Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think the point is that they are grand in lockdown.... working from home, sitting out in their garden, enjoying life etc... compared to the people with no job, garden to sit in or life to live.

Yeah, get that.
    But isn't that just begrudgery ?
    Does that mean anyone witha garden or a nice life somehow has no right to an opinion ?
    Not getting at you because you are just explaining the post to someone else , but its bit shvtty that people are judged for sitting in their back garden having a drink when most people criticising them for that , would normally be saying " good on them" !
    Who knows what is going on in their lives , what stresses and mental health issues are behind those smiles ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think the point is that they are grand in lockdown.... working from home, sitting out in their garden, enjoying life etc... compared to the people with no job, garden to sit in or life to live.

Well lots of people work from home
    Lots of people have some type of outdoor space

Are they 'grand' 'enjoying life' rather than being miserable in lockdown like they should be?

But hey ...

5a6d3x.jpg

Social media has a lot to answer for tbh ....

gozunda wrote: »
    Well lots of people work from home
    Lots of people have some type of outdoor space

Are they 'grand' 'enjoying life' rather than being miserable in lockdown like they should be?

But hey ...

5a6d3x.jpg

Social media has a lot to answer for ....

Haha , :D

Have to add I can't stand that McLysaght wan ! So shrill , and she sitting out in her back garden !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yeah, get that.
    But isn't that just begrudgery ?
    Does that mean anyone witha garden or a nice life somehow has no right to an opinion ?
    Not getting at you because you are just explaining the post to someone else , but its bit shvtty that people are judged for sitting in their back garden having a drink when most people criticising them for that , would normally be saying " good on them" !
    Who knows what is going on in their lives , what stresses and mental health issues are behind those smiles ! :p

Again... *I think* the point is.... It is easy for people like this to say we need more severe lockdowns etc... Since it doesn't impact their income or quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

corkie wrote: »
    No reported deaths due to cyber attack.

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1395047352826802179

As of midnight, Tuesday 18th May, the @hpscireland
    has been notified of 503* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

38 in ICU. 101 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data validation.

Gavin Reilly said on twitter in response to another user that the cases are actually the positive swabs. We know from many months of this that cases are always lower than positive swabs so the numbers are in reality lower.
    Although saying that it's ICU, hospital and vaccine numbers that really matter these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This is funny .
    But the level of hate for these ISAG people knows no bounds here :D

I’m afraid Goldengirl a Professor who makes unfounded, no data claims that Covid could increase the chances of autism during pregnancy is an absolute disgrace of the highest order. This same professor was a near permanent resident of RTÉ and other media organisations for the last 12 months.
    Having another member of this organisation on national radio today making further unsubstantiated claims with a presenter clearly on the ISAG side is a National disgrace. They didn’t want any reopening whatsoever at any stage during this pandemic.
    This group is directly responsible for giving people false information throughout this pandemic with a huge cost on many people’s lives & were given a national platform to do so. This should be investigated & they should not be given airtime until they answer what their objectives are & why they were using a terrorist manual in their ‘tactics’ to scare the Irish public rather than providing facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

This is funny .

No hang on, it’s not without reason.

They have repeatedly been given carte blanche across all Irish media platforms to spout entirely speculative, worst case nonsense.

They call themselves scientific but they are anything but.

They consistently involve children in their wildly inaccurate, doom laden predictions and as a father of two small children that’s personally unforgivable.

Just one example, last summer on Eamon Dunphys podcast Tomas Ryan came up with a figure of 104 dead children if we didn’t open the schools properly. He then asked how many children died during the troubles?

This is not science. It’s pure emotional blackmail and manipulation.

They know exactly what they’re doing. We’ve seen the leaked emails. It’s insidious and reprehensible.

So that’s why they’re hated from some quarters here.

I’m afraid Goldengirl a Professor who makes unfounded, no data claims that Covid could increase the chances of autism during pregnancy is an absolute disgrace of the highest order. This same professor was a near permanent resident of RTÉ and other media organisations for the last 12 months.
    Having another member of this organisation on national radio today making further unsubstantiated claims with a presenter clearly on the ISAG side is a National disgrace. They didn’t want any reopening whatsoever at any stage during this pandemic.
    This group is directly responsible for giving people false information throughout this pandemic with a huge cost on many people’s lives & were given a national platform to do so. This should be investigated & they should not be given airtime until they answer what their objectives are & why they were using a terrorist manual in their ‘tactics’ to scare the Irish public rather than providing facts.

No I totally agree with you CruelSummer . They are a disgrace and should have been reefed out of it for a lot of the tripe they have been coming out with since Christmas.
    I posted as much earlier this afternoon on the thread .
    But their is some unbalanced criticism which is bordering on witch hunt here .

They have repeatedly been given carte blanche across all Irish media platforms to spout entirely speculative, worst case nonsense.

They consistently involve children in their wildly inaccurate, doom laden predictions and as a father of two small children that’s personally unforgivable.

Just one example, last summer on Eamon Dunphys podcast Tomas Ryan came up with a figure of 104 dead children if we didn’t open the schools properly. He then asked how many children died during the troubles?

They know exactly what they’re doing. We’ve seen the leaked emails. It’s insidious and reprehensible.

So that’s why they’re hated from some quarters here.

I heard that podcast but would have seen it as this will happen if we don't do x or y .

What they have been saying since Christmas amounts to conspiracy theory mad stuff so I have tuned them out , turned them off , don't read or listen to them .
    Only listen to those I can learn from , and that one's voice goes through me ( McLysaght ) , so switch the channel if she is on.
    If you have small kids or are pregnant this bs is toxic alright

Can I suggest to people to email complaints @ rte.ie and complain about this group / shows / presenters who are letting them rant freely and unchallenged.
    Very effective when it's in writing and can't be ignored .
    We all have a right to at least some explanation from them and RTE have been getting away with a lot the last year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is funny .

Do you believe it to misplaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So...given it will be in the near enough future when I'm hoping to get a vaccine, and always having wondered whether I could have had covid before (asymptomatic/minor symptoms perhaps), I've ordered an antibody test for €74.

Yes, a fool and his money are easily parted perhaps. Anyway, a home testing kit sent out, you do blood pricks, and send back to lab.

Who knows, more curious than anything :)

So took my blood sample (250ul about 10 drops). Courier collected Monday morning (DHL medical express), arrived in Lab in Germany this morning.
    Got results this evening - no antibodies (lgG) and "a quantitative evaluation of antibodies against the spike protection (S1 antibodies) was also performed."

So, never had it, but either way, glad I did the test, even if it's not a particularly relevant test to take what with vaccines now on stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So that’s why they’re hated from some quarters here

And supported and defended by the other 3/4’s on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

And supported and defended by the other 3/4’s on here

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't seen any "support" for ISAG here (not counting the occasional newly registered poster who last a day).

Most experts who share their opinion publicly get a slagging here, so you wouldn't have 3/4 of people behind them.

..And before someone says "NPHET", I don't think they get a 75% approval rating either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Can I suggest to people to email complaints @ rte.ie and complain about this group / shows / presenters who are letting them rant freely and unchallenged.
    Very effective when it's in writing and can't be ignored .
    We all have a right to at least some explanation from them and RTE have been getting away with a lot the last year .

I do think it's obvious at this stage that RTE's role (whether it was imposed on them or they chose it) during this whole thing has been to scare people into following restrictions.

Claire Byrne in particular has taken to the role like a duck to water. The amount of absolute nonsense, hysteria-making at times and other times child-like segments ("now I have a hurl in my hand. that signifies sports. people wouldn't get their heads around this idea if I didn't have the hurl. They'd be like 'sport? me not know sport'. Will we be allowed sports under the new guidance?"), has been on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Polar101 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't seen any "support" for ISAG here (not counting the occasional newly registered poster who last a day).

Most experts who share their opinion publicly get a slagging here, so you wouldn't have 3/4 of people behind them.

..And before someone says "NPHET", I don't think they get a 75% approval rating either. :)

I suspect there are ISAG people who post here including on the travel threads. Either that or they are copying and pasting narrative from here into posts, tweets and interviews in subsequent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ISAG sound like a bunch of lunatics

I do think it's obvious at this stage that RTE's role (whether it was imposed on them or they chose it) during this whole thing has been to scare people into following restrictions.

Claire Byrne in particular has taken to the role like a duck to water. The amount of absolute nonsense, hysteria-making at times and other times child-like segments ("now I have a hurl in my hand. that signifies sports. people wouldn't get their heads around this idea if I didn't have the hurl. They'd be like 'sport? me not know sport'. Will we be allowed sports under the new guidance?"), has been on another level.

Remember when she casually held up those two plastic pints to the camera, making light of beleaguered hospitality. Imagine a frustrated publican watching on, his doors bolted for over a year. RTÉ have not covered themselves in glory throughout the pandemic, trivialising the struggles of certain sectors while beating the "stay at home" mantra into the ground. Then you have George Lee one step removed from a nervous breakdown, for he cannot entertain optimism. Any pretense of impartiality has descended into fawning appreciation of NPHET, a cringeworthy debacle in its own right. Thank goodness we're on the threshold of re-opening society proper or there would be nothing but spiralling debt and tumbleweeds left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I suspect there are ISAG people who post here including on the travel threads. Either that or they are copying and pasting narrative from here into posts, tweets and interviews in subsequent days.

Tbh - I aven't seen anything here or on travel threads copied or pasted from ISAG

Have you links to these comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Covid is last months news . We've moved on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Seems to be an outbreak in UCC, Cork according to reports
    Few outbreaks in Schools too.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40293704.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your posting this week would suggest otherwise. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Thanks can you let me know what forum everyone's headed off to.. I left my coat here and so had to come back and get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

wadacrack wrote: »

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40293704.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Ucc are lucky that the one and only Gerry Killeen on hand to sort it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Thanks can you let me know what forum everyone's headed off to.. I left my coat here and so had to come back and get it.

We've moved on to Palestine and the housing crisis .

Looking at the weather, you’d have to just laugh at the idea of an outdoor summer.

The weather in Ireland can never be guaranteed, even in July/August.

Looking at the weather, you’d have to just laugh at the idea of an outdoor summer.

The weather in Ireland can never be guaranteed, even in July/August.

It's not going to be like this week for the entire summer.

Calm down!!! :eek:

You're beginning to sound like George Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

wadacrack wrote: »

UCC are all online though?

eskimohunt wrote: »
    It's not going to be like this week for the entire summer.

Calm down!!! :eek:

You're beginning to sound like George Lee.

Bad May, good summer in my experience....to the weather forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

funnydoggy wrote: »
    UCC are all online though?
    House parties and end of year celebrations aren't online though.

Advertisement