Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus this NPHET briefing

That's the difference between here and the UK, whatever you think about Johnson he is in charge of the response to the pandemic there.

Mr Martin should be to the fore here instead of hiding behind Mr Holohan letting him give the bad news which should NOT be the case.

This did NOT need to be communicated as if we were facing armageddon ffs!

Next we will be thinking whats the point of getting these vaccines if there is no guarantee they will work as they are supposed to!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

shinzon wrote: »
    From Sky news timeline timeline timestamped 12.53

Shin

Yes, doesn't resist vaccines and doesn't cause more serious illness. Werent you told not to post here again ? Burner account

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It would be a disaster if these new Variants cause us to stop the relaxing of the restrictions

Lets hope its not the case as personally like many i won't be able for another big setback

Hes now going against the science, against the WHO. How is he allowed spout this crap unchallenged. Disgrace

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1395747873350987783?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hes now going against the science, against the WHO. How is he allowed spout this crap unchallenged. Disgrace

Once you give someone that power its hard to take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anything for the lovely RTE soundbyte

Honestly, todays press conference has me more concerned than any other time over the last 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

This is a problem now when you have people listening to this crap and they will turn around and say sure what’s the point in the vaccine if it’s not working or proven to work against different strains.
    Constant fear even after we were told the vaccine should be affective in this case.
    A lot of people listening to him only want to hear the bad news , what have they against the hospitality industry when you can see already they are looking or thinking of ways to keep them closed.
    They are increasingly sounding like they couldn’t care less if hotels , restaurants and pubs remained permanently closed which is a very strange stance for any government to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NPHET will no longer have weekly briefings. They haven't recommended any alterations to the easing of restrictions. They've expressed concern about a sublineage of a variant that pretty much every scientific publication and public health entity has been doing. This will likely take a few more weeks.

I'm not seeing the great fuss here. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Turtwig wrote: »
    NPHET will no longer have weekly briefings. They haven't recommended any alterations to the easing of restrictions. They've expressed concern about a sublineage of a variant that pretty much every scientific publication and public health entity has been doing. This will likely take a few more weeks.

I agree. He was just stating the obvious and wasn't calling for any new measures. Some people now just want to complain about Holohan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Sure wasn't someone from the WHO saying in the Irish examiner all kinds of crap without proof. What WHO say as a collective is vastly different than what its members say. Any way, it will be interesting to see what information PHE release today in regards to vaccine efficacy on the Indian variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Werent you told not to post here again ? Burner account

No and No

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭corkie

Didn't see today's cases posted in thread yet?
    corkie wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1395742548975570946

524 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed
    this number of cases may change due to future data validation
    107 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 38 are in ICU.
    There have been 19 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some posters probably need to stop following Covid. Nothing really happened today and some are angry at the negativity. The UK have had to deal with much more news about the Indian Variant than us here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wes wrote: »
    I have seen the opposite, with people wanting to force people in offices and long commutes for dubious benefits. Plenty of people have social lives outside of the office, and maybe they could spend more time doing that, if they weren't stuck in pointless commutes.
    Using one solution like managing COVID, to solve one in a completely unrelated area invariably brings in the law of unintended consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Turtwig wrote: »

First of all a lot of people, more so the older population, listen to all NPHET and government comments on Covid. I know a lot of people who actually don't want to answer the phone to their parents anymore because the first thing they'll hear is did you see the numbers today or did you hear about this new variant resistant to the vaccines etc. A lot of people still have a lot of fear still to covid here and a lot of it is from the messaging coming from our officials. They know their words carry a lot of power so they should be very careful in their messaging so as not to cause unnecessary worry to a lot of people.

I'm this instance, Tony Holohan mentioned worrying news from UK on this variant possibly being vaccine resistant. This forum has a lot of knowledgeable posters and I haven't seen what Tony said being posted here, in fact I have seen links to comments of the opposite. That the vast majority of the Indian variant cases in the UK are in unvaccinated people. Do you not find his comments a little worrying? Some people will hear this and worry over the whole weekend that we are all going back to where we were in January as the vaccines are no good against this variant. I know this isn't what Tony said but that's what happens when you aren't careful with your words on a subject as worrying to so many people as covid is.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Well I've had enough of reading about the virus for this week. Had the Pfizer jab on Wednesday so I can't complain. Heading out at 5pm to collect a takeaway (the Indian variety) and a few beers. Probably more likely to be the death of me than covid. Have a nice weekend everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Klonker wrote: »

First of all a lot of people, more so the older population, listen to all NPHET and government comments on Covid. I know a lot of people who actually don't want to answer the phone to their parents anymore because the first thing they'll hear is did you see the numbers today or did you hear about this new variant resistant to the vaccines etc. A lot of people still have a lot of fear still to covid here and a lot of it is from the messaging coming from our officials. They know their words carry a lot of power so they should be very careful in their messaging so as not to cause unnecessary worry to a lot of people.

I'm this instance, Tony Holohan mentioned worrying news from UK on this variant possibly being vaccine resistant. This forum has a lot of knowledgeable posters and I haven't seen what Tony said being posted here, in fact I have seen links to comments of the opposite. That the vast majority of the Indian variant cases in the UK are in unvaccinated people. Do you not find his comments a little worrying? Some people will hear this and worry over the whole weekend that we are all going back to where we were in January as the vaccines are no good against this variant. I know this isn't what Tony said but that's what happens when you aren't careful with your words on a subject as worrying to so many people as covid is.

It seems like you're just looking for a reason to moan tbh.

Would you preferred he lied to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

NPHET have been saying they were "genuinely concerned" every day for the last 15 months. It's a case of boy who cried wolf at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It seems like you're just looking for a reason to moan tbh.

Would you preferred he lied to you?

He is saying data from UK is showing that the variant is showing a resistance to the vaccines. Unless just Tony has this data and no one else in the world so far as its the first time I've seen it mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pawdee wrote:
    Well I've had enough of reading about the virus for this week. Had the Pfizer jab on Wednesday so I can't complain. Heading out at 5pm to collect a takeaway (the Indian variety) and a few beers. Probably more likely to be the death of me than covid. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Don't go too heavy on the beers. Alcohol impedes the antibodies and the Pfizer vaccine takes about a week to fully develop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Honestly, todays press conference has me more concerned than any other time over the last 14 months.

Deeply concerning.

The next 2 weeks are "critical" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He is saying data from UK is showing that the variant is showing a resistance to the vaccines. Unless just Tony has this data and no one else in the world so far as its the first time I've seen it mentioned.

He never said that.

EDIT, get you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

George is flapping his wings again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

George is flapping his wings again

Hopefully he'll fly away and we'll never hear from him again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

First Up wrote: »
    Don't go too heavy on the beers. Alcohol impedes the antibodies and the Pfizer vaccine takes about a week to fully develop them.

Any evidence of that? Anything I've read online suggests there's no evidence it impedes creation of antibodies. The only thing I've read was go easy on the alcohol in case you get a hangover and side effects together as you'll feel worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

So you think hes making it up?

Nphet really cant win it seems. If they dont keep us updated on the epidemiological situation they're accused of lacking transparency, and if they do mention anything of concern, they're accused of fear mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

pawdee wrote: »

What kind of beer, Corona? :D

Back on to the emotional rollercoaster I go. Today's feeling is fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Could someone give a brief summary of what was said at the press conference - why are people on here so concerned?

Advertisement