Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Based on reports it seems that the South African variant is more likely to escape vaccines rather than the Indian one.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1396015157231357952

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'm literally banging my head off a wall listening to the radio stations letting da gascin and co say if the Indian variant evades the vaccine were in trouble even though we have had the vaccine manufacturers come out today saying that won't happen.

Am I living in a parallel universe here?

How are they allowed get way with this on air?

Blatent lies. Its scandalous.

Lying on the airwaves to the whole nation.

Boy who cried wolf situation, they have shown that they will insinuate that a variant evades the vaccine when there is proof otherwise, the next time they insinuate that who will listen???

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

wadacrack wrote: »
    Based on reports it seems that the South African variant is more likely to escape vaccines rather than the Indian one.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1396015157231357952

Qatar's wave of infection has largely abated now, they're around the same level as us with cases per population, and only a few weeks ahead in terms of vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Good to see none of the rags ran with the scary variant story on their front pages.. strange that is the case. Usually they’d have it plastered!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Good to see none of the rags ran with the scary variant story on their front pages.. strange that is the case. Usually they’d have it plastered!

Yet posters still bring it up on here and discuss the negativity for the day. Strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yet posters still bring it up on here and discuss the negativity for the day. Strange

Our CMO and NPHET who have been advising our every move throughout the pandemic are the ones who have been reporting on it.

"black clouds on the horizon" is how Tony Holahan described it.
    And went on to say the PHE had data that will likely show that there would be a decrease in the effectiveness of the vaccine against transmition.

So it Is certainly relevent to discuss what he has said on this forum, it is a bit worrying that he would say these things when details about what PHE were not even released at that point. People will say yea but it is better he tells us the truth. But he does seem to be scaremongering with the way he said it.
    And I am someone who has agreed with most of how they have handled things so far.

Hopefully that will dispel any black clouds on the horizon, most of the general public have had it to here with negativity and "concern" after 14 months. The vaccines are proving their weight in gold, let us never contemplate lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Hopefully that will dispel any black clouds on the horizon, most of the general public have had it to here with negativity and "concern" after 14 months. The vaccines are proving their weight in gold, let us never contemplate lockdown again.

So all in - another panic. So we hold our nerve - gradual reopening and get as many vaccines into arms as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

at this point with vulnerable and 50+ vaccinated, the IFR of covid in Ireland must be nearly that of the regular flu surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0522/1223126-fergal-bowers-coronavirus/
    Because of the cyber attack, last week there was no detailed update on the vaccination roll-out, limited Covid-19 case details and hospital activity and delayed updates to regular reports posted on the Health Protection Surveillance Centre website.

The government is due to have a meeting on the drawing-up of a plan for gradual re-opening over June and July next Friday.

Does the cyber-attack hinder the government's ability to draw-up that plan, given what I've quoted in this post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Our CMO and NPHET who have been advising our every move throughout the pandemic are the ones who have been reporting on it.

"black clouds on the horizon" is how Tony Holahan described it.
    And went on to say the PHE had data that will likely show that there would be a decrease in the effectiveness of the vaccine against transmition.

So it Is certainly relevent to discuss what he has said on this forum, it is a bit worrying that he would say these things when details about what PHE were not even released at that point. People will say yea but it is better he tells us the truth. But he does seem to be scaremongering with the way he said it.
    And I am someone who has agreed with most of how they have handled things so far.

Agree 100% . Very poor description from Holohan and blatant misreporting by RTE .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

cheezums wrote: »
    at this point with vulnerable and 50+ vaccinated, the IFR of covid in Ireland must be nearly that of the regular flu surely?

50+ nowhere near vaccinated yet - some parts of the country haven't finished the 60+ cohort yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0522/1223126-fergal-bowers-coronavirus/

The government is due to have a meeting on the drawing-up of a plan for gradual re-opening over June and July next Friday.

Does the cyber-attack hinder the government's ability to draw-up that plan, given what I've quoted in this post?

I suspect they have internal reports on all these metrics, probably not detailed enough for public scrutiny tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is essentially what Holohan said yesterday without the figures " we have to examine the data first " , so he must have known this .
    Why then did he play up the negativity and bs about black clouds with George Lee when he knew he would run with any bit of negativity ?

Very unfair to leave people like that worrying over something that isn't going to change anything over here as long as we all get our 2 jabs .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This is essentially what Holohan said yesterday without the figures " we have to examine the data first " , so he must have known this .
    Why then did he play up the negativity and bs about black clouds with George Lee when he knew he would run with any bit of negativity ?

Very unfair to leave people like that worrying over something that isn't going to change anything over here as long as we all get our 2 jabs .

Because that's what he wanted to happen. NPHET are very against international travel at any point in the medium term future and I can't see them liking all this talk of international travel that's being discussed over the last week or two and will be talked about more in the coming weeks. This was their way of putting a dampener on that and unfortunately it might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1396032519536005120

Cannot be too difficult to get the numbers of vaccinated out if Reid is tweeting them. I wonder is the reluctance to do with the amount vaccinated and falling behind their own timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Someone in HSE or Department of Health communications really needs to manually update information to the various sites tracking international vaccine rollouts. Ireland is looking like a serious laggard due to lack of data due to the hack and it has both domestic political consequences and consequences for people making business decisions.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1396032519536005120

Cannot be too difficult to get the numbers of vaccinated out if Reid is tweeting them. I wonder is the reluctance to do with the amount vaccinated and falling behind their own timelines.

Or maybe there’s another reason there is trouble getting accurate information compiled at the moment. Any ideas?

Someone in HSE or Department of Health communications really needs to manually update information to the various sites tracking international vaccine rollouts. Ireland is looking like a serious laggard due to lack of data due to the hack and it has both domestic political consequences and consequences for people making business decisions.

The “sites” are essentially keen amateurs not any official records. I would treat the data from any country on them as provisional at best

The “sites” are essentially keen amateurs not any official records. I would treat the data from any country on them as provisional at best

I’m just seeing a lot of people going into off the deep end “only in Ireland” commentary due to going off stats that are up to 10 days out of date and being compared to accurate states from the rest of the EU.

At the very least they need to be greyed out until further notice.

All they’re going to do by getting accurate data out is fuel conspiracy theories, public anger, decisions being made on the basis that it looks like Ireland is way behind when it isn’t and just generally making people feel hopeless too.

It needs to be sorted.

Computa Says No! isn’t an acceptable response, particularly when they obviously have the data if senior officials are tweeting.

Basic communications stuff! Really this is “An introduction to pubic relations - 101”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just wondering if the Numbers per County have stopped being released ?
    If No - where can I find them ?

TIA

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the Numbers per County have stopped being released ?
    If No - where can I find them ?

TIA

I don't think there's been a county breakdown available since about 14th May, when the HSE were hacked.
    The number of cases being issued daily is actually the number of swabs, as that's all they have for now.

Do they actually have any data or are we running blind at the moment?

While hacks happen, this really is looking like a monumental level of incompetence. I had zero faith in the HSE being able to do this properly and it seems like my hunch was correct.

Reports on Twitter that people in their 40s are being turned away because they’re under 50, having been offered J&J by the portal despite all the days of discussion about how J&J is going to available to them if mRNA options aren’t.

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1396099558657204224?s=21

Do they actually have any data or are we running blind at the moment?

While hacks happen, this really is looking like a monumental level of incompetence. I had zero faith in the HSE being able to do this properly and it seems like my hunch was correct.

Reports on Twitter that people in their 40s are being turned away because they’re under 50, having been offered J&J by the portal despite all the days of discussion about how J&J is going to available to them if mRNA options aren’t.

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1396099558657204224?s=21

Is that because people could register once they were in their 50th year?
    I was able to register as a 60 yr old although I won't be 60 till later in the year

Nothing to do with that. They seem to be getting turned down on the basis that J&J is not for under 50s, despite the change in policy to allow it to be used if mRNA wasn’t available.

They seem to have been just turned away, despite having all the valid appointments.

The 40s cohort is being dosed at the moment.

Seems the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Or maybe there’s another reason there is trouble getting accurate information compiled at the moment. Any ideas?

Why is he tweeting numbers then? I presume he is getting them from some source or do you think he is just making them up?

Why is he tweeting numbers then? I presume he is getting them from some source or do you think he is just making them up?

Because he has a guesstimate based on scheduled vaccinations as the booking system is not impacted.

Or maybe it’s because they are hiding the real numbers. What do you really think is more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He did say approx.

He didn't state any definitive numbers and for a perfectly obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agreed, but the priority is getting medical services back online at the moment. A tracker is lower priority than that, much as we'd love to know the numbers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nothing to do with that. They seem to be getting turned down on the basis that J&J is not for under 50s, despite the change in policy to allow it to be used if mRNA wasn’t available.

They seem to have been just turned away, despite having all the valid appointments.

The 40s cohort is being dosed at the moment.

Seems the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.
    You'd expect J&J to be used for the over 50s first and there are plenty of them left. Supplies are not that large at present but there may be scope for the over 45s in a few weeks' time, when they'll start getting vaccinations in much larger numbers anyway. There is also talk of putting J&J into pharmacies.
    That said, it's also possible that Pfizer/Moderna will take care of our needs and we'll be done with J&J sooner than planned.

Advertisement