Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

is_that_so wrote: »
    NPHET called that short sharp shock approach a false hope, especially given we are not an isolated rock in the Pacific.

Well yeah particularly if you’re totally unwilling to implement any of it until the virus is properly endemic. Then you try to retrofit bits of it like mandatory hotel quarantine and also bolt all your polities to the UK government and its even more halfassed policies.

We never had a hope in hell of zero COVID and it’s nothing to do with geography, but because we weren’t willing to even consider anything strict early on.

It’s far, far too late now. So the only solutions are technical.

We made decisions far too slowly and I think we’ve been like deer caught in headlights since Christmas.

The vaccines hopefully will get us out of this by the end of the summer, but it’s fairly obvious that it’s been grossly mishandled right across Europe & the US, not just here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Mike3549 wrote: »
    There was a shortage of masks, if public bought them, there woyld be none left for hcw

So let people spread and catch it more really 🀔

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That was mostly about border sanitary controls and short sharp get it out of the system lockdown, in few weeks and reopen to New Zealand like normality. It’s not something anyone was really willing to do though and it’s far far too late and too complicated with the open UK border.

They weren’t advocating months and months and months and months of restrictions in that. Rather the complete opposite.

We went for the slow and painful approach, along with the rest of Europe.

The zero COVID ship sailed early on in the outbreak really.

The choices are made and there’s no point in complaining about the endemic COVID. It’s here to stay and vaccines are now really the only show in town.

Zero covid would require months of a very strict lockdown. She was asking for it back in march of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Perhaps it's been ranted at already earlier, but WTF with TIME LIMITS of 1.5 hours coming back for internal drinking and eating when things open in July. Given there are no meal requirements, people that want more pints will just go pub to pub. What's the problem here?

Zero covid would require months of a very strict lockdown. She was asking for it back in march of this year.

Once again folks can anybody kindly tell me here why the daily deaths are not been Announced, ?

• Advertisement

We basically had months of a very strict lockdown anyway. I don’t really see much difference tbh.

We seem to have managed to roll with both widespread infections and a rather miserable lockdown that lasted months and months and months.

We haven’t been able to go beyond 5km from our house for much of the year, then only within counties, international travel is still basically banned.

So I’m not sure how worse it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well yeah particularly if you’re totally unwilling to implement any of it until the virus is properly endemic. Then you try to retrofit bits of it like mandatory hotel quarantine and also bolt all your polities to the UK government and its even more halfassed policies.

We never had a hope in hell of zero COVID and it’s nothing to do with geography, but because we weren’t willing to even consider anything strict early on.

It’s far, far too late now. So the only solutions are technical.
    They advised, the government by and large implemented it. Neither ever supported the use of Zero COVID and our circumstances are very different to NZ by dint of being in the EU. Few countries worldwide did embrace it overall.

faolteam wrote: »
    Once again folks can anybody kindly tell me here why the daily deaths are not been Announced, ?
    The HSE IT issue.

They advised, the government by and large implemented it. Neither ever supported the use of Zero COVID and our circumstances are very different to NZ by dint of being in the EU. Few countries worldwide did embrace it overall.

But sure it’s illegal to go to the EU at the moment. You’ll be fined. Has been the case for months and will be until July.

If I want to go to Madrid or Berlin in the morning, I basically can’t. EU freedom of movement hasn’t been open for a long time at this stage.

Going to the US is absolutely no too.

Air transit is down well over 90%.

I won’t even be able to fly out of Cork airport until September as they’ve taken the opportunity to close it for a runway rebuild.

All I see is worst of both was implemented by a bunch of people who are painfully indecisive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We basically had months of a very strict lockdown anyway. I don’t really see much difference tbh.

We seem to have managed to roll with both widespread infections and a rather miserable lockdown that lasted months and months and months.

We haven’t been able to go beyond 5km from our house for much of the year, then only within counties, international travel is still basically banned.

So I’m not sure how worse it could have been.

That still didn't get us down to single digit cases like the social democrats were calling for back in march. So, imagine how much worse it would have had to have been to get to single digit cases a day.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    There wasn't evidence to support the mandating of facemasks at the very beginning. There had been some study previously on the usefulness of facemasks in clinical settings versus influenza, but it was pretty equivocal on non-medical grade face coverings in non-clinical settings (particularly for a novel Coronavirus).

If droplets and fomites had been a much bigger deal, then inappropriately used facemasks may have created problems.

It's all easy to say in hindsight that they should have been promoted earlier, but there's an understandable hesitancy in medicine and public health to mandate people to do things without an evidence base.

I agree hindsight and all that and what u say , but I was talking with a Chinese guy in February 2019 and he told me then people need to wear the mask, it's just so amazing that this wasn't pushed sooner. I know people have a choice just my tuppence worth

But sure it’s illegal to go to the EU at the moment. You’ll be fined. Has been the case for months and will be until July.

All I see is worst of both was implemented by a bunch of people who are painfully indecisive.
    No, it isn't illegal, non-essential travel is what the fines are for. The EU were very quick to encourage countries not to close borders to other members and they've remained open apart from our expensive prison system, with its random list of dangerous countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Perhaps it's been ranted at already earlier, but WTF with TIME LIMITS of 1.5 hours coming back for internal drinking and eating when things open in July. Given there are no meal requirements, people that want more pints will just go pub to pub. What's the problem here?

Ask the publicans groups and failte Ireland, they suggested it.

The HSE IT issue.

Ah come on we get the daily cases and can't get the smaller figures for deaths surely this can be done manually and I'm pretty certain this was nothing to do with the IT issue

No, it isn't illegal, non-essential travel is what the fines are for. The EU were very quick to encourage countries not to close borders to other members and they've remained open.

If it’s closed for non essential travel, which has very narrow definitions, then it’s closed. EU freedom of movement isn’t available right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ah come on we get the daily cases and can't get the smaller figures for deaths surely this can be done manually and I'm pretty certain this was nothing to do with the IT issue

We're not getting the proper daily cases though.

Deaths are reported into the HSPC system and can take up to 3 months under the current law. If the system isn't up they can't be accurately reported. Swab data comes from labs.

If it’s closed for non essential travel, which has very narrow definitions, then it’s closed. EU freedom of movement isn’t available right now.
    Eh it is, pretty much everywhere. In our case nobody will stop you going, but you might be fined if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

When they did have the daily death numbers, at least in recent weeks they were often way out of date. There was one day in late-April or early-May when 8 or 9 deaths were announced: 2 or 3 from each of January, February and March. The registration and notification process is very slow, and the daily data conveyed almost not useful information.

Deaths are reported into the HSPC system and can take up to 3 months under the current law. If the system isn't up they can't be accurately reported. Swab data comes from labs.

Fair enough but if someone dies of Covid can this not be manually old fashioned way so we have. A rough idea seems to me now even the daily figures of Covid related is been pulled out of the air

• Advertisement

When they did have the daily death numbers, at least in recent weeks they were often way out of date. There was one day in late-April or early-May when 8 or 9 deaths were announced: 2 or 3 from each of January, February and March. The registration and notification process is very slow, and the daily data conveyed almost not useful information.
    It isn't terribly useful apart from for bunfights over the IFR but as stated at least 100 times before up it can take 3 months to report a death. That's one law that needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Ask the publicans groups and failte Ireland, they suggested it.

The vintner associations most definately did not ask for this unworkable 105 minute rule.It will only lead to the unwelcome pub crawl.Bord Failte pen pushers
    who never ran a business now thats a different matter.

Fair enough but if someone dies of Covid can this not be manually old fashioned way so we have. A rough idea seems to me now even the daily figures of Covid related is been pulled out of the air

You'd have to ask the HPSC and I believe that they have archaic structures anyway!

Eh it is, pretty much everywhere. In our case nobody will stop you going, but you might be fined if you do.

That’s just a bit of a playing with words though. The fact that you’re fined if you travel means you can’t - EU freedom of movement is suspended at the moment. There’s no point in kidding ourselves about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

lukas8888 wrote: »
    The vintner associations most definately did not ask for this unworkable 105 minute rule.It will only lead to the unwelcome pub crawl.Bord Failte pen pushers
    who never ran a business now thats a different matter.

The 105 minute limit wasn't applied in any of the places I went to last time around. It was always a daft rule, more likely to result in super spreading events with the same infected person travelling from pub to pub. Anyway, even if they do have the rule again this time around, I expect no one will be following the rule by the end of July (if not earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Nice stable numbers. Vaccine effect has offset any increase from re-opening of intercounty travel. Decent chance that case numbers will fall a bit between now and the next phase of re-opening on 2nd/7th June, as vaccine effect gathers pace.

The same decrease happened last summer with no vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The 105 minute limit wasn't applied in any of the places I went to last time around. It was always a daft rule, more likely to result in super spreading events with the same infected person travelling from pub to pub. Anyway, even if they do have the rule again this time around, I expect no one will be following the rule by the end of July (if not earlier).

Elsewhere I read that this limit was again only applying if there wasn't 2 metre distance ie for those using the new 1m rule. Honestly, the drip feeding of scattered and contradictory info from Govt. is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Elsewhere I read that this limit was again only applying if there wasn't 2 metre distance ie for those using the new 1m rule. Honestly, the drip feeding of scattered and contradictory info from Govt. is a joke.

It's not contradictory you've just read it wrong.

1m allowed outdoors, no time limit, well because its outdoors

Indoors same as last summer:
    1m allowed indoors with 105 time limit (rarely actually enforced and probably even less so this year)
    2m no time limit

Some of the guidelines are silly but they're pretty straightforward in terms of what's being asked

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Does anyone understand the reasoning behind the 105 minutes ? I don’t get it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone understand the reasoning behind the 105 minutes ? I don’t get it ?

If I go out to watch a match, I'll miss the last couple of minutes of it. Meanwhile in London, 80,000 will be attending said match.

Advertisement