Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Very insensitive behaviour yesterday describing the Indian variant that way. If I was a vulnerable person reading those headlines I would now be concerned about my vaccine status potentially not actually protecting me, and would not be totally comfortable going back to living normally knowing it's began to circulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Sorry if it's been asked, don't want to read entire thread. Anyone know the deal on vaccine efficacy on preventing transmission, and if it varies by strain? We're next door to my parents who have kind of let their guard down completely since being vaccinated, but OH is at risk group and I'm pregnant and worried about covid related placentitis. Just not sure if we should distance from them until the baby is here and we both have our vaccines! I don't have the energy to argue with them every time they go out for "essentials" like pots of paint and cake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Agreed, but the priority is getting medical services back online at the moment. A tracker is lower priority than that, much as we'd love to know the numbers!

There are huge government communication units that could handle this that will in absolutely no way undermine the ability for the HSE to respond.

You don’t need HSE staff or IT consultants going checking websites and contacting them, but surely some unit in some government department can do so.

Literally 1 or 2 communication officers could resolve this!

Just keep the public information flowing and ensure that you don’t have inaccurate or out of date info appearing on various highly visited sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Antares35 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked, don't want to read entire thread. Anyone know the deal on vaccine efficacy on preventing transmission, and if it varies by strain? We're next door to my parents who have kind of let their guard down completely since being vaccinated, but OH is at risk group and I'm pregnant and worried about covid related placentitis. Just not sure if we should distance from them until the baby is here and we both have our vaccines! I don't have the energy to argue with them every time they go out for "essentials" like pots of paint and cake :D
    That whole child becoming the parent turnaround is a shock to system! There are no real issues with variants at present but there is constant worry and genuine concern.
    Even if there might be a risk of transmission, all vaccines prevent serious illness. I think you've answered your own questions about visits but keep after them about the cake!

is_that_so wrote: »
    That whole child becoming the parent turnaround is a shock to system! There are no real issues with variants at present the constant worry and genuine concern.
    Even if there might be a risk of transmission, all vaccines prevent serious illness. I think you've answered your own questions about visits but keep after them about the cake!

So their vaccine will prevent serious illness in them but they could still in theory transmit to us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Antares35 wrote: »
    So their vaccine will prevent serious illness in them but they could still in theory transmit to us?
    Ongoing data on it suggest it's a very small risk. Here's GAVI on it.

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduce-transmission-how-does-work

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

is_that_so wrote: »

I would not consider half the risk to be "very small". That risk reduction has a massive effect at population level, not so much at individual level.

If I was in that position I wouldn't be spending time indoors with them.

Lumen wrote: »
    I would not consider half the risk to be "very small". That risk reduction has a massive effect at population level, not so much at individual level.

If I was in that position I wouldn't be spending time indoors with them.

This is my concern. They keep going on about statistics and that (my parents that is) and I know the risk is low, but I think about the 11 women who had stillbirths, many of whom were asymptomatic, and I think statistics are a cold comfort when your baby is one of them :( last week they allowed in visitors who "were ok as they were vaccinated". When I asked them for more details it turned out their visitors had one dose of AZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A tracker is lower priority than that, much as we'd love to know the numbers!

There is the small matter of hundreds of thousands of people still being affected by restrictions, which are reportedly in place based on those numbers. It isn't exactly just idle curiosity that has people wanting to know what they are.

Personally there is one thing and one thing only that I want to know, and that is how many people have died because of covid in May. Because if that number is back to effectively zero then why the **** are we still talking about only possibly relaxing restrictions in July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

Numbers for today 22nd May.
    corkie wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1396131486500331524

As of midnight, Friday 21st May, the @hpscireland
    has been notified of 381* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

110 in hospital. 42 in ICU.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data validation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

The Department of Health has been notified of 381 new cases of Covid-19.
    The number of people being treated in intensive care with the virus is 42, up four from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is the small matter of hundreds of thousands of people still being affected by restrictions, which are reportedly in place based on those numbers. It isn't exactly just idle curiosity that has people wanting to know what they are.

Personally there is one thing and one thing only that I want to know, and that is how many people have died because of covid in May. Because if that number is back to effectively zero then why the **** are we still talking about only possibly relaxing restrictions in July and August.

Thats a poor enough metric to judge things on.

The only game in town is protecting the health service from unmanageable surges. Everything else is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The only game in town is protecting the health service from unmanageable surges.....

In that case restrictions cease now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

All the different things which threaten the health service at any given time are not necessarily our responsibility forever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

corkie wrote: »
    Numbers for today 22nd May.

Have they expressed any concerns that ICU figures up a bit? Wasn't it down into the 30's at some point, now 42?

Edit: I know, they are always concerned, but I mean especially, or "genuinely" concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,218 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ICU increase is a worry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    ICU increase is a worry

Depends on the circumstances. If they're unvaccinated and high risk then it's not that much of a worry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ICU increase is a worry

110 in hospital. All very steady. No spike there

We can't be worrying every time numbers go up a little from a low base.

The hospitals are doing very well given the hurdles they've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

ICU increase is a worry

It's unfortunate for the people who are involved and I wish them a full and speedy recovery, but if the numbers in hospital aren't increasing, it just means that a small number of patients have moved from needing hospital support into needing full ICU support. That is a pattern with serous COVID. It doesn't mean the situation is getting generally worse.

The only significant figure is the numbers ending up in hospital in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Have they stopped reporting deaths or has there been none in awhile? It seems quite a few reports since I've seen deaths reported. I might be wrong tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Vicxas wrote: »
    Depends on the circumstances. If they're unvaccinated and high risk then it's not that much of a worry

You don't end up in I CU unless you are extremely sick :confused:

110 in hospital. All very steady. No spike there

We can't be worrying every time numbers go up a little from a low base.

The hospitals are doing very well given the hurdles they've had.

Yes, but Limerick is under pressure and it is as a result of Eid celebrations .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

NPHET have been saying they were "genuinely concerned" every day for the last 15 months. It's a case of boy who cried wolf at this stage.

I had to laugh at 'genuinely concerned'. Ist that opposed to the other times where they were just pretending to be concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People need to stop posting 'worry' posts every time numbers go up a bit. Some are perpetually worried when there's any movement upwards, no matter what longer trends show.

Corholio wrote: »
    People need to stop posting 'worry' posts every time numbers go up a bit. Some are perpetually worried when there's any movement upwards, no matter what longer trends show.

Some people know when to be worried, others just worry, some never worry and others are worried but just minimise, all sorts here !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Some people know when to be worried, others just worry, some never worry and others are worried but just minimise, all sorts here !

A worrying combination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Are you worried?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yes, but Limerick is under pressure and it is as a result of Eid celebrations .

Really? Is there a large community there (genuinely not aware)

Are you worried?

Not generally :D

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Really? Is there a large community there (genuinely not aware)

Same as every city in Irelsnd really .

Advertisement