwise might have gone undected.

I mean I see where they're coming from with it but it feels like a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

We're not on any precipice or cliff edge that NPHET would have us believe. They're only piping up because they were due to be disbanded. That's all it is, them staying relevant. We knew that cases would rise with kids and college students going back, sure they told us ffs. We're well past saturation point re vaccination so having a pop at the unvaccinated is pure finger pointing.

I've been over to the UK a couple of times in the last 2 months and whilst it was a bit of a headfcuk at first it was great to get to feel some form of normality again. I'll be back over again next weekend and I can't wait.

If we don't open up next week then when will we ever be in a position to do so?

It’s the continual search of social media, rte, listening to Joe Duffy etc in the hope of finding an opinion that triggers their daily rage fix that is really bizarre.

I can well imagine Jack and fintan et al having a rant online when 20/21 shows up on reeling in the years in 2030, and proclaiming it further evidence of continued restrictions because they dared to mention covid

The problem isnt the dying.

Its that the people who wont take the vaccine still expect hospitals and ICU to be there for them if they get covid.

To be brutal about it, I think the government would accept a higher death toll too (or rather not feel as directly responsible) but not the overwhelming of ICU capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Government sources (rather oddly I think) are putting the case increase partially down to more people having head colds and going for tests to then return postive results that otherwise might have gone undected.

That's a nuts thing to come out with about PCR tests after 18 months and millions of tests

Advertisement