Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have to laugh at people trying to handwave away the Irish weather, is there anything that they won't try to argue for in the name of the almighty covid?

There will be good days and bad days, same as every Irish summer. The issue isn't that there aren't any good days, it is that you cannot rely on them. Pick a day for your wedding/party/dinner/meeting and it might be nice, or it might be a drizzling **** like it is today. You won't know until the day.

And they want an industry to build a business model around that?

The people who dismiss the problem just show how much contempt they have for the whole issue. They don't really care about it, they would be just as happy to shut the whole thing down indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

marno21 wrote: »
    House parties and end of year celebrations aren't online though.

Exactly

Good few school cases in North Cork too

Leaving Cert 'graduation' parties from students who aren't doing the leaving cert but are happy with predictive grades

I hope I'm wrong but when county data is pieced together there will be a decent proportion of cases in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

eskimohunt wrote: »
    It's not going to be like this week for the entire summer.

It certainly wouldn’t be a surprise if the weather stayed like this for much of the Summer in Ireland.

We do have a rather unpalatable climate for outdoor life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Looking at the weather, you’d have to just laugh at the idea of an outdoor summer.

The weather in Ireland can never be guaranteed, even in July/August.

Its only rain , you can still go outside. Society has become very strange about the weather. Rain and cold does not equal an awful day. Understandable to a point obviously for certain events but its gone abit too far now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its only rain , you can still go outside. Society has become very strange about the weather. Rain and cold does not equal an awful day. Understandable to a point obviously for certain events but its gone abit too far now at this stage.

You really sound like you live a sheltered life, which is ironic considering your argument.

• Advertisement

nocoverart wrote: »
    You really sound like you live a sheltered life, which is ironic considering your argument.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

wadacrack wrote: »
    How?

if you think we can enjoy an outdoor summer in this climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

marno21 wrote: »
    House parties and end of year celebrations aren't online though.

Ah get you. I was thinking campus and got very confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The insistence on having every town/city centre packed with cars is a much bigger barrier to outdoor dining/drinking than the weather. You'd swear our summer was like winter in the arctic circle the way some people go on.

Sports events and gigs aren't cancelled because of rain. No point in getting worked up over something we cannot control. I did say understandable to a point too btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Brenda Power on Claire Byrne Live this morning. The quality of RTE current affairs gets better and better! Doing her bit for the hospitality industry and telling us what we like and don't like while she's at it!

Brenda Power: "I can't see myself ever wanting to crowd into a pub and stand side by side with complete strangers in the sort of way that we felt was acceptable and even enjoyable when it clearly wasn't so i think a lot of things you know that we felt was expected of us, a lot of behaviours that were expected of us actually weren't that much fun but we did them. For instance, I was writing about this in the Sunday Times, that I went to a pub close by on New Year's Eve in 2019, and when I say packed I don't just mean there was quite a few people there, it was literally like the London Underground packed, like someone had squashed people in. We opened the door, there was no way of going in. Now, nobody there was having a good time, I don't care what they told their friends the next day. The only reason they were there was to say "Oh God, we were in such and such a place last night and it was great craic". No it wasn't. It was awful. "

Claire Byrne: "Maybe we will feel now, or maybe we won't, but a lot of people will, that we don't have to do that anymore, or put ourselves through it"

Brenda Power: "I think going forward we will adapt to a more Scandanavian or more continental model where you have tables, with people sitting at them, and having a conversation where they can actually hear each other. A novel idea"

Brenda Power: "For instance, I was writing about this in the Sunday Times, that I went to a pub close by on New Year's Eve in 2019, and when I say packed I don't just mean there was quite a few people there, it was literally like the London Underground packed, like someone had squashed people in. We opened the door, there was no way of going in. Now, nobody there was having a good time, I don't care what they told their friends the next day. The only reason they were there was to say "Oh God, we were in such and such a place last night and it was great craic". No it wasn't. It was awful. [/I]"

To be honest, I think Brenda is spot on here.

Brenda Power on Claire Byrne Live this morning. The quality of RTE current affairs gets better and better! Doing her bit for the hospitality industry and telling us what we like and don't like while she's at it!

Brenda Power: "I can't see myself ever wanting to crowd into a pub and stand side by side with complete strangers in the sort of way that we felt was acceptable and even enjoyable when it clearly wasn't so i think a lot of things you know that we felt was expected of us, a lot of behaviours that were expected of us actually weren't that much fun but we did them. For instance, I was writing about this in the Sunday Times, that I went to a pub close by on New Year's Eve in 2019, and when I say packed I don't just mean there was quite a few people there, it was literally like the London Underground packed, like someone had squashed people in. We opened the door, there was no way of going in. Now, nobody there was having a good time, I don't care what they told their friends the next day. The only reason they were there was to say "Oh God, we were in such and such a place last night and it was great craic". No it wasn't. It was awful. "

Claire Byrne: "Maybe we will feel now, or maybe we won't, but a lot of people will, that we don't have to do that anymore, or put ourselves through it"

Brenda Power: "I think going forward we will adapt to a more Scandanavian or more continental model where you have tables, with people sitting at them, and having a conversation where they can actually hear each other. A novel idea"

There are a small, but unfortunately still relevant, number of people who would like to use this as an opportunity to finish off parts of society that they don’t like.

It hopefully won’t come to pass but it’s slightly worrying. Why RTÉ are inviting newspaper columnists on to discuss these things is another matter.

These commentators or columnists don’t seem to have any nuance. If so many people want the Scandinavian mode, then you can be sure the sector will provide it if it’s lucrative. And the same applies to packed pubs. No one was forced to go to them. They fulfill a purpose and appeal to a lot of people, whether Brenda likes that or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

eskimohunt wrote: »
    To be honest, I think Brenda is spot on here.

I personally can't wait to be back in a packed pub and all the atmosphere that it brings. Same for concerts etc. The first time a band I like or even tolerate walks on stage I may just burst with excitement.

Brenda Power is the quintessential busybody. "I don't enjoy a bustling pub, neither should you". All the wishful thinking in the world isn't going to make her pedantic stance a reality. She cannot legislate for human nature, people are not ring-fenced sheep. Watch her slide into total irrelevance within weeks as punters throng the beer gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Brenda's articles in the Sunday Times are generally really spot on, she talks the truth in most cases. However I think she's overreached on this one, I don't think she can just speak for everyone in such a blanket manner.

In my 20's I loved nothing more than a rammed pub and the messiness that comes with it. However as you progress on in life (which is where Brenda is at), you tend to grow out of that kind of stuff, and prefer going for pints at 5pm in the evening and away from the crowds! Seems its just taking her a bit longer to realise that, for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know many would disagree but I'd prefer, and always would have preferred, that new vision of a night out. We'd go out drinking with friends if we could get sitting and have a conversation we could enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do you think the millions of tourists who visit Ireland for holidays during the summer stay inside for the week or fortnight or however long? No, they're out and about, enjoying it, rain or shine. And the places they go to, West and South coasts, are much rainier than in the cities where these discussions about outdoor dining relate to

I agree with yer man who said it's unfair to make businesses RELY on this weather for a business model, I think we could safely permit indoor dining seeing as it happened last year with no vaccinations..but anyway we can all enjoy a one off outdoorsy centred summer under these circumstances..I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I know many would disagree but I'd prefer, and always would have preferred, that new vision of a night out. We'd go out drinking with friends if we could get sitting and have a conversation we could enjoy.

There are lots of countries that go with table only, Sweden and Canada for example , stating statutory fire regulations .
    It's fine when meeting friends where catching up and talking is the main objective .
    But nothing can beat the rush of a crowded pub before a match or the excitement of a roaring crowd of ( mostly ) strangers watching a game or some big event on a pub screen !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Goldengirl wrote: »
    There are lots of countries that go with table only, Sweden and Canada for example , stating statutory fire regulations .
    It's fine when meeting friends where catching up and talking is the main objective .
    But nothing can beat the rush of a crowded pub before a match or the excitement of a roaring crowd of ( mostly ) strangers watching a game or some big event on a pub screen !

I don't doubt it but it was never our scene and many's a night a group of us left a pub because it was too noisy. Different strokes... I'm sure there's room for all tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Person who clearly hates crowded pubs complains about voluntarily going to a pub on New Years f**king Eve and it being crowded. Who gives these people a platform?

As for her “adapting the Scandinavian model” (as if culture is just some policy to be passed by a committee resolution), I personally can’t wait to be in a crowded pub with all the lads again chatting absolute ****e, having the craic with strangers and bumping into all sorts of randomers — and chatting ****e with them too.

There are plenty of places to have a quiet drink with friends without projecting your introversion onto others.

Person who clearly hates crowded pubs complains about voluntarily going to a pub on New Years f**king Eve and it being crowded. Who gives these people a platform?

As for her “adapting the Scandinavian model” (as if culture is just some policy to be passed by a committee resolution), I personally can’t wait to be in a crowded pub with all the lads again chatting absolute ****e, having the craic with strangers and bumping into all sorts of randomers — and chatting ****e with them too.

There are plenty of places to have a quiet drink with friends without projecting your introversion onto others.

The introvert can often hide their introversion in a packed environment and are more lost in in a less busy social environment where they are exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Allinall

Person uses a public platform to express their opinion and give out about a person using a public platform to express their opinion.

You'd have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't doubt it but it was never our scene and man's a night a group of us left a pub because it was too noisy. Different strokes... I'm sure there's room for all tastes.

Yeah . Think it's like anything here . Everybody wants what they like back to normal and the world is right then .
    Unfortunately may not happen for another while yet , at least not in the way we all want ..pubs , concerts, matches, weddings .
    Hopefully not too much longer .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I personally can’t wait to be in a crowded pub with all the lads again chatting absolute ****e, having the craic with strangers and bumping into all sorts of randomers — and chatting ****e with them too.

Rorys Stories is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

celt262 wrote: »
    Rorys Stories is that you?

Personally I hate Rory’s Stories but sure — applying Brenda’s logic — I should continue watching it knowing I will hate it, then assume that other people who watch it are also not finding it funny — then pray that we adopt the “Scandinavian Model” of craic where I never have to watch a man unfunnily re-enact the flight home from a stag again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Completely agree personally

I hate crowded pubs, prefer a quiet pint and chat, and some friends think I'm nuts that I'd rather spend €100 on lego than a night out (as someone in my late 30s) – But this idea that we could "adapt a model" from another country can only do so much. Pubs are packed every weekend because people here enjoy being in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

The thing I miss most about nights out is dancing. There literally is no better feeling than being 10 drinks in and everyone not giving a sh*te and pulling some of the dodgiest moves you could possibly imagine. Whether that be in a nightclub or pub setting, I really do miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Someone should tell Brenda that here in the real world people will go back to the way things were as soon as they get the chance.

What's the obsession with moving to the "continental model" anyway? Holohan was spouting similar nonsense at some stage from what I recall.

Advertisement