Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK doing sewage testing for the new variant.

Sewage samples are being tested to determine which Covid-19 variants are most prevalent across regions accounting for two-thirds of England’s population.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/22/sewage-samples-being-tested-across-england-to-monitor-covid-variants

We did run a pilot sometime last year and it seems there is now a programme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-to-start-testing-wastewater-to-detect-covid-19-levels-in-community-1.4552546

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Worrying times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Worrying times

I always worry when someone says that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Corholio wrote: »
    People need to stop posting 'worry' posts every time numbers go up a bit. Some are perpetually worried when there's any movement upwards, no matter what longer trends show.

Yes ,it would be great if there were fewer keyboard worriers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

is_that_so wrote: »

There's a more detailed article in the Irish Examiner:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40278677.html

It actually takes in 68 catchment area, including in Cork: the city, Ballincollig, Clonakilty, Cork Lower Harbour, Fermoy, Mallow, Midleton and Youghal.

Seems quite comprehensive if that's what's being replicated in all 68 locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

100 cases so far at Mt.Everest base camp in Nepal.
    No surprise considering the numbers in the country, the cramped living conditions (small tents) at base camp and weakened immune system from altitude.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/climbing-guide-says-coronavirus-outbreak-mount-everest-has-infected-least-n1268239

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

coastwatch wrote: »
    100 cases so far at Mt.Everest base camp in Nepal.
    No surprise considering the numbers in the country, the cramped living conditions (small tents) at base camp and weakened immune system from altitude.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/climbing-guide-says-coronavirus-outbreak-mount-everest-has-infected-least-n1268239

Read that in one of the papers earlier this week. Tourists hauling bottles of o2 up a mountain and poor devils dying in hospitals for lack of o2.
    World gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

What are the hospital admission numbers like for this week compared to last ? If their is a spike their might be a bit concerning. If not then it could just be variance than ICU has gone up.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Read that in one of the papers earlier this week. Tourists hauling bottles of o2 up a mountain and poor devils dying in hospitals for lack of o2.
    World gone mad.

Not quite as simple as that. The tourist dollars yay Everest expeditions bring in (and it is substantial) are crucial for local economies and, yes, that includes hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 86,219 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Temple Bar Dublin is in the news again over crowds gathered for take away pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Great to see

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Wonderful.

People back at work, business getting back up and running and the public at large enjoying themselves in the safest manner possible.

Hopefully can get going with the vaccine rollout before the Indian variant becomes a problem here.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1396397770924232704

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not quite as simple as that. The tourist dollars yay Everest expeditions bring in (and it is substantial) are crucial for local economies and, yes, that includes hospitals

I’m amazed it’s gone ahead this year. Virus is obviously rampant at base camp and it would be quite possible to come down with infection at higher camps and become incapacitated very quickly with no easy rescue possible . It’s madness.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Hopefully can get going with the vaccine rollout before the Indian variant becomes a problem here.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1396397770924232704

He never ever highlights the actual numbers unless they're terrifying, when they don't say much he just makes vague statements that suggest things are really bad. Bolton hospital numbers have gone from 20 covid patients last week, to 24 this week.

Fiona Noden, chief executive of Bolton NHS Foundation Trust said: “While we have seen a small increase in the number of patients we are treating for Covid there has been no impact on any other hospital services.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Would people ever stop posting Eric Feigl Ding tweets FFS

He never ever highlights the actual numbers unless they're terrifying, when they don't say much he just makes vague statements that suggest things are really bad. Bolton hospital numbers have gone from 20 covid patients last week, to 24 this week.

Fiona Noden, chief executive of Bolton NHS Foundation Trust said: “While we have seen a small increase in the number of patients we are treating for Covid there has been no impact on any other hospital services.”

Many scientists share a similar view . Its the pattern that is worrying not the numbers atm.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1396416400412000256

Many scientists share a similar view . Its the pattern that is worrying not the numbers atm.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1396416400412000256

I don't doubt that this variant will become the dominant strain in the UK, it's well on it's way to that. And of course it should be approached with caution and monitored closely.

But it also looks to be the case that the current vaccines do work reasonably well against it.

Suggesting hospitals are already filling up is nonsense at this point, there has been a slight increase in the worst affected area in the UK, but if you were to take his tweet at face value you'd think it was full on crisis again, which is simply not the case.

Countries that haven't got a strong vaccine programme yet should be very careful to reduce the chances of this strain taking hold as it does appear to have a transmission advantage.

I don't doubt that this variant will become the dominant strain in the UK, it's well on it's way to that. And of course it should be approached with caution and monitored closely.

But it also looks to be the case that the current vaccines do work reasonably well against it.

Suggesting hospitals are already filling up is nonsense at this point, there has been a slight increase in the worst affected area in the UK, but if you were to take his tweet at face value you'd think it was full on crisis again, which is simply not the case.

Countries that haven't got a strong vaccine programme yet should be very careful to reduce the chances of this strain taking hold as it does appear to have a transmission advantage.

They do work well, that's why I said its a race between vaccines and this new variant a few days ago.
    Variants of concern are likely to stay continuing to be a problem.
    HSE need to set out precise outbreak management surveillance at this stage. Rather than just looking at what the UK are doing and copying weeks later.
    I hope Holohan and C are asked about this at some stage. What is the plan going forward etc

They do work well, that's why I said its a race between vaccines and this new variant a few days ago.
    HSE need to set out precise outbreak management surveillance at this stage. Rather than just looking at what the UK are doing and copying weeks later.
    I hope Holohan and C are asked about this at some stage. What is the plan going forward etc

I'd agree with all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don 't agree that any country is following the UK . Obviously their research is being looked at , with such a large population semi vaccinated , just like Israel was of interest to everybody

Their decision to space out Pfizer doses so far ( 12 weeks ) is one of the reasons they are worried about this growth in the Indian variant which is a threat to all those vulnerable cohorts of people only with one dose.
    They are now trying to row back and get second doses sooner into these people who are much more at risk of serious illness and death than some of the younger age groups that they have been vaccinating recently so that they could open up .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Guys just wanna check something here.
    I’ve been informed that one of my daughters is a close contact from the childcare.
    We are going for a test today.
    Do I have to restrict her movements and take her out of school for 10 days if her test comes back negative?
    If it’s positive she’s out for 14 days?

Also her older sister is in the same childcare setting but different pod so she’s not classed as a close contact but I’m getting her tested too.
    Should I be taking her outta school too?

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/school-and-covid-19/if-your-child-is-a-close-contact-of-covid-19-in-school.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

tom1ie wrote: »
    Guys just wanna check something here.
    I’ve been informed that one of my daughters is a close contact from the childcare.
    We are going for a test today.
    Do I have to restrict her movements and take her out of school for 10 days if her test comes back negative?
    If it’s positive she’s out for 14 days?

Also her older sister is in the same childcare setting but different pod so she’s not classed as a close contact but I’m getting her tested too.
    Should I be taking her outta school too?

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/school-and-covid-19/if-your-child-is-a-close-contact-of-covid-19-in-school.html

Yes afaik , out for 10 days and 2 tests unless you are informed otherwise .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So its gone from black clouds on the horizon, to grey clouds that need monitoring,
    They be doing weather forecasts next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

ZX7R wrote: »
    So its gone from black clouds on the horizon, to grey clouds that need monitoring,
    They be doing weather forecasts next!

Looks like it but at least grey clouds you can eat and drink outside......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Looks like it but at least grey clouds you can eat and drink outside......

Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes afaik , out for 10 days and 2 tests unless you are informed otherwise .

Thanks.
    So we are going for the first test now when do we go for the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well after being an advocate of the best vaccine is the one offered first I am now slightly miffed that the 60-69 all got Astra Zeneca . To get a decent efficy against the Indian variant we need to have a second dose and that is 12 weeks instead of 4 with Pfizer . I feel a bit peed off today that we got absolutely no choice whatsoever at the time
    Glad to be vaccinated of course but it seems the spiel with consider yourself fully vaccinated 4 weeks after dose 1 was not strictly true .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1396492638388473863

As of midnight, Saturday 22nd May, the @hpscireland
    has been notified of 438* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

43 in ICU. 116 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data validation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well after being an advocate of the best vaccine is the one offered first I am now slightly miffed that the 60-69 all got Astra Zeneca . To get a decent efficy against the Indian variant we need to have a second dose and that is 12 weeks instead of 4 with Pfizer . I feel a bit peed off today that we got absolutely no choice whatsoever at the time
    Glad to be vaccinated of course but it seems the spiel with consider yourself fully vaccinated 4 weeks after dose 1 was not strictly true .

It certainly seems for less serious symptomtic illness that Pfizer is better, but for serious it may be more similar. Some have said that after a period further down the road, the 2 vaccines may be more similar in efficacy.

I do wonder whether there are implications for HCW's if they are all working and not as protected against variants.

Advertisement