Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Polar101 wrote: »
    First time I've heard of a Scandinavian (pub/nightlife) model and I lived in that neck of the woods for decades. I think she just made it up.

Haha, my husband said the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im a bit confused but how exactly does dating work in continental europe or Scandinavia if people are not out throwing shapes and getting pissed in pubs and nightclubs. Hands up how many people you know that got married or are a couple now, that DIDNT meet in a pub or nightclub or at least pave the way for the relationship.

I was only in Liepzig once had a pint midweek two nights and was quiet as i would expect on a tuesday and wednesday night so didnt really get to expereince it much but i know if you were in the right spot in dublin on that monday and tuesday you could have a right good piss up. so what does a night out in sweden or europe look like? how do people pull? another thing i thought that Holland and germany were hot beds for djs and dance music scene even the aul vengaboys stuff, that is all fairly raucos would their not be djs in pubs in europe if that scene is so big?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Goldengirl wrote: »
    No problem.
    Used to think she was 60 about 20 years ago :pac:
    There are some people who are born ancient !

Btw, in your 30s is a young wan , take it from an oul wan !

Haha, thanks! Well when I grow up, I what to be just like you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im a bit confused but how exactly does dating work in continental europe or Scandinavia if people are not out throwing shapes and getting pissed in pubs and nightclubs. Hands up how many people you know that got married or are a couple now, that DIDNT meet in a pub or nightclub or at least pave the way for the relationship.

I was only in Liepzig once had a pint midweek two nights and was quiet as i would expect on a tuesday and wednesday night so didnt really get to expereince it much but i know if you were in the right spot in dublin on that monday and tuesday you could have a right good piss up. so what does a night out in sweden or europe look like? how do people pull? another thing i thought that Holland and germany were hot beds for djs and dance music scene even the aul vengaboys stuff, that is all fairly raucos would their not be djs in pubs in europe if that scene is so big?

Ahh they do have great pubs and discos in Europe ,and even in Sweden , we are only joking .
    Just not as good as Ireland , unless your name is Brenda

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dickie10 wrote: »

I don't get the Scandinavian comparison, Copenhagen is a decent party capital, and there's no shortage of party animals over there, OK, maybe a little more subdued than the Irish, Scots or English but not that much. Sweden and Norway maybe a bit different. Actually there is plenty of party pissheads in Oslo the time I was playing gigs there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

It’s a good question

Most of us are taking to the vaccine to return to normal, but in countries where lockdown wasn’t as strict the vaccine confidence is lower

But I would imagine as Ireland vaccinates people at negligible risk from covid that the uptake will start to diminish slightly

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/people-in-ireland-most-willing-in-eu-to-take-covid-19-vaccine-survey-1.4564007%3fmode=amp

So despite Ireland being a nation of paralytic drunk leprechaun’s we are still the most likely to take the vaccine in the EU it seems

thanks a mill for that - did a google on it but didn't find anything - cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Brenda Power on Claire Byrne Live this morning. The quality of RTE current affairs gets better and better! Doing her bit for the hospitality industry and telling us what we like and don't like while she's at it!

Brenda Power: "I can't see myself ever wanting to crowd into a pub and stand side by side with complete strangers in the sort of way that we felt was acceptable and even enjoyable when it clearly wasn't so i think a lot of things you know that we felt was expected of us, a lot of behaviours that were expected of us actually weren't that much fun but we did them. For instance, I was writing about this in the Sunday Times, that I went to a pub close by on New Year's Eve in 2019, and when I say packed I don't just mean there was quite a few people there, it was literally like the London Underground packed, like someone had squashed people in. We opened the door, there was no way of going in. Now, nobody there was having a good time, I don't care what they told their friends the next day. The only reason they were there was to say "Oh God, we were in such and such a place last night and it was great craic". No it wasn't. It was awful. "

Claire Byrne: "Maybe we will feel now, or maybe we won't, but a lot of people will, that we don't have to do that anymore, or put ourselves through it"

Brenda Power: "I think going forward we will adapt to a more Scandanavian or more continental model where you have tables, with people sitting at them, and having a conversation where they can actually hear each other. A novel idea"
    Why doesn't she just do her dry shyte carry on in her stupid asshole establishments and leave the rest of us do whatever we want far, far away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,250 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why doesn't she just do her dry shyte carry on in her stupid asshole establishments and leave the rest of us do whatever we want far, far away from her.
    I think it's a valid point. Most people don't like being squashed in a pub.
    This pandemic has made us all aware of how virus gets transmitted and more people will want to avoid places where you could pick up a bug.
    It might be good for the pub business, you might get people spread out in many pubs instead of crammed into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There'll always be busy bodies wanting other people to do xyz. This nonsense shouldn't be given weight by being discussed. Not even here.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Most people don't like being squashed in a pub.
    Then why did so many people repeatedly do it in spite of the alternative choices.

• Advertisement

Then why did so many people repeatedly do it in spite of the alternative choices.

I was one of them but I actually think that it will take me a good while, maybe years, to get back to being comfortable up at a jammed bar. And I’m not particularly Covid cautious. I’ll be happier at a table for the foreseeable

There'll always be busy bodies wanting other people to do xyz. This nonsense shouldn't be given weight by being discussed. Not even here.

I think it’s valid and a lot of people will take a long time to be comfortable again in a jam packed bar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its been over a year of busybodies wanting other people to do xyz.

People could always have taken action to avoid certain things if they wanted, but that was never enough, they needed everybody else to climb under that bed with them.

I know that I for one won't be living a life where every other other human being is seen as a virus transmitter. What a pathetic miserable existence it would be to live in fear like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

According to our betters they actually didn't enjoy bars like that, even if they say they did.

And now they are saying that we will enjoy their vision of bars instead, even if we don't know it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,250 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Peer pressure?

Skin hunger.

And after two years of isolation it is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it's a valid point. Most people don't like being squashed in a pub.
    This pandemic has made us all aware of how virus gets transmitted and more people will want to avoid places where you could pick up a bug.
    It might be good for the pub business, you might get people spread out in many pubs instead of crammed into one.

Avoid places where you could pick up a bug? So...everywhere then? You're just as likely to pick up a bug sitting at a table in a non packed pub than in a packed one. Everyone is still breathing the same air and using the same toilets.

Good luck to those people on a quest to never get sick again, I'm sure their immune systems will thank them (they wont)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Avoid places where you could pick up a bug? So...everywhere then? You're just as likely to pick up a bug sitting at a table in a non packed pub than in a packed one. Everyone is still breathing the same air and using the same toilets.

Good luck to those people on a quest to never get sick again, I'm sure their immune systems will thank them (they wont)

I have no doubt that lockdown and wfh and all the rest has weakened the immune systems of people noticeably on a whole. You could say it has weakened public health. Thats before we talk about depression and weight gain and muscle loss and way before we talk about delayed diagnosis's and whatnot. Just our immune systems. The very thing we need to fight viruses.

Wouldnt be one bit surprised if next winter people will go down with all sorts of flus and fevers.

If some people had their way we’d all be working at home, all sat very sensibly in a bar on a night out with no mingling.

Is that really the kind of society and culture we want to create? I’m sure if most of think back to when we started working, our best days were after work drinks with your colleagues whom you had gotten to know over work chats, and then hitting a pub/bar Friday evening with the other after work crowds and then on to a late bar/nightclub, and whatever craic that would bring. Monday then discussing what went down and any gossip from the night.

It would be a shame if that ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

I honestly can't understand these people saying they didn't get a cold in the last year so they'll continue wearing masks and avoiding crowds.

They'll just end up with a terrible immune system. Is it really that big a deal to get a cold or two every year?

There have also been studies indicating that people who get lots of colds have more immunity to covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If some people had their way we’d all be working at home, all sat very sensibly in a bar on a night out with no mingling.

Is that really the kind of society and culture we want to create? I’m sure if most of think back to when we started working, our best days were after work drinks with your colleagues whom you had gotten to know over work chats, and then hitting a pub/bar Friday evening with the other after work crowds and then on to a late bar/nightclub, and whatever craic that would bring. Monday then discussing what went down and any gossip from the night.

It would be a shame if that ended.

I have seen the opposite, with people wanting to force people in offices and long commutes for dubious benefits. Plenty of people have social lives outside of the office, and maybe they could spend more time doing that, if they weren't stuck in pointless commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

eh?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

wes wrote: »
    I have seen the opposite, with people wanting to force people in offices and long commutes for dubious benefits. Plenty of people have social lives outside of the office, and maybe they could spend more time doing that, if they weren't stuck in pointless commutes.

I’m talking about young people at the beginning of their careers who may be renting with a few others, and who don’t have a long cummute

VG31 wrote: »
    I honestly can't understand these people saying they didn't get a cold in the last year so they'll continue wearing masks and avoiding crowds.

They'll just end up with a terrible immune system. Is it really that big a deal to get a cold or two every year?

There have also been studies indicating that people who get lots of colds have more immunity to covid.

It’s scary. The “new normal” may become a thing after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You're just as likely to pick up a bug sitting at a table in a non packed pub than in a packed one.
    I'm curious to hear the evidence/rationale for this one, Dr Ceadaoin..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,470 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

VG31 wrote: »
    I honestly can't understand these people saying they didn't get a cold in the last year so they'll continue wearing masks and avoiding crowds. They'll just end up with a terrible immune system. Is it really that big a deal to get a cold or two every year?

Was it not that if you had a cold it actively blocked covid - but only temporarily?

I'd think about wearing masks on public transport in flu season, especially coming up to Christmas, if I hadn't gotten the vaccine or it was a bust that year.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was it not that if you had a cold it actively blocked covid - but only temporarily?

Yes but pre-existing immunity from colds can also reduce the severity of covid infections.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/common-cold-coronaviruses-tied-to-less-severe-covid-19-cases-68146

I’m talking about young people at the beginning of their careers who may be renting with a few others, and who don’t have a long cummute

That is not always the case, and very often isn't, as people at the start of their careers, don't necessarily have the money to rent near where they work.

Also, younger people tend to have more friends outside where they work. Not everyone wants to hang out with people they work with. Not every workplace has a sufficient cohort of young people either.

Sorry, but the social aspect is bull, and its very often forced on people, who would rather be elsewhere.

wes wrote: »
    That is not always the case, and very often isn't, as people at the start of their careers, don't necessarily have the money to rent near where they work.

Also, younger people tend to have more friends outside where they work. Not everyone wants to hang out with people they work with. Not every workplace has a sufficient cohort of young people either.

Sorry, but the social aspect is bull, and its very often forced on people, who would rather be elsewhere.

And where do a lot of young people meet their friends when they reach young adulthood? College (where they bond through nights out and parties), in work, on nights out through other friends, i.e being social!

I would say the majority of young people who rent with other housemates, rent somewhere not too far out of town as they want to experience city living for the social aspect - that why places like Rathmines and Phibsboro are always popular with young people from the country.

• Advertisement

And where do a lot of young people meet their friends when they reach young adulthood? College (where they bond through nights out and parties), in work, on nights out through other friends, i.e being social!

And those nights outs can happen just fine, without dragging people into an office. A lot of younger people, use stuff like Tinder etc to date, and are use to getting to know people online.
    I would say the majority of young people who rent with other housemates, rent somewhere not too far out of town as they want to experience city living for the social aspect - that why places like Rathmines and Phibsboro are always popular with young people from the country.

Yeah, and those prices have gone up hugely these days, and its not possible for a lot of young people.

The social aspect of the office is over rated hugely by some, who probably spent most of their time not working it seems.

Advertisement