Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

But he's "genuinely" concerned today. So all the previous was lies!
    He's thrown Genuinely in to it id say he's serious this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Haha, save the world

The world wasn’t ending at any stage because of covid :pac:

Maybe not but without a vaccine we were n't exactly thriving .

Anyway do you work for nothing , and if you had a great product would you be getting all altruistic on us and giving it away for diddley squat?
    I seem to remember you talking a lot last year about the economy and markets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Maybe not but without a vaccine we were n't exactly thriving .

Anyway do you work for nothing , and if you had a great product would you be getting all altruistic on us and giving it away for diddley squat?
    I seem to remember you talking a lot last year about the economy and markets ?

No of course I wouldn’t, and I never said otherwise

If anything, you are now supporting the point I made all along, without vast sums of money there is no healthcare

Yourself and a few others forgot that along the way, I just like to remind you every now and again

Sometimes, virtue signalling alone won’t cut the mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Eod100 wrote: »

Gutted by this.

Was really, really hoping to see family in the UK in July. I can't get enough time off to self isolate and apparently being fully vaccinated doesn't exclude me from having to isolate and do a negative test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The UK variant was concerning . The Brazil variant was concerning ,the South African variant was concerning . The Danish mink were concerning
    We survived them all without a vaccine and with a vaccine will survive the Indian one .
    The negativity is seriously draining at this stage to be honest . RTE thrive on it for some inexplicable reason

I had forgotten about the Danish mink.... That was gonna end us all for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

harr wrote: »
    A lot of older people don’t read beyond a headline and watch RTÉ exclusively for news so what a lot are hearing is scaremongering .

I think that's ridiculous. If someone is scared by RTE or the news, they shouldn't watch it. Or maybe someone can start a news channel that only sugarcoats stories, so people won't get worried. These aren't the best of times, so a lot of the news isn't going to be good. But there's no need for news to be condescending.

"Some bombs landed on Gaza, but it was a lovely, sunny day out there."

• Registered Users Posts: 86,218 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So the positivity from NPHET & the continued reopening of the country didn’t last long....

Why are they out with this nonsense that’s perfectly timed when there’s talk of travel bubbles, EU green certs and other positive developments from outside of Ireland.

1. Vaccines work better against the Indian variant B1617.2 than they do against the South African variant.
    2. It doesn’t appear as transmissible as first feared. It is possibly comparable to B117.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1395335070215454721?s=21

Older vaccinated people are safe & are just starting to enjoy life again. This kind of rhetoric does nothing only adversely affect & frighten the vulnerable groups who most likely are vaccinated at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

harr wrote: »
    A lot of older people don’t read beyond a headline and watch RTÉ exclusively for news so what a lot are hearing is scaremongering .
    A lot of older people were nearly locked up for a year and only getting back to some normality now .. so when they hear a Doctor say “ a black cloud on the Horizon “ it frightens them.
    Not everyone has the capability of going looking for facts and figures in the appropriate place and only have George Lee to listen to.

A lot of older people actually read the article as opposed to younger people who's attention spans have been wrecked by social media and hence only pay attention to headlines and then go and get triggered.
    But yeah carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Did I see something about Holohan only getting vaccinated today?

It seems ludicrous to me if he's a healthcare worker, although he is probably happy enough to spread doom from his high horse rather than actually help with the vaccine rollout as a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It seems ludicrous to me if he's a healthcare worker, although he is probably happy enough to spread doom from his high horse rather than actually help with the vaccine rollout as a doctor.

Or maybe he's just serving a dose of realism? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

NPHET on the one hand deem the situation not serious enough to meet weekly anymore but on the other hand come out with the usual scariant stuff just in time for people going into their weekends and for discussions on the further lifting of restrictions early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

JP100 wrote: »
    NPHET on the one hand deem the situation not serious enough to meet weekly anymore but on the other hand come out with the usual scariant stuff just in time for people going into their weekends and for discussions on the further lifting of restrictions early next week.

And managed to upset a lot of people with family in the UK . We were all looking forward to seeing family ,kids , grandchildren , sisters and brothers after nearly 18 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »

Meh not all too concerned by this. We'll have the EU travel pass by mid July time, after that free to go where you want. Only about 6 or 7 weeks to go.

Meh not all too concerned by this. We'll have the EU travel pass by mid July time, after that free to go where you want. Only about 6 or 7 weeks to go.

I am and lots of people with family in the UK ?

Haha, keep going , cracking up with some of these comments :D

And managed to upset a lot of people with family in the UK . We were all looking forward to seeing family ,kids , grandchildren , sisters and brothers after nearly 18 months .

Doubt if it will be applying to those vaccinated .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I am and lots of people with family in the UK ?

Yes and in a few weeks time it'll be possible. Nothing realistically was going to happen before July time anyway.

Let's see what next weeks announcement brings. Mood music is still UK travel start of July, EU travel to follow soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Lines are regularly thrown out at this stage now by NPHET with very little empathy for what alot of people have gone through and are continuing to go through during this pandemic. They're behaving like robots at this stage and expecting us to do likewise while our politicians continue to hide behind the sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm literally banging my head off a wall listening to the radio stations letting da gascin and co say if the Indian variant evades the vaccine were in trouble even though we have had the vaccine manufacturers come out today saying that won't happen.

Am I living in a parallel universe here?

How are they allowed get way with this on air?

Blatent lies. Its scandalous.

Lying on the airwaves to the whole nation.

Yes and in a few weeks time it'll be possible. Nothing realistically was going to happen before July time anyway.

Let's see what next weeks announcement brings. Mood music is still UK travel start of July, EU travel to follow soon after.

Thanks . I am just upset tonight with this nonsense being peddled . I just need to see my daughter in the UK and she needs to see us . She can not isolate for 5 days as she would only be able to stay here for 3-5 days .
    Thankfully she is vaccinated with one dise of AZ and second one in July

Fingers crossed cause I've already booked time off and flights for the second week of July to the UK :( I'm fully vaccinated so figured it'd PROBABLY be okay by then and a sibling needs me there to help with something important

shinzon wrote: »
    From Sky news timeline timeline timestamped 12.53

Shin

Do you have any opinion on what you post?

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Fingers crossed cause I've already booked time off and flights for the second week of July to the UK :( I'm fully vaccinated so figured it'd PROBABLY be okay by then and a sibling needs me there to help with something important

Are we on their red list? Surely not

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Are we on their red list? Surely not

No, not at all.

It's quarantine when I come home that's the issue. It was a major struggle to get enough time off to do what's needed to be done, if I have to quarantine when I come home, I have to cancel unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Meanwhile is California...

https://twitter.com/independent_ie/status/1395854460061196290?s=21

Approx 35 million doses administered, so assuming two shot vaccines - approx 80% adult population first dose, or 50% of adult population fully completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,218 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it 72 cases of Indian variant here?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it 72 cases of Indian variant here?
    Yes. Most of these are via random sequencing rather than targeted sequencing of cases from hotel quarantine/arrivals so there is certainly more than 72 cases in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Advertisement