Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

Seeing as you're dishing out chapter and verse, I'll confide in you a perennial classic: "Judge not lest ye be judged".

Well I can be judged on a lot of things but at least I can say I didbt contribute to the problem and made sacrifices even though my own mental health suffered at times. On a positive note hopefully if we can keep the numbers down over the next few weeks hopefully the vaccine will stop any further rises

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tell all the people that are unemployed or those whose businesses are in tatters that it's "a small price to pay". Such condescending drivel.

Let's put this back to what she was referring to. It was somebody having house parties nearby while she is trying to do her bit by sticking to the regulations. Whose actions will get society up and running the quickest?

She didn't close, or call for the closing of, any employment.
    The small price referred to was keeping to the restrictions by not having indoor parties and reducing close contacts - not the closing of the economy.

Maybe read the exchange in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Maybe read the exchange in full.

I already have and my point stands.

But thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

bennyl10 wrote: »
    What?

Younger people those in the main being infected it was we expect to see and it shows vaccines are working and protecting the most vulnerable.

This shouldn’t lead to an increase in seriously ill or those in hospital.

Just so, but it was not apparent from your post that this is what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just looking through the HSE's information for some light reading.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing
    Total Tests Completed
    Total Positive Tests
    Total Positive Rate (%)

Secondary to this....
    Total Cases Hospitalised
    Total Cases Requiring ICU
    Healthcare Worker Cases

We're still on the Up....

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2020/

Population 2020 - 4,977,400

Sadly,Deaths continue to plague our species...

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fr/fr-ucd2020/analysisofunderlyingcauseofdeathdataincludingcovid-19januarytooctober2020/

January 2020 - October 2020

Total deaths registered 22,416

COVID-19 Related Deaths
    COVID-19 was the fourth UCOD and accounts for 1,462 deaths or just over 6.5% of total deaths in the year to date
    COVID-19 was:
    the fifth highest UCOD in the 65 – 79 and the 80 and over age categories
    the sixth highest for the 50 – 64 age group
    the eight highest in the 25 – 49 age group
    not in the top 10 UCOD for the under 25 age group

Perhaps it's time to attract those who've existed,and often worked for the past 14 months,and NOT developed any symptoms,NOT taken any special precautions save for occasionally masking up in shops or where otherwise legally required to do so.

Where do the c.90% of presumably healthy,people with presumably effective natural immune systems,who have NOT come to the attention of Covid fit into all of this.

Do these people count in any of this ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

wut?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time to attract those who've existed

It's time to attract people who've existed???
    Maybe work out what's wrong with that sentence and you'll work out what's wrong with whatever bogus theory you're trying to peddle here.

You're attempting to 'other' anyone without a 'healthy natural immune system', whatever the **** that means.
    What's an un-natural immune system???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Great to see those vaccination numbers flying up.

Kudos to all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Zebra3 wrote: »

We should easily hit 2 million first doses by end of month I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Vaccine Type Breakdowns
    • Pfizer/BioNTech: 1,138,738 (+7,740) (41% of vaccines)
    • Moderna: 79,300 (+1,502) (8% of vaccines)
    • AstraZeneca: 373,859 (+9,857) (52% of vaccines)
    • Janssen: 0 (+0)

How is Astra at 52% with only 373k vaccines compared to Pfizer/BionTech at 41% with 1.13m vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Underestimated the denominator

Maybe somebody that has to ask that question might no understand your answer.

Tell all the people that are unemployed or those whose businesses are in tatters that it's "a small price to pay". Such condescending drivel.

So they are entitled to party are they?they are getting paid

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    So they are entitled to party are they?

People are entitled to live on their own terms as they see fit. All the condemnation in the world won't stop them.

This pointing of fingers reveals an unpleasant aspect to Irish society, "they're on PUP so they have no right to enjoy themselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How is Astra at 52% with only 373k vaccines compared to Pfizer/BionTech at 41% with 1.13m vaccines?

Az accounts for 52% of vaccines on Saturday.

People are entitled to live on their own terms as they see fit. All the condemnation in the world won't stop them.

This pointing of fingers reveals an unpleasant aspect to Irish society, "they're on PUP so they have no right to enjoy themselves".

There're restrictions in place for a reason. Some people didn't abide by any restrictions. No we are not all entitled to do as we like unfortunately. I wish we were but we can't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    So they are entitled to party are they?they are getting paid

I mentioned nothing about people partying :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I mentioned nothing about people partying :confused:

This is the point made earlier. The people partying is what the discussion is about.

You're at cross purposes with the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Zebra3 wrote: »

It’s flying up now. Mighty stuff

The danger has passed

Realistically cohort 7 could cocoon themselves for the few weeks it would take to get the vaccine and for it to take effect if the country reopened in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It’s flying up now. Mighty stuff

The danger has passed

Realistically cohort 7 could cocoon themselves for the few weeks it would take to get the vaccine and for it to take effect if the country reopened in the morning.
    Cocoon themselves ? These are people who work , frontline workers , carers , bus drivers , retail workers etc etc living breathing ordinary folk ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Cocoon themselves ? These are people who work , frontline workers , carers , bus drivers , retail workers etc etc living breathing ordinary folk ?

Cohort 7 are at high risk of severe disease. They should definitely take extra care until they are vaccinated. If all of Ireland opened up tomorrow then, yes, the advice would be for these people to shield themselves as much as possible.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Cohort 7 are at high risk of severe disease. They should definitely take extra care until they are vaccinated. If all of Ireland opened up tomorrow then, yes, the advice would be for these people to shield themselves as much as possible.

Or at very least you wait for them to be vaccinated before we all open up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Or at very least you wait for them to be vaccinated before we all open up

Which is what we are doing within certain pragmatic limits. I think you may have misunderstood or misread the post you were replying to. It stated:

IF
    Ireland opened up in the morning.
    Cohort 7 should consider cocooning under they are fully vaccinated.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Which is what we are doing within certain pragmatic limits. I think you may have misunderstood or misread the post you were replying to. It stated:

IF
    Ireland opened up in the morning.
    Cohort 7 should consider cocooning under they are fully vaccinated.

My worry right now is that Cohort 7 have been completely forgotten . Forgotten by people clammering to get under 40 etc vaccinated . Forgotten by the HSE , forgotten by GP’s and forgotten by the rollout plan . They barely get a mention in the press or media but they are falling between the cracks and it upsets me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Your telling me there are citizens in cohort 7 that are working as frontline HCWs and carers and not yet vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

My worry right now is that Cohort 7 have been completely forgotten . Forgotten by people clammering to get under 40 etc vaccinated . Forgotten by the HSE , forgotten by GP’s and forgotten by the rollout plan . They barely get a mention in the press or media but they are falling between the cracks and it upsets me

Seems to depend where you are from, anyone I know in cohort 7 have been vaccinated,, also know people who are neighbours but have different gps, one mid sixties calling their gp but no call for vaccination yet, the other mid forties and got a call from their gp to get the vaccine Wednesday, so one gp seems to be over twenty years ahead in age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

One issue with opening up fully now is that business and unemployment supports would end but demand would still be heavily suppressed because sane people aren't going to be going into pubs and restaurants unvaccinated.

I'm not sure how you replace those supports. AFAIK normal unemployment benefits are lower than PUP and there is no fallback alternative to the business supports.

It could mean, perversely, more businesses going under.

Seems to depend where you are from, anyone I know in cohort 7 have been vaccinated,, also know people who are neighbours but have different gps, one mid sixties calling their gp but no call for vaccination yet, the other mid forties and got a call from their gp to get the vaccine Wednesday, so one gp seems to be over twenty years ahead in age groups.

Definitely depends on area and GP . Presumably some GP have less elderly on their books or less in Cohort 4 etc
    Some GPs in large estates in Dublin are not even started on the cohorts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Lumen wrote: »
    One issue with opening up fully now is that business and unemployment supports would end but demand would still be heavily suppressed because sane people aren't going to be going into pubs and restaurants unvaccinated.

I'm not sure how you replace those supports. AFAIK normal unemployment benefits are lower than PUP and there is no fallback alternative to the business supports.

It could mean, perversely, more businesses going under.

I think they would get plenty business from the unvaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think they would get plenty business from the unvaccinated.

Places were rammed at Xmas with 0 vaccines handed out.

Advertisement