Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

posted in error and cannot delete on this godawful new site

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Undermining this kind of thread. That's a good one. Sleep tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hospital numbers 486 at 8pm Sunday night, up 8 on Sunday morning but down 22 on the same time last week

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A few sneaky hotel pints were had I reckon by a few attended that thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Lady across the aisle on the bus at the mo isn't wearing a mask. Nor shoes or socks. I wonder if there's a correlation 🤔

• Advertisement

Have you never noticed that positive tests exceed confirmed cases?

And of course the guidance is for those processing results. Maybe you think it should be “your COVID-19 test returned a result of detected with ct of 29. Here is the guidance, decide yourself what it means”

If someone returns as positive test, are asymptomatic and vaccinated, if there are they are confirmed positive you would imagine they didn’t have a high ct.

In the case of the person you know, if they are asymptomatic and fully vaccinated, why did they get tested? Was it after a positive antigen test, in which case they have the virus. Or was it for travel? Otherwise they needn’t have got tested. Community referrals or self referrals for pcr are presumed to be for people who meet the criteria for testing. If they registered for the test and didn’t meet the criteria they were lumped in with all those who were symptomatic. Symptomatic positives with high ct are treated as positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The results dont give you the CT. The issue is the preferential treatment a politician is getting by finding out that information and getting a retest while the numerous others in the same position dont. Thats unfair when its putting a massive burden on people, and it sends out the wrong message to people that if you test positive and dont have symptoms you can plough on.

And your missing a reason for a test, being a close contact of a confirmed case.

Asymptomatic close contacts who are vaccinated don’t have to do pcr, just antigen test and get per test if positive or they develop symptoms. The system assumes this. If the testers know that you are not a close contact, are asymptomatic and vaccinated they treat it differently. They knew all that for Ryan. When you register for a test though when you don’t meet criteria, you are de facto telling them you meet the criteria for testing therefore they don’t consider all these factors. You should not schedule a PCR if you are vaccinated and don’t have symptoms.

There is also no evidence that there are a significant amount of high ct positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

It strikes me that in Eamon Ryan's haste to go to Glasgow, for lets face it, something he won't have any influence at, he has managed to further undermine the public's trust in how Hse management operate.

People have already lost interest in what politician's and the cmo say, this won't help with them sticking to the remaining restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So Gavan Reilly requested details on this and got back a response, which to be fair is a boilerplate.

But for the most part it suggests that repeat tests are only scheduled where a discussion has taken place between the lab and the person requesting the test - presumably a doctor - and the result appears out of sync with the clinical presentation of the patient.

There doesn't appear to be any suggestion that when someone presents themselves for a precautionary test without symptoms, that anyone will contact them about their test. Of the thousands of people who took precautionary tests and came back positive, have any of them been contacted for a repeat test? Or is it coincidental that it was a sitting Government Minister who got a phone call?

It seems a lot more likely that someone (probably in NPHET) piped and told him he should get tested again, and when it came back negative that same person said he was good to travel.

If it is a case - as you suggest - that asymptomatic people with no reason to suspect infection should not get tested, then they should say that. But we know that's not the case, considering that when they opened the first walk-in test centres, it was explicitly for asymptomatic people who were not close contacts.

So under what circumstances will a self-referral get a callback? This is a complete mess. There is definitely more to come out in the wash with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its actually worse than Merriongate, if, as it appears, tens of thousands of people have had to needlessly self isolate, heads should roll for this. But alas this is Ireland, and imo largely due to a cosiness with the media, public figures are rarely made accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So close to Christmas with so many cases still being reported around us says a lot of extra caution. Next Christmas will have a lot more tools available.

Some employers are glad of the excuse to not have to shell out a few grand on a Xmas party.

You can guarantee they're not nearly as "extra cautious" when it comes to revenue-generating activities in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Bingo. Same scenario in work.

As an aside, I got the flu jab yesterday afternoon and I am feeling like shíte. Hooray..

Hospital numbers at 498 this morning. Net increase of 55 over the weekend, which is high-average for the last few weekends. Down a net 17 over the week, which is all good.

Has anyone heard of a double vaccinated child getting covid? We all have it here at the moment both parents double vaccinated a few months ago with pfizer and 2 children too young to be vaccinted.

The one child who was double vaccinated recently has seemed to escape it and I hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Viz Eamon Ryan, must say it really annoys me he got a second test and I don't see why they can refuse any of us a second test now if we want it / think the first result "might" be wrong. It also completely undermines any argument against antigen testing too. My 13 year old is currently awaiting results of a PCR test I (bigger fool me) insisted he get for fairly mild, generic, symptoms. I'm 99% sure he doesn't have covid but he is missing school (again) waiting for the result. I'm sorry I sent him for the PCR test now on myriad grounds - not least that I no longer trust whatever result he gets. Its antigen testing only for my family in future. If we get a positive antigen test then we will get a PCR test. This clown has undermined the entire test system because he "really" wants to go to a conference where he will add absolutely nothing.... I have berated people on here for their "us" and "them" language throughout the pandemic but jaysus this one really does smack of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Hospitals will be just as busy next Christmas.

David Quinn was on Newstalk earlier.

He said in no other country in Europe did civil liberties have as little consideration as in Ireland.

The public health vs civil liberties balance was completely ignored in Ireland despite death rates being similar to nations who afforded civil liberties more importance than Ireland.

We've accepted that we are willing to mitigate public health risk's at all costs.

Covid is endemic, and so is the way of life we've accepted.

If it's not safe now, it won't be safe then

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume this is off the back of his Sunday Times piece.

https://archive.ph/bnYr9

edit: he mentions Denmark, who interestingly have a very similar pattern of covid cases over the last four months, albeit at a lower level. They lifted restrictions on Sept 10.

edit #2: from today's news...

Danish Prime Minister Says New Virus Restrictions Are Needed

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-08/danish-prime-minister-says-new-virus-restrictions-are-needed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sleepy Eamon scores another own goal.

• Advertisement

Eamon Ryan scandal may finally lead to more people not getting needlessly tested.

Hopefully the penny is finally dropping here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely. Whether he's actually positive or negative, he should have just sucked it up and isolated for the 10 days, he really should know that in his high profile position he has to be seen to do the "correct" thing and how its going to be perceived if he doesn't. If you're explaining you're losing. So what if he misses his little trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well people may dispute the "needlessly" bit, but what is not in dispute is that this will lead to less people getting tested. The ego of these guys beggars all belief.

A lot of asymptomatic people who test positive have long questioned if they are positive at all.

No wonder many aren't bothering with the isolation anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Just heard the job have cancelled the Xmas party ffs health and safety considerations etc... Absolute nonsense as we are all just to go on the piss anyway regardless. People are so sick of this crap now i can see and hear it everyone is fed up.

It does look like a lot of employers are relieved due to hassle of these parties.

People will just have to have a little party with their own close colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Trinity colleges annual Christmas homecoming event is cancelled for the second year in a row. How will next year be any different to this year ???

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Well we are getting 300 euro all for one cards same as last year so not all bad i suppose so it's probably costing them more in the long run . It's just all very silly as people are going to enjoy themselves anyway and are sick of hiding away. Human beings need interaction and enjoyment not health and safety crap at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭feelings

How many does of the vaccine are we sitting on unused at the moment? We've administered approx. 7.4 million doses but I read a few weeks ago that we had well over 9 million delivered. So do we have a stock pile of over 2 million doses now?

So why are we sitting on so many unused doses? What was the delay in getting them to people vaccinated in Jan/Feb etc?

• Advertisement

TBH, I’m not upset at all the Xmas parties are cancelled. I’d much rather go out with colleagues on our own terms rather than some corporate organised gig. Have always felt that way

Advertisement