Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If it comes down to that situation and surge capacity is exhausted, then yes it will be down to chance of survival. The way it's always been.

Age and comorbidities will likely have a bigger say than vaccination status though.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

I think "continues to get worse" is a bit misleading.

There are outbreaks in hospitals, we don't know what % of the people in hospital are there for other reasons and no have a "you're positive" text or are actually sick having been admitted with covid.

We know we have about 70 in ICU, but after nearly 2 years of flattening the curve we have built in extra ICU capacity to deal with this, so its not a problem either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We have a deal that allows access to private hospitals as well. Most of these ICU beds are in use for normal hospital needs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,044 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This pitting the vaccinated against the un-vaccinated just ignores the elephant in the room that this lot are incapable of providing a sufficient health service to deal with seasonal illness. The hospitals will be overrun again and the fingers will be pointed at the un-vaccinated it's so **** predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Should a non smoker be prioritised over a smoker? A fit person over someone who doesn't exercise? How about someone who caught AIDS over someone who doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1578 cases today, not much use as a total for Project Fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

They more than likely holding a good few hundred in their back pocket for the announcement later in the week. Shock and awe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you mean to antigen test everyone who wants to go to a pub that day? Regardless of vaccination status?

Is any country doing this?

Given our case count Im not convinced we should be relying on such an unreliable test (50 percent) for unvaccinated people who are more likely to get infected, to spread the virus and to get severe covid case.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Based on swabs it could be closer to 1000 I think, somebody got their dates mixed up, too late coming with a big number tomorrow after the announcement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sam McConkey on Today FM advising that nightclubs should open at 50-60% capacity with customers seated and table service. Not sure he's very familiar with nightclubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Good ole Sam McDonkey coming out of the woodwork again!

Look at the person that is actually saying those comments marno21. He is so out of touch of society, yet gets regular airtime in both local, national print and broadcast media, peddling alarmist predictions and scaremongering throughout this covid pandemic. On a par with Gerry Killeen and Tomas Ryan as the ultimate "doom and gloom" merchants.

Those lads aren’t doom and gloom they’re not well in the head!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What time will this be at, I've dinner plans for 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭brickster69

I hope it's before 10, i'm off the nightclub tonight.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Post edited by bucketybuck on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah you have said it months ago and repeated it every week since! Despite the silliness of this being debunked.

Why would busy hospitals keep anyone in , if they just had cough unless something else was going on ?

The numbers of those with Covid as well as those ill because of Covid need to be given I agree so that will stop this ridiculous argument .

Where I work about 2% are patients like you describe , and their condition is very much complicated by Covid .

first of all I haven’t said it every week, but yes the numbers need to be segregated.

wasn’t there an issue before that some couldn’t isolate so we’re admitted to hospital with mild symptoms?

Yes they should come out and say this clearly once and for all .

There are very few patients kept in hospital unless they are very ill or they are in some sort of rural step down hospital . Maybe some of the numbers are coming from there or outbreaks around the country .

Outbreaks and case numbers involved do show up in the epidemiology reports about a week later when they get the facts and results together . So not being hidden at all .

People were not admitted to general hospital so they can isolate ,I don't know where you got that from .

There were people sent to hotels alright last year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

What is the current public health recommendations about colds and flu?

I thought Tony Holohan said before that if you feel unwell with any cold or flu symptoms, you must not go to work or school or share public transport and limit movements in public? Is that correct. I could nearly swear Tony was recommending that not long ago. I thought he said before it must become unacceptable to go to work or school with a cold or flu.

Is this part of the public health messaging falling on some deaf ears? Will this message be pushed more.

I had a colleague rock into work today with a cough that sounded like a dry cough and also sounds like a hoarse throat. Thankfully we are all vaccinated but it is still nerve wrecking. I was reading another forum and people are having mixed experiences with covid after vaccinations. Some people are getting mild infections but others are getting ill like a flu for a week or two or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It could be any number of things. You are definitely going to find people prone to other rhinoviruses and suchlike as we’ve spent 18 months apart from each other. In any given year these things are floating around all the time and our immune system deals with them so it's naturally having a spot of bother at the moment with something it hasn't seen for a while. There is definitely a bad cold going about anyway.

Six One news parroting Reid's tweet, "It will be necessary to hit the pause button for a few weeks." Date undefined naturally, giving the government plenty to scope to push that out indefinitely. Also, our seasoned propagandists trotting out the old chestnut: "We all remember what happened last year when people wanted a meaningful Christmas". Usual dishonest hackery, not dwelling on the fact there were no vaccines in late 2020 compared to huge uptake nationwide today. How RTE get away with this disingenuous scaremongering is hard to fathom. Would they ever report on the fact that NPHET were due to be disbanded this month? Or what percentage of people hospitalised with Covid contracted it on those premises? Not a chance, this doesn't fit in with their relentless moralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Like transplants restricted for drug abusters etc. Perhaps it would be better not to treat non-vaccinated in ICU for Covid illness and prioritise others?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

I used to be prone to a lot of chest infections which were born out from colds so I generally fear colds because there's potential to become unwell for many weeks.

I don't care what it virus it is. Tony said before that it must become unacceptable within society to go to work and school with a cold or flu.

Ok. What does every body suggest ?

People in HSE are leaving right , left and centre .

A lot of staff are owed holidays from 2020 still, never mind 2021 because the system is lurching from crisis to crisis .

Unless they are working in some quiet place down the country where there hasn't been much Covid ,( might be one or two places , I don't know ) staff are becoming increasingly despondent and exhausted .

I would be gone by now after all the years but am only I am working half time , and if I get a chance I'll be gone too.

So many staff are leaving to go to work privately or in the community and managers are not even trying to get them to stay anymore .

This is not an us and them situation as us being drummed up by some here , and I am disappointed to see regular posters getting involved in ' HSE bashing '.

I am no HSE fangirl but it is your neighbours and your friends , that are working their butts off to try to get through the worst crisis so far in our health service ,so let's keep that in mind .

Apart from taking over private hospitals for regular care there is nothing else we can do at the moment to change this situation. I think it will get worse over the next month or two before settling again once Delta has nowhere to go,but rising cases however mild ,will end up in some people becoming very sick and needing hospitalisation.

Our hospitals have been badly managed and poor decisions have been made by successive governments and it has come home to roost . I have said this before .But the staff are not and should not be the punchbags for everyone's frustrations over Covid and its effects .

Aim that blame at our successive health ministers....4 are still in government and are well paid . Those lads are accountable for the mess youseebefore you,not nurses, doctors, HCAs , physios, lab technicians, pharmacists or even ward managers .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I wish I could thank this post 100 times !

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

We all need to 'hit the reset' button quickly. The HSE doesn't function or adapt to the needs of the population, we must adapt as a population of 5 million to the needs of our overcrowded, badly run hospitals. I say that with the upmost respect for the medical personnel in these hospitals who do a fantastic job in the circumstances.

We need an 'abundance of caution' until our new system of Covid control is fully integrated into society permanently. Michéal Martin said they're 'studying' data from Israel - such a beacon of light to the world on human rights issues. This is what they're 'studying'. And this is why the Certs are being kept, make no mistake.

New guidelines: Israel restricts its COVID-19 ‘green pass’ rules, sparking protest (arabnews.com)

"JERUSALEM: Israel restricted its COVID-19 Green Pass on Sunday to allow only those who have received a vaccine booster dose or recently recuperated from coronavirus to enter indoor venues. The new criteria mean that nearly 2 million people will lose their vaccination passport in the coming days.

Israel is the first country to make a booster shot a requirement for its digital vaccination passport. The move is widely seen as a step to encourage booster vaccination among those who have yet to receive a third dose."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

At what stage did I blame hospital staff ? I am well aware how staff work I was a nurse . I worked my own butt off for 40 odd years .

i said HSE get your act together . Most people understand quite well that that is aimed at the higher admin and not the nurses and doctors

I am a bit taken aback at your reply to be honest as it was far from blaming nurses or ground level staff. And I am a bit peed off to have words put in my mouth .

THE Department and HSE are to blame for this mess of lack of ICU capicity which was flagged by the INMO years ago

Phil O Seadha has just agreed with me on the News

I think you need to read my post again and breathe

• Advertisement

It’s not our business to fix the hospitals. My freedoms shouldn’t be removed because they are shambolic.

Perhaps stop spending on PUP, business supports, renting the convention centre for months and all the ridiculous Covid nonsense and use all the money along with the insane annual HSE budget and fix the issues!

Advertisement